Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A Shadowrun MMO, would it work? (Read 608 times)
Diogenes
Ex Member

A Shadowrun MMO, would it work?
Nov 23rd, 2011 at 9:49am
Print Post  
This is not on the horizon at all, I'd definitely play it if it were done correctly.

Using the same kind of combat that DDO uses where people with wired reflexes get more faster attacks and faster movement.

Decking would be a separate system, but anyone could attempt it (though only deckers would be able to break security systems to any reasonable measure)

The astral plane could be interesting...as well as the risks/benefits of astral sight.

Platinum docwagon contracts where the HTR comes to extract your dying/dead self could be funny.

The fatigue system for magic use I think could be implemented.

Riggers...hm...running multiple drones remotely would almost be more RTS.

The essence system limiting cybernetics in magic users and how much hardware a body could take should work. The money for cyberware might be difficult...I suppose there could be a favor system that would allow you access instead of just spending nuyen....this would be consistent with SR.

Ambushes could still be just as deadly.

Anyway, just thoughts.

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Re: A Shadowrun MMO, would it work?
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:14am
Print Post  
It was done horribly on the xbox360 a few years ago.

IP Logged

Diogenes
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Yeah, and a few attempts in the 90s.

Apparently there was a rumor of development, but looks like that's probably dead.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:14am:
It was done horribly on the xbox360 a few years ago.

It had Shadowrun name on it because the studio that made it had the rights for Shadowrun named games. But if you looked at the background it wasn't Shadowrun...
They only used the Megacorp concept and the UGE one... and forgot about everything else.

Anyway I'd sign right away for a Shadowrun MMO, as it is mandatory to have a combat system like DDO for it to work.
( and I'm not even talking about the interraction system they have to put in place for the legwork of the various missions. )
That reminds me that I haven't checked Dumpshock lately.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Absolutely.  Even the 90's console games kept me interested and playing them over and over again.  A properly done shadowrun MMO might be the only thing that could drag me away from DDO.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Siver
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Would love to see a well crafted Shadowrun MMO, but it probably wouldn't happen. First, last I checked, Microsoft owns the rights to any computer versions of the old FASA products, so that's a mark against a decent MMO coming out. Second, the last Shadowrun video game kind of flopped. Third, doing it properly would be about as challenging as making three or four traditional MMOs. You'd have your "real world" system, a matrix system (which, based on 4th edition shadowrun, would have to mesh with the real world system), a magic system (including astral travel), and rigging (which could be reasonably done with a well built pet system, plus the ability to use a drone on a mission as your avatar). You'd basically be designing three worlds, which have limited interactions with each other, while having the ability to be on multiple levels at the same time (Everybody is always somewhere on the physical, most people can hop onto the matrix whenever they want, while magicians can go astral at any time, or simply peek into it to interact with the physical and astral.)

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 2:46am
Print Post  
Siver wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 4:29pm:
First, last I checked, Microsoft owns the rights to any computer versions of the old FASA products,

IIRC I think the licence for computer games reverted back to Wizkid last year. ( that needs to be checked and dug out from Dumpshock Archives though Cheesy )

As for making a viable/codable MMO out of it sadly I suspect they will have to drop the Matrix part.
As well, the Astral Plane would be just like a See Invisibility spell ( with a few perks though ) you get to see more stuff than the others when going astrally active.

IP Logged

Siver
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 6:01am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Nov 24th, 2011 at 2:46am:
IIRC I think the licence for computer games reverted back to Wizkid last year. ( that needs to be checked and dug out from Dumpshock Archives though Cheesy )

As for making a viable/codable MMO out of it sadly I suspect they will have to drop the Matrix part.
As well, the Astral Plane would be just like a See Invisibility spell ( with a few perks though ) you get to see more stuff than the others when going astrally active.

So, no matrix. Astral plane is basically just stealth and detection. So, pretty much a shooting game with "magic" added on? Does that sound like a game that somebody already tried, like on the XBox 360?

I know it's probably silly, but if someone tries to make a Shadowrun MMO, I'd like to see them do it right. Now, the matrix thing, I could see them having as a throwback to first/second/third edition, where you don't have to deal with the meat body while you're doing matrix overwatch. You basically have your own little combat system going on while the rest of the party is dealing with theirs. Kind of like how a Shadowrun game is supposed to go, only with a GM for each team. Doing it while you have a body to take care of would be a little too annoying, I think.

As for the astral, I'd personally want to see it done properly, rather than as some silly slapped on "see invisible" mechanic. By which I mean including astral perception (which could be interesting, targeting enemies in astral space or in real space), astral travel (where you cannot do anything to people in the physical world, but can still scout around a bit), and the metaplanes (solo or magician group quests for xp and other neat gimmicks).

Honestly, one well designed engine could probably handle all three styles of gameplay (physical, matrix, astral), but the challenge I was seeing is in integrating them.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #8 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 6:12am
Print Post  
Time will tell, but I what I wrote is my guess when it comes to shortcuts taken by a theorical design team.

I really hope they don't take them and do it right, but there's a huge gape between my hopes and the eventual reality.

IP Logged

Lord Alberonn
Korthos Resident

There's a cache around
here somewhere...

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
The matrix could be done, but it would have the people jacked in doing their own thing while the rest of the team either goes after other objectives or provides cover from any incoming trouble. If the decker can for instance, take over security from outside, then they could help the team by opening doors or taking over some of the buildings defence/security systems. Tricky to implement maybe, but not impossible.

Get legal and free Talislanta RPG PDFs at www.talislanta.com
Still no elves!
IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
This is not on the horizon at all, I'd definitely play it if it were done correctly.

Using the same kind of combat that DDO uses where people with wired reflexes get more faster attacks and faster movement.

Decking would be a separate system, but anyone could attempt it (though only deckers would be able to break security systems to any reasonable measure)

The astral plane could be interesting...as well as the risks/benefits of astral sight.

Platinum docwagon contracts where the HTR comes to extract your dying/dead self could be funny.

The fatigue system for magic use I think could be implemented.

Riggers...hm...running multiple drones remotely would almost be more RTS.

The essence system limiting cybernetics in magic users and how much hardware a body could take should work. The money for cyberware might be difficult...I suppose there could be a favor system that would allow you access instead of just spending nuyen....this would be consistent with SR.

Ambushes could still be just as deadly.

Anyway, just thoughts.

How about physical adepts?

IP Logged

Diogenes
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 9:32am
Print Post  
NaturalHazard wrote on Feb 3rd, 2012 at 10:19pm:
How about physical adepts?

If cybernetics/bioware worked out physical adepts would be dead simple...a lot of the same effects.

Initiating (for adepts and full mages) would need to be difficult but not crazy like SWG's 1st jedi unlocking mechanism.

IP Logged

Crazeee
Waterworks Kobold

I Am Drama!

Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2012 at 7:52am
Print Post  
It will only work if it has Squirt Guns Wink

Squirt Guns? Yes! http://spoonyexperiment.com/2011/10/08/shadowrun-the-squirt-gun-wars/

Opinions are like assholes: everybody has one... but they all stink.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint