Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Is the game dying? (Read 54061 times)
Sham
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Random Effects
on Named Loot! - No one
ever

Is the game dying?
Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:04am
Print Post  
High end level pugs are few nowadays. Doesn't affect me too much but it's disparaging.

Do you guys think the game is dying or is it the combination of the holidays, star wars, and skyrim?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Re: Is the game dying?
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Sham wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:04am:
High end level pugs are few nowadays. Doesn't affect me too much but it's disparaging.

Do you guys think the game is dying or is it the combination of the holidays, star wars, and skyrim?

Combination.  I am actually sad that I have the collectors edition of star wars.  After the beta I am pretty meh over it.  It will be fun the first run through or two - after that I would rather kill bunnies.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Sham wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:04am:

Combination of the above plus the changes made to epic and raids killed ( more or less ) pugs.

As people don't want to risk certain failure they plan these things through private channels, guild runs where drama is kept low and parties can be sorted so that success is a near certainty.

Or put more prosaically : why should I bother to PuG it when I can run it with people I know to be reliable and with decent characters ? Lets say in XxPrivateChannelxX that I want to do YY raid in a few minutes and write down who wants to come with me and when they are available.

Typical example is Shroud, it should be a walk in the park on normal for LVL 20s not a Bearded Devil Blade Death Lottery.

« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:27am by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Razcar
Dragon Raider

Jag Älskar Drama!

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Yes I think it is dying. (Of course it will not die as such, hell they are still running Asheron's Call, but peter out.) The newbies that came with F2P are beginning to bitch like old vets. They are getting tired of the content, irritated on Turbine's constant fuck-ups, money-grabbing schemes, weird development priorities that constantly goes against what the player base is asking for, and bad game decisions. And there's a lot of other fun stuff to play, or on the horizon.

And I do not think DDO any longer attracts more new players than it is loosing. The buzz that came with Eberron Unlimited, on websites and game forums etc. has definitively died out. The people that didn't know about DDO from 2006-2009 have now checked it out and left, will never check it out, or are still playing but grumbling. Turbine would have to do a big investment to whip up some new influx and interest, and I'm not sure WB would be interested in that.

IP Logged

Hafeal
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:27am
Print Post  
I agree with Flav. 

I don't think the game is close to being shut down in the next 6 months though. 

I think there is (and has been) a lack of vision as to where to go with DDO after getting the cap to 20.  They seem to be in 'tinker' mode and seem to 'tinker' with shit that isn't broken and leave the crap that is broken, broken.

Maybe it was Ms. Paiz who was the brains and not Fernando.

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:40am
Print Post  
I don't think it's dying, but I think it's kind of listless right now.  Part of the problem is communication -- we have absolutely zero idea of where the game is heading, and a lot of the recent changes/additions are "unpopular".  Since we don't know where they are going, we assume it is going to be more of the same.

If I were Turbine and read that, I'd say something like, "but we provide a yearly state of the game, and we laid everything out there!"  The problem is the state of the game reads like a PR fluff piece, and there is zero follow-up.

I honestly think that would be a good use of their CS reps.  If they are currently collecting feedback from the forums (as they claim to do) and sending it to devs, then they should turn it around and send some responses/feedback back the other way.  I'm not sure if the corporate culture of Turbine would allow it though.

IP Logged

Bahgoon
Stormreaver Piker

Get off my lawn!

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:45am
Print Post  
All things die. Life is naught but a sexually transmitted disease that is always fatal. What we perceive as time is but the entropy vector of the universe.

Wait, what was the question again?

Tongue

The various modes of worship which prevailed in the Roman world were all considered by the people as equally true; by the philosopher as equally false; and by the magistrate as equally useful.   - Edward Gibbon

IP Logged

Razcar
Dragon Raider

Jag Älskar Drama!

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Hafeal wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:27am:
I think there is (and has been) a lack of vision as to where to go with DDO after getting the cap to 20.  They seem to be in 'tinker' mode and seem to 'tinker' with shit that isn't broken and leave the crap that is broken, broken.

They need to increase the level cap. TRing is not cutting it, by far Having a MMO that is stuck on level cap for over two years is idiotic. MMO players want to develop their characters -and in a more rewarding way than relevelling you characters from 1-20 for e.g. +1 damage. Or at least get out all the PrE's asa-fucking-p.

They need to fire the exec producer and the producer, for lack of vision and shitty priorities. "Let's make casters more omnipotent and then let's listen to Shade when it comes to melees". And get rid of Eladrin, that fucking serial nerfer. All he does is he sits and makes arbitrary nerfs or wanks over his fucking pet project monks. With solid managers he would had been fired long ago for incompetence and personal prioritizations.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:40am:
If they are currently collecting feedback from the forums (as they claim to do) and sending it to devs, then they should turn it around and send some responses/feedback back the other way.  I'm not sure if the corporate culture of Turbine would allow it though.

I don't think that we as players help with that sometimes. There is some pent up frustration with reoccurring bugs, and the like. I can't even begin to understand the frustration with the year or more of silence before f2p went live. Unfortunately this all bubbles to the top whenever a dev, QA, or other rep tries to engage us on the other forums. When do they are immediately met with "You are screwing us asshole!" or something similar. I have been just as guilty of this as anyone else, so don't think I am pointing fingers or calling anyone out. I am calling all of us out. I think we need to acknowledge this and move past it.

Now, they have been doing some things well. They definitely did a good thing with the streak bonus. They also made it so premium folks could open hard/elite on 2nd and 3rd lives. That was pretty awesome. I don't think anyone can deny they did a really good thing here.

I am mixed on the buffing of some raids. The shroud, meh, it isn't so bad. On the other hand I can't get a fucking Abbot completion to save my life. WHY DO THEY FUCKING HATE US SO MUCH?

I have 4 lg ingredient bags and 2 lg collectible bags in my shared bank full of crap that I am not sure what some of it does. WHOA UP ON THIS STUFF JR. Can't some of this stuff be used to meet several different requirements?

Going back to the buffing of raids, nerfing of FvS wings. I think they overeacted in some respect, as these nerfs/buffs were directed at a handful of people that absolutely tear this game up. The level they play at is far above what the rest of us can achieve.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:57am by stainer »  

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:08am
Print Post  
The lag is the main killer for me.  It is horrible compared to many mmo's I have played.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:08am:
The lag is the main killer for me.  It is horrible compared to many mmo's I have played.

I don't have experience in other MMO's, but I agree lag is tough at times. What I don't understand is QA/Devs don't always see it like we do, even on their home machines. There is some kind of disconnect there. It is like what we call lag is something entirely different to them. I dunno.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

aurora1979
Waterworks Kobold

A Toppie a day keeps the
frownies away

Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:13am
Print Post  
I reakon they do experiance it, but because they dont know how to fix it they.... well.... lie really.

I cant see that anyone has completely eluded the lag monster recently. Was in house C the other day and got really pissed, also.... why is it in timed quests when I lag and freeze the clock keeps counting.... shower of bastards!!

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #12 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:14am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:11am:
I don't have experience in other MMO's, but I agree lag is tough at times. What I don't understand is QA/Devs don't always see it like we do, even on their home machines. There is some kind of disconnect there. It is like what we call lag is something entirely different to them. I dunno.

Yeah, they often claim they cannot see it.  Yet, as per my understanding, they have far more info going back and forth then many MMO's.  I know some MMO's like to store quite a bit on the client end instead of the server end.  DDO seems to like hording everything on the server end.

Or so it was explained to me, I don't really understand it so I just said, "sure, whatev".

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #13 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:15am
Print Post  
I lagged in that gem cave in the desert.  Caused me to run out of sp and die in a suicidal rage.  Same thing happened to stainer, true  story.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #14 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:16am
Print Post  
aurora1979 wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:13am:
but because they dont know how to fix it they.... well.... lie really.

I am going to make a leap of faith here and say that majmalphunction wouldn't lie to us. He might say he can't answer that, it is covered by whatever NDA rules Turbine employees are under, it isn't his department, or something like those.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #15 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:15am:
I lagged in that gem cave in the desert.  Caused me to run out of sp and die in a suicidal rage.  Same thing happened to stainer, true  story.

HAHAHAHAHA

Doing elite quests over level, and dragging a first life noob like me along, must certainly cause hella lag.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

aurora1979
Waterworks Kobold

A Toppie a day keeps the
frownies away

Reply #16 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Hmm, I dunno. You might be right about maj, I dont know him/her.....

also know nothing about computers but say for instance the problem is the servers are old and knackered and need replacing. If turbine/ Wb wont do that then the easiest way for the devs to pass it off would be to just say they havent experianced it.

I dunno, im more mechanically minded.... I cant get my head round a problem being there that cant be worked out by logic and deduction. I know computers dont work like that.... I dunno, Im waffling but basically.... they should fix the lag.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #17 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:40am:
I don't think it's dying, but I think it's kind of listless right now.  Part of the problem is communication -- we have absolutely zero idea of where the game is heading, and a lot of the recent changes/additions are "unpopular".  Since we don't know where they are going, we assume it is going to be more of the same.

If I were Turbine and read that, I'd say something like, "but we provide a yearly state of the game, and we laid everything out there!"  The problem is the state of the game reads like a PR fluff piece, and there is zero follow-up.

I honestly think that would be a good use of their CS reps.  If they are currently collecting feedback from the forums (as they claim to do) and sending it to devs, then they should turn it around and send some responses/feedback back the other way.  I'm not sure if the corporate culture of Turbine would allow it though.

That's really it, U11 and U12 have contained some collosal fuck-ups that hurt the game but I don't think it's dead yet.  A few more major fuck ups from Turbine will kill it.

They need new classes, new content, new PREs to keep things interesting and they need to ignore sociopaths like Shade who won't be happy until the ideal raid is 11 divines healing his barbarian.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #18 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:28am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:17am:
HAHAHAHAHA

Doing elite quests over level, and dragging a first life noob like me along, must certainly cause hella lag.

We did great until I ran out of sp. 

Wink

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #19 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:29am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:56am:
I don't think that we as players help with that sometimes. There is some pent up frustration with reoccurring bugs, and the like. I can't even begin to understand the frustration with the year or more of silence before f2p went live. Unfortunately this all bubbles to the top whenever a dev, QA, or other rep tries to engage us on the other forums they are immediately met with "You are screwing us asshole!" or something similar. I have been just as guilty of this as anyone else, so don't think I am pointing fingers or calling anyone out. I am calling all of us out. I think we need to acknowledge this and move past it.

I agree with this to a certain extent.  Yes, the players should be aware of this and try to extend the olive branch.  The devs should return the olive branch by trying to break the cycle of mistrust by continuing to communicate even when their initial attempts go bad.  The jaded players don't trust Turbine, that much is clear in the forums.  However, if they only communicate with the Mournland sycophants, then they are going to continue to be surprised by poor reception of their updates.  They should at least make the effort to rebuild that trust.

It's really simple from a business standpoint.  We know they track the number of active accounts.  It's going to change during each reporting period as follows:

Previous number of active players
+ Newly Activated accounts
- Deactivated accounts
----------------
New number of active accounts

They spend money to advertise to get new accounts.  Obviously they want to bring people in, but they also want to keep people from leaving.  Jaded players are the ones at risk of leaving.  Anything they can do to keep them around is good for the bottom line.

I know, a blinding flash of the obvious.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #20 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:30am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:56am:
Going back to the buffing of raids, nerfing of FvS wings. I think they overeacted in some respect, as these nerfs/buffs were directed at a handful of people that absolutely tear this game up. The level they play at is far above what the rest of us can achieve.

Just my 2 cents.

They are too fast to nerf us and too slow at fixing stuff.  I don't know what idiots are testing things on Mournlands (actually I know of one, and he's not a very good player) but these people are not giving Turbine the right feedback or Turbine just isn't listening to people at all.

The raid changes in U11/U12 are just fucking retarded.  Level level 14-17 stuff alone and make NEW content if you want to challenge people.  I'm sorry, I liked turning my brain off in Shroud and now having to worry about one idiot dragging blades into people and causing a wipe (it's actually happened).  I don't want to have to be selective about every fucking raid I form/join, Turbine is telling me I have to and that's just not right.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #21 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:29am:
It's really simple from a business standpoint.  We know they track the number of active accounts.  It's going to change during each reporting period as follows:

Previous number of active players
+ Newly Activated accounts
- Deactivated accounts
----------------
New number of active accounts

On the note of business -

Does it seem like they are little desperate for challenges to be successful? Look at the upgrades they are are throwing in for the next update. Pretty enticing.

I see this two ways, either this is someones baby and they are pushing for it to be successful, or it isn't meeting some revenue targets that the bean counters set.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #22 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:34am
Print Post  
From my knowledge of mournlands players - many of them are shitty players.  They just know whos ass to lick to get in.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Bahgoon
Stormreaver Piker

Get off my lawn!

Reply #23 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:37am
Print Post  
aurora1979 wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:21am:
I dunno, im more mechanically minded.... I cant get my head round a problem being there that cant be worked out by logic and deduction. I know computers dont work like that.... I dunno, Im waffling but basically.... they should fix the lag.

Computers are nothing but math and logic. Where things break down is when the humans get involved.

What we are seeing is several generation of coders piling their version of fuck on top of old fuck and then trying to 'make it work'.

Tongue

The various modes of worship which prevailed in the Roman world were all considered by the people as equally true; by the philosopher as equally false; and by the magistrate as equally useful.   - Edward Gibbon

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #24 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:39am
Print Post  
It might be worth getting 5 or 6 people together and going to 404error with a plan for a static testing group of high caliber players. The thing is, you couldn't plan it in the open, because it would immediately eliminate you from Mournlands. Posting this idea eliminates me right off the bat.

What you would need is 5 to 6 players that would commit to running say one day a week, as a group, testing things. If these people could do it, keep their mouths shut about it, and give some good feedback, we all benefit. I think if the folks are only slightly damaged (forum issues) you might be able to work this out.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Send TopicPrint