Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Is the game dying? (Read 54130 times)
Olrad
Dragon Raider

Re: Is the game dying?
Reply #25 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:40am:
I honestly think that would be a good use of their CS reps.  If they are currently collecting feedback from the forums (as they claim to do) and sending it to devs, then they should turn it around and send some responses/feedback back the other way.  I'm not sure if the corporate culture of Turbine would allow it though.

Pretty much this. It was probably a little naive of me but when Jerry announced that he was going to be working for Turbine I kind of assumed there would be more communication coming our way. They seem to have wasted that opportunity.

The times I feel best about Turbine are when you see posts from MajMalphunktion, MadFloyd and
Eladrin actually discussing changes to the game and involving the community (and not just saying they are changing something and if you don't like it... well tough luck). I can understand them wanting to keep things as a surprise so people stay interested but I think you have to have a balance.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #26 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Olrad wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:46am:
Pretty much this. It was probably a little naive of me but when Jerry announced that he was going to be working for Turbine I kind of assumed there would be more communication coming our way. They seem to have wasted that opportunity.

This is so true.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #27 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:55am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:34am:
On the note of business -

Does it seem like they are little desperate for challenges to be successful? Look at the upgrades they are are throwing in for the next update. Pretty enticing.

I see this two ways, either this is someones baby and they are pushing for it to be successful, or it isn't meeting some revenue targets that the bean counters set.

Interesting.

I do think the challenges are a good idea.  I like that they are another option for playing the game.  I think people were expecting quests, and the challenge system was a nasty surprise.  I think it would have been better received if they had slowly rolled it out, one map at a time along with other traditional quests.  Hindsight on that one is 20/20, because they were breaking new ground.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Its a combo of things, but no I dont think its dying.

Skyrim (and other christmas time releases) and the holidays cuts into most peoples free time.  Personally if I dont have something going on with the guild, I log out, where as before I would post up a PUG.

That being said it has trended downwards in the last year IMO.  U11 and U12 were steaming piles of crap.  But if the next 2 updates contain some quality bug fixes, better content, druids ect then I think you will see posts about the resurgence of DDO and more pug postings.

Its a cycle, and currently DDO is on the downturn, but that could change pretty easily (in theory).

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #29 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:14am
Print Post  

Does it seem like they are little desperate for challenges to be successful? Look at the upgrades they are are throwing in for the next update. Pretty enticing.

I see this two ways, either this is someones baby and they are pushing for it to be successful, or it isn't meeting some revenue targets that the bean counters set.

Absolutely.  It looks like some producer rail-roaded his idea that nobody was demanding, priced it to e ridiculous levels, and nobody gave a fuck.  now they have to pack it with more ubber-loot to see if people will start to bother with these silly things.

No players were demanding a perpetual Crystal Cove, they pulled this out on their own.

IP Logged

Olrad
Dragon Raider

Reply #30 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:14am
Print Post  

That's a good point. Before the challenges have they ever gone back and added more loot (that wasn't supposed to be there in the first place) to an adventure pack after it went on sale? Uptake on the new pack has been bad and they can't drop the value because there would be outcry from those who had already bought it so they have to increase the value of the pack somehow.

I almost wonder whether allowing people to upgrade the raid loot from the abbot and whatnot is to disguise the fact that they are adding a ton of stuff to the new pack.

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #31 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Exploit burnout, followed by crippling lag spikes, followed by Skyrim/CoD release, followed by family holiday = fewer people playing DDO.  Every winter in just about every MMO people cry that the sky is falling then every summer they complain about how servers are too full.  I'll say DDO is dying when Turbine announces they will no longer be developing new content.  Until then, it's a lull.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:19am by Maxwell Edison »  

IP Logged

Hafeal
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:55am:
I do think the challenges are a good idea.  I like that they are another option for playing the game.  I think people were expecting quests, and the challenge system was a nasty surprise.  I think it would have been better received if they had slowly rolled it out, one map at a time along with other traditional quests.  Hindsight on that one is 20/20, because they were breaking new ground.

The challenge quests would have been good IF quests had been included as well.  Something for everyone.  For old fucks, like myself, I want quests.  I don't need stupid Mario events that have to be short-manned.  At least CC was run with full groups.  To me D&D is about questing not "games of skill" - I get making that option available for those who like it, but for many it is not what made D&D popular.

Bigjunk wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:14am:
Absolutely.  It looks like some producer rail-roaded his idea that nobody was demanding, priced it to e ridiculous levels, and nobody gave a fuck.  now they have to pack it with more ubber-loot to see if people will start to bother with these silly things.

No players were demanding a perpetual Crystal Cove, they pulled this out on their own.

Amen.  I think you are dead on.

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #33 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:24am
Print Post  
I don't know if the game is dying or not - but my interest in playing it certainly is. So, for me at least, that amounts to the same thing.

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

strawberrybacon
Waterworks Kobold

KrazyKats

Reply #34 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:10am:
Combination.  I am actually sad that I have the collectors edition of star wars.  After the beta I am pretty meh over it.  It will be fun the first run through or two - after that I would rather kill bunnies.

I like where this is ending, please... carry on.

IP Logged

Hafeal
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:29am:
However, if they only communicate with the Mournland sycophants, then they are going to continue to be surprised by poor reception of their updates. 

There is a lot of assumption in that statement.  But if I told you their lack of good communication was in everything they do, would that surprise you? 

stainer wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:39am:
It might be worth getting 5 or 6 people together and going to 404error with a plan for a static testing group of high caliber players. The thing is, you couldn't plan it in the open, because it would immediately eliminate you from Mournlands. Posting this idea eliminates me right off the bat.

They could do it.  They could do it on Lammania.  Perhaps 404's sudden interest in acquiring more Mournlanders, and his new 're-assignment' of duties indicate they are trying that - of course, I am giving a lot of benefit of the doubt there.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:38am by Hafeal »  

IP Logged

Hafeal
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:24am:
I don't know if the game is dying or not - but my interest in playing it certainly is. So, for me at least, that amounts to the same thing.

It's why I have cancelled my ViP sub.  Are you still ViP or did you go premium already?

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #37 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Hafeal wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:38am:
There is a lot of assumption in that statement.  But if I told you their lack of good communication was in everything they do, would that surprise you?

A little.  What I've heard from most is that the yes men on Mournlands were listened to and responded to, and anyone that offered up criticism was driven out, ignored, or got fed up and left.  I've also heard it was especially bad when Kate was still around.  Am I close?
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:46am by Inkblack »  

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #38 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:55am:
Interesting.

The concept of challenges shouldn't have been a surprise, because we've been told that more were coming ever since Crystal Cove and the State of the Game address.  I think an entire update with nothing but challenges is what polarizes the crowd.  It's all or nothing, so people not happy with challenges are pretty unhappy with the update.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #39 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:50am
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:01am:
U11 and U12 were steaming piles of crap. 

I honestly don't see how people can say that U11 was terrible.  I had an entirely new class, a new House, level 20 quests, and two raids that are pretty interesting and challenging.  How does that equal a "steaming pile of crap?"

-Waters

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #40 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:14am:

Thinking back on the State of the Game this year, I think you're mostly correct.  Remember, though, that reception to Crystal Cove was hugely positive.  The few voices saying "it's good, just not all the time" were easy to miss.

-Waters

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #41 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:55am:
Thinking back on the State of the Game this year, I think you're mostly correct.  Remember, though, that reception to Crystal Cove was hugely positive.  The few voices saying "it's good, just not all the time" were easy to miss. 

The Picture Portals quests are a lot of fun.  If there were more like that and less stupid kobold AI the challenges would be a lot better.  Right now they are just alright.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #42 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Maxwell Edison wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:19am:
Exploit burnout, followed by crippling lag spikes, followed by Skyrim/CoD Modern Warfare/AC4/ SW:TOR Open Betarelease, followed by family holiday = fewer people playing DDO.  Every winter in just about every MMO people cry that the sky is falling then every summer they complain about how servers are too full.  I'll say DDO is dying when Turbine announces they will no longer be developing new content.  Until then, it's a lull.

...but I think the performance issues and dislike of the last two patches has really burned the community out.

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #43 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:50am:
I honestly don't see how people can say that U11 was terrible.  I had an entirely new class, a new House, level 20 quests, and two raids that are pretty interesting and challenging.  How does that equal a "steaming pile of crap?"

A new class for which there was no demand at all.  Who the fuck cared about artificers compared to druids and new PREs?

The new U11 content was pretty cool, but I'm already bored of it and rarely run the raids.  It's hard to generate interest in it when the loot is kinda shitty.  it's just more productive to run Fens and devil content to get your guys equipped, the only people I see really enjoying LoB are the 5+ year vets who are bored to death of winning DDO 3 years ago.

I mean what do you expect?  Release a new set of raids that marginalizes many classes/builds is beyond stupid.  Instead or re-doing many of my toons to fit the new content I just won't run it, I'm not alone on this.

The U11 changes to EXISTING content was fucking retarded (they reverted back most of it and rightfully so) and this big bucket of stupidity over-shadowed any bit of good.  Remember U5?  it has some excellent stuff in it but the TWFing combat nerfs to this day still piss me off.  Same stuff, different update.  You could release the greatest thing ever and bundle it with something retarded and people will remember the retarded part.

Pug raiding died in U11, even the stuff that didn't get noticeably harder stopped being pugged because healers had gotten so ass-fucked by their first eye-opening EVON6 (or whatever) that they just stopped joining pugs.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #44 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:02pm:
The Picture Portals quests are a lot of fun.  If there were more like that and less stupid kobold AI the challenges would be a lot better.  Right now they are just alright.

And that's a good example of why I don't see how people can claim that U12 is a total failure.  Some people are really enjoying the update.  No update will ever please everyone.  The claim that U11 and/or U12 are total shit is so hyperbolic, you need a plethora of parabolas to compete.

-Waters

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:39am:
It might be worth getting 5 or 6 people together and going to 404error with a plan for a static testing group of high caliber players. The thing is, you couldn't plan it in the open, because it would immediately eliminate you from Mournlands. Posting this idea eliminates me right off the bat.

Are you sure that it is posting the idea that eliminates you?  Smiley

I don't understand their obsession with secrecy. It's not like someone at Blizzard is going to say "DDO is planning to add underwater combat!!. ZOMG!!! We've got to get that into WoW first, chain the coders to their desks again!!!!".

We see the Lama preview. They hear feedback on forums after releases that they then dutifully ignore. There were a ton of comments about broken Mabar mechanics and lag the first two times, and they brought it back proudly unchanged a third time.

There are some faint signs of hope - I think it was MajMal who said that Mabar was being modified before it returns. He's talking about releasing more, rougher, and earlier Lama builds, so that they can collect feedback and make changes before live.

For me, time on Lama is unrewarding other than as a preview to decide if I want to buy new content. The last time I bothered to use it, the bug reporting system was abominably slow - it needs to be something I can do while in a group between quests, or even better, within a minute or two inside a quest.

MajMal talks about making it more rewarding to contribute on Lama. I doubt they'll get the incentives right on the first try, as something like 5 TP per bug report would be a huge mistake. The reward that matters is even expensive - they need to do a better job of engaging and interacting with players on Lama. I don't know how, but unless I feel that my time spent was worthwhile and my contributions were listened to and resulted in a change, Lama will remain a waste of my time.

As long as the devs appear detached from the playerbase and continue listening to a vocal minority like Shade, the game will inevitably spiral down. All things come to an end.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #46 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:55am:

Do you mean hugely positive as in people were saying "OMFG I LOVE THIS STUFF!!" or hugely positive as in a large percentage of the game's population was running CC?

If the former, I don't really agree but that's like.. your opinion man. If the latter, I'd put forth that people were all over it because it was a limited time event. Do it now or you won't get it again until next year. Personally, I upgraded exactly 0 items in CC this year. I ran it to help out the guildies, but only because there was nothing else for me to do in-game except for soloing, and I didn't feel like doing that. Same thing with Mabar. I killed undead for about 5 minutes to help a friend get some motes, but otherwise Mabar can go live in a fire. Forever.

The only reason I'll run challenges is for the loot. Which is kind of shitty, if you think about it. I'm grinding out something I hate to have better gear. Man that sucks, but I'm stuck in this Skinner box  Embarrassed

Even with all the shrouds/hounds/vods I've done, I still enjoy running those quests. For the most part. But challenges? Goddamnit I srsly hate them. I'll eventually have to do them all to get the favor for Artificer, and for loots on my toons. But I'll dread every minute of it.

Like someone on the other forums said: "I'd quit if I wasn't so addicted."

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #47 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:06pm:
And that's a good example of why I don't see how people can claim that U12 is a total failure.  Some people are really enjoying the update.  No update will ever please everyone.  The claim that U11 and/or U12 are total shit is so hyperbolic, you need a plethora of parabolas to compete.

it's not total shit, but . ..

Take the most tasty salad imaginable, I mean it could be the greatest salad ever with your favorite meats, cheeses, dressing, whatever would be the perfect salad for you, and the I sprinkle 1/2 of shit over it would it still be the greatest salad ever?  Would that 5% of shit ruin your lunch?

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #48 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Hafeal wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:41am:
It's why I have cancelled my ViP sub.  Are you still ViP or did you go premium already?

I was Premium since about six months after Unlimited launched till three months ago when I bought a three month VIP. It gave out at the start of November, and I didn't bother to renew it.

With my waning interest in the game in general, U12 was just the final nudge to stop. They say it takes 30 days to make a new habit or break an old one. I'm about two-thirds of the way to breaking my DDO habit, and frankly am not too sad about it. The game has been increasingly one that I find frustrating to play, and I've been coasting on the memories of what the game used to be, and the pleasure of the people I know in-game. But, the fumes of good-will have all dissipated, and I fucking hate the endless layers of grind the Devs have heaped on the game in the past few years. Maybe those layers have always been there, and I've just woken up to them... who knows?

On the topic of Mournlands:
Recently, I was invited to rejoin Mournlands. I know outting myself here will likely piss off the Devs and end any chance I have of getting a third invite. But, really, why should I care? ML is the biggest pile of shit, and only boot-lickers and total kowtows are acknowledged. I left the first time after one of the Devs essentially told me to sit down and shut up for disagreeing with something, and was dogpiled by a few of said Devs' devoted sycophants... why would I want to go back to that?

ML is a farce. It's not an honest test or preview environment, it's a place for the Devs to have their balls sucked on by a chosen few - and all non-ball suckers are either ignored or condenseded to. Nothing will change that, because it's become institutionalized over there. 404 may be saying he wants to change it - but that's like Obama saying he was going to change Washington. Yeah, it sounds nice till you think about it and realize it's just not going to happen.

...yeah, it's a good time for me to reevaluate my chosen leisure activities.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:31pm by Memnir »  

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #49 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:11pm:
it's not total shit, but . ..

Would that 5% of shit ruin your lunch?

LOL

Quote:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Send TopicPrint