Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Is the game dying? (Read 54113 times)
Infant
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Is the game dying?
Reply #50 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:55am:
Thinking back on the State of the Game this year, I think you're mostly correct.  Remember, though, that reception to Crystal Cove was hugely positive.  The few voices saying "it's good, just not all the time" were easy to miss. 

There were both few voices for "keep it active all the time" and "please no more CC ever". Most people were either happy or just "OK" with it.

The fort and HP changes of U11 made people upset. The fact that the HP changes were partly reverted doesn't make the frustration unhappen. This overshadowed the new raid, class and quests for some people (and the fact that the class was DDOstore-only).

Then U12 brought only challenges, which are ok. The price is a bad joke, imho. Add the confusion from all the Shroud "DOOOOM!@111!!!" threads by whiny drama queens (I am not talking about reasonable negative feedback).

This and lag is the reason for bad mood, imho. Game's not dying, at least not if they attack lag and glaring bugs.

Infant

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #51 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:09pm:
As long as the devs appear detached from the playerbase and continue listening to a vocal minority like Shade, the game will inevitably spiral down. All things come to an end.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a segment of turbine that took what he said with a grain of salt.

I think the secrecy is needed on several levels. Game interest, to reduce disappointment for things that get cut (druids), industrial espionage (I Know it is far fetched, but you don't think Blizzard looks at what turbine does?), and other reasons. I don't necessarily like it, but I understand it. I also think there are a couple that are doing their best for us, the players, but the report to someone, and the paycheck comes from someone, so I understand where the loyalty lies.

If I read things right, Mournland requirements are more geared to "Can you contribute to the conversation coherently" over anything else. It looks like it might be different than before. Of course, this is my take and I could be wrong. According to my wife, I am always wrong.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

LordPiglet
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #52 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:47am:
The concept of challenges shouldn't have been a surprise, because we've been told that more were coming ever since Crystal Cove and the State of the Game address.  I think an entire update with nothing but challenges is what polarizes the crowd.  It's all or nothing, so people not happy with challenges are pretty unhappy with the update.

Well, and the challenges just aren't that fun.  You also have such a huge mixture of components that makes it even more annoying.  They should have 1 ingredients from rushmore, one ingredient from the extraplannar area and another from the island.  Run any of the challenges there, get all the same ingredients.

I'd actually like to make several things from there, but we ran 4 runs in challenges last night and I was back to meh.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #53 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:06pm:
A new class for which there was no demand at all.  Who the fuck cared about artificers compared to druids and new PREs?

Couple that with how they released the class.  Which didn't bother me till they released U12 and to get the Cannith favor you have to run the U12 quest and get 5 useless goals then you also have to run the Epic quest.  The whole favor per star system is totally fucked.

The new U11 content was pretty cool, but I'm already bored of it and rarely run the raids.  It's hard to generate interest in it when the loot is kinda shitty.  it's just more productive to run Fens and devil content to get your guys equipped, the only people I see really enjoying LoB are the 5+ year vets who are bored to death of winning DDO 3 years ago.

Agreed.  Totally not sold on Chemical weapons vs the grind required.   After running the raids a few times you realize they are the same bullshit beat one boss snooze fests that we already have.  They are filled with recycled textures and ideas.  Nothing new or original in either raid other than the Lord himself who is pretty cool.  It's just another fucking circle with a boss.

I mean what do you expect?  Release a new set of raids that marginalizes many classes/builds is beyond stupid.  Instead or re-doing many of my toons to fit the new content I just won't run it, I'm not alone on this.

With another bullshit kitting mechanic...  The Abbot fucked the Titan and the Lord of Blades was created.  Unoriginal.   We waited years for this shit.  Another sack of HP to beat on...

The U11 changes to EXISTING content was fucking retarded (they reverted back most of it and rightfully so) and this big bucket of stupidity over-shadowed any bit of good.  Remember U5?  it has some excellent stuff in it but the TWFing combat nerfs to this day still piss me off.  Same stuff, different update.  You could release the greatest thing ever and bundle it with something retarded and people will remember the retarded part.

I wasn't as bothered by these but again it was a total knee jerk no think reaction.  Adding the eggs was finally showing some creativity.

Pug raiding died in U11, even the stuff that didn't get noticeably harder stopped being pugged because healers had gotten so ass-fucked by their first eye-opening EVON6 (or whatever) that they just stopped joining pugs.

I think burnout is getting high.  We have been in the same hamster wheel and I see nothing to give me faith in the future.  If we at least had a roadmap from turbine detailing what they planned for the future I might be more interested,

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Infant
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #54 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
LordPiglet wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:26pm:
Well, and the challenges just aren't that fun.  You also have such a huge mixture of components that makes it even more annoying.  They should have 1 ingredients from rushmore, one ingredient from the extraplannar area and another from the island.  Run any of the challenges there, get all the same ingredients.

I'd actually like to make several things from there, but we ran 4 runs in challenges last night and I was back to meh. 

The huge number of ingredients they introduced to this game and are introducing with every update is a big mistake. Simply confuses and frustrates people. Good for nothing.

Infant

IP Logged

Rawel
Korthos Resident

Cuss,cuss,cuss.

Reply #55 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
I don't think it's quite as bad as people think. Skyrim for sure lost us a couple of guildies but that's temporary rather then permanent. I for one like the new raids and don't really think it marginalizes many classes. The only class that imo is a bit left out in LoB is pallies just about every one else seems to have a
very reasonable spot including the usual never take them
anywhere ranged rangers.

What I think is awful are the challenges and imo that's a place they F'd up big time. Making a quest mechanic that almost completely fucks over each and every non blue bar class because everyone has to be somewhere else is beyond stupid when all of the population is complaining that casters are OP. It might be just me not knowing how to play
my melees right I guess but it's just so irritating when
I bring in even my exploiter ranger that can heal scroll on a 1 and have to stop fighting and run around in circles like an idiot every 15 secs, and yes I do have sf pots but depressingly since I'm not shade (and let's face it neither is he) I don't hit everything on a 2 with a -5 to-hit bonus.

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Game is not dying.  It is on a downward slope for sure though.

If that slope remains in the strong negative trend it is in currently in a fashion similar to the long drop before EU remains to be seen.

I do not think the game is going to recover myself.  Just slowly bleed out.  F2P gave a big boost to the game so it will take awhile to get back down to the low we hit before though.

At this point I really do think that Turbine has shifted focus away from DDO for good and into their new development projects.  They got what they wanted out of DDO, a nice little profit boost for a few years and the big boost of a buyout for the investors.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #57 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:06pm:
A new class for which there was no demand at all.  Who the fuck cared about artificers compared to druids and new PREs?

I don't know, I seem to recall that people in general were pretty excited to be getting a new class, any class.  I think it just fell into the trap of being "not-Druid." 

Quote:
The new U11 content was pretty cool, but I'm already bored of it and rarely run the raids.  It's hard to generate interest in it when the loot is kinda shitty.  it's just more productive to run Fens and devil content to get your guys equipped, the only people I see really enjoying LoB are the 5+ year vets who are bored to death of winning DDO 3 years ago.

Well, I see that as kind of the risk of any new content.  Run it 4-5 times (or whatever), and you're going to start getting bored of it.  I agree, though, that the loot and effort to get the loot make me go "meh."  I mean, I will never, as long as I play this game, complete an epic LoB. 

Quote:
I mean what do you expect?  Release a new set of raids that marginalizes many classes/builds is beyond stupid.  Instead or re-doing many of my toons to fit the new content I just won't run it, I'm not alone on this.

I'm not sure what you mean by "marginalizes many classes/builds."  What is being marginalized?  If you're talking about rogues/crit-builds and fortification on bosses, yeah, that's a big pile of suck.

Quote:
The U11 changes to EXISTING content was fucking retarded (they reverted back most of it and rightfully so) and this big bucket of stupidity over-shadowed any bit of good. 

Which changes are you talking about?  The crossbow/ranged changes were a clusterfuck on Lama, to be sure, but they got it sorted out.  The epic item review looked good to me.  Bravery was awesome.  TRs opening on Hard was awesome.  Weapons Shipment is great now.  PBS and Imp. Sunder are nice.  Defender PrEs look good...

The only thing I can think of is maybe the wide application of more fort to bosses.  I agree, it sucks.

Quote:
Remember U5?  it has some excellent stuff in it but the TWFing combat nerfs to this day still piss me off.  Same stuff, different update.  You could release the greatest thing ever and bundle it with something retarded and people will remember the retarded part.

Mmmm, shit salad.  Wink

Yeah, the TWF nerf sucked.  My main is a TWF ranger, so I feel your pain.  I wouldn't want to throw out the whole update, though.

Quote:
Pug raiding died in U11, even the stuff that didn't get noticeably harder stopped being pugged because healers had gotten so ass-fucked by their first eye-opening EVON6 (or whatever) that they just stopped joining pugs.

I definitely think PUGs are a down a bit, but I think it's a combination of bravery and Skyrim, as well as people losing interest. 

I have a theory.  My theory is that, even if all the PrEs had been developed instead of the challenges, even if there was some new quest pack (pick a level, any level) in place of the challenges, people would still feel like DDO was losing its luster.    Even if we had been given Druids instead of Artificers, people would still feel like DDO was losing its luster. 

I know I've said it before, but the reason is that people want something more powerful, more challenging, more bad-ass to look forward to.  Completing a TR for an extra +1 damage is not it, because it's largely insignificant.  Another epic quest for more epic gear is not it, because it's largely superfluous.  It needs to be something new, something that enables your character to grow from even the highest point he can achieve today, and something that fits within the existing framework of the game.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #58 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
I see DDO as a cash cow at the end of the product lifecycle. While they keep the servers up, I'll play with the friends I've made but I've cancelled my VIP and will probably not renew when it runs out in May. I'll spend the time between now and then prepping the toons I want to have in cycle, and beyond then I suspect I'll be in the land of perpetual TRs Smiley

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #59 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:49pm:
1). I'm not sure what you mean by "marginalizes many classes/builds."  What is being marginalized?  If you're talking about rogues/crit-builds and fortification on bosses, yeah, that's a big pile of suck.

2). Which changes are you talking about?  The crossbow/ranged changes were a clusterfuck on Lama, to be sure, but they got it sorted out.  The epic item review looked good to me.  Bravery was awesome.  TRs opening on Hard was awesome.  Weapons Shipment is great now.  PBS and Imp. Sunder are nice.  Defender PrEs look good...

The only thing I can think of is maybe the wide application of more fort to bosses.  I agree, it sucks.

1). Anything rogue-based or a tank that doesn't use a shield.  And the guy above was right about them adding yet another stupid kiting-fight in this game.  Words cannot describe how fucking retarded that is

2).  I'm talking about the massive increases to HP and fortification.  Fort is particularly bad as it ass-fucks melees and doesn't effect the over-powered casters in the slightest.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #60 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:49pm:
I know I've said it before, but the reason is that people want something more powerful, more challenging, more bad-ass to look forward to.  Completing a TR for an extra +1 damage is not it, because it's largely insignificant.  Another epic quest for more epic gear is not it, because it's largely superfluous.  It needs to be something new, something that enables your character to grow from even the highest point he can achieve today, and something that fits within the existing framework of the game. 

Many of use don't want Turbine expending the end-game until they un-fuck it.  The "blanket immunity" to AC in epics is one of the most retarded things in the history of gaming.  The general lack of class balance, over-poweredness of casters, etc . . . I'd like the game fixed before the level cap is raised.

Some "alternative advancement" might be okay.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #61 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 1:23pm:
Many of use don't want Turbine expending the end-game until they un-fuck it.  The "blanket immunity" to AC in epics is one of the most retarded things in the history of gaming.  The general lack of class balance, over-poweredness of casters, etc . . . I'd like the game fixed before the level cap is raised.

Some "alternative advancement" might be okay.

Well, it's just a theory.  Grin

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
The biggest thing for me, is they genuinely seem to be uninterested in finishing what they start. Not incapable, as they've shown with hirelings and arti's vs rangers and PMs, but genuinely more interested in moving on to the next thing than completing what they were doing. Heck, didn't they say as much in their challenge interview?
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:13pm by »  

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #63 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:51pm:
I see DDO as a cash cow at the end of the product lifecycle. While they keep the servers up,

To much time and money going into development for this to be true.  The fact that the time and money is going into crappy development is more the issue

IP Logged

Hafeal
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #64 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:12pm:
To much time and money going into development for this to be true.  The fact that the time and money is going into crappy development is more the issue

Perhaps, there must a lot of turnover at Turbine these days as a number of positions have been posted in the last 2 weeks: www.turbine.com

https://careers.timewarner.com/1033/asp/tg/cim_searchresults.asp?partnerid=391&s
iteID=36&Function=runquery&AgentID=9113504

click jobs, top right, link doesn't work
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:26pm by Hafeal »  

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #65 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:39am:
It might be worth getting 5 or 6 people together and going to 404error with a plan for a static testing group of high caliber players. The thing is, you couldn't plan it in the open, because it would immediately eliminate you from Mournlands. Posting this idea eliminates me right off the bat.

What you would need is 5 to 6 players that would commit to running say one day a week, as a group, testing things. If these people could do it, keep their mouths shut about it, and give some good feedback, we all benefit. I think if the folks are only slightly damaged (forum issues) you might be able to work this out.

Turbine Policy does not allow for this. I have attempted to set something like this up, and it was rejected off hand because of policy, not because of an unwillingness to do this.

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #66 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
JDollar wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:28pm:
Turbine Policy does not allow for this. I have attempted to set something like this up, and it was rejected off hand because of policy, not because of an unwillingness to do this.

The policy prevents receiving honest, objective feedback apparently.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #67 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:20pm:
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a segment of turbine that took what he said with a grain of salt.

I think the secrecy is needed on several levels. Game interest, to reduce disappointment for things that get cut (druids), industrial espionage (I Know it is far fetched, but you don't think Blizzard looks at what turbine does?), and other reasons. I don't necessarily like it, but I understand it. I also think there are a couple that are doing their best for us, the players, but the report to someone, and the paycheck comes from someone, so I understand where the loyalty lies.

If I read things right, Mournland requirements are more geared to "Can you contribute to the conversation coherently" over anything else. It looks like it might be different than before. Of course, this is my take and I could be wrong. According to my wife, I am always wrong.

your wife is a smart woman

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:

Quote:

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #68 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:31pm:

Indeed. Shade is/was a Mournlander... this alone proves it.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

IP Logged

Hafeal
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #69 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 12:20pm:
I read things right, Mournland requirements are more geared to "Can you contribute to the conversation coherently" over anything else. It looks like it might be different than before. Of course, this is my take and I could be wrong. According to my wife, I am always wrong.

I would say, the instances of Turbine acually listening to players is few and far between.  And several times which may appear to be that they "listened" are likely just a coinciding of what game  decisionmakers believed should happen.  More likely, as in the few instances when they have sought player feedback, it was just to give lip-service and fluff cover to give themselves some cover.

I don't ever recall having the feeling that aside from some of the devs, that any actual decision maker (i.e., Prodcuer on up) gave 2 farts about what the players thought.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:39pm by Hafeal »  

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #70 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
JDollar wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:28pm:

That is dumb.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #71 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 2:31pm:
What makes you think the Devs want objective and honest feedback?
That'd just make their jobs harder, even if it would make for a better product.

Turbine is a wonderful example of the Dilbert Principle in action.

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #72 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
    It is now official. Netcraft has confirmed: DDO is dying

One more crippling bombshell hit the already beleaguered DDO community when IDC confirmed that DDO market share has dropped yet again, now down to less than a fraction of 1 percent of all MMOs.  Coming on the heels of a recent Netcraft survey which plainly states that DDO has lost more market share, this news serves to reinforce what we've known all along. DDO is collapsing in complete disarray, as fittingly exemplified by failing dead last in the recent Sys Admin comprehensive networking test.

You don't need to be the Amazing Kreskin to predict DDO's future. The hand writing is on the wall: DDO faces a bleak future. In fact there won't be any future at all for DDO because DDO is dying. Things are looking very bad for DDO. As many of us are already aware, DDO continues to lose market share. Red ink flows like a river of blood.

Sarlona is the most endangered of them all, having lost 93% of its core players.  The sudden and unpleasant departure of long time Sarlona player Dispel only serves to underscore the point more clearly.  There can no longer be any doubt: Sarlona is dying.

Let's keep to the facts and look at the numbers.

DOO QA tester MajMalphunction states that there are ~7000 users on Argo.  How many users of Argo are there? Let's see. The number of Khyber versus Argo posts on the forums is roughly in ratio of 5 to 1. Therefore there are about 7000/5 = 1400 Sarlona users. Orien posts on the forums are about half of the volume of Sarlona posts. Therefore there are about 700 users of Orien. A recent post put Khyber at about 80 percent of the DDO market. Therefore there are (7000+1400+700)*4 = 36400 Khyber users. This is consistent with the number of Khyber forums posts.

Due to the troubles of Massachusetts weather, abysmal sales and so on, Turbine nearly went out of business and was taken over by Wizards of the Coast, who sell another troubled MMO.  Now WotC is almost dead, its corpse about to be turned over to yet another charnel house.

All major surveys show that DDO has steadily declined in market share. DDO is very sick and its long term survival prospects are very dim. If DDO is to survive at all it will be among MMO dilettante dabblers. DDO continues to decay. Nothing short of a miracle could save it at this point in time. For all practical purposes, DDO is dead.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2011 at 5:40pm by Oakianus »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #73 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
wat?

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #74 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Seems a lot like a BSD obituary I once read.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Send TopicPrint