Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Is the game dying? (Read 54166 times)
Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Re: Is the game dying?
Reply #75 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 4:47pm:
    It is now official. Netcraft has confirmed: DDO is dying

One more crippling bombshell hit the already beleaguered DDO community when IDC confirmed that DDO market share has dropped yet again, now down to less than a fraction of 1 percent of all MMOs.  Coming on the heels of a recent Netcraft survey which plainly states that DDO has lost more market share, this news serves to reinforce what we've known all along. DDO is collapsing in complete disarray, as fittingly exemplified by failing dead last in the recent Sys Admin comprehensive networking test.

You don't need to be the Amazing Kreskin to predict DDO's future. The hand writing is on the wall: DDO faces a bleak future. In fact there won't be any future at all for DDO because DDO is dying. Things are looking very bad for DDO. As many of us are already aware, DDO continues to lose market share. Red ink flows like a river of blood.

Sarlona is the most endangered of them all, having lost 93% of its core players.  The sudden and unpleasant departure of long time Sarlona player Dispel only serves to underscore the point more clearly.  There can no longer be any doubt: Sarlona is dying.

Let's keep to the facts and look at the numbers.

DOO QA tester MajMalphunction states that there are ~7000 users on Argo.  How many users of Argo are there? Let's see. The number of Argo versus Sarlona posts on the forums is roughly in ratio of 5 to 1. Therefore there are about 7000/5 = 1400 Sarlona users. Orien posts on the forums are about half of the volume of Sarlona posts. Therefore there are about 700 users of Orien. A recent post put Khyber at about 80 percent of the DDO market. Therefore there are (7000+1400+700)*4 = 36400 Khyber users. This is consistent with the number of Khyber forums posts.

Due to the troubles of Massachusetts weather, abysmal sales and so on, Turbine nearly went out of business and was taken over by Wizards of the Coast, who sell another troubled MMO.  Now WotC is almost dead, its corpse about to be turned over to yet another charnel house.

All major surveys show that DDO has steadily declined in market share. DDO is very sick and its long term survival prospects are very dim. If DDO is to survive at all it will be among MMO dilettante dabblers. DDO continues to decay. Nothing short of a miracle could save it at this point in time. For all practical purposes, DDO is dead.

ftfy - seriously did my head in trying to find the flaw.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Hafeal
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #76 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Oakianus -

Wow, sad news.  You didn't happen to catch when the wake and funeral will be held, did you?  I should stop by and pay my last respects ...

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #77 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 5:06pm:
ftfy - seriously did my head in trying to find the flaw.

Thanks for that, fixed it in the main post, too.

I'm sorry to deliver this news to you, guys, but you can't argue with math.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #78 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 7:24pm
Print Post  

One more crippling bombshell hit the already beleaguered DDO community when IDC confirmed that DDO market share has dropped yet again, now down to less than a fraction of 1 percent of all MMOs.  Coming on the heels of a recent Netcraft survey which plainly states that DDO has lost more market share, this news serves to reinforce what we've known all along. DDO is collapsing in complete disarray, as fittingly exemplified by failing dead last in the recent Sys Admin comprehensive networking test.

You don't need to be the Amazing Kreskin to predict DDO's future. The hand writing is on the wall: DDO faces a bleak future. In fact there won't be any future at all for DDO because DDO is dying. Things are looking very bad for DDO. As many of us are already aware, DDO continues to lose market share. Red ink flows like a river of blood.

Sarlona is the most endangered of them all, having lost 93% of its core players.  The sudden and unpleasant departure of long time Sarlona player Dispel only serves to underscore the point more clearly.  There can no longer be any doubt: Sarlona is dying.

Let's keep to the facts and look at the numbers.

DOO QA tester MajMalphunction states that there are ~7000 users on Argo.  How many users of Argo are there? Let's see. The number of Khyber versus Argo posts on the forums is roughly in ratio of 5 to 1. Therefore there are about 7000/5 = 1400 Sarlona users. Orien posts on the forums are about half of the volume of Sarlona posts. Therefore there are about 700 users of Orien. A recent post put Khyber at about 80 percent of the DDO market. Therefore there are (7000+1400+700)*4 = 36400 Khyber users. This is consistent with the number of Khyber forums posts.

Due to the troubles of Massachusetts weather, abysmal sales and so on, Turbine nearly went out of business and was taken over by Wizards of the Coast, who sell another troubled MMO.  Now WotC is almost dead, its corpse about to be turned over to yet another charnel house.

All major surveys show that DDO has steadily declined in market share. DDO is very sick and its long term survival prospects are very dim. If DDO is to survive at all it will be among MMO dilettante dabblers. DDO continues to decay. Nothing short of a miracle could save it at this point in time. For all practical purposes, DDO is dead.

link/source?

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #79 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
indeed

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

aurora1979
Waterworks Kobold

A Toppie a day keeps the
frownies away

Reply #80 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Turbine are not going to let ddo just peter out. Turbine are deffinatly planning for the mid term.... Dunno if anythings going to happen from parent company etc but from the games point of view they are not thinking its dying.

They are gonna spend alot of time and money and they wouldnt be planning that if they felt the game was dying.

Of course, warner brothers will only be interested in the bottom line so thats another matter, but we dont have the numbers of players on each server.

Personally I am finding it a little bit harder to get groups on thlanis but I suspect this is as much down to more people running in guild and raid channel as it is down to the number of people leaving. A bit of both.

Ive no idea how low/ how much lower the population could drop before turbine/ WB decide its not finicially viable.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #81 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
probably a bit

Grands Superhero IRL

EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

what the fuck guys...

Assholes.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #82 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 7:35pm
Print Post  

One more crippling bombshell hit the already beleaguered DDO community when IDC confirmed that DDO market share has dropped yet again,

As many of us are already aware, DDO continues to lose market share.

All major surveys show that DDO has steadily declined in market share. 

sources in bold
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2011 at 7:35pm by Munkenmo »  

PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #83 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 7:37pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #84 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
total anarchy

Grands Superhero IRL

what the fuck guys...

Assholes.

IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #85 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:34am:
From my knowledge of mournlands players - many of them are shitty players.  They just know whos ass to lick to get in.

I can tell you unequivically, no matter how much ass you lick, they don't let you in

from Preamus: Quote:
at least i'm agnostic so while I "think" you're full of crap I don't "know" you're full of crap

Strakeln wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:37pm:
JakLee will be the bailiff.  He's got a stun gun and everything.

Have you seen my platypus?
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who need closure.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #86 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 7:37pm:

Nah, that's not the real source.  Tongue

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #87 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:13pm:
Nah, that's not the real source.  Tongue 

goddamit, i've got nothing better to do at work atm either.

back to google.

IP Logged

Dragonne
Waterworks Kobold

I <3 Drama!

Reply #88 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
ahh mournlands politics.

Where players apparently go to look for trouble, maybe find it everywhere, diagnose it incorrectly, and the techs apply the wrong remedies.

Does a dyslexic, agnostic insomniac stay up all night contemplating the existence of a dog?

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #89 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:15pm:
goddamit, i've got nothing better to do at work atm either.

back to google.

hahaha!  Boy, have I been there, brother. 

It's an ancient troll, from back before the 2000s, when the internet was still fresh and new and trolling was still being introduced to the masses.  I'm not even sure if the site I knew it from was the original source, tbh, so I'd actually be interested in what you can find.  Tongue

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #90 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
pre 2000?!

we didn't even have the internet in NZ then, I thought i was doing well to find this from 2003

fuck it, it's beer o'clock, this mystery can wait till monday
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:43pm by Munkenmo »  

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #91 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
haha, they talk a lot about Slashdot on that page, which I am pretty sure is the source of the original troll.  It was old when I got there, and I started posting on /. in like 98 or 99.

I'm so fucking old.  But it's good to know that I managed to get someone to do research on such a hoary old troll post and someone else asked for a source on it.  The ol' mare's got life in her yet!

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #92 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:02pm:
haha, they talk a lot about Slashdot on that page, which I am pretty sure is the source of the original troll.  It was old when I got there, and I started posting on /. in like 98 or 99.

I'm so fucking old.  But it's good to know that I managed to get someone to do research on such a hoary old troll post and someone else asked for a source on it.  The ol' mare's got life in her yet!

Tbh you usually source your stuff so that was a big clue that it was a troll, well adapted however and were this6 months before f2p launched it would have been credible with 0 sources

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #93 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 5:18am
Print Post  
strawberrybacon wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:36am:
I like where this is ending, please... carry on.

In be decaffeinated state, that would be unwise.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #94 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 5:19am
Print Post  
JakLee wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 7:59pm:
I can tell you unequivically, no matter how much ass you lick, they don't let you in

I tried to get in, I was all nice and happy, even respectful of turbine!  I mean seriously, I was pretty much the complete opposite of what I actually am and they denied me.  I hate them all.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hafeal
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #95 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Being nice and respectful for a couple of hours ain't gonna cut it lol.   Grin

Epoch wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011 at 5:19am:
I tried to get in, I was all nice and happy, even respectful of turbine!  I mean seriously, I was pretty much the complete opposite of what I actually am and they denied me.  I hate them all.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #96 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:06am
Print Post  
It was like 4 whole posts and a pm!  DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HARD THAT WAS FOR ME????

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Cabocleer
Korthos Resident

Um, yeah, whatever.

Reply #97 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:35am
Print Post  
The game's got some problems, alright.  Although there's still newbs in the harbor. And WotC seems to make a specialty of pissing away good things (everything else to do with Eberron comes to mind)

BUT-  how many of you thought for yourselves that 

The sudden and unpleasant departure of long time Sarlona player Dispel only serves to underscore the point more clearly.  There can no longer be any doubt: Sarlona is dying.   

Really?  Really?   

Don't know much about Dispel's flame-out,  but it did NOT occur to me that his departure was a sign that Sarlona/DDO-as-a-whole was going down the tubes.   I took it as some slight sign that this camel actually does have a backbone.

Making it weirder for some time now.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #98 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Dispel was sarlona.  He was at least half the server, wasn't he?  Maybe it was just a third.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Cabocleer
Korthos Resident

Um, yeah, whatever.

Reply #99 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:37am:
Dispel was sarlona.  He was at least half the server, wasn't he?  Maybe it was just a third.

Yeah,  he may well have been a third of the forums.  Which seems to be how the doom-trolls are counting.

Making it weirder for some time now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Send TopicPrint