Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Salvaging a Paladin (Read 3801 times)
Xenostrata
Ex Member

Salvaging a Paladin
Dec 6th, 2011 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
So, I have a Paladin at cap. Not all that impressive, being a warforged KotC, but he is moderately survivable and reaches a decent amount of dps... for a paladin.

I have mostly given up on him being an Uber, l33t awesomesauce dpser, but I'm very attached to the paladin class. I love playing them. So, I was thinking that once I had finally gotten that frigging SoS I'll TR him again.

My idea was that I would trade a little bit of dps for increased survivability and versatility - basically, I would splash 2 levels of monk, trading the capstone (dr bypass was good, but with arties is meh, and 3d6 damage on some targets isn't a deal breaker at all) for 2 incredibly needed feats and evasion. I also want really high charisma, for hitting DM 3 and for the great saves and LoH that a capped paladin can get. I know maxing it out is painful, but DM 3 is better than +1 to-hit/damage in my opinion.

Jial Heterodyne
Lawful Good Warforged
18 Paladin/2 Monk

Starting -
16 Strength
8 Dexterity
16 Constitution
10 Intelligence
6 Wisdom
16 Charisma

Feats -
Power Attack
Improved Critical: Slashing
THF
ITHF
GTHF
Toughness
Shield Mastery (For when tanking is necessary, and in case I want to trade for DoS someday)
Improved Sunder (all the cool kids are taking it!)
Quicken/Maximize/Extend (can't decide which I want to focus on - quicken would be for tanking, and rebuffing at a boss; extend would be for general dps, and maximize would be if I wanted to get more out of the CCW. Not sure how useful that would be as a WF, but ya never know).

Feats: Max intimidate and either UMD. Start putting points into concentration after eating the int tome at 7. Tumble gets a point sometime, somewhere.

Any suggestions? Especially gear wise.

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Re: Salvaging a Paladin
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 8:03am
Print Post  
If it was a fleshy, I'd pick Quicken and Maximize for a Self-Healing option.
On a WF, this option does not appeal to me very much, i.e. Extend and Imp. Sunder will make much more sense to me.

Re: Stats. Grind for a +3 Cha tome, and start with 15 Cha and 17 Str.

Did you decide on DoS vs. KotC already?

I have a 18/2 pally, too, and if I hadn't enough other proper melees, I'd probably TR him into something more useful.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2011 at 8:07am by aDifferentHandle »  

That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 12:43am
Print Post  
honestly i'd pick extend, you most likely won't need quicken except for Echrono when the abishai dispells your deathblock.

Why are you so sold on a w/f though?  it seems like horc or helf or human all bring more to the table.

If you've unlocked the race, horc is going to do a lot more damage with that esos (or falchion) than a w/f, whilst opening up the possibility of quicken and maximise to self heal, and have viable enough healing amp to actually be a tank. 

Ymmv but w/f tanking without ac / or massive DR + healing amp is dieing off.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
if ur interested much in umd might think of sf UMD also while leveling up force of personality is useful
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2011 at 8:29pm by Silky »  

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2011 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 12:43am:
honestly i'd pick extend, you most likely won't need quicken except for Echrono when the abishai dispells your deathblock.

Why are you so sold on a w/f though?  it seems like horc or helf or human all bring more to the table.

If you've unlocked the race, horc is going to do a lot more damage with that esos (or falchion) than a w/f, whilst opening up the possibility of quicken and maximise to self heal, and have viable enough healing amp to actually be a tank. 

Ymmv but w/f tanking without ac / or massive DR + healing amp is dieing off.

Yeah, I know Sad

One of the many reasons I want to keep him WF is because his name is Jial Heterodyne (if you don't get the reference, shame on you). Another reason is that there has been a bug for WF paladins that gives them a double heal off of LoH (been around a while) - basically, it heals them once for the standard repair value and then again for a positive energy value affected by hamp. Plus, Horcs are ugly.

Jial isn't that bad on his current life. I think he averages around 100 damage per swing on a non-crit, non-smite (against an evil outsider, of course). And he is by no means fully geared.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yeah, I know http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Smoak.png

One of the many reasons I want to keep him WF is because his name is Jial Heterodyne (if you don't get the reference, shame on you). Another reason is that there has been a bug for WF paladins that gives them a double heal off of LoH (been around a while) - basically, it heals them once for the standard repair value and then again for a positive energy value affected by hamp. Plus, Horcs are ugly.

Jial isn't that bad on his current life. I think he averages around 100 damage per swing on a non-crit, non-smite (against an evil outsider, of course). And he is by no means fully geared.

First off, WF + High Cha and dropping STR some = whaaa? I don't like it myself. 14 Con instead?

Second, Heterodyne? I don't know the reference, and I'll accept the shame.. But I did take Greek once upon a time.

Hetero = other  and  dyne = power?

So "other power" or "other ability"  or some such would be the base meaning of the name.. Of course, if it's referring to some specific character in some nerd lore then none of this has any relevence, and I should go give myself a swirly.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Dec 20th, 2011 at 8:01pm:
First off, WF + High Cha and dropping STR some = whaaa? I don't like it myself. 14 Con instead?

Second, Heterodyne? I don't know the reference, and I'll accept the shame.. But I did take Greek once upon a time.

So "other power" or "other ability"  or some such would be the base meaning of the name.. Of course, if it's referring to some specific character in some nerd lore then none of this has any relevence, and I should go give myself a swirly.

Make sure to flush first!   Grin

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Dec 20th, 2011 at 8:01pm:

Bingo!

I thoroughly enjoy the high charisma, though I do appreciate the (really obvious) advice of going with 17 strength and 15 cha and just eating a +3 tome for DM 3. Dropping CON doesn't do much useful, since I only spent 1:1 trade in points there and I'm up to the point of 1:3 in str and cha.

Stats for my next life probably will be
str - 17
dex - 8
con - 16
int - 10
wis - 6
cha - 15

I'm putting the TR points into int because I'd like to keep Concentration and Intimidate and UMD up, but since that's impossible I'll settle for conc and intim.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #8 - Dec 20th, 2011 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Bingo!

I thoroughly enjoy the high charisma, though I do appreciate the (really obvious) advice of going with 17 strength and 15 cha and just eating a +3 tome for DM 3. Dropping CON doesn't do much useful, since I only spent 1:1 trade in points there and I'm up to the point of 1:3 in str and cha.

Stats for my next life probably will be
str - 17
dex - 8
con - 16
int - 10
wis - 6
cha - 15

I'm putting the TR points into int because I'd like to keep Concentration and Intimidate and UMD up, but since that's impossible I'll settle for conc and intim.

<Comes back in the room with wet hair and a turd sliding down his right cheek>

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #9 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 3:03am
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Dec 20th, 2011 at 9:21pm:
<Comes back in the room with wet hair and a turd sliding down his right cheek>

Start here.

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

TallGuy
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 3:19am
Print Post  
And then you'll keep reading, and we'll see you around later, except on mondays/wednesdays/fridays when you'll be reading the comics and loving em!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint