Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Builds: Favorites, most common and overused. (Read 37555 times)
strawberrybacon
Waterworks Kobold

KrazyKats

Builds: Favorites, most common and overused.
Dec 7th, 2011 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome.

So, i was looking up different builds on the forums to find out what to make next. And because I was bored.

My favorite characters to play are Fvs, og. og so fun! I have both evoker and.. the other one. lol.
I also have a  tr PM wizard. She's awesome to play. It was tough getting her to be able to  be awesome tho. Seems like it was a lot of work. i bought arti, made character, never played. Just recently made my first evasion character, it's an edited version of some build on the ddo.forums. ShockedD  aaaaaaannnnnddd evasion is fun. My str based fvs was a barb last life. barbs were fun till end game and i had no gear, haha.. so i was just like, fuck this.. I'm tring into a fvs. shrug, and i did. love it.

I haven't met a full/ranger yet that I like. (ingame)
I noticed that the type of person who has a full rogue as their main toon, is generally a weirdo in real life. Not the bad kind, just the weird kind. I live with one, and go clubbing with another. They both are crazy. and quirky. There are others.

I have yet to meet an archmagi that is an awesome person. I only know of one AM, he was in mangar, (argo) and he was sorta a douche.
"well my character is far better than your character..." This was back when I was a n00b and literally my first character was a PM wizard... of course urs is better silly. Meow.

Anywho, any thoughts on fun builds that are just awesome to play? Or, which ones are HARD to play but that you enjoy anyway? What's the worst experiance you've had either running into, or playing a character?

Cheesy

IP Logged

furbyoats
Stormreaver Piker

One stroke at a time...

Re: Builds: Favorites, most common and overused.
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Hola Bienvenido

the builds forum can be found here:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=Builds

Ungood wrote on Jul 29th, 2011 at 2:17pm:
Queens don't have dicks.

Atenhotep wrote on Sep 14th, 2011 at 1:56am:
I spend every evening naked in a fetal position crying because my penis is so small.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:00am
Print Post  
People who use premade builds from some  forum that some douche named should be shot.  If you can't make your own build (get advice afterwards is acceptable) then you should go back to wow.  Ever ytime I hear someone say, "I play nameofbuild and it is awesome" I want to slit their throat and shit down it.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Anslet
Waterworks Kobold

I'm not conceited, I'm
convinced.

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:09am
Print Post  
strawberrybacon wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 8:32am:
 I haven't met a full/ranger yet that I like. (ingame)
I noticed that the type of person who has a full rogue as their main toon, is generally a weirdo in real life. Not the bad kind, just the weird kind. I live with one, and go clubbing with another. They both are crazy. and quirky. There are others.

I have yet to meet an archmagi that is an awesome person. I only know of one AM, he was in mangar, (argo) and he was sorta a douche.
"well my character is far better than your character..." This was back when I was a n00b and literally my first character was a PM wizard... of course urs is better silly. Meow.

Cheesy

Holy shit batman.  I don't know if I would bring you roses or just skull fuck you.

It's a mmo not match.com

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Anslet wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:09am:
Holy shit batman.  I don't know if I would bring you roses or just skull fuck you.

It's a mmo not match.com

Some people would disagree.  Much to the horror of the rest of us.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Olrad
Dragon Raider

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Easiest build to play... PM Wizard.
Hardest to play... anything after playing a PM Wizard.
Build that makes you most lazy... PM Wizard.

"Wait... I have to watch my red bar now?!"

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:00am:
People who use premade builds from some  forum that some douche named should be shot.  If you can't make your own build (get advice afterwards is acceptable) then you should go back to wow.  Ever ytime I hear someone say, "I play nameofbuild and it is awesome" I want to slit their throat and shit down it.

You have to start somewhere being able to make your own builds.

And taking something which has been proven to be a great class split, and tweaking it to your needs, is a very fundamental step towards being able to make your own build.

If I say "I play a Blitz", I mean: I play a 12 fgt/6 barb/2 rog, but not the build in the OP of the Blizt thread.

That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on.

IP Logged

strawberrybacon
Waterworks Kobold

KrazyKats

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:28am
Print Post  

I like where this is going.  Wink

IP Logged

strawberrybacon
Waterworks Kobold

KrazyKats

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:30am
Print Post  
aDifferentHandle wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:20am:

And taking something which has been proven to be a great class split, and tweaking it to your needs, is a very fundamental step towards being able to make your own build.

If I say "I play a Blitz", I mean: I play a 12 fgt/6 barb/2 rog, but not the build in the OP of the Blizt thread.

I agree! I saw something and edited it a bit and it's a lot of fun. Figured someone else already made the mistakes for the evasion character, hah. I prefer casters for sure but this was a lot of fun anyway  Cool

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:37am
Print Post  
aDifferentHandle wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:20am:

You know where you start? A character planner or pen and paper or even other tools for dps calcs others have left.  Using a premade build and "tweaking" it isn't your own build. 

Also, it isn't a fundamental step to being able to make your own build.  You know what is a fundamental step? Knowledge of the game, classes, skills, stats, etc.  This isn't something you get from a premade build.

Also, tweaking a premade build when you can't even make your own build is retarded.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Diogenes
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:37am:
Knowledge of the game, classes, skills, stats, etc.  This isn't something you get from a premade build.

Because every player wants to be a rules freak.

Hell, this was never even true when D&D came in a red box and elf was a class.

IP Logged

furbyoats
Stormreaver Piker

One stroke at a time...

Reply #11 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 10:09am
Print Post  
You know where you start? A character planner or pen and paper or even other tools for dps calcs others have left.  Using a premade build and "tweaking" it isn't your own build. 

Also, it isn't a fundamental step to being able to make your own build.  You know what is a fundamental step? Knowledge of the game, classes, skills, stats, etc.  This isn't something you get from a premade build.

Also, tweaking a premade build when you can't even make your own build is retarded. 

Have to disagree with you on this one. When im getting ready to do something new i will generally look at the builds that are currently being discussed to see what they bring to the table...if i like the split or just the idea then i'll plan out my own feats, skills, progression if i feel like it. When someone isn't used to multi-classing...a forum build may be the best way to get into it.

example: I tr'ed my monk recently...i came across the godhand build and looked at what it could do. after talking to some people that i know about available splits for that idea...i ended up with different class splits/stats/feats/skills but the same general idea.

Anyway that's my 2 copper.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2011 at 10:11am by furbyoats »  

Ungood wrote on Jul 29th, 2011 at 2:17pm:
Queens don't have dicks.

Atenhotep wrote on Sep 14th, 2011 at 1:56am:
I spend every evening naked in a fetal position crying because my penis is so small.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Yeah, I have to disagree.  I think you can gain knowledge of the game, classes, skills, stats, etc. while playing a premade build.  That way at the point you don't know the game at least you get to experience it on a non-terrible character.  Try out a lot of the premades, start trying your own changes to them, and then as you gain experience with all the things you've listed you can branch out into creating workable builds.

We can't have it both ways.  If we want people to figure the game out on their own then we need to not have people nerd raging on them when they show up with their 10wiz/10sorc with 187hp for our Shroud runs.  They're simply doing what you suggested and making their own build.  What you seem to be suggesting is that if you don't already have the knowledge necessary to make your own build the moment you start playing DDO then you should go back to WoW.  That's fine that you have no interest in new players that lack an extensive background in PnP but I don't think that opinion would be good for the health of the game.

Personally, I'm happy when someone shows up with a pre-made and seems clueless about the game otherwise.  At least I know the build part of Gear-Build-Skill is decent, even if the gear and skill aren't necessarily there.

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 10:29am
Print Post  
I love my light monk, but then I am wierd.

IP Logged

Diogenes
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 10:22am:
new players that lack an extensive background in PnP

I think new players that have an extensive background in pnp are most likely to make complete gimps.

an elven fighter/wizard/cleric (say, 6/7/7) can work great on paper (at least a long time ago) but would obviously be abysmal in DDO.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2011 at 10:30am by »  

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 10:30am
Print Post  

Doing both is foreplay.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #16 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 10:31am
Print Post  
If Turbine actually had documentation that was worth a shit, then I'd agree with Epoch.  As it stands now, however, I'm not able to read through the rules and make a character that takes advantage of the nooks and crannies in DDO's rules because most of DDO's rules aren't available for me to see and

Now that I've built a Wizard and run her through two lives, I know a lot about what works and what doesn't (although I still often forget to charm enemies since just murdering them is so much more fun).  Before I built my first Wizard, however, I didn't know what spells were useful and what weren't (and why).  I didn't know which feats had value and which didn't (and why).  And I didn't know a damned thing about targeting effectively.

I ended up making a Wizard 18/Rogue 2 that was a lot of fun and that died much less often than my boneheaded play mistakes diserved.  Some of the starting information was obvious - Max Int, 14 or better Con, Insightful Reflexes.  A lot of things were less obvious.  If it weren't for pre-made builds to browse through and for a couple of people posting an analysis of the spell lists, I'd have ended up casting Wall of Fire even more than I did and that's no good for anyone.

I think it's a terrible mistake to limit yourself to a pre-made build from the forum.  I think that it's just as big of a mistake for a brand new player (or even a more experienced player who is brand new to a class/archetype) to completely ignore those pre-made builds.

And to put things in perspective, just think of those poor bastards who went with one of Turbine's pre-made builds.

fnord

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Reply #17 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 10:42am
Print Post  
You know where you start?

In fact I do. Apparently, you don't.

Why is it a bad thing to roll a pure barbarian who has his feats pretty much set? Why do I have to reinvent the wheel?
What's wrong with picking a build with a class combination which suits your playing style, rather than emulating a similar, yet worse attempt?

You know what is a fundamental step? Knowledge of the game, classes, skills, stats, etc.  This isn't something you get from a premade build.

So before I make a build, I have to know the full wiki by heart? I don't think so.

It is, in fact, something you can learn from a premade build: Why did he take Power Attack and not Power Critical?
What would a Rogue splash add to this?
Why are there so many points in UMD?

I agree, blindly following a blueprint is not teaching anything. But then, expecting that every newb should find out every bit the hard way is expecting too much, and actually a burden to the DDO community.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2011 at 10:51am by aDifferentHandle »  

That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on.

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #18 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Quote:

My bruddah

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #19 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 12:00pm
Print Post  

Even with all the options with DDO character building, there isn't that much to play with differance wise in builds (Assuming you're trying to get the most out of it, or at least near).

I imagine most people have had a go at making something of their own at somepoint, then came to the realisation that it was a roleplaying toon and ended up either following a forum build with a few minor tweaks or reverse engeneering one.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2011 at 12:01pm by Calvet »  

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #20 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:13am:
Some people would disagree.  Much to the horror of the rest of us.

wat? how did i get dragged into this?

IP Logged

LordPiglet
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I think new players that have an extensive background in pnp are most likely to make complete gimps.

an elven fighter/wizard/cleric (say, 6/7/7) can work great on paper (at least a long time ago) but would obviously be abysmal in DDO.

I know one guy who doesn't want to adapt to ddo, wants to play just like pen and paper.  Hence he dies alot, spends a ton of money in the store, etc.  I try to point people to premade builds, just so they can get ideas.  If they want to build it, fine, I send it for something they can reference.

IP Logged

Diogenes
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
someday I think I'll play with some gimpy builds like that to see if there is any fun to be had playing them. I'm guessing I'll most likely give up around lvl 12.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2011 at 1:59pm by »  

IP Logged

Overeem
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
furbyoats wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 10:09am:
Have to disagree with you on this one. When im getting ready to do something new i will generally look at the builds that are currently being discussed to see what they bring to the table...if i like the split or just the idea then i'll plan out my own feats, skills, progression if i feel like it. When someone isn't used to multi-classing...a forum build may be the best way to get into it.

example: I tr'ed my monk recently...i came across the godhand build and looked at what it could do. after talking to some people that i know about available splits for that idea...i ended up with different class splits/stats/feats/skills but the same general idea.

Anyway that's my 2 copper.

some people?

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I like my light monk, too!  This is probably why you never tried to kill me.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Send TopicPrint