Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Builds: Favorites, most common and overused. (Read 37590 times)
Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Re: Builds: Favorites, most common and overused.
Reply #25 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:37am:
You know where you start? A character planner or pen and paper or even other tools for dps calcs others have left.  Using a premade build and "tweaking" it isn't your own build. 

Also, it isn't a fundamental step to being able to make your own build.  You know what is a fundamental step? Knowledge of the game, classes, skills, stats, etc.  This isn't something you get from a premade build.

Also, tweaking a premade build when you can't even make your own build is retarded. 

Sorry, but I think you're going over the top on elitist-douchbaggery here.  I'd much rather have someone pick a build on the forums and run with it, than just try and make something up based on their (limited) experience with the game. 

After they've run it up to cap and seen how it works, then they can redo it and tweak/break it however they want.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #26 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
strawberrybacon wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 8:32am:
I noticed that the type of person who has a full rogue as their main toon, is generally a weirdo in real life. Not the bad kind, just the weird kind.

BS.  I'm painfully straight-laced and normal.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #27 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 10:31am:
although I still often forget to charm enemies since just murdering them is so much more fun

Only since they stopped the charms following you around Sad Fond memories of running my Enchantment Sorc around the Vale with an army of minions.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Reply #28 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Because every player wants to be a rules freak.

Hell, this was never even true when D&D came in a red box and elf was a class.

It's an MMO. Number crunching is the name of the game and the key to success, same as PnP. Though that's a bad place to base your expectations for effectiveness on. Builds that work there don't really work here and vice versa. It only works if you know what parts are still applicable. Keeping your Con up for example.

Quote:
I think new players that have an extensive background in pnp are most likely to make complete gimps.

an elven fighter/wizard/cleric (say, 6/7/7) can work great on paper (at least a long time ago) but would obviously be abysmal in DDO.

Lolwut. Prior experience in PnP helps, but only if you know what's the same and what's different. If you don't, you're going to make a gimp build. If you have that experience but apply it wrongly, you're going to make a gimp build.

Now the premades available in game are terrible, but the builds on forums are usually better about passing the competence check. And the ones that don't are useful in their own right. I really don't think anyone should be falling for Snootch's lies anymore. Just to name one example.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2011 at 5:25pm by Hi Welcome »  

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

furbyoats
Stormreaver Piker

One stroke at a time...

Reply #29 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Heh, last build I rolled up was the hurtlocker...it looked interesting and i haven't made anything rogue based before. I can already start to plan what I would change if/when I TR it. I don't follow the same feat/skills list. Like I said before, I use it as a baseline to see what the big appeal is to the build, how it levels, and what I want to tweak about it.

I openly admit that I am way behind other people as far as builds go, and using these as a starting points have taught me more than looking at the wiki ever has.

Ungood wrote on Jul 29th, 2011 at 2:17pm:
Queens don't have dicks.

Atenhotep wrote on Sep 14th, 2011 at 1:56am:
I spend every evening naked in a fetal position crying because my penis is so small.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #30 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Anslet wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 9:09am:
It's a mmo not match.com

It’s actually DDOHarmony.  (I have personally seen 2 couples meet on DDO.)

IP Logged

Tobril
Honourary Australian

Hi Welcome

Reply #31 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
The only thing I have against “forum builds” is that when a builder
comes up with something similar but can take no credit for his design
because he didn’t post it to the forums and give it a flashy name.

IP Logged

NoPance
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Also, it isn't a fundamental step to being able to make your own build.  You know what is a fundamental step? Knowledge of the game, classes, skills, stats, etc.  This isn't something you get from a premade build.

This is why my first toon was a 1 FvS/1 Cleric/10 Fighter. Then I made a Drow Barbarian.

I had to do things my way. Trial and error is so much easier than looking for builds which have been tried and tested over the last 4 or more years.

Especially using a character planner which doesnt actually tell you anything about how the toon will play in game, or what gear will be required for it to be effective.

I also know that Im so brilliant that whatever design I come up with, will be greater than the designs poured over by the masses of experienced players who freely share with the player base.
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2011 at 6:25pm by »  

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
You know where you start? A character planner or pen and paper or even other tools for dps calcs others have left.  Using a premade build and "tweaking" it isn't your own build. 

Also, tweaking a premade build when you can't even make your own build is retarded. 

Nothing but pure bullshit, but thanks for stopping by. 

It's not a step that you have to take to make your own builds, but there's no doubt that starting with something that works and then tweaking it to see what's vital to the build will end up learning a fair bit about that build and will be able to use that information when making a build of their own.  Failing to acknowledge that is nothing short of stupid.  Sad 

ETA: And for the record, it's not remotely personal, because the closest I have come to following a forum build has been reading a few before I start a character and seeing what makes those builds useful.  Which explains why my only three characters I've taken to cap were a fleshy Archmage, a dwarf monk, and a halfling bard. Tongue
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2011 at 6:33pm by Oakianus »  

IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #34 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
nothing wrong with a decent forum build.  I have tinkered with forum builds, though I have been playing for years, because there are some good ideas to start from there.  I remember one of my very first characters when cap was 10 was a 9 paly 1 cleric!  Not the most epic build, but I didn't really get how good it could be until I started reading on the forums some things to do to make it better.
Same with AC builds; I can hit 85 or so in a raid enviroment with my S&B Paly, but when I started looking at how these forum builds were hitting high numbers it helped me streamline MY build.
My favorite forum build was one impaqt put together 18fvs/2monk that I had a blast leveling (though to be fair I did mod that one too to fit in the fvs pre).

Not everyone has the time or inclination to research everything from here to Sunday to figure out how to build the MOST optimal character; some people just want something solid from start to finish & the forum builds fill that niche nicely.  And they are very helpful tools for midrange players to increase their knowledge and skill by comparing/contrasting "that" build with their own.

from Preamus: Quote:
at least i'm agnostic so while I "think" you're full of crap I don't "know" you're full of crap

Strakeln wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:37pm:
JakLee will be the bailiff.  He's got a stun gun and everything.

Have you seen my platypus?
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who need closure.

IP Logged

Enoach
Korthos Resident

Paladins, Wizards and
Clerics Oh my!

Reply #35 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Being one of the "Old School"*

My take on building a character comes down to the following:

1. Play style - Prefer to Stand Still and hack/blast the mobs as they come to you - to - Kite it, Kite it ...

2. Able to handle LARGE groups alone - or - Big numbers vs single opponent

However, I would say that in order to understand how to build a character you do need to understand what each STAT does for your character and what each class does.  While memorizing all enhancements and feats is very hard, knowing what the common feats are can go a long way in understanding how to get certain features.

Even today many TRUTHs of builds are being challenged and found to not hold the water that they use too.  And other TRUTHs have been found to still be rock solid

Keep in mind today's GIMP may be tomorrows uber build flavor of the week...  (Think Ranger's - Went from MEH to Wow to Ok in the build forums - At one point you couldn't spit without hitting a ranger)

You have to be willing to change stuff that not working while your building.  That could be Enhancements or Feats and with TR options you can now even change out Class Levels so just about everything can get fixed if its not working.

Personally I'm a purest - preferring to cover the known weaknesses of a pure class with its strengths.  I have built characters using PnP strategies and not one of them was GIMP or wanting they competed nicely against Flavors of the Week.   

*"Old School" - meaning I was around and played when the Red Box made it to the shelf

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #36 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:24am
Print Post  
Most premade builds don't actually give that much information as to the why of things.  They are just posts about their build with some dumbass name and how uber it is with everyone that they chose.  Some of them don't get into the why of it, some of them are not even remotely updated and outdated to the point of being completely gimp.  Does the build say that? Nope.

Some of the builds are created for endgame, meant to pwrlvl and definitely not meant to be in the hands of a beginner.  So what do beginners do? Make them and brag about great their build is as they die for a 4th time in ww pt 1.

Turning to turbine for documention is horrendous, I will agree with pope there.  Even the few of their guides I have read make me get stabbity. 

Turbine has something going on here that most mmos dont have, full customization.  Their own builds prove that they barely grasp the concept of their own game.  I would like to see a party of preset builds go do LOB on epic.  In MMOS where the only decision you make is what your spell/ability order use is and just try to get the next piece of gear in the new raid/group area, the only mistake you can make is your order of use.  Which even in then is rather trivial if you aren't completely stupid.  DDO has far too much customization, much to the bane of others.  Doing a little research on the forums or other sites isnt that hard.  We used to have a feat guide and a spell guide, player made (I really don't know if it is still in existence).

The thing, is many of you are taking your personal experience with builds on the forums and applying them to this argument.  So you aren't a complete fuckwit and you learn what changes need to be made to alter it to yourself.  The fact that you tweak the builds to yourself shows you had more then just a complete newb understanding of the game. 

I dragged you into this because you deserve to be here rest.

Tobril wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 6:11pm:
The only thing I have against “forum builds” is that when a builder
comes up with something similar but can take no credit for his design
because he didn’t post it to the forums and give it a flashy name.

I was running the exploiter before it was ever posted on the forums.  Meh, you don't hear me whining about it.  There is no credit to take.  If you feel entitled to some credit, post a build and give it a new name then point out the differences.  Congrats, you are now special.

Doesn't really explain much:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=333942
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=279133
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=353260
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=353110

Outdated:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=289591

Fucking worthless:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=347595

Endgame, highly geared, that explains what matters to endgamers not to a noob - but is still recreated by them:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=349837

These are just builds I grabbed from the first page of the builds forum (or were linked in one of the threads I opened up.

You guys may have gone digging, or even read all the posts.  Comparing every newb who comes in to what you have done is ridiculous.

If you look through the next few pages of the builds forum you will see completely fucked up builds. 

I wouldn't mind posted builds if people actually had to meet some requirements when posting them.  Like indepth explanations, or something rather so newbs could gain an understanding.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #37 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:25am
Print Post  
HOLY FUCK

Sorry bout the wall of text.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #38 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:49am
Print Post  
RE: PreGen vs. Custom Builds:
I think Epoch’s fundamental problem is with people who play a pregenerated build and simply don’t understand why the builder made the decisions they made.

A couple examples I have seen of this:

1) There are people who think “the Monster” is “the best DPS in DDO”.  That hasn’t been the case for years .  (And, it’s arguable that it was ever true in the first place.)

2) I did a “Sacred Fist”/Clonk character for my completionist’s last incarnation.  During this time I had a fairly “noobish” guildie attempt a similar build.  The guy has a level 20 monk that he’s fairly proficent with and a level 20 sorc that he’s ok with.  He just couldn’t make the connections on what makes the class combo fun.  I had to practically kill every trog caster in elite Acid Wit for him to bother to learn about the Destruction and Slay Living spells.

The only time I’ve found template builds useful was to glean the “what’s fun about this class” information from the threads.  But, threads like “the Path to Enlightenment” can serve that purpose as well.

OK, on topic:

My favorite character “builds” are:

My level 20 STR based pure rogue.  This is also the only character that I have that I dread doing a TR on.  I got into him because in Module 6 my guildies were having a blast with the Assassin II PrE.  So, I gave it a shot and had a lot of fun as well.

My Shintao monk.  I got into monks because I was in a PuG with Garth on Sarlona and he was talking about how much fun he was having on his monk.  (At the time I had given up on my monk.)

My completionist:
  I’m not done here.  But, I found these lives to be a lot of fun:
- 2 Rogue/2 Fighter/16 Barbarian.  I honestly wish I did this incarnation as my first 36pt build rather than my gimp ass fighter incarnation.  The one thing I hated (potions) was “fixed” with the inclusion of guild potions and this guy was surprisingly solo friendly.
- 1 Rogue/18 Monk.  Monks make surprisingly good trapmonkeys.  Not something I would do as a permanent character.  But, a lot of fun for purposes of levelling.
- 2 Rogue/18 Wizard.  Built this with a P&P character I had in mind.  But I read up on Ghoste/Mr. Cow’s threads on the subject of wizards and applied my knowledge of rogues to level this character.  It also didn’t hurt that I managed to gather a stupid amount of caster levelling gear on this character.
- 2 Monk/18 Cleric.  Had a lot of fun on this character as well.  I was trying to make a character that emulated the “Sacred Fist” PrC from Pencil and Paper D&D.  I went Stunning Fist/TWF chain/caster metas and punched stuff in the face.

“Builds” I’m not fond of:
- Paladins.  Pure or splashed  I grit my teeth while saying this.  But, I really hate the gameplay of paladins past level 10.  I really, really want to like them.  But, God help me, the constant rebuffing cycle sucks diseased donkey balls.  I have a TR paladin that I only level if I have absolutely no other characters in that level range.  And, I really want to TR him again into a rogue.  My completionist is currently stuck in this incarnation and my solution so far is to break up his levelling with my monk and to run a Free to play Wizard and leave him at the quest entrance.
- Fighters.  This class is *so* fucking bland.  I cannot find a fighter build that appeals to me.  It’s everything in DDO that I hate, with absolutely nothing that I like about DDO.

Edit:
Epoch wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:24am:

Including this build in your list isn’t really fair to the O.P. of that thread.  He clearly stated that he likes the concept of a gish martial arts wizard but doesn’t like the current builds available becasue he wanted lich form.  He also clearly stated that he wanted some feedback on what he had come up with.  Lastly, he mentioned that it would probably be a level 1-19 character.  But, he was hoping someone had some insight into how to make it a viable endgame character.  It’s more of a “Help me out” request than an “Admire my awesomeness” thread.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2011 at 3:28am by QuantumFX »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #39 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 4:03am
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:49am:
RE: PreGen vs. Custom Builds:
I think Epoch’s fundamental problem is with people who play a pregenerated build and simply don’t understand why the builder made the decisions they made.

A couple examples I have seen of this:

1) There are people who think “the Monster” is “the best DPS in DDO”.  That hasn’t been the case for years .  (And, it’s arguable that it was ever true in the first place.)

2) I did a “Sacred Fist”/Clonk character for my completionist’s last incarnation.  During this time I had a fairly “noobish” guildie attempt a similar build.  The guy has a level 20 monk that he’s fairly proficent with and a level 20 sorc that he’s ok with.  He just couldn’t make the connections on what makes the class combo fun.  I had to practically kill every trog caster in elite Acid Wit for him to bother to learn about the Destruction and Slay Living spells.

The only time I’ve found template builds useful was to glean the “what’s fun about this class” information from the threads.  But, threads like “the Path to Enlightenment” can serve that purpose as well.

That is major part of it yes.  The other thing is, people read these "amazing" builds and even though they are new, refuse to believe others when they try to point things out to them.  Why? Because the forum meisters must be right, right?
People who generally make their own builds from scratch are generally more open to criticism and help as well as explanations as to the importance of and when such things matter and don't.

OK, on topic:

My favorite character “builds” are:

My level 20 STR based pure rogue.  This is also the only character that I have that I dread doing a TR on.  I got into him because in Module 6 my guildies were having a blast with the Assassin II PrE.  So, I gave it a shot and had a lot of fun as well.

My Shintao monk.  I got into monks because I was in a PuG with Garth on Sarlona and he was talking about how much fun he was having on his monk.  (At the time I had given up on my monk.)

My completionist:
  I’m not done here.  But, I found these lives to be a lot of fun:
- 2 Rogue/2 Fighter/16 Barbarian.  I honestly wish I did this incarnation as my first 36pt build rather than my gimp ass fighter incarnation.  The one thing I hated (potions) was “fixed” with the inclusion of guild potions and this guy was surprisingly solo friendly.
- 1 Rogue/18 Monk.  Monks make surprisingly good trapmonkeys.  Not something I would do as a permanent character.  But, a lot of fun for purposes of levelling.
- 2 Rogue/18 Wizard.  Built this with a P&P character I had in mind.  But I read up on Ghoste/Mr. Cow’s threads on the subject of wizards and applied my knowledge of rogues to level this character.  It also didn’t hurt that I managed to gather a stupid amount of caster levelling gear on this character.
- 2 Monk/18 Cleric.  Had a lot of fun on this character as well.  I was trying to make a character that emulated the “Sacred Fist” PrC from Pencil and Paper D&D.  I went Stunning Fist/TWF chain/caster metas and punched stuff in the face.

“Builds” I’m not fond of:
- Paladins.  Pure or splashed  I grit my teeth while saying this.  But, I really hate the gameplay of paladins past level 10.  I really, really want to like them.  But, God help me, the constant rebuffing cycle sucks diseased donkey balls.  I have a TR paladin that I only level if I have absolutely no other characters in that level range.  And, I really want to TR him again into a rogue.  My completionist is currently stuck in this incarnation and my solution so far is to break up his levelling with my monk and to run a Free to play Wizard and leave him at the quest entrance.
- Fighters.  This class is *so* fucking bland.  I cannot find a fighter build that appeals to me.  It’s everything in DDO that I hate, with absolutely nothing that I like about DDO.

Edit:

Including this build in your list isn’t really fair to the O.P. of that thread.  He clearly stated that he likes the concept of a gish martial arts wizard but doesn’t like the current builds available becasue he wanted lich form.  He also clearly stated that he wanted some feedback on what he had come up with.  Lastly, he mentioned that it would probably be a level 1-19 character.  But, he was hoping someone had some insight into how to make it a viable endgame character.  It’s more of a “Help me out” request than an “Admire my awesomeness” thread.
Yes, but that doesn't dissuade newbs from thinking it would be awesome and functional at endgame.  I spent about 2 1/2 yrs in a guild that focused heavily on training people and teaching them the ins and outs of the game.  People just saw builds read them, and took them as awesome - even when boldened and size increased the words "This build is for fun/flavor and not meant for endgame in any sense".  KB was pretty good at its job - I hate the guild system now because guilds like that cannot thrive anymore.

I enjoy shintao monks more then dark.  Don't tell anyone, I don't want it to hurt my elitist views.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #40 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 5:54am
Print Post  
I think it's a real shame the preset builds are a bit gimpy. I know when I started and had no clue I really liked the concept of being able to rely on a sensible build. The glorious thing about DDO is its customisability, but in the same way it's pretty daunting for a newb, or at least the newb I was.

I'm no DPS calculatiion freak, to be honest, and I've had a lot of fun with some of the popular builds. My most liked melee is still my Exploiter, and while she might not be UBER DPS OMG I think she plays well. I would like to like my capstone pally, but I just don't. I'm probably going to end up TRing her, which of course I've decided having dropped a pile of epic tokens into slots. Grrr. I've also had heaps of fun with my Superior Soul, and she's my go character for epics and so on.

Most of my other stuff is pretty generic - finesse based minimonk, caster cleric, WF necro specced AM. The wizzie and the monk were both rolled and specced with the help of people I knew played the class well.

I'm not really that focussed on optimal DPS - mostly I like survivability, particularly when levelling, and I seem to be playing far less endgame content with the changes since U11 - so that's more important to me. One of the surprising hits was my completionist's last life - couldn't stand the concept of a barb so it was a 10 barb / 8 bard / 2 rogue frenzied beserker / warchanter / trapsmith. Ran with a Blitz build that life and while he blew me out of the water DPS wise, I can't count the number of times I rezzed him / his henchie / killed the mobs while he was a soulstone.

Oh, the bardbarian monstrosity was an elf. I like elves. I've gone elf again this live (warchanter). If I'm going to slowly acquire that much XP I want to watch an attractive backside running around Stormreach Wink

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #41 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Snootch builds anybody ?  Grin

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #42 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 5:54am:
I'm not really that focussed on optimal DPS

I'm sure Weirdly will be along to validate you later tere  Cheesy

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

furbyoats
Stormreaver Piker

One stroke at a time...

Reply #43 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 6:17am
Print Post  
The Helves Angel is a bad example for outdated. If you are interested in the build and you see that it has multiple pages...that usually means there is a good amount of discussion. The original was based on picks etc...later on in the thread it is revamped for khopeshes. I made one (well the base) and the thing does absolutely disturbing burst dps both with ranged and melee.

But I do see your point. That build in the hands of a newb will be absolutely terrible. It is worse than your standard elven ranger AA with a hard-on for hitting manyshot to open a boss fight. (by worse, i mean that an idiot will pull aggro constantly with it and die every time) So it does take some knowledge of the game to use otherwise you will do nothing but piss other people off.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2011 at 6:18am by furbyoats »  

Ungood wrote on Jul 29th, 2011 at 2:17pm:
Queens don't have dicks.

Atenhotep wrote on Sep 14th, 2011 at 1:56am:
I spend every evening naked in a fetal position crying because my penis is so small.

IP Logged

Olrad
Dragon Raider

Reply #44 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 6:10am:
Snootch builds anybody ?  Grin

There's an idea for if my static group feels sadistic... full party of Snootch builds.

Just need to make sure I have a Heart of Wood to fix it when we hit 20.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #45 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Epoch: Sorting through builds online to get an idea of what works or doesn't work is exactly how a novice could cull a bit of fundamental knowledge. We all understand that actual experience with a build makes you a better character builder and player, but you've got to start somewhere. If you pick a douchey build on the forums, than you're gonna have a bad time. But the premise of starting your new toon based off of a build or template that another person, probably with more experience than you, has had success with, is sound.

Also, I call bullshit on your exploiter. The exploiter build was created on paper a month before the update, which enabled the exploiter to be badass, actually went live. Bullshit on you, sir. Bullshit on your face and down your pants.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #46 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 10:11am
Print Post  
https://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=168687

January 7 2009.

Monks, if you care to remember, were released in June, 2008.

I was running the exploiter long before it was posted, as were others.  I don't care if it was written down on paper - if you want to go that far, it was created back in the day of the batman builds.  "If only we had monk we could have awesome ac!" A jesters dream at best back then. 

Nice try though.

*quick edit* If you want to bring in paper instead of using the forums, let us bring in the original pnp game and the games based off of it.  The exploiter build is a common theme in games like neverwinter when people want to solo instead of bringing half assed companions that aren't worth a shit.  Different variations but traps and evasion with high ac are the common theme.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2011 at 10:42am by Epoch »  

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hafeal
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 10:13am
Print Post  
I have always seemed to make my own characters and change them based on the latest nerfs; although the 2wf nerf still irks me.

I did make my half-orc light monk using a Turbine build *requisitie gasp* and it has been solid and fun surprisingly.  I did not like the other forum builds, I wanted to do something I had not really seen, and I wanted to try levelling a "Turbine' build given all the derision of how bad they were.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Quote:
I think new players that have an extensive background in pnp are most likely to make complete gimps.

an elven fighter/wizard/cleric (say, 6/7/7) can work great on paper (at least a long time ago) but would obviously be abysmal in DDO.

I'll agree that they have to at least pay some attention to the fact it's a different game.  But a solid understanding of when different classes get what and experience building characters in general definitely helps in DDO.

Quote:
someday I think I'll play with some gimpy builds like that to see if there is any fun to be had playing them. I'm guessing I'll most likely give up around lvl 12.

There's actually a guild for those type of toons on Sarlona.  It's called Shortbus Heroes.  You have to randomly roll 3 classes and a race, then randomly roll for which of the 3 classes you take at each level-up.  Many of us randomly rolled our stats as well.  I made a little web app to roll random toons following the guild rules. 

Several in the guild also play it as no-twink so it's a pretty easy guild to jump in to as a break from your normal server as well.  I generally gave up before level 12 even...it's just not very fun to have a build you don't like.

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Reply #49 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:24am:
Most premade builds don't actually give that much information as to the why of things.  They are just posts about their build with some dumbass name and how uber it is with everyone that they chose. 

Well, duh.
We are talking about learning, which is something which can be done by yourself, asking and answering the questions stated above by yourself with the help of the wiki, or other resources. I'm sorry if I was just implying that and not typing it out explicitely for everyone.

Quote:

COMIC SANS! LIVE IN A FIRE! FOREVER!

That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Send TopicPrint