Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Builds: Favorites, most common and overused. (Read 37593 times)
Diogenes
Ex Member

Re: Builds: Favorites, most common and overused.
Reply #50 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 11:13am
Print Post  
aDifferentHandle wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 10:50am:
COMIC SANS! LIVE IN A FIRE! FOREVER!

Yes.

I once got a letter from the university I did my undergraduate work at telling me I could no longer get financial aid...unsigned and in comic sans.

(They were in error.)

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #51 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Tobril wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 6:11pm:
The only thing I have against “forum builds” is that when a builder
comes up with something similar but can take no credit for his design
because he didn’t post it to the forums and give it a flashy name.

I'm gonna post my character build on the forums and call it "The Schmoe."  It's one of my first steps to world domination.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Reply #52 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yes.

I once got a letter from the university I did my undergraduate work at telling me I could no longer get financial aid...unsigned and in comic sans.

(They were in error.)

What a bunch of dickheads.

That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on.

IP Logged

Tobril
Honourary Australian

Hi Welcome

Reply #53 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
aDifferentHandle wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 10:50am:
COMIC SANS! LIVE IN A FIRE! FOREVER!

Smiley

I do comic sans just to piss off web designers.

IP Logged

Tobril
Honourary Australian

Hi Welcome

Reply #54 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:24am:
I was running the exploiter before it was ever posted on the forums.  Meh, you don't hear me whining about it.  There is no credit to take.  If you feel entitled to some credit, post a build and give it a new name then point out the differences.  Congrats, you are now special.

"Hey you're playing a so-and-so" gets really fucking annoying sometimes, but yeah I've learned to just deal with it.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
I use Comic Cans in every IRC I'm in. I wish I could use it in more places too.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #56 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Tobril wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:23pm:
Smiley

I do comic sans just to piss off web designers.

Comic sans is my favorite font just because it pisses of everyone.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Tobril
Honourary Australian

Hi Welcome

Reply #57 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:24am:

Doh, this needs to be updated.  I vaguely remember posting this so some friends could see it, didn't think it would get any traffic of note.  Explanations of stuff were done via emails and in-game.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:31pm by Tobril »  

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Tobril wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:26pm:
"Hey you're playing a so-and-so" gets really fucking annoying sometimes, but yeah I've learned to just deal with it.

I made my first serious toon with the help of a few guildies and rocked the house with it.

Then I ran with Egomaniac while he was still playing. He told me my build was very similar to the Monster Build, only I went human and had more AC, Heal Amp, etc.

Then U5 happened, and I got my gear together. U7 came around and I TR'd to HOrc.  My new build had already been posted too. Blitz. But I'm ok with that, because I talked to Nick extensively before rolling up.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:29pm:
Comic sans is my favorite font just because it pisses of everyone.

My handwriting is a mix of Comic Sans and Georgian.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #60 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
I remember when i first came to this game having no idea what d&d or a d20 was.

My first toon was a w/f fighter premade stalwart defender.  I had no idea what i was doing and used to think i actually contributed to the group by hitting intimidate and shield blocking.

From there i eventually hated how little damage i would actually do vs how much healing i took, and realised i'd unlocked drow. By now i knew the difference between 32 ans 28 pt builds so I actually somehow convinced myself that a drow would be a better choice than a halfling.  (for the record i still have my drow rogue, LR'ed from dex build rapier user to STR builds mid 2010 and he's still my best dps toon)

After making 2 toons on turbines premade paths though, hating them,  and seeing a couple of these chuck norris round house kicking and punching awesome monks i wanted one.  I knew i wouldn't be able to make my own, the one thing players told me (i don't think i had a guild yet) was that monks were useless if not built right.

So i went to the forums, between my w/f fanboyrism and i found Arkat 2.0  That toon was my first to level 20, did nice dps, didn't take lots of damage, It was everything I wanted in a character but wouldn't have been able to build myself.

Since then i've read through the forums when looking for tips around building new characters, (like my fvs) and my paladin, but had learned enough to make the builds myself.

I won't bother posting my builds on the forums anymore though, I honestly thought I came up with something unique and cool when i saw the bow of sinew and tier 3 mountain stance. 12m/6r/2x jumped out at me, Thrudh had posted one first, and i was left wondering why i bothered.

Obviously i don't see anything wrong with uneducated nubs making builds from the forums, the players who stumble across those want to learn and will probably be the ones who turn out like me.  It's players who stick with turbines pre made paths and ask questions rather than search for answers i take issue with.

P.s. Thanks Arkat.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #61 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
My handwriting is a mix of Comic Sans and Georgian.

My handwriting is somewhere between chicken scratches made by a chicken having a seizure and "seeing this makes me want to stab you in the face."
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:51pm by JC »  

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:51pm:
My handwriting is somewhere between chicken scratches made by a chicken having a seizure and "seeing this makes me want to stab you in the face."

this is the other part of my handwriting.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #63 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:51pm:

I have no problem reading my own handwriting.  It seems completely fine to me.  For some reason, other people don't seem to agree with my assessment.

It's the most important reason why I end up typing up all of my notes and putting them on transparancies instead of writing on the board.

fnord

IP Logged

Enoach
Korthos Resident

Paladins, Wizards and
Clerics Oh my!

Reply #64 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:24pm:
I have no problem reading my own handwriting.  It seems completely fine to me.  For some reason, other people don't seem to agree with my assessment.

It's the most important reason why I end up typing up all of my notes and putting them on transparancies instead of writing on the board.

My handwriting is so good that I was strongly encourage to take typing classes in High School by my teachers, parents, counselors and friends ...

It worked out great when I made some money type Finals notes for friends as I was able to have a very complete set of notes for myself thanks to have 20+ versions of a years worth of notes.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #65 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 12:31am
Print Post  
I used to have completely unreadable handwriting, and then I sat my ass down and worked on it for a while, and now it's pretty damned passable.  Not great, but passable.

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Reply #66 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Big F'n Stick

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=158960&highlight=acrobat

god damn did I have a fun time with this build.
healing strike with epic souleater made the fucker just about unkillable.

DPS was on the meh side, but I could pull agro with haste boost if I felt like pissing off the "look at me I am so UBER." guys out there.

Of course I have not played since update 11 so the build is probably gimp to all shit and back now.

Quote:
Rev. Jim.
He is the only guy here that posts quality, you should all learn from him.

IP Logged

TDarkchylde
Dragon Raider

It's just a simulation...

Reply #67 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 2:36am
Print Post  
What I try to look for in a build is survivability and versatility. Flat-out DPS builds like 20 Barbs or 18 Fighter Kensai/2 of anything else? Boring.

Give me a DoS Paladin who can keep herself up while the healer's stunned in ToD or the 20 Cleric who can go in and pound on Velah when she runs out of SP. Give me the 16/2/2 Sorc/Paladin/Monk DoT tank who is almost impossible to kill, yet has enough past lives banked up to still CC something in a pinch. Hell, give me a Wisdom-based 20 Monk that can stun almost everything in the game and never gets hit unless the difficulty is set to "Epic."

I'll even go with my 20 Barb who gives up a little DPS in trade for being able to be kept upright by a Ranger.

Those types of builds are my favorites. Others can have their full-retard DPS - I'll save the raid when they die.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2011 at 2:38am by TDarkchylde »  
AIM  
IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #68 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 3:22am
Print Post  
TDarkchylde wrote on Dec 9th, 2011 at 2:36am:
What I try to look for in a build is survivability and versatility. Flat-out DPS builds like 20 Barbs or 18 Fighter Kensai/2 of anything else? Boring.

Give me a DoS Paladin who can keep herself up while the healer's stunned in ToD or the 20 Cleric who can go in and pound on Velah when she runs out of SP. Give me the 16/2/2 Sorc/Paladin/Monk DoT tank who is almost impossible to kill, yet has enough past lives banked up to still CC something in a pinch. Hell, give me a Wisdom-based 20 Monk that can stun almost everything in the game and never gets hit unless the difficulty is set to "Epic."

I'll even go with my 20 Barb who gives up a little DPS in trade for being able to be kept upright by a Ranger.

Those types of builds are my favorites. Others can have their full-retard DPS - I'll save the raid when they die.

Bet you wish you had some of those dps builds when you drank 50 pots in abbot though :p

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

TDarkchylde
Dragon Raider

It's just a simulation...

Reply #69 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Dec 9th, 2011 at 3:22am:
Bet you wish you had some of those dps builds when you drank 50 pots in abbot though :p

I was on my Ranger. I quit bringing my blue bars in there a long time ago.

AIM  
IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #70 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
I think most people in the past learned the game by playing a pure class to cap first to gain an understanding of basic game mechanics as well as come in contact with some advanced ideas. Then they made their own custom build and learned from the mistakes  pointed out by posting it on the forums. Any one who brings a concept build as their first toon usually sucks... Some continue in denial (snootch, and MrEd and his fighter/wizard 10/10) the rest play dex rogues. I think this is what Epoch was meaning but it was hidden in his elitist rhetoric,which backed him onto a corner  and wouldn't let him further explain his idea.

The trouble with using most forum builds without prior game experience is they require restrictive gear and certain technical aspects of play to reach theirs peak or even a functional level of playability, one exception of this is the exploiter that has been mentioned... With minimal gear and exploiter can be run up to cap easily without twink.

Also fuck grenfell and batman builds he just patented the name lol.

Also I now call any build that is strength max, con high as possible witH a few points tucked elsewhere that uses the ESoS an Angainor build, I hope to do an Angainor Paladin, Barbarian and Kensei since I have a favored soul. The concept of max  strength and high con is so counter intuitive it's very cutting edge on a melee. ( not sure who started calling the wf fvs an Angainor build  but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Angainor and if it was he deserves being teased about it)

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Axeman
Waterworks Kobold

ESAD

Reply #71 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
strawberrybacon wrote on Dec 7th, 2011 at 8:32am:
Hi Welcome.

So, i was looking up different builds on the forums to find out what to make next. And because I was bored.

My favorite characters to play are Fvs, og. og so fun! I have both evoker and.. the other one. lol.
I also have a  tr PM wizard. She's awesome to play. It was tough getting her to be able to  be awesome tho. Seems like it was a lot of work. i bought arti, made character, never played. Just recently made my first evasion character, it's an edited version of some build on the ddo.forums. ShockedD  aaaaaaannnnnddd evasion is fun. My str based fvs was a barb last life. barbs were fun till end game and i had no gear, haha.. so i was just like, fuck this.. I'm tring into a fvs. shrug, and i did. love it.

I haven't met a full/ranger yet that I like. (ingame)
I noticed that the type of person who has a full rogue as their main toon, is generally a weirdo in real life. Not the bad kind, just the weird kind. I live with one, and go clubbing with another. They both are crazy. and quirky. There are others.

I have yet to meet an archmagi that is an awesome person. I only know of one AM, he was in mangar, (argo) and he was sorta a douche.
"well my character is far better than your character..." This was back when I was a n00b and literally my first character was a PM wizard... of course urs is better silly. Meow.

Anywho, any thoughts on fun builds that are just awesome to play? Or, which ones are HARD to play but that you enjoy anyway? What's the worst experiance you've had either running into, or playing a character?

Cheesy

I'm sorry, but I am pretty sure that if your first toon was a PM wiz than you are still a N@@B
Grin

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #72 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
I usually read up on different builds for a class when I get the itch to try a new one.  The actual build isn't that important, but good discussion/critical analysis of the build in the replies are a big help to me.  I usually get an idea for a class mix I'd like to try, do a forum search, and find that someone has it out there already.  Reading through it gives most of the pros and cons of the build before I even have to fire up the planner and condenses the 6-7 competing visions for the toon down to one or two to best mesh with my playstyle.

AS FAR AS HANDWRITING GOES, THIS IS PROBABLY THE BEST APPROXIMATION AND HAS BEEN SINCE MY FIRST DRAFTING CLASS IN MIDDLE SCHOOL.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Maxwell Edison wrote on Dec 9th, 2011 at 7:08pm:
I usually read up on different builds for a class when I get the itch to try a new one.  The actual build isn't that important, but good discussion/critical analysis of the build in the replies are a big help to me.  I usually get an idea for a class mix I'd like to try, do a forum search, and find that someone has it out there already.  Reading through it gives most of the pros and cons of the build before I even have to fire up the planner and condenses the 6-7 competing visions for the toon down to one or two to best mesh with my playstyle.

AS FAR AS HANDWRITING GOES, THIS IS PROBABLY THE BEST APPROXIMATION AND HAS BEEN SINCE MY FIRST DRAFTING CLASS IN MIDDLE SCHOOL.

Why does your signature make me stop and stare at it for 5 minutes?

IP Logged

furbyoats
Stormreaver Piker

One stroke at a time...

Reply #74 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
JDollar wrote on Dec 9th, 2011 at 3:26pm:
Also I now call any build that is strength max, con high as possible witH a few points tucked elsewhere that uses the ESoS an Angainor build, I hope to do an Angainor Paladin, Barbarian and Kensei since I have a favored soul. The concept of max  strength and high con is so counter intuitive it's very cutting edge on a melee. ( not sure who started calling the wf fvs an Angainor build  but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Angainor and if it was he deserves being teased about it)

Lol, funny thing about his WF FvS build post is that it is titled...WF FvS, healer/buffer/fighter

Nowhere in the title does he name it lol.
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2011 at 3:28pm by furbyoats »  

Ungood wrote on Jul 29th, 2011 at 2:17pm:
Queens don't have dicks.

Atenhotep wrote on Sep 14th, 2011 at 1:56am:
I spend every evening naked in a fetal position crying because my penis is so small.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Send TopicPrint