Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Maybe the challenges aren't so bad after all... (Read 17651 times)
Landar
Waterworks Kobold

Cannith Crystal Epic!

Re: Maybe the challenges aren't so bad after all...
Reply #25 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Run Lava Caves : Colossal Crystals Epic 21.
Get "good" at it, utilizing a 6-man party.
Get 800+ Epic Jade Scorpions per 15 minutes.
Run 4 times a day.

That's 3200+ Jade Scorps in an hour, which translates to 10 Epic Dungeon Tokens an hour, plus 200+ Scorps left over for the next day.

I've been running them on Sarlona in Samulos' groups, and that's been my experience so far.  Much faster way of getting tokens than, say, running Epics.  Even better return rate than eDA's 4 per hour.

Festivius/Hobadash/Kiarnan/McPhail ~ Eternal Wrath
Aneist/Oshkosch/Dalzeil ~ Silent Accord
Sarlona

IP Logged

GreyMouser
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:35am
Print Post  
I'm shocked SHOCKED that after they are around for a while and not NEW that people actually enjoy them.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #27 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:35am
Print Post  
GreyMouser wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:35am:
I'm shocked SHOCKED that after they are around for a while and not NEW that people actually enjoy them.

Suck it hater! Tongue

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #28 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:42am
Print Post  

I never said I enjoy them. I'm there for the loot, not the "fun". These are not fun. They are tolerable. If that loot was available from a regular quest, I'd run that instead. If I could get 10 epic tokens per hour running other epic quests, I would do that.

We've been doing them as a guild to get arti via favor unlock. I made 2 items so far, and have plans for 2 more. None of us enjoy them. My guild leader did at first, but after grinding out for his belt and rings, he dislikes them as much as any of us. There are still a few guildies that refuse to run them because the challenges are fucking stupid. If the loot wasn't so good, or if I could get similar effects elsewhere (+5 skill mastery, I'm looking at you), I'd never set foot out there.

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #29 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:56am
Print Post  
I have run 3 challenges a couple of times over the last 2 days.  The novelty factor is still there for me and they're not bad.  Of course all I really look for in a quest is a swath of monsters I can hurl myself at until candy comes out.

IP Logged

Jackknife of Sarlona
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 12:59pm
Print Post  

Yeah, I've only been running them for a couple of weeks now. I got the stalker ring to tier 3, working on upgrading the air rapier, and it looks like I'll want a couple of other items for other toons.

I think a few of the challenges are actually a bit fun, but a few others are not. I'm mostly running them to complete max favor on my rogue and definitely to get some of that sweet loot.

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 1:04pm
Print Post  

Sorry mate, I don't bitch much, and I help out on Lammania whenever possible,but since you are paying attention, I have something to say.

A small portion of the population may enjoy them, but most are only grinding them for the favor/loot.

Attaching favor to them was a horrible idea. Since you can't get all 5 stars without a full group ( I guess you can on an arcane, according to some) on most of them, ViP's (yes, I know premium is a better value, but at $100 for a year, I prefer to be lazy) like me ended up purchasing arties with my "free" TP. That is plain wrong.

On Ghallanda you can't get groups for them, even at lowest level and marking it as a favor run. I know, I tried for almost a month and a half putting up LFM's and advertising in channels. Those with more time to play had what they wanted in the first couple of days and are done with them. No one else is interested.

They are not fun, some even have counter intuitive goals (raise 12 kobolds? Why are we supposed to let them die just to achieve a goal?) and forcing people to "play my way or pay" to get something a ViP should get automatically or with "minimal" effort is bull.

I am ok with earning favor as an unlock, but "forcing" people to play a specific type and group of quests is a piss poor idea. Like with FvS, an overall favor requirement would have been more palatable. But you say it goes with the House C theme, so it should be House C favor. No. The character plays everywhere, not just House C. The character is supposed to a hero in Stormreach, not just House C.

Minimally, it should have been the first favor unlock if you kept it in House C.

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Sorry mate, I don't bitch much, and I help out on Lammania whenever possible,but since you are paying attention, I have something to say.

A small portion of the population may enjoy them, but most are only grinding them for the favor/loot.

Attaching favor to them was a horrible idea. Since you can't get all 5 stars without a full group ( I guess you can on an arcane, according to some) on most of them, ViP's (yes, I know premium is a better value, but at $100 for a year, I prefer to be lazy) like me ended up purchasing arties with my "free" TP. That is plain wrong.

On Ghallanda you can't get groups for them, even at lowest level and marking it as a favor run. I know, I tried for almost a month and a half putting up LFM's and advertising in channels. Those with more time to play had what they wanted in the first couple of days and are done with them. No one else is interested.

They are not fun, some even have counter intuitive goals (raise 12 kobolds? Why are we supposed to let them die just to achieve a goal?) and forcing people to "play my way or pay" to get something a ViP should get automatically or with "minimal" effort is bull.

I am ok with earning favor as an unlock, but "forcing" people to play a specific type and group of quests is a piss poor idea. Like with FvS, an overall favor requirement would have been more palatable. But you say it goes with the House C theme, so it should be House C favor. No. The character plays everywhere, not just House C. The character is supposed to a hero in Stormreach, not just House C.

Minimally, it should have been the first favor unlock if you kept it in House C.

QFT.

Artificer should have been free to VIPs, and if they had to have favor for the challenges then they should have had the 150 House C favor be some kind of Silver Flame Potion equivalent for warforged or something.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #33 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 7:03am
Print Post  
Landar wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 10:43am:
Get 800+ Epic Jade Scorpions per 15 minutes.
Run 4 times a day.

That's 3200+ Jade Scorps in an hour, which translates to 10 Epic Dungeon Tokens an hour, plus 200+ Scorps left over for the next day.

I've been running them on Sarlona in Samulos' groups, and that's been my experience so far.  Much faster way of getting tokens than, say, running Epics.  Even better return rate than eDA's 4 per hour.

Hmm. That's something I hadn't considered.

I'm a bit hampered on the challenge front as my main running partner doesnt have the pack and wants nothing to do with it. I hop into groups when I am on and he's not to try and grab the Cannith favour more than anything, but it would be nice to build up a stockpile of tokens before my sub runs out in May. Hmmm.

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #34 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Other than a couple pieces of loot that are handy every now and then, I'm a fan of the Epic Rock Boots on my toons.  That's an easy to obtain FoM item. eLoB anyone?  Wink

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Landar wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 10:43am:

With scaling as it is in the challenges(stupidly scaled) I find it much easier to run with 4 man groups. spawns are less, damage less, hp's less.

seems like they have 4 teirs of scaling. solo, 2 man, 3-4 man and 5-6 man. havent tested it extensively, this is only my observation from spending way too many hours in them.

IP Logged

Landar
Waterworks Kobold

Cannith Crystal Epic!

Reply #36 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jan 12th, 2012 at 1:41pm:
With scaling as it is in the challenges(stupidly scaled) I find it much easier to run with 4 man groups. spawns are less, damage less, hp's less.

seems like they have 4 teirs of scaling. solo, 2 man, 3-4 man and 5-6 man. havent tested it extensively, this is only my observation from spending way too many hours in them.

I think you're right on the scaling, or at least on the right track.

And yeah - I ran Colossal CRF21 a few times yesterday with a bud, and we were pulling 600~800 as a duo team. 

I liked the 6-man because we had 1 at entrance, 2 clearing to the crystal, and 3 on a quick-moving scout/grab purples team.

But, as my experience with the duo would show, the returns are not so diminished that I'd worry about filling, or running with two, provided both knew what they were doing, and meshed well together.  Even at the bare minimum of 600 mats, and 17 minutes on clock (getting the Colossal Crystal gets you 2 more minutes of time), you're looking at just over 35 ingredients/minute.  Comparing that to Kobold Island/Mansion quests, which seem to be 10~15 ingredients/minute ... yeah.  I'll take Lava Caves.

Festivius/Hobadash/Kiarnan/McPhail ~ Eternal Wrath
Aneist/Oshkosch/Dalzeil ~ Silent Accord
Sarlona

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #37 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Buying time is the best IMO. Level 21 with 4 people is the sweet spot.
  • One for torches
  • One to clear around the center and hustle back for incoming
  • Two to range out and kill stuff. (clear out the rooms the dragon can spawn in for a decent number of kills)

This one you don't stray too far from the middle with your torches. The first room in the upper east usually has ~5 purples (which is half your quota) and then down the ramp (instead of turning right into the first room) will usually yield the rest that you need. The rest is gravy. Add in kills, and you'll be netting 225-300 mephit wings per 5 minute run.

Yep. Almost 1 full token for 5 minutes of stupid torches. I love it.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Landar wrote on Jan 12th, 2012 at 1:57pm:
I ran Colossal CRF21 a few times yesterday with a bud, and we were pulling 600~800 as a duo team.

ran colossal solo @cr20.... in the octo hallway there was 6 mobs that spawned iirc. couple rangers, giants and the named scorp.

incomings to the kobold forman area was 1-2 mobs.

I know its not epic cr, but i needed a few base jades  Angry

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #39 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Level 25 Time is Money solo, 150-250 per 5 minutes

Just grab teleporter, the deployed torches that are on the side of the base area so the kobolds don't wander too far and then featherfall off the bridge to the left. There are 5 pad locations in that area and usually purples. Deploy your teleporter and nuke the few mobs that might be there. Derp them with WoP if you aren't some sort of fancy caster person.

Sometimes you get a bad layout with no pads/purples, so you just recall and restart with your 45 seconds wasted.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #40 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 12:21am:
ran colossal solo @cr20.... in the octo hallway there was 6 mobs that spawned iirc. couple rangers, giants and the named scorp.

incomings to the kobold forman area was 1-2 mobs.

I know its not epic cr, but i needed a few base jades  >http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Smoak.png

Plus with how messed up scaling is right now, just leave a self healing hireling back at base.

IP Logged

PlaidPooka
DQ Assaulter

Fuckity-fuck-fuck

Reply #41 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 9:43am:
I may be the only person out there that actually enjoys the challenges. Smiley

I'm not saying their worthwhile.  Other than the actual challenge rewards most of them have little to no loot and only guild renown from kills.  The xp is mediocre at best.  But I actually find most of them fun to play.  Once you learn the layout Rushmore is a fun dungeon crawl.  I actually enjoy running torches for the kobolds so I like Lava Caves and Extraplanar Mining.  Really the only one that I'm not crazy about is Kobold Island, and that's just because it involves much more running around in circles than actually doing anything.

I agrere.  I like running the challenges just because I think they are fun to play.  It's not about the stuff.  Eventually I might get bored with it, but right now it's fun.

Tarrant can suck my boobies.  On second thought, they are far too soft and supple for the likes of him.  Tarrant, you can GFY while having hopeless pathetic dreams of my boobies.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #42 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
If you have a good group, trying to 5-star the level 20 challenges can be really nice XP if you haven't been in them before.  You get a sizeable bonus to XP on the first run that your character makes in a challenge.

I played healer for a group of TRs that were 18, holding 19 and they picked up about 50k XP per challenge.  That was enough to put several of them at cap.

fnord

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #43 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Well fuck the challenges now. No more awesome mephit wing farming.

Wish I had farmed epic tokens last week instead of leveling. Goddamnit.

IP Logged

Hafeal
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 12:52pm:
Well fuck the challenges now. No more awesome mephit wing farming.

Wish I had farmed epic tokens last week instead of leveling. Goddamnit.

I had not bitten the bullet to buy the pack since going Premium a week or so ago.  Guess I won't be missing much.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #45 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Hafeal wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 1:02pm:
I had not bitten the bullet to buy the pack since going Premium a week or so ago.  Guess I won't be missing much.

Don't get me wrong, some of the loot is awesome. But beyond getting enough mats for a few items, there's little reason to run these. If I wasn't a VIP I'd never have set foot in them. And forget paying 1600 turbine points for them. As much as they want to claim 15+ quests, there are 4. Three if you count the cove clones and the same quest with a slightly different map, which I do.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #46 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 1:06pm:
Don't get me wrong, some of the loot is awesome. But beyond getting enough mats for a few items, there's little reason to run these. If I wasn't a VIP I'd never have set foot in them. And forget paying 1600 turbine points for them. As much as they want to claim 15+ quests, there are 4. Three if you count the cove clones and the same quest with a slightly different map, which I do.

Materials and once each for XP.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #47 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
I don't even bother with the one's I can't 6 star on my first run for XP.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #48 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
I'm still never buying that pack. If I'm not buying it at 1495 TP with exploits, I'm sure as hell never going to without.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 2:03pm
Print Post  

They're more enjoyable than slayers, but don't interpret that as any more than that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint