Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Maybe the challenges aren't so bad after all... (Read 17613 times)
rest
One Man Wolfpack

Maybe the challenges aren't so bad after all...
Jan 4th, 2012 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Got a (shitty charisma) ioun stone and a +3 lesser heart of wood from level 7 challenge chests. We were doing kobold island challenges on level 15. You can get a shit load of chests from level 15 disruptor. Lots of red and orange named stuff  to get chests from.

Friendly FYI. I would post it up in that thread on the other forums, but well I can't.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Re: Maybe the challenges aren't so bad after all...
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 1:10am
Print Post  
You would think sirgog could've just asked someone with a chest in the bank to record a video while he was going at it, or something.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 9:43am
Print Post  
I may be the only person out there that actually enjoys the challenges. Smiley

I'm not saying their worthwhile.  Other than the actual challenge rewards most of them have little to no loot and only guild renown from kills.  The xp is mediocre at best.  But I actually find most of them fun to play.  Once you learn the layout Rushmore is a fun dungeon crawl.  I actually enjoy running torches for the kobolds so I like Lava Caves and Extraplanar Mining.  Really the only one that I'm not crazy about is Kobold Island, and that's just because it involves much more running around in circles than actually doing anything.

IP Logged

Orberon
Waterworks Kobold

Is It Not Nifty?

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 11:10am
Print Post  
I find the challenges ok to play, so are better than others, but I have never pulled anything but junk from the chest in anyone of them. So congraz rest...

Kobold's still hate you!    Cool

3325863186 2432 881621163412 3216 24313124331933248826 1932 3216878621163412 53243325 89863232 248833868989242686884286 198834 87163186 3286883286 33251988 5386 25195786. - 341688 258631168934

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Orberon wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 11:10am:
I find the challenges ok to play, so are better than others, but I have never pulled anything but junk from the chest in anyone of them. So congraz rest...

Kobold's still hate you!    Cool

Yeah some are better than others. Rushmore is my favorite, followed by lava caves. I don't much care for Planar Mining quests, and the Island ones are shitty, especially considering that you need to pay TP to 5 star them (can't build more than 5 turrets unless you have the requisitions for them through drops or the store).

IP Logged

Hafeal
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Well, if they have upped the loot to get players in, maybe I will try them again just to take a crack at something nice.  Otherwise though, they hold no interest for me.  I play DDO for more immersion and the challenges don't provide that for me.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Loot is the sole reason I'm in the challanges. I love the tunic on my monk, and he wants a spare hand as well. I'll probably build a ring for my rogue too.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 9:43am:
The xp is mediocre at best. 

Just before New Years, I recall getting around 1.5k XP/min on one of the lava cave ones on level 15/16 characters. I think we five-starred it, barb and FvS, on a challenge where buying less than 9 minutes of time was worth a star. We barely got the final star - the FvS took down the giant with a second or two to spare while I babysat kobolds.

I don't recall getting the repetition XP penalty on challenges, so that may help too, if you can run it the tenth time for the same XP as the first. While not the best XP/min in the game, I was surprised to see over 1k/min.

(checking leaderboards, I have a 5-star, Time is Money, level 15 challenge, probably on level 16 chars)
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2012 at 12:29pm by Kimberlite »  

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

hgm-chi
Dragon Raider

Meh.

Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
The challenges to me seem like the Farmville of D&D.  D&D by Zynga, basically.

I'll be doing them for the gear though, I'm sure.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
hgm-chi wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 12:41pm:
The challenges to me seem like the Farmville of D&D.  D&D by Zynga, basically.

I'll be doing them for the gear though, I'm sure.

I've never played Farmville, but have seen it played. The challenges do not appear to be like Farmville. Two are quite like Crystal Cove (extraplanar, lava caves), but the optionals and quest mechanics add enough flavor to make them interesting. One is a bit like protecting Coyle in Threnal except that the extractors don't fight back, and you have more than one of them to protect (Kobold Island). The other is a pure smash-dash-and-kill (Rushmore).

Of the four, I don't enjoy Kobold Island at all. I have mixed feelings about Rushmore, and enjoy the other two. I find that it is more difficult to pug challenges in a group without voice chat.

Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #10 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 12:25pm:
Just before New Years, I recall getting around 1.5k XP/min on one of the lava cave ones on level 15/16 characters. I think we five-starred it, barb and FvS, on a challenge where buying less than 9 minutes of time was worth a star. We barely got the final star - the FvS took down the giant with a second or two to spare while I babysat kobolds.

I don't recall getting the repetition XP penalty on challenges, so that may help too, if you can run it the tenth time for the same XP as the first. While not the best XP/min in the game, I was surprised to see over 1k/min.

(checking leaderboards, I have a 5-star, Time is Money, level 15 challenge, probably on level 16 chars)

Some of the level 20's on first time are worth ~40k.  One of my guildies managed to avoid all the content past the Vale on his latest incarnation because we went for House C favor.

I think of it as incidental XP.  You’re not actively seeking it.  But when you notice it, it’s because you managed to earn a lot of it.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #11 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
I'm going to go for favour at some point and then see what interesting loot I'm close to. Probably a rapier for the Soul and possibly a ring and a belt for the monk. Undecided. But they don't seem too bad to grind for, at least to get the base items,

IP Logged

hgm-chi
Dragon Raider

Meh.

Reply #12 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 12:58pm:
I've never played Farmville, but have seen it played. The challenges do not appear to be like Farmville. Two are quite like Crystal Cove (extraplanar, lava caves), but the optionals and quest mechanics add enough flavor to make them interesting. One is a bit like protecting Coyle in Threnal except that the extractors don't fight back, and you have more than one of them to protect (Kobold Island). The other is a pure smash-dash-and-kill (Rushmore).

Of the four, I don't enjoy Kobold Island at all. I have mixed feelings about Rushmore, and enjoy the other two. I find that it is more difficult to pug challenges in a group without voice chat.

It's not so much that it looks anything like Farmville or anything... it's just the design of them.  They are small, simple tasks designed to be done repeatedly.  There is no sense of questing or even a storyline to go with them.

It's kinda like your DDO character is walking into an midway and playing a few booths over and over and over again until he gets enough tickets from them to trade in for the big stuffed animal on the top shelf.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
hgm-chi wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 1:22pm:
It's not so much that it looks anything like Farmville or anything... it's just the design of them.  They are small, simple tasks designed to be done repeatedly.  There is no sense of questing or even a storyline to go with them.

After a half-dozen completions, the storyline in any quest is reduced to an annoying run back and forth between the quest entrance and some NPCs that you have to talk to before you can proceed. Delera's parts 1 and 3 are widely viewed as obstacles to the tasty XP from window farming parts 2 and 4. Before the bravery bonus, who actually ran the Shadow Crypt flagging quests instead of just using an opener?

The whole game is a hamster wheel. The challenges have just as much storyline as other quests like helping Scragg in the Harbour, or Proof is in the Poison - either helping the Kobold Union get the goods, or getting rid of Dr. Rushmore, whose mansion appeared overnight on an empty lot in Stormreach. Getting four or five stars may lack the complexity of raids like Titan, but teamwork and adapatability is a real requirement in the challenges, instead of a rote series of steps, repeated the same every time. The challenges have more randomness than something like wiz-king, where every spawn is basically the same.

For the ones that have realistic star levels (collecting 10,000 crystals is not realistic for me) working to get extra stars is fun. It is best with friends though, using voice and working together.

hgm-chi wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 1:22pm:
It's kinda like your DDO character is walking into an midway and playing a few booths over and over and over again until he gets enough tickets from them to trade in for the big stuffed animal on the top shelf.

As opposed to say, DQ, where you run through, and pull a slot machine at the end to see if you get a Torc. Maybe you'll get insanely lucky on your first run, maybe it will show up on your 20th completion list, or maybe you'll be the cursed one who needs 80 times or more.

Or epics? Is that mechanic better? Running quests until you hate them, dozens or hundreds of completions just for one item, hoping and waiting for three different slot machines to deliver your scroll, seal, and shard? I know which loot mechanic I would characterize as broken, and it isn't the challenges.

IP Logged

hgm-chi
Dragon Raider

Meh.

Reply #14 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 2:04pm:
Or epics? Is that mechanic better? Running quests until you hate them, dozens or hundreds of completions just for one item, hoping and waiting for three different slot machines to deliver your scroll, seal, and shard? I know which loot mechanic I would characterize as broken, and it isn't the challenges.

You'll get no argument from me on that, for sure... the epic and raid loot mechanic is totally screwed, and I don't participate in it really, other than running with guildies if that's what they are doing.  I can totally appreciate that the challenges at least have a light at the end of the tunnel in terms of getting to the gear you want.

I also don't XP farm quests though (before bravery bonus, even), and I don't particularly farm for EQ either.  I'd rather level another character than grind gear, and I guess that's why I find the challenges a bit off-putting.  They are built to grind, and there's no attempt to hide it even.

Anyhow, probably doing a poor job explaining what I mean, but I promise I'll give them a try in a group and see if I like them any better.

IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #15 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
hgm-chi wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 5:57pm:
You'll get no argument from me on that, for sure... the epic and raid loot mechanic is totally screwed, and I don't participate in it really, other than running with guildies if that's what they are doing.  I can totally appreciate that the challenges at least have a light at the end of the tunnel in terms of getting to the gear you want.

I also don't XP farm quests though (before bravery bonus, even), and I don't particularly farm for EQ either.  I'd rather level another character than grind gear, and I guess that's why I find the challenges a bit off-putting.  They are built to grind, and there's no attempt to hide it even.

Anyhow, probably doing a poor job explaining what I mean, but I promise I'll give them a try in a group and see if I like them any better.

This is the reason I have so few epics - totally not worth the grind for me; BUT I do occationally run some, and that means once in a great while I will get (or trade) for something to make....

I would much rather build a new char or TR an old one

from Preamus: Quote:
at least i'm agnostic so while I "think" you're full of crap I don't "know" you're full of crap

Strakeln wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:37pm:
JakLee will be the bailiff.  He's got a stun gun and everything.

Have you seen my platypus?
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who need closure.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
hgm-chi wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 5:57pm:

Since I usually hit the wall at 3-4 repetitions of a quest, I don't see myself grinding challenges very hard. They're also not limited in time like Crystal Cove or Mabar, so there is no pressure to repeat them ad nauseum. I might target the area for a bit of XP while leveling, and for downtime between chains, since they can be fun to two-man, and some are really quick (lava caves and extraplanar palace). I probably have enough ingredients already to make a few items, but am in no hurry.

Most of the base level 4-12 items do not seem to be worth the trouble if you have 40+ levels in Cannith crafting, and the Calomel weapons appear to be a bad joke given how few quests in the game feature dragons. Unless you only have one character, I also don't see the point in grinding for ingredients for tier 2 or 3 upgrades on any of the level 4-12 items, since they will be outleveled so quickly, and the upgrades bind them to character. However, if I can turn the level 12 longbow into a level 10 item with Masterful Craftsmanship, I'll probably do that for my lowbie ranger, and upgrade it as I go.

As I slowly accumulate ingredients, I'll probably make a few accessories to pass around or stick on my main. I'm eyeing the fire shield:cold for my cleric, and a few other items for my monk and WF wizard. The elemental weapons appear to be worthwhile too.

I am more than a little disgusted that the FoM nerf took place at the same time as the challenges introduced boots that are the only item in the game to offer earthgrab guard. That just feels sleazy.

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 7:10pm:
Since I usually hit the wall at 3-4 repetitions of a quest, I don't see myself grinding challenges very hard. They're also not limited in time like Crystal Cove or Mabar, so there is no pressure to repeat them ad nauseum. I might target the area for a bit of XP while leveling, and for downtime between chains, since they can be fun to two-man, and some are really quick (lava caves and extraplanar palace). I probably have enough ingredients already to make a few items, but am in no hurry.

Most of the base level 4-12 items do not seem to be worth the trouble if you have 40+ levels in Cannith crafting, and the Calomel weapons appear to be a bad joke given how few quests in the game feature dragons. Unless you only have one character, I also don't see the point in grinding for ingredients for tier 2 or 3 upgrades on any of the level 4-12 items, since they will be outleveled so quickly, and the upgrades bind them to character. However, if I can turn the level 12 longbow into a level 10 item with Masterful Craftsmanship, I'll probably do that for my lowbie ranger, and upgrade it as I go.

As I slowly accumulate ingredients, I'll probably make a few accessories to pass around or stick on my main. I'm eyeing the fire shield:cold for my cleric, and a few other items for my monk and WF wizard. The elemental weapons appear to be worthwhile too.

I am more than a little disgusted that the FoM nerf took place at the same time as the challenges introduced boots that are the only item in the game to offer earthgrab guard. That just feels sleazy.

My caster loved running around in triple earth HP boots. Earthgrab guard procced quite a bit, and the +50% damage was a nice addition when I can just turn around and zap something.

Then I made conopp, and ran out of slots.

IP Logged

Deathdefy
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 2:30am
Print Post  
The 5 mins for ~5k xp with Time is Money is definitely a highlight of the challenges; though the ML to get in is (theoretically) 15.   You don't always get the warlock since he can spawn up in the giant camp or down at the bottom of the waterfall, but the other 4 stars are near-guaranteed if you play like a wuss and focus on kobolds living and teleporting as soon as you hit quota.

I use it to coast to a level if I'm reasonably close or am just twiddling thumbs waiting for a real quest.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Quote:
My caster loved running around in triple earth HP boots. Earthgrab guard procced quite a bit, and the +50% damage was a nice addition when I can just turn around and zap something.

Then I made conopp, and ran out of slots.

D'oh. For some reason, I had read it as rock boots protecting against earthgrab. I'm a noob.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #20 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
I enjoy running the challenges with 2 or 3 guildies at a time. There is awesome gear in them in some cases better than epic raid stuff. I like that it's a guaranteed grind. 600 base and 1200 epic and you have bonifide end game gear.
Every melee that isn't a main tank needs a ring of the stalker, every tactics melee and rogue needs the belt, every caster needs the cloak (even if you have the red dragon scale the cloak is better) every wf caster needs the other ring. And the list goes on.

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
JDollar wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 1:57pm:
I enjoy running the challenges with 2 or 3 guildies at a time. There is awesome gear in them in some cases better than epic raid stuff. I like that it's a guaranteed grind. 600 base and 1200 epic and you have bonifide end game gear.
Every melee that isn't a main tank needs a ring of the stalker, every tactics melee and rogue needs the belt, every caster needs the cloak (even if you have the red dragon scale the cloak is better) every wf caster needs the other ring. And the list goes on.

I personally plan on getting the bracers for my sorc (air savant, now I don't need to shuffle around gear for the eCloak of the Zephyr) and the boots, arti ring, and a calomel (either ml 16 with dragon bane crafted or ml 20, can't decide) on my WF paladin. I know I sacrifice a ToD ring for the arti ring (hell, I've already got the Encrusted I'll be replacing), but it's a great item to have around, and it'll let me where my eMoron belt (which keeps my strength even, unless I ever pull a +4 tome).

IMO, there are two loot "mechanics" possible in a game - farming and grinding. Farming is running something in order to pull a set, more or less guaranteed reward that you can later use to make what you want. Grinding is running content in order to get a small percent chance of getting the items you want. Grinding is good for those "Holy Grail" items like the eRoSS, that is powerful but hardly necessary. I much prefer farming for items that are deemed "necessary" for a certain build, since grinding for necessary gear leaves too much up to luck.

IP Logged

Montrose
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
I don't mind the challenges.  You can solo them easily, even at level 25, and they don't take long.  Good thing to do when you just have 15-20 min to play.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #23 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 3:40am
Print Post  
Montrose wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 8:52pm:
I don't mind the challenges.  You can solo them easily, even at level 25, and they don't take long.  Good thing to do when you just have 15-20 min to play.

See, I tried them a few times on Lama and they just didn't seem soloable at all, then. Particularly given the kobolds seemed to die so ridiculously easily on the kobold ones.

Have they tweaked the difficulty? Should I try them again?

I probably need to make myself a list of stuff I'd like - that would motivate me a bit more I'm sure...

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #24 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 6:52am
Print Post  
They have made them easier and improved kob AI since Lam, aye. They're still boring as shit though, the only one I can really stomach is the 3 min torch one as it's so deliciously short.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint