Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) MadFloyd wants to talk about Enhancements (Read 23720 times)
Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: MadFloyd wants to talk about Enhancements
Reply #75 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 2:44am
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 2:26am:
Regarding the first part, it sounds like the devs are trying to come up with something

The same devs who came up with underwater combat!!!!! And crafting where you can take paralyzing off a weapon and put it onto another one!!!!  And druids in 2008!!!! Not to be all critical - the bravery bonus is a recent change that is great for example, but there is some history of overselling and under-delivering.

The 3 + 1 tree idea works ok with a 'normal' build (pure or your standard 18/2 splash) but taking away the ability to make crazier builds would be a terrible idea.

I have a 17/2/1 clr/monk/rog, which isn't all that crazy - I started it from the cleric build catalog maybe six months after I began playing. I don't think I'd even touch the rogue tree when it comes time to respec. Apart from the UMD, I don't find the rogue all that useful. There are very few builds that would be harmed by limiting it to four trees, and as you said, "For every current build that might not work properly under the new system, I expect there will be 50 new ones people will think of".

Go look at the link a few posts up and read the different tiers on the PrE example given for Tempest rangers. There will likely be a ton of benefit in hitting Tier II in several of them (racial + class) if 4-6 levels will allow Tier II. That doesn't leave you with a lot of action points left over for more trees anyways.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #76 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 3:23am
Print Post  
The difference here is that it's the Devs themselves communicating with the players, not some vauge promise from an overhyped Kate or .

Kate should wordsub to something like

So you could have:

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #77 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 3:27am
Print Post  
We've seen some mutterings about putting potential content up on Lama much earlier recently. This seems like the ideal time.

I have decent hopes of it. The bravery bonus, after all, came from that epic thread MadFloyd started about making multiTRing less boring...

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #78 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 6:10am
Print Post  
while the tree idea was interesting I have to say that I'm somewhat disapointed by the implementation proposed.

Maybe it doesn't matter to you all to be stuck into a PrE ( or two or 3 ) tree... but out there there's some people ( and some builds ) that are not willing to go into PrE...
And this system is going to force them to go into PrE.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #79 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 6:23am
Print Post  
I like this.  Depending on its implementation I may be spending a lot more time on DDO.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #80 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 1:54am:
Reading peoples complaints over on the other forums is starting to hurt my head. I get it, you are afraid of change.

To be fair Turbine does not have a record for doing things right Cheesy

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #81 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Granted, with turbine it's often warranted, but this change will hopefully be bringing with it the rest of the PREs and a MASSIVE number of new character possibilities. For every current build that might not work properly under the new system, I expect there will be 50 new ones people will think of.

My concern is that these new possibilities will be Developer Designated Appropriate options, not creative combinations of component parts.  And that most of those new builds will be thanks to the Racial PrEs, not multiclassing.  I dislike that because it shoehorns builds into obvious race/class combos, and multiclassing gets gutted into a simple pure vs 2-level splash decision.

Quote:
On the second point, my suggestion was to have a base Racial tree + 3 class trees for a pure class character, with each additional class allowing them to add an additional tree. Up to a max of 5 class trees, in whatever layout you want.

The 3 + 1 tree idea works ok with a 'normal' build (pure or your standard 18/2 splash) but taking away the ability to make crazier builds would be a terrible idea.

That would be better than what we have now, which is worse than what you think it is.  I'm quite confident in my interpretation that we are intended to get 3 class trees, period, and the racial PrE counts as one of them.  I base this on MadFloyd's statement: "Each race will have an enhancement that adds another specific enhancement tree to the character’s available list of trees."  I believe this refers to the list under the dropdowns for each class pane, given the similar language here: "A multiclassed character can change a class enhancement tree with 0 points spent in it to a different class tree that is available to them using the drop down menus."

1 racial + 3 class would be better, adding one for each class taken even more so, but I'm just not seeing much good reason to limit them at all.  We're already limited by APs, and multiclasses already give up enhancements by giving up class levels.  And even if this is a net buff to multiclassing (which I don't think it is, even with unlimited trees), good!  Anything but 20 or 18/2 is far too uncommon as it is.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:11am by Cor »  

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #82 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Cor wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:10am:
I'm quite confident in my interpretation that we are intended to get 3 class trees, period, and the racial PrE counts as one of them. 

I'm sorry that you don't read well. From Madfloyd:
Quote:
A single classed character will have their racial tree and the three trees that are associated with their class displayed.

I am also sorry that you do not count very well either, since the pretty picture in Madfloyd's post shows four trees.

Since they're engaging so much, I am (still) hopeful that this will turn out well. They are dumping some garbage enhancements, probably getting rid of some garbage pre-requisites, and also having enough overlap/repetition in each tree that you can get stat improvements from 2-3 trees (and warpriest might be able to get str instead of wisdom). The best sounding part is that some of the PrE features might be decoupled from the PrE, so that you can take the 1-2 things from Deepwood Sniper that you really want for your Tempest, without having to go all in on Deepwood sniper like you would today.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:44am by Kimberlite »  

Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #83 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Tell me if I am grasping this new interface right -

example:
I have what will be a 14/4/2 Halfling Bard/Rogue/Fighter (currently lvl 15). With the new enhancement tree, theoretically I could have the following PrEs if I have enough AP to go around - Warchanter 1, Kensai II and Assassin I (proposed Racial Pre)? If that is the case, that character will go from adequate to "OMFG IT IS A TORNADO OF DEATH".

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #84 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:02am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:39am:

example:
I have what will be a 14/4/2 Halfling Bard/Rogue/Fighter (currently lvl 15). With the new enhancement tree, theoretically I could have the following PrEs if I have enough AP to go around - Warchanter 1, Kensai II and Assassin I (proposed Racial Pre)? If that is the case, that character will go from adequate to "OMFG IT IS A TORNADO OF DEATH".

Nope, you are reading it incorrectly.  The Kensai 2 would require 12 levels of fighter to get.  You could spend 20 points in the kensai tree, but you would get nothing extra for doing so.  The old class based requirements for levels on PrE's are remaining according to Eladrin and Madfloyd...at least in their current implementation.

You could get warchanter 2 and assassin 3 (racial) though assuming the racial penalty is 30 points or under.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:02am by Cyr »  

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #85 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:04am
Print Post  
The way I understand it is that you will need to reach a certain class level to be able to select higher tiered enhancements in a tree.  Prestiges will be based on total AP spent in a tree, but will only be activated once you reach the required class level.  So you could probably do Warchanter II/Assassin .75 (more tiers means we're gonna have to change our nomenclature, methinks).

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #86 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Oh yes, forgot to take racial into account, AssassinIII/WC II

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #87 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Cyr wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:02am:
You could get warchanter 2 and assassin 3 (racial) though assuming the racial penalty is 30 points or under.

Ok. I can't get the Kensai PrE but with 20 points on the ftr tree, could I get Ftr str 2 and fighter weapon bonus? I can't currently get those because of the lvl restrictions. 

Edited:
To clarify WC II doesn't do much for this build.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:08am by stainer »  

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #88 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:16am
Print Post  

example:

Maybe but probably not.

Many of the enhancements (including the 'freebies' for spending a certain number of points in each section) have a class level requirement.  Ie you unlock the Tempest I line if you have Ranger 6 or Drizzt 6.  So while you may be able to take enough enhancements in the kensai tree to qualify for 'kensai II' you would probably be shut off from the best perks there by virtue of the class level.

I will say that I'm ridiculously excited for my kid whose favorite toon is a pure halfling str-based earth stance monk.  This change for him will be SO fun - assassin and ninja spy both. Smiley

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #89 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 3:23am:
The difference here is that it's the Devs themselves communicating with the players, not some vauge promise from an overhyped Kate or http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Fernando4.png.

Kate should wordsub to something like http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii69/auran82/KatePaiz.jpg

So you could have: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii69/auran82/KatePaiz.jpghttp://www.ddovault.com/Images/Smoak.pnghttp://www.ddovault.com/Images/Fernando4.png

I can get behind this.

I'm rather sad now that I can't post on the official forums. I'd love to take part in that discussion. Oh well that's what I get for stomping on the wrong johnson over there.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:52am by rest »  

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #90 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:52am
Print Post  

example:
I have what will be a 14/4/2 Halfling Bard/Rogue/Fighter (currently lvl 15). With the new enhancement tree, theoretically I could have the following PrEs if I have enough AP to go around - Warchanter 1, Kensai II and Assassin I (proposed Racial Pre)? If that is the case, that character will go from adequate to "OMFG IT IS A little dust tornado you see in the middle of BFE that doesn't do shit but make you go OOOoooh!".

FTFY

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #91 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Belwaar wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:52am:
FTFY

Ouch.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #92 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:57am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:55am:
Ouch.

Sad

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #93 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:07am:
Ok. I can't get the Kensai PrE but with 20 points on the ftr tree, could I get Ftr str 2 and fighter weapon bonus? I can't currently get those because of the lvl restrictions. 

Edited:
To clarify WC II doesn't do much for this build.

That is a big unknown now.  One of the devs not sure if mad or eladrin did specifically mention that some enhancements would still have level or feat requirements attached to them, but they did it in a manner that to me indicates that this is probably not going to be as universal as it is currently.

I think you should ask that in the thread specifically, they have been better then normal in answering requests for clarification in that thread.

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #94 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:42am:
I'm sorry that you don't read well. From Madfloyd:
I am also sorry that you do not count very well either, since the pretty picture in Madfloyd's post shows four trees.

I read and count quite well.

The Racial tree is not the same as the Racial PrE tree.  Where do you suppose we spend the AP to gain access to the racial PrE?  Where do we get the Racial enhancements that are not part of the racial PrE, which is itself a clone of a class PrE?  The Racial tree.

The diagram shows Racial tree (which is not the Racial PrE) on the left, with three Class PrEs, one of which can be swapped out with the PrE that is purchased from the Racial tree.  More swaps being required for deep multiclassing for PrEs.

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #95 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Cor wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:39pm:
I read and count quite well.

The Racial tree is not the same as the Racial PrE tree.  Where do you suppose we spend the AP to gain access to the racial PrE?  Where do we get the Racial enhancements that are not part of the racial PrE, which is itself a clone of a class PrE?  The Racial tree.

The diagram shows Racial tree (which is not the Racial PrE) on the left, with three Class PrEs, one of which can be swapped out with the PrE that is purchased from the Racial tree.  More swaps being required for deep multiclassing for PrEs.

You read well?  So you just willfully ignored this from the same Madfloyd post?

Quote:
Each race will have an enhancement that adds another specific enhancement tree to the character’s available list of trees. Elves and Half-Elves, for instance, gain access to the Arcane Archer tree if they take the racial enhancement to unlock it. Dwarves gain access to Stalwart Defender. The player can choose to unlock the tree and then not use it, if they so desire. Trees unlocked in this way use the character’s total character level instead of class level for prerequisites and effects.

Edited:
This post may not be aimed at Cor.  One of you is fucking wrong on the internet though and I don't care enough to go back and figure out which one.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:46pm by Maxwell Edison »  

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #96 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Maxwell Edison wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:44pm:
You read well?  So you just willfully ignored this from the same Madfloyd post?

Nothing in that passage contradicts my interpretation.  In fact, that's a passage I specifically cited in support of my interpretation earlier in the thread.

Adding the enhancement tree to the character's available list of trees does not mean it won't need to be selected as one of the three Class trees.  "List", to me, sounds more like adding it to the dropdown list each Class tree gets, than adding it to a fourth pane.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:57pm by Cor »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #97 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
The more I read in that thread, the more I don't think this will end well. Sneak damage in the assassin tree only? Does that mean that haste boost will go in the acrobat tree and int bonuses into mechanic? If you're limited to 3 trees, and they split all that shit up based on what they think is thematically appropriate, multiclassing is going to suck balls.

Also the bard one kinda pisses me off too. Until I see exactly how this all shakes out, I am not impressed.

Knowing this huge changeup is coming means I probably won't be doing anymore TRs soon. Well maybe the wizard, because he will be a wizard next life.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #98 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Cor wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:39pm:
The Racial tree is not the same as the Racial PrE tree. 

Citation needed. I don't have time to re-read all of the dev posts right now, but if they haven't specifically stated anything, how do you know that the Racial PrE is not located within the Racial tree? It could just be red, and only become available as you spend AP within the racial tree.

Edited to add - I can't see what else they would put into the racial tree - it would be kind of empty otherwise.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 1:27pm by Kimberlite »  

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #99 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 1:24pm:
Citation needed. I don't have time to re-read all of the dev posts right now, but if they haven't specifically stated anything, how do you know that the Racial PrE is not located within the Racial tree? It could just be red, and only become available as you spend AP within the racial tree.

Edited to add - I can't see what else they would put into the racial tree - it would be kind of empty otherwise.

It's just my hypothesis.  I'm not absolutely certain.  It's neither clearly confirmed nor denied by the Devs.  I could be wrong, but I do think it is consistent with the info we've gotten.  About as consistent as Racial PrE being part of the Racial pane, and in addition to the three Class PrEs.  Overall, my sense of Madfloyd's post (where he speaks of adding it to a "list") points in the direction of it being necessary to choose it as one of the three Class panes.

As for what else would go on the Racial tree?  There would be stats, specific weapon bonuses, save bonuses, human versatility, that kind of stuff.  Page through the Racial enhancements lists on the Wiki, and there are lots there, even if you put the standard skill bonuses back into the class PrE trees.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 1:40pm by Cor »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint