Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDOCAST (Read 37809 times)
arkohighstar
Ex Member

Re: DDOCAST
Reply #100 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Old

New

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #101 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 12:48pm:
Basically you're saying RIP DDO?

/fantasy
DDO2.0  Migration of characters XP, epic levels, new code and engine...

it seems ddo is getting to the point where they cant handle their own code.  start clean with the same quality idea.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #102 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
One thing I don't understand, not that it could be a problem, is how the property rights work. Cyptic is releasing the NWN MMO, which is FR setting. How does this all work out?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

arkohighstar
Ex Member

Reply #103 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 12:57pm:
/fantasy
DDO2.0  Migration of characters XP, epic levels, new code and engine...

it seems ddo is getting to the point where they cant handle their own code.  start clean with the same quality idea.

This isn't necessarily the case, it could just be we enter a portal to the underdark and continue adventuring there. The expansions to Lotro simply opened up new area's to explore and new dungeons. Just because its FG and not Eberron does not mean its a completely cut off world.

I could see this as being the vehicle for levels above 20. This was done with Neverwinter Nights with Hordes of the Unnderdark which opened up lvl 20-30.
Turbine seems to like adding 4th edition stuf to their game these days and things that were once Eberron only like WF are now available to all campaigns

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #104 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Quote:
4th edition made some major changes to the Eberon Cosmology

http://community.wizards.com/coga/wiki/The_Planes_of_Eberron

Cheers, that makes it even easier.  You just have the portals go through the abyss.

IP Logged

arkohighstar
Ex Member

Reply #105 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 1:00pm:
One thing I don't understand, not that it could be a problem, is how the property rights work. Cyptic is releasing the NWN MMO, which is FR setting. How does this all work out?

Cryptic originally billed the game as an online action rpg, not an mmo. It could be that they were not granted exclusive rights, which means Hasbro was free to sell rights to Turbine for an expansion. Lets just say that from all I have read, the Hasbro and Atari settlement was mostly in Hasbro's favor.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #106 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Cryptic originally billed the game as an online action rpg, not an mmo. It could be that they were not granted exclusive rights, which means Hasbro was free to sell rights to Turbine for an expansion. Lets just say that from all I have read, the Hasbro and Atari settlement was mostly in Hasbro's favor.

Cool beans. Cryptic is going to be pissed if they release around the same time frame.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

arkohighstar
Ex Member

Reply #107 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Cyr wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 1:05pm:
Cheers, that makes it even easier.  You just have the portals go through the abyss.

Here is the Forgotten Realms 4th edition cosmology, it basically mirrors the Eberron one with different names for some of the planes

IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #108 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
The realms are the most popular D&D property.  The world has become a cluster-fuck of crazy, but there is a place anywhere on that world for anything.  I could see Turbine adding a FR world, but to really bring in the people they would need to be enough FR stuff that people would not need to go to Eberron at all.  If they had their own starting area and at least enough quests/explorer areas to cap a character and at least 1 class that is not available/released in Eberron but is in FR..... well it might work.

Personally I would love to see a spelljammer/planescape type hub with Eberron, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, FR, Darksun, Ravenloft, and Al Qadim all represented in different areas.  Imagine taking a Mul Gladiator and a High Elf Bladesinger along with your Warforged Wizard, Caliban Knight of the Raven, Half-djinn Sha'ir, and Teifling Warlock for a quest aboard a spelljammer ship!

from Preamus: Quote:
at least i'm agnostic so while I "think" you're full of crap I don't "know" you're full of crap

Strakeln wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:37pm:
JakLee will be the bailiff.  He's got a stun gun and everything.

Have you seen my platypus?
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who need closure.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #109 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Based on Cryptic's recent record:

- CoH/CoV which was sold to NCSoft  in 2007 with about 120,000 subs after being one of the most praised MMO's when it was released in 2004.
- Losing the Marvel Comics License
- Champions Online
- Star Trek Online (everyone I have ever spoken o who played said the game was awesome but lacked content and support and could be 'finished' in a few months. )

...would you trust them with exclusive rights to your license.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #110 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
JakLee wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 2:08pm:
The realms are the most popular D&D property.  The world has become a cluster-fuck of crazy, but there is a place anywhere on that world for anything.  I could see Turbine adding a FR world, but to really bring in the people they would need to be enough FR stuff that people would not need to go to Eberron at all.  If they had their own starting area and at least enough quests/explorer areas to cap a character and at least 1 class that is not available/released in Eberron but is in FR..... well it might work.

Personally I would love to see a spelljammer/planescape type hub with Eberron, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, FR, Darksun, Ravenloft, and Al Qadim all represented in different areas.  Imagine taking a Mul Gladiator and a High Elf Bladesinger along with your Warforged Wizard, Caliban Knight of the Raven, Half-djinn Sha'ir, and Teifling Warlock for a quest aboard a spelljammer ship!

Al-Qadim is on Toril, the same world as FR, Kara Tur and Maztica. Maztica was ripped off Toril for 4E and replaced with Abier, making the world called Abier-Toril. Angry

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #111 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Also, originally Eberron was separate in the cosmos and unreachable. You could not travel by any means to or from Eberron.

IP Logged

arkohighstar
Ex Member

Reply #112 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Also, originally Eberron was separate in the cosmos and unreachable. You could not travel by any means to or from Eberron.

This is still the case if you follow 3.5 edition cosmology. But Turbine has broken those rules before

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #113 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
This is still the case if you follow 3.5 edition cosmology. But Turbine has broken those rules before

I know, and this is one of the reasons WotC insisted it be used for DDO.

IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #114 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Al-Qadim is on Toril, the same world as FR, Kara Tur and Maztica. Maztica was ripped off Toril for 4E and replaced with Abier, making the world called Abier-Toril. >http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Smoak.png

I have the old box set from 2.0 edition - Abier-Toril (or some such spelling) is ALWAYS what the world was called, LOL.

The Al-Qadim was incorp'd into FR, but Kara Tur & Maztica were always intended to be parts of the world when designed & places like the Old Egyptian section (the name of which eludes me att) that was south of Thay or the Horselords expansion just kept adding races of people to incorporate mythos that woudl help boost sales.  Some of that stuff was REALLY well written.  Some.

from Preamus: Quote:
at least i'm agnostic so while I "think" you're full of crap I don't "know" you're full of crap

Strakeln wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:37pm:
JakLee will be the bailiff.  He's got a stun gun and everything.

Have you seen my platypus?
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who need closure.

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #115 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
JakLee wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 2:39pm:
I have the old box set from 2.0 edition - Abier-Toril (or some such spelling) is ALWAYS what the world was called, LOL.

The Al-Qadim was incorp'd into FR, but Kara Tur & Maztica were always intended to be parts of the world when designed & places like the Old Egyptian section (the name of which eludes me att) that was south of Thay or the Horselords expansion just kept adding races of people to incorporate mythos that woudl help boost sales.  Some of that stuff was REALLY well written.  Some.

Yea, but they retconned the lore for 4E, so now it is truly Abier-Toril and not just called it.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #116 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
JakLee wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 2:39pm:
the Old Egyptian section (the name of which eludes me att)

Mulhurand

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #117 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
LoL they love stainer. I tried posting something like this in general forums at ddo earlier yesterday morning and they never allowed my thread to show.

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #118 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Since they only really use the cosmology correctly when it suits them, it will probably go something like this when the story gets released:

Due to the planar imbalance caused by the Black Abbot that allowed stuff like the Shavarath invasion to happen, the imbalance has gotten worse and caused tears in the fabrics that hold back the realities themselves.  It has been found that one of the more accessible of these tears happens to lead into Lolth's home plane.  Explorers that ventured into this plane discovered that Lolth is planning to invade with the help of the Shavarath demons/devils.  In order to prevent this 2-front war, we enlist the help of the people from the Forgotten Realms in order to have Lolth occupied and not able to launch her own invasion. 

Since the bad guys would all be devils and drow, there would be no need for new art which would be too costly and fit within current engines.

Of course this could all be prevented by druids (who are planar guardians in Eberron) but since there are no PC druids this all is feasible Cheesy..
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2012 at 3:20pm by Selee »  

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #119 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
And since I would have to wait a month for my post to get verified on ddo forums, I'll post it here and maybe someone else can share it there.

Abyssal plague series for the books is contained in 3 worlds
( dungeons and dragon series, forgotten realms, and dark sun)

So it wouldnt be terribly hard for the writers to write something in, since most of the game stories we get are started from the books.

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #120 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Here is the Forgotten Realms 4th edition cosmology, it basically mirrors the Eberron one with different names for some of the planes

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/9/91/4e_FR_cosmology.jp...

Yeah, 4e really messed up all that stuff. There are all sorts of overlapping planes now.

Really easy to justify a cross setting campaign with the cosmology set up like that.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #121 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Anyone remember a PC game in the early 90's based on the Dark Sun campaign? Man I loved that game. Psionics FTW.

IP Logged

Combat Wombat
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #122 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Really hope they don't go into forgotten realms or another setting. FR has been done to death in every fucking dnd game to date and is still the defacto setting for most pnp games. Which means it is popular but I would rather DDO be DnD but be something different and interesting that keeps my imagination going and honestly so far Eberron has done that and I would hate to go to far away from Eberron with so much more of the world to explore with the game

IP Logged

Combat Wombat
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #123 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 9:21am:
the other 2 go to ddo.com but not

ddomotu.com

the real link

ddo-motu.com