Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Level Cap raised to 25 AND Druids! (Read 20850 times)
Merrick
DQ Assaulter

Re: Level Cap raised to 25 AND Druids!
Reply #50 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Quote:
or the xp given in higher level quests needs some serious boosting

That right there would solve so much and it really wouldn't hurt anyone or anything that I can think of. Just double or triple the xp in the 18+ or 19+ quests.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #51 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Quote:
Atari still owns those unfortunately

Oh Snap.

Well, Curse of the Azure Bonds is an actual Pen and Paper adventure. Maybe they could use that.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Jaxx
Fleet Admiral

Reply #52 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:09am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:01am:
It would be neat if they could recreate some of the Gold Box adventures in the FR setting.

If they do release another boxed set, they need to make sure to put the same quote they used on the original release.

"Undertake Exciting D&D Quests that FOCUS ON ADVENTURE, NOT THE GRIND.

Last part of the quote is hilighted for the POS devs at Turbine that have let the current incarnation of the game fall into a grindy fuck fest.

IP Logged

Diogenes
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:14am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:04am:
Well, Curse of the Azure Bonds is an actual Pen and Paper adventure. Maybe they could use that.

Not FR specific but I'd like to see (that we won't)

Keep on the Borderlands (yes, could zerg this easily, but good nostalgia value)
Temple of Elemental Evil
Ravenloft (just the adventure, not the demiplane)
Against the Giants
Tomb of Horrors series
Castle Greyhawk

IP Logged

arkohighstar
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Quote:
Not FR specific but I'd like to see (that we won't)

Keep on the Borderlands (yes, could zerg this easily, but good nostalgia value)
Temple of Elemental Evil
Ravenloft (just the adventure, not the demiplane)
Against the Giants
Tomb of Horrors series
Castle Greyhawk

based on the interviews, WOTC has been wokring closely on storylines to tie into the release of 5th edition which is starting limited external play testing now.WOTC has stated they want this to be a very long feedback process.

So I imagine we could see some tie into new modules they are prepping for 5th edition.

IP Logged

Bahgoon
Stormreaver Piker

Get off my lawn!

Reply #55 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:30am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:01am:
It would be neat if they could recreate some of the Gold Box adventures in the FR setting.

I was just looking through http://www.myabandonware.com/ yesterday and I think I saw all the gold box titles there. At least all of the ones I played. There may be silver box titles missing.

Smiley

Edited:
Forgot my point. Atari may no longer have license to those. But I don't really know how IP licensing like that works.
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:32am by Bahgoon »  

The various modes of worship which prevailed in the Roman world were all considered by the people as equally true; by the philosopher as equally false; and by the magistrate as equally useful.   - Edward Gibbon

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:47am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 10:43am:
Then they would have let the cat out of the bag.

Well I'm lost then. What does the expansion have to do with the bag bug?

IP Logged

junkyarddog
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #57 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 10:43am:
Then they would have let the cat out of the bag.

my guess is that the current epic item system is going to be done away with and that these scrolls/shards/seals will be useless at that point.  Some of these items are difficult to acquire and doing away with them with no chance to recover time spent would piss a few people off. With the bug we at least have time to "easily" acquire some of the missing pieces.

They will probably go towards the challenge type epics and maybe a new system (like reavers seals) for the current items
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:22pm by junkyarddog »  

Badlass, Dysfunctiona TFC: Badlazz, Slyfoxx, Gezer Banned from all guilds..
Ohwell, Supdoc, noname, badlassie, others OMGBIZZY

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Reply #58 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 10:53am:
If you think a level cap raise is a blunt instrument, I'd love to hear your proposal that provides meaningful, quantifiable character advancement that includes a corresponding scheme to rate high level content to identify which content is appropriate for which capped characters, and allows future advancement using the same scheme.  Because, as I'm sure you know, a fresh-off-the-boat 20th level character is a wee bit different than a multi-TR 20th level character draped with epic items.

I'll be waiting, but I won't hold my breath.   Roll Eyes

Well, there is a slight difference between the wording of "We raise the cap to 25", and "There is a character advancement scheme after level 20.", for instance Epic APs.

The latter would allow to have a differentiation of level 20 characters, whereas the former will have the feeling of being uncapped for lvl 20-24 characters. I agree that this is a very subtle difference, and would have almost no effects on the actual realization, but a written down level cap just feels differently.

Also, I am afraid that MLs of items are raised beyond 20, which makes little sense if the items were equippable before the level cap raise.

Edited:
And to address the issue to get a scale for the content offered. There is already such a scheme for the Challenges. It obviously does not require a raise of the level cap to quantify the difficulty of a challenge.

And while I agree on your statement that a multi-TR lvl 20 caster offers a totally different power level than a freshly capped one, I don't see how this issue is related to a raise of the level cap.

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:10pm by aDifferentHandle »  

That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #59 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Yeah it's gonna suck when my +5 HBsGLOB and +5 HBaGCB khopeshes go up over ML 20 Sad

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #60 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:10pm:
Yeah it's gonna suck when my +5 HBsGLOB and +5 HBaGCB khopeshes go up over ML 20 http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Smoak.png

They really need to grandfather existing items.

The Holy Bursts, etc...all you need to do is get a new blank and a bunch of essences, lds, whatever.

Imagine people that slot something like a Lucid Dreams or some other high level craftable item.  Lucid is ML:19 with a +5 potential.  Is you've crafted the full +5 (major kinetic lore) do you now have a ML:25 item?  On something that before the update was released you were using on your toon?  And the only way to get it back is to refarm it?  That's...not right.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #61 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:19pm:
They really need to grandfather existing items.

The Holy Bursts, etc...all you need to do is get a new blank and a bunch of essences, lds, whatever.

Imagine people that slot something like a Lucid Dreams or some other high level craftable item.  Lucid is ML:19 with a +5 potential.  Is you've crafted the full +5 (major kinetic lore) do you now have a ML:25 item?  On something that before the update was released you were using on your toon?  And the only way to get it back is to refarm it?  That's...not right.

It would suck, but I wouldn't be surprised. I think it was Eladrin who said that anything that was crafted over the current cap would stop at the cap until it got raised.

IP Logged

Diogenes
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:27pm:
I think it was Eladrin who said that anything that was crafted over the current cap would stop at the cap until it got raised.

I remember that, too.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #63 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
aDifferentHandle wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:06pm:
Well, there is a slight difference between the wording of "We raise the cap to 25", and "There is a character advancement scheme after level 20.", for instance Epic APs.

The latter would allow to have a differentiation of level 20 characters, whereas the former will have the feeling of being uncapped for lvl 20-24 characters. I agree that this is a very subtle difference, and would have almost no effects on the actual realization, but a written down level cap just feels differently.

Also, I am afraid that MLs of items are raised beyond 20, which makes little sense if the items were equippable before the level cap raise.

Edited:
And to address the issue to get a scale for the content offered. There is already such a scheme for the Challenges. It obviously does not require a raise of the level cap to quantify the difficulty of a challenge.

And while I agree on your statement that a multi-TR lvl 20 caster offers a totally different power level than a freshly capped one, I don't see how this issue is related to a raise of the level cap.

So your solution is that instead of allowing characters to advance their level, you would allow them to advance in level but call it something different.  And then you would put in some sort of arbitrary correlation between quest "level" and the new "not-levels".  Of course you haven't said anything about rating gear for the new "not-levels", so maybe you also planned on some sort of arbitrary correlation there, unless you didn't, in which case you're back in the same boat of having no quantifiable way of correlating character power to content challenge.

I guess I just don't see the elegance.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Reply #64 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:31pm:
So your solution is that instead of allowing characters to advance their level, you would allow them to advance in level but call it something different.  And then you would put in some sort of arbitrary correlation between quest "level" and the new "not-levels".  Of course you haven't said anything about rating gear for the new "not-levels", so maybe you also planned on some sort of arbitrary correlation there, unless you didn't, in which case you're back in the same boat of having no quantifiable way of correlating character power to content challenge.

I guess I just don't see the elegance.

Arguing about how they could have done it is somewhat moot, because it won't change a thing.

But to adress your question:
No correlation between quest level and "not-level".

Doing Epic quests will grant you Epic XP. There are Epic Ranks, but no levels beyond 20. If you are capped and you do an Epic quest, you get epic xp, where the amount is regardless of the actual epic rank you have. So a lvl 20.1 char has access to the same content as a lvl 24.9 (if you wanted to translate it back to actual levels).
There is no power-leveling penalty for running a lvl 20 character with a lvl 25 one, and there are no access restrictions to enter Epic Quests besides having level 20.

Any level 20 character (with Epic ranks or not) will not inflict a power leveling penalty, or nullify bravery and streak bonuses, or inflict an xp penalty for quests which are of the appropriate level now for getting these bonuses with a lvl 20 character in it.

The ML cap is 20. There are no items with a higher ML than 20.

This way, the introduction of epic levels will be an option to pursue when you are capped, but it won't feel as required as it would be the case if the number which appears in LFMs is not the maximal number ('bah, that toon is not done yet'), or if there were items which are inaccessible due to ML: 25.

I see that a level cap increase seems to be elegant at first glance, but I don't like the feeling of this too much, because of the issues I addressed above.
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:52pm by aDifferentHandle »  

That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #65 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
That would mean any craftable items...don't craft on them for the next good bit.

Also, max potential for a level 20 toon would be 11 (with the cannith favor to lower min level actually pushing it to 12 but only 11 of it being usable.  What would our best crafted bane be that fits to the current ML?

Greater Bane adds +4 enhancement and 3d6 (10.5 avg) damage per hit.  The to-hit bonus and crits multiplying I'll ignore for now since even without them greater bane is in the lead.  Total damage added is 14.5 for a cost of 4 potential.  3.6 damage per potential

Holy adds 2d6 (7 avg) damage per hit at a cost of 2 potential.  3.5 damage per potential.

The Burst part of Holy Burst is harder to quantify in general...it depends on the weapon.  It adds 3d6 to x2 items (10.5 on crits), 4d6 to x3 items (14 on crits), and 5d6 to x4 items (17.5 on crits).  Scimitars/rapiers would be the extreme case and add 10.5 on crits 30% of the time for 3.15 damage or 1.58 per potential.  Something like a heavy repeater would add 10.5 on crits 20% of the time for 2.1 damage or 1.05 per potential.  Khopeshes fall in the middle at 14 on crits 20% of the time for 2.8 damage or 1.4 damage per potential.

Enhancement bonus gives us to-hit (which may or may not be needed) as well as 1 damage on non-crits and then extra damage on crits depending on the weapon type.  Scimitars would be 1.3 total, khopeshes 1.4 total, heavy repeaters 1.2 total, each of those per potential.

So basically scimitars and rapiers would be slightly better doing +2 (w/o cannith favor) or +3 holy burst of greater bane.  Holy burst gives 1.58 damage per potential, enhancement gives 1.3 (assuming you don't need the to-hit).  Everything else would be better with +4 (w/o cannith favor) or +5 holy of greater bane.  You give up 2 or 3 damage per hit but future-proof the weapon.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #66 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
"Expansion" sound suspiciously like "retail" to me.

Same for me, which sounds like 30€ ... got to check the Lotro one from last year.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Reply #67 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 1:20pm:
Same for me, which sounds like 30€ ... got to check the Lotro one from last year.

There was a post on the other forums how they did it for Isengard, but I can't find it.

Based on this info: http://isengard.lotro.com/purchase.php

$ 50 edition offers Expansion pack and two additional quest packs (each of them costing around 1000TP), as well as cosmetic shinies, and 1k TP.

$ 40 edition offers pack, shinies, and 1k TP, but not these packs.

$ 30 edition offers pack and minor shinies.

Iirc, the TP cost of the pack in the store was something like 3.5k. But if someone can dig up the corresponding post, the actual numbers would be better.

For us eurofags: They will probably convert 1 €  = 1 $, which might or might not be a good deal considering the current financical situation.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #68 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Article on ZAM seems to have more info. Still not clear on whether druids are U13 or later.

Quote:
The next content update is for players around level 16. As said, it will be available to all players as an introduction to the brand new storyline for the expansion. “The update 13 storyline will introduce a new major villain, and a major faction. It will introduce Lolth, the Spider Queen. She’s a demi-god in the world of Eberron, she’s a deity in the Forgotten Realms setting. She’s been quite famous in the D&D canon for some time,” Frnando informed us. “The players will get the first taste of the storyline of Lolth and her followers with update 13.” The storyline progression won’t be the only feature of update 13; Frnando was quick to speak about the new creature companions to be introduced to the game. “They are cosmetic pets, who will follow you around the game. Initially there will only be a few of these released, but you’ll be able to earn some of these in the game or buy them in the store, and to customize them a little bit. They don’t impact gameplay; they’re deliberately something just for players to have fun with and show off to each other.” Over time, players will accumulate them in their stables and will be able to summon them at will; and they’ll be able to perform tricks and there will be gear to put on the pets as well.

Lolth, for those who are not long-time D&D players, sets the stage for this summer’s expansion. “Set up by update 13, we’re going to be facing our first ever premium expansion, ‘Menace of the Underdark.’ Six years into the game it will be our first expansion; both our regular players and VIPs will have to purchase it,” Frnando told us. “There’re a lot of big announcements that come with this expansion. First, the Underdark. For those who know our lore, this is not a place in Eberron. For the first time, we are leaving the Eberron campaign setting and going to the Forgotten Realms campaign settings. We love Eberron, we had fun with Eberron… but next year, we get to go where the fans have been asking us to go since we announced the game, which is the Forgotten Realms, which is where a lot of the really iconic locations and stories have taken place.”

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Flint
Stormreaver Piker

I'm a Halfling on the
EDGE!

Reply #69 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Druids are part of the expansion. They will not be part of U13.

IP Logged

Kracky
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #70 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
They make an announcement like this and still people are having a good ole fashion moan. Its excellent. I almost felt sorry for them until someone mentioned Reset.

Bastards

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #71 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
My prediction:  cosmetic pets will have gear slots to decorate the pets.  The pets will have no effect on game play and the gear slots are for cosmetic purposes only.

And then some time before the start of 2013, you will be able to buy cosmetic gear that does have in-game effects (similar to the bunny hat).

fnord

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #72 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 2:25pm:
My prediction:  cosmetic pets will have gear slots to decorate the pets.  The pets will have no effect on game play and the gear slots are for cosmetic purposes only.

And then some time before the start of 2013, you will be able to buy cosmetic gear that does have in-game effects (similar to the bunny hat).

My prediction:  Cosmetic pets will double the server lag and path like retarded rats on LSD.
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2012 at 2:36pm by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #73 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
I saw the posts about buying the expansions, will V.I.P get any of this stuff without paying?

Can't help thinking as well that with an Underdark expansion filled with Drow, Instakill or any spells that have to pass a SR check are going to suffer quite badly.

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #74 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Calvet wrote on Jan 19th, 2012 at 3:32pm:
I saw the posts about buying the expansions, will V.I.P get any of this stuff without paying?

U13 free?  Yes.

Expansion free to VIP?  No.

fnord

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint