Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) P.L.I.S. (Read 14214 times)
Xenostrata
Ex Member

Re: P.L.I.S.
Reply #25 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Elegorne wrote on Jan 21st, 2012 at 7:27pm:
It's "Binds to Account on equip" as it sits right now; I believe it binds to character on upgrade (may be wrong on that one)

Excellent. So, finding an ioun stone on a normally BTA list doesn't leave the stone bound.

OTOH, if it worked that way, I'm guessing there'd be a fair chance that it would stay BTA when it was upgraded. Which would be awesome.

IP Logged

Merrick
DQ Assaulter

Reply #26 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Any item found on certain end reward lists (waterworks, Sharn Syndicate, Tangleroot, etc.) are ALWAYS BTA. I hadn't even thought about that. There MIGHT be an exception for the PLIS, but I think the OP should go check.

I *think* there might be an exception because while almost all end rewards say "Bound to Account", this one specifically has different text on it:

http://ddowiki.com/images/Pale_Lavender_Ioun_Stone.jpg

Of course we *are* talking about the devs who will let someone pick impossible class combinations while multi-classing during a reincarnation such that a player ends up stuck on the airship "permanently" so all bets are off.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2012 at 8:48pm by Merrick »  

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Weird named items can show up on the Sharn end rewards without being bound at all, like Runic Trinket.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #28 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Yeah, there's no bound Ioun stones. Even the ones out of chain end rewards are unbound. Named items don't work like random loot.

IP Logged

Deathdefy
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
They also absorb the anti-magic beholder eye charge for the cost of 1 spell level; though the other eye beams also take off charges if they hit you.   

And it doesn't block the enervation beam, but combined with deathward, which now won't get anti-magic-ed off, it  renders you pretty invulnerable to them provided you only equip it when you're about to fight one and take it off afterward. 

The only quest where it may not last is Invaders!, but pfft.  That's a one-off.

I'd really recommend keeping it; unless you're getting something insane like a full set of reds or enough large shroud ingredients for a dual shard tier 3 weapon and dual shard tier 3 accessory since you're pretty casual.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2012 at 10:43pm by Deathdefy »  

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Weird named items can show up on the Sharn end rewards without being bound at all, like Runic Trinket.

One day, someone insanely bored will put a Mysterious Ring, a Runic Trinket, and a Green Ioun Stone into the Stone of change and end up getting an epic Ring of Spell Storin with unlimited charges.

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Deathdefy wrote on Jan 21st, 2012 at 10:42pm:
They also absorb the anti-magic beholder eye charge for the cost of 1 spell level; though the other eye beams also take off charges if they hit you.   

And it doesn't block the enervation beam, but combined with deathward, which now won't get anti-magic-ed off, it  renders you pretty invulnerable to them provided you only equip it when you're about to fight one and take it off afterward. 

The only quest where it may not last is Invaders!, but pfft.  That's a one-off.

I'd really recommend keeping it; unless you're getting something insane like a full set of reds or enough large shroud ingredients for a dual shard tier 3 weapon and dual shard tier 3 accessory since you're pretty casual.

In my experience, the PLIS keeps your buffs from getting dispelled but doesn't let you cast anything.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2012 at 10:46pm by »  

IP Logged

Deathdefy
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:
In my experience, the PLIS keeps your buffs from getting dispelled but doesn't let you cast anything.

Ahh yep could well be the case.  I don't have one on a caster.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2012 at 10:59pm by Deathdefy »  

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #33 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Yep. Same as the Mantle, blocks anti magic from dispelling but you still cannot cast.

Honestly, I have one on my Monk/Pally and only use it for beholders. Considering how often spells are thrown about, it drains really fast. It's fun to put on to stay in Velah's fire breath though. Using it to stop curses wont work well against Sulu for example, as it blocks his chain lightning before you roll a save...

Am I missing anything? Other than kiting Quori in LoB?

Proud Leader & official Gimp of Crimson Eagles on Khyber
Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor WF FvS 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 18 - Splatsplat 18/2 DoSIII

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Felgor wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 5:55pm:
Yep. Same as the Mantle, blocks anti magic from dispelling but you still cannot cast.

Honestly, I have one on my Monk/Pally and only use it for beholders. Considering how often spells are thrown about, it drains really fast. It's fun to put on to stay in Velah's fire breath though. Using it to stop curses wont work well against Sulu for example, as it blocks his chain lightning before you roll a save...

Really? Even if you have evasion?

Is that WAI?

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Reply #35 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
If you're trying to avoid it it's already hit you.

Spell absorption stops it from hitting you.

I'd say yes.

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 6:30pm:
If you're trying to avoid it it's already hit you.

Spell absorption stops it from hitting you.

I'd say yes.

This makes no sense. The whole point of evasion is that it DOESN'T hit you, it misses.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
This makes no sense. The whole point of evasion is that it DOESN'T hit you, it misses.

It's a magic rock that gives you an anti-magical albedo, if you will.  Before you can twist out of the way, the rock has already sucked it up.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Felgor wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 5:55pm:

Useful for a divine in part 3 tod, for quori in LoB... and that's about it. Guess it could work in new invasion too if you just want to stand in the traps (assuming the air ele doesnt drain it first Cheesy)

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #39 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Yea it is over rated badly. If I pull one, I will sell it for an obnoxious price.

Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor WF FvS 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 18 - Splatsplat 18/2 DoSIII

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Felgor wrote on Jan 23rd, 2012 at 6:51pm:
Yea it is over rated badly. If I pull one, I will sell it for an obnoxious price.

I dunno. At low levels, it means pretty much total immunity to kobold shamans and the like. At higher levels, it makes certain raids much easier/cheaper.

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #41 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I dunno. At low levels, it means pretty much total immunity to kobold shamans and the like. At higher levels, it makes certain raids much easier/cheaper.

Fair call on the Shamans...but does a multi TR need that? They should be perfectly capable of completing WW Elite without an upgraded PLIS Smiley

I have not kited LoB with it though.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't waste it on a melee or anything that has to stand near mobs that do aoe spells (gets drained too quick), but on a divine its pretty sweet for certain situations - esp in a pug environment where light monk is a MUST!! for any tod run, saves you bunch of time once you convince people you can do it without a monk (gasp!) but you're too lazy to farm out Threnal lol.

As for low level quests... lol? Leveled two TR2 melee fleshies to 20 recently, and one of those didn't ever wear fom boots since I jumbled up my gear layout and couldn't swap out boots (can't really remember why lol), in that 8.6 mil or whatever XP I got held maybe 4-5 times, died because of it once I think. Even running everything on elite, ship resists make cake out of basically all low level quests.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2012 at 9:43pm by sweez »  

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Felgor wrote on Jan 23rd, 2012 at 9:32pm:
Fair call on the Shamans...but does a multi TR need that? They should be perfectly capable of completing WW Elite without an upgraded PLIS Smiley

I have not kited LoB with it though.

Even as a TR, a bad roll on a Hold Person spell or a Lightning Bolt rebound when you don't have ship buffs can spell instant death for a character.

Edit: I would also comment that this is advice meant for a self-stated casual player and coming from a casual/serious player.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2012 at 6:40am by »  

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #44 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Quote:
Even as a TR, a bad roll on a Hold Person spell or a Lightning Bolt rebound when you don't have ship buffs can spell instant death for a character.

Edit: I would also comment that this is advice meant for a self-stated casual player and coming from a casual/serious player.

It is silly advice. The biggest hurdle for casual players is getting multiple green steel. Green steel is put on at lvl 12-14 depending and stays on often after cap it will be the most cost effective gear to use on any TR. Lvls 1-15 are easy they go by the fastest, 16-20 are the grind trade it for lds, and plat

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #45 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 4:27am
Print Post  
Someone posted earlier that it's the icing on the cake item and I kind of agree with that.

If you're already geared to the gills, it's a nice addition to have an easy button swap in for certain situations.

If you're still rummaging around for GS mats and epic scrolls to finish items you "Need" for your endgame build, sell it for mucha dinero and get more important things.

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Calvet wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 4:27am:
mucha dinero

Welsh is so sexy!

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Reply #47 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:

But it does try to hit you, meaning it wasn't stopped before that. The spell absorption tries to stop it before that.

In before Sad bitches that I'm copying him even though I clearly said this first.

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 3:46pm:
But it does try to hit you, meaning it wasn't stopped before that. The spell absorption tries to stop it before that.

In before Smoak.png bitches that I'm copying him even though I clearly said this first.

I can understand being obsessed with me, because I'm clearly awesome, but you should really let it go. 
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2012 at 3:48pm by Oakianus »  

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 3:46pm:

In before http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Smoak.png bitches that I'm copying him even though I clearly said this first.

Quote:
If you're trying to avoid it it's already hitting you

Your words.

If you're trying to avoid it, it hasn't hit you yet. If the stone only blocks spells that hit you, then if you successfully avoid it you shouldn't need to use the stone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint