Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) SWTOR - a month in... Thoughts? (Read 2767 times)
Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

SWTOR - a month in... Thoughts?
Jan 24th, 2012 at 3:45am
Print Post  
So, SWTOR has been around for a month now - what do those who are playing it think about it?

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Re: SWTOR - a month in... Thoughts?
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 4:30am
Print Post  

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote:
Rev. Jim.
He is the only guy here that posts quality, you should all learn from him.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 4:47am
Print Post  
Holy shit, I'd heard it was hokey and the combat system was a lot like WoW, but that's pretty fucking ridiculous.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 4:51am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Jan 24th, 2012 at 4:47am:
Holy shit, I'd heard it was hokey and the combat system was a lot like WoW, but that's pretty fucking ridiculous.

They also just did an entire update based on pvp.

And people wonder why I won't get it.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 5:16am
Print Post  
Quote:

Actually, they didn't.  All that update did was change a few things about pvp.  I will sum them up here:

1.  Levels 1-49 cannot join in level 50 pvp.  OBV because they get rofflestomped, which killed some of the fun for me, but I still rofflestomp others so it is okay.

2.  Battlemaster item tokens were changed.  Now you wont get your 3rd battlemaster set of leggings in a row.  You can choose which piece you want provided you ahve enough tokens.  THANK YOU!  Finally.  Sick of getting the same 3 pieces.

Anyways, that sums up the pvp changes.  Now, for PVE it added two new flashpoints, some new raid thing, and a shit load of gear - none of which is pvp based.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 5:19am
Print Post  
Very annoying... I keep trying to move around the mob and using mouse look...

And when I come back to DDO, for the first few minutes I try to rotate with the arrow while in mouse look... which leads to ultra fast rotations.

Not sure how long I'll hang out on SWTOR ( well it keeps me busy while the number of guildies is down in DDO )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 5:20am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Jan 24th, 2012 at 4:47am:

In all games like this it is the same.  WoW used a lot of EQ stuff when it was first released as well.  Revs post is pointless.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I find the WoW-encrusted combat to be aggressively Meh. But, I am really enjoying just about every other facet of the game. 

It's going to have my sub-money for quite a while at least.
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2012 at 4:55pm by Memnir »  

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 6:31am
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 4:55pm:
Yeah, I find the WoW-encrusted combat to be aggressively Meh. But, I am really enjoying just about every other facet of the game. 

On my second toon I am finding out just how hard it is to get battlemaster without the exploit in Ilum.  SUCH A GRIND.  Rakata gear is easier.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Quote:

As Epoch already said...false.  Besides, Warzone PvP is a blast.  It's fast and frenetic and you can play at any level because it balances everyone to the highest level player in the Warzone.  It's a lot of fun and a nice break from PVE.  On top of that you can queue up and join from anywhere.

Epoch wrote on Jan 24th, 2012 at 5:20am:
In all games like this it is the same.  WoW used a lot of EQ stuff when it was first released as well.  Revs post is pointless.

Exactly, these posts are retarded.  How many ways are there to swing a sword/lightsaber?  OMG, both games have a slash and a sweep. You could make this chart with any two MMOs  ever built.  For that matter some of that shit was stolen right out of the 1.0 Players Handbook.

Memnir wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 4:55pm:

The more I play my Juggy the more I enjoy the combat system.  I feel more the way you do when I'm on my Smuggler.  I agree we will be subscribers for a while.  The game is deep and it's hella fun.  It isn't perfect and there are issues but it's very enjoyably and Bioware is a aggressively patching and supporting it. 

There are some really great concepts I can't wait to see fully flushed out like Legacy XP.  There is a lot of room to grow and add and I can't wait to see where this game goes in the next year.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:41am by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:39am:
I feel more the way you do when I'm on my Smuggler.

I really am not a fan of the Smuggler/Agent gameplay. The constant need for "cover" is just annoying to me - and I've given up on them for the time being. Which is a shame, since I like Smuggler best of the Republic side, and the Agent has a very cool story. I am rather enjoying my Sith Sorcerer, though. And since healers are always in demand, it seems, I am having no problems with grouping when I want to.

One of the things I'm enjoying most is the crafting. It makes sense - and isn't the huge downer DDO crafting was for me. Dunno why - but this feels right to me.

So far so good. TOR is a much better game then I'd given it credit for - and I cannot say how glad I am I gave it a shot.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:00am by Memnir »  

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:00am:
I really am not a fan of the Smuggler/Agent gameplay. The constant need for "cover" is just annoying to me - and I've given up on them for the time being. Which is a shame, since I like Smuggler best of the Republic side, and the Agent has a very cool story. I am rather enjoying my Sith Sorcerer, though. And since healers are always in demand, it seems, I am having no problems with grouping when I want to.

One of the things I'm enjoying most is the crafting. It makes sense - and isn't the huge downer DDO crafting was for me. Dunno why - but this feels right to me.

So far so good. TOR is a much better game then I'd given it credit for - and I cannot say how glad I am I gave it a shot.

Sisster plays a Sith Sorcerer and it is a wicked cool class.  As a Tank/Sorc combo we can house almost any content as a duo.  Very powerful and dynamic.  If they implement dual spec, like they are talking about that is one of the classes that will greatly benefit.

I actually play my Smuggler using the Dirty Tricks line to skip the whole cover thing.  I fight in up close and personal.  It's works pretty well.  I just am not as fluid with him since he is my solo tune for when Sis is in bed.

I agree on the crafting.  It's awesome and profitable.

There is so much content we have been skipping chunks on some planets with the plan that on the next set of characters we will hit that rather than this.  It's crazy how many ways you can level; PvE, PvP, Warzone, Flashpoint, Space Combat.  Each time you can do a little something different.

I agree it is a nice piece of work not just because I love the SW universe and the whole not futuristic MMO setting but because Bioware put a lot of thought and time into building a complete game.  It has it flaws and you can see where they need to finish some things that just didn't quite make release but it's a great foundation to build on.  It's way more polished than many of the MMO's I jumped on at release.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:28am by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Anslet
Waterworks Kobold

I'm not conceited, I'm
convinced.

Reply #12 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Meh, after the changes to the Ilum daily/weekly I'm done with it.  Having a capped character on both sides I've seen how shitty it really is.  You sit there and either hide in your base or wait outside the base looking for kills.  You need 30/day-150/week.  Sometimes you don't get credit for the kills regardless if you're in a an ops or not or did damage or not or was in proximity or not.  Camping for 2 hours on either side for a daily is fucking beat.

WZ's are ok (can't get much variety from 3 of them).  The pvp aspect of the game was less than desired overall.

I have a better chance of bottling my farts as a fragrance than BW fixing that stupid shit.

So, if I'm to play a game with shit pvp, may as well stick to the one that does't cost any money lol.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #13 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Anslet wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 3:11pm:
Meh, after the changes to the Ilum daily/weekly I'm done with it.  Having a capped character on both sides I've seen how shitty it really is.  You sit there and either hide in your base or wait outside the base looking for kills.  You need 30/day-150/week.  Sometimes you don't get credit for the kills regardless if you're in a an ops or not or did damage or not or was in proximity or not.  Camping for 2 hours on either side for a daily is fucking beat.

WZ's are ok (can't get much variety from 3 of them).  The pvp aspect of the game was less than desired overall.

I have a better chance of bottling my farts as a fragrance than BW fixing that stupid shit.

So, if I'm to play a game with shit pvp, may as well stick to the one that does't cost any money lol.

You are doing the ilum PVP wrong.  First thing you do is emote (has a farther range then say and everyone sees it), "anyone wanna trade kills? lets get some ops grp formed".  Then form an ops grp.  The other side will as well.  Then you meet at center or south or wherever, and take turns killing each other in a big pile till everyone is finished.  BAM!  Ilum weekly done in less then an hour.  Take that bioware, take it right up your ass.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 5:43am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:39am:
As Epoch already said...false.  Besides, Warzone PvP is a blast.  It's fast and frenetic and you can play at any level because it balances everyone to the highest level player in the Warzone.  It's a lot of fun and a nice break from PVE.  On top of that you can queue up and join from anywhere.

Other than the level matching, that sounds exactly like Rift.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #15 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 6:34am
Print Post  
Quote:
Other than the level matching, that sounds exactly like Rift.

Rift is shit, why you gotta bring it up?

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #16 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 10:58am
Print Post  
After seeing the screenshots, I can't help but think that Bioware bought the Warcraft engine lol.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #17 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
I quit before the sub renewed. Long list of things I disliked about it but long and short of it was I didn't like it. Mainly the combat system and slow run speed if I had to pick the things that most prompted it.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2012 at 3:24pm by kum-gulp »  

IP Logged

Anslet
Waterworks Kobold

I'm not conceited, I'm
convinced.

Reply #18 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Jan 28th, 2012 at 4:10am:
You are doing the ilum PVP wrong.  First thing you do is emote (has a farther range then say and everyone sees it), "anyone wanna trade kills? lets get some ops grp formed".  Then form an ops grp.  The other side will as well.  Then you meet at center or south or wherever, and take turns killing each other in a big pile till everyone is finished.  BAM!  Ilum weekly done in less then an hour.  Take that bioware, take it right up your ass.

Unfortunately you only get credit from the same character a couple of times.  I'm not sure what the time limit is on that but at this point it isn't even worth logging from one side to the other to find out.

Fortunately though people are pretty gullible.  I've been putting in gen chat "ZOMG 50 rep/imps running around at the south end".  Next thing you know the center is clear and I can collect my armaments for the day/week in peace.

Sooner or later someone will figure it out Grin

Edit: Also kind of tough to do the 'battles' you suggest when I log on one character to see Ilum with 4 people and 60+ on the other.  This is a general occurance and because there basically is no lfm and the travel thing really sucks (go to boarding area/get on ship/change location/get off ship/go to planet from orbit/etc).  Even if there was a lfm that was universally viewable the travel aspect would kill it.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2012 at 5:42pm by Anslet »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #19 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
uhh.. the time limit is non existent if you kill others.  It is only the case if they are t he only one you kill.  If the groups are big enough, you can farm 1k reknown a minute, with relative ease.  In full ops you can farm closer to 3k a min.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2012 at 10:20pm by Epoch »  

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Gornn
Horoluth Raider

Cracker Fiend

Reply #20 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Epoch, it's a three minute timer on people you kill. It's got nothing to do with killing someone else in the interim.

When you fight people cheating with the /stuck bug you'll see what I mean.

I prefer Ilum PVP now. There are actually FIGHTS. none of the trading base shit there used to be.

This is a throw down...a show down...

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #21 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Gornn wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:37pm:
Epoch, it's a three minute timer on people you kill. It's got nothing to do with killing someone else in the interim.

When you fight people cheating with the /stuck bug you'll see what I mean.

I prefer Ilum PVP now. There are actually FIGHTS. none of the trading base shit there used to be.

Can't be a 3 min timer, I and 2 guildies fought 4 pathetic repubs that were using the /stuck bug and our kills counted each and every time - this was 2 nights ago.  We got up to 15 before they figured using an exploit wasn't going to get anywhere against us.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #22 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 1:38am
Print Post  
Also, what a lot of people like to do, is gather up in ops group, and take turns killing each others group.  We do that rather often.  Get your weeklys done in about 30 mins to an hour depending on how many repubs show up.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #23 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 1:56am
Print Post  
I went searching through the bioware forums - all they ever said is that system discourages vendettas.  Which, from that one can assume, as long as you kill others it doesn't matter.  It is only when you kill the same person consecutively that you get the timer.

Anyways, check the games forums, people are still crying about how wrong it is we trade kills.  Just sounds like a bunch people unwillling to accept that, hey - we just want want get our kills so we can get our battlemaster bags.  Since it is the only way to get the gear.  No one cares about Ilum pvp, the system equates to shit.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #24 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 8:29am
Print Post  
I found a couple repubs and tested the timer.  There was only two of them on ilum and they couldnt get others to come.  Against two I got the timer on them both.  I don't get them in large groups though. 

Either way, op groups work for trading kills.  They work well and I have as of yet to see a timer for it.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint