Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) SWTOR - a month in... Thoughts? (Read 2723 times)
rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Re: SWTOR - a month in... Thoughts?
Reply #25 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 11:31pm
Print Post  

Quote:
Rev. Jim.
He is the only guy here that posts quality, you should all learn from him.

IP Logged

ITBLITLLA
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 1:04am
Print Post  
rev Jim wrote on Jan 31st, 2012 at 11:31pm:

Not particularly. I lost interest about a third of the way through, and flat out quit reading about halfway. The author makes fun of people on the I-hate-SWTOR end of the spectrum but begins ranting like a zealot from the other end at some point in there. At least that's how it seemed.

If someone is going to take the time writing an article in defense of video game, they ought to learn how to be at least a little bit objective.

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Reply #27 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Quote:
Not particularly. I lost interest about a third of the way through, and flat out quit reading about halfway. The author makes fun of people on the I-hate-SWTOR end of the spectrum but begins ranting like a zealot from the other end at some point in there. At least that's how it seemed.

If someone is going to take the time writing an article in defense of video game, they ought to learn how to be at least a little bit objective.

you did not read the comments

Quote:
Rev. Jim.
He is the only guy here that posts quality, you should all learn from him.

IP Logged

flynnjsw
Shroud Slacker

F U All!!!!!!

Reply #28 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
rev Jim wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 1:21am:

I loved the comments from the editors. "If you don't like it, shut up"

IP Logged

ITBLITLLA
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
rev Jim wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 1:21am:

Ah, I misunderstood you, then. I withdraw my previous comment.
Smiley

IP Logged

Gornn
Horoluth Raider

Cracker Fiend

Reply #30 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 11:36am
Print Post  
But...trading kills is just so...weak...when you can actually fight! hehe. I don't trade kills. Got to Battlemaster the old fashioned way.

I like it. We had a 36 on 36 brawl the other day. It was fucking boss.

This is a throw down...a show down...

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Reply #31 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Gornn wrote on Feb 2nd, 2012 at 11:36am:
But...trading kills is just so...weak...when you can actually fight! hehe. I don't trade kills. Got to Battlemaster the old fashioned way.

Silly Gornn! MMOs are for exploiting!

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Gornn
Horoluth Raider

Cracker Fiend

Reply #32 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
It's not exploiting per se...it's just...well...I'mnot a fan anyway, so I don't do it. But I can't control others. hehe

This is a throw down...a show down...

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #33 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 3:20am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Feb 2nd, 2012 at 12:17pm:
Silly Gornn! MMOs are for exploiting!

Lol, they devs have even said it isn't exploiting because of all the whiners on the swtor forums.  It was the ultimate kick in the dick for all those anti exploiters.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #34 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 3:21am
Print Post  
Gornn wrote on Feb 2nd, 2012 at 11:36am:

Meh, if such things happened when I was on I might like it.   Since it doesn't happen when I am on I will go the route of efficiency.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #35 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
so a friend of mine gave me a 30 day free pass - day 2 and it is exactly what I thought (only with better graphics, i iz suprizd) - wonky controls, fairly boring battles, interesting story, etc etc.  I am only level 8 though, so lots of game let to play to see if it gets any better.  I keep wanting to mash buttons (trip, smite, sunder, wait - dang it)

from Preamus: Quote:
at least i'm agnostic so while I "think" you're full of crap I don't "know" you're full of crap

Strakeln wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:37pm:
JakLee will be the bailiff.  He's got a stun gun and everything.

Have you seen my platypus?
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who need closure.

IP Logged

Mithran
Baghdad Bob

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Mar 13th, 2012 at 5:48am
Print Post  
I've been trying it out (new computer, so I'm really just looking at my new graphics card). It has all the frustration of WoW Combat, but the Classes, though prerolls, in essence, are pretty cool. Movement is a real drag until you get to level 14. They clearly took a lot of cues from WoW, but given WoW's success, I guess I'm not surprised. The ships are cool, though I only have one kind on two characters.

Which servers are you guys on?

The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

IP Logged

Sergod
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 5:36am
Print Post  
Mithran wrote on Mar 13th, 2012 at 5:48am:
I've been trying it out (new computer, so I'm really just looking at my new graphics card). It has all the frustration of WoW Combat, but the Classes, though prerolls, in essence, are pretty cool. Movement is a real drag until you get to level 14. They clearly took a lot of cues from WoW, but given WoW's success, I guess I'm not surprised. The ships are cool, though I only have one kind on two characters.

Hedaar Soongh

IP Logged

Bazinga
Stormreaver Piker

Suck it Bay! Bay!

Reply #38 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Reading this thread convinced me to not even try and forget this MMO completely.

It is very hard to get an objective view from some very obvious SW fan boys who are blinded by the genre and will tolerate a ton of crap just so they have their little imaginary world.

Thanks for clearling this up for me. I'll pass this on to RL friends so they don't waste their time.

majmalphunktion wrote on Apr 26th, 2014 at 11:06pm:
Wow, you love me. There has been two big lag fixes in the past week. No, those are not going out with a hotfix. They are more wide ranging and take more time to test.
Of course every time you get like this, I keep wondering where your MMO is so I can play it. Obviously you know excatly how to piece one of these together. I can't keep apologizing a gazillion times for the back end tech and things people did on this game before I was even an employee. So one last time, yes some of the stuff from the before times sucks. Sorry about that. Yes we know, stop building new systems. Yes we know, finish the ones out there. Yes we know you hate bards.

And screw you for bringing up the laid off folks. That sucks every time. I made sure all my people landed in other jobs real quick. None of my 'casualties' are unemployed, just sadly not employed by Turbine. Every business goes through this.Even Valve has layoffs. It sucks every time. If you haven't had to do it then you just don't know. Picking people and knowing you are about to turn their life upside down is terrible, every time.
Not giving a bleep. No, I stop listening when the bile starts. Not worth my sanity. You know my rule, treat me like a human and I'll do the same back. When the rage train starts...cya.
So here is my peace out of the vault for a while. Thanks for the list Ranger, that was actually clear and helpful.

IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #39 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Mithran wrote on Mar 13th, 2012 at 5:48am:

Drooga's Pleasure Barge - have multiple characters from 40 down, had to try each class to see which one's stick with me.  I am suprised I don't really care for the jedi much or the sith, except for my sith sorc who throws lightning like a boss.  My favorite class is teh bounty hunter powertech so far; and is my highest level character.

Taking a ddo break is fun, I should have done this years ago!

at least i'm agnostic so while I "think" you're full of crap I don't "know" you're full of crap

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #40 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
April 10 or so is when my sub expires.  I will not be renewing.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #41 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Apr 6th, 2012 at 6:14pm:
April 10 or so is when my sub expires.  I will not be renewing.

got to endgame?  I hear endgame is weak though the path TO endgame has been entertaining so far

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #42 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
JakLee wrote on Apr 6th, 2012 at 6:17pm:
got to endgame?  I hear endgame is weak though the path TO endgame has been entertaining so far

I was at endgame before Jan.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #43 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
none of my friends are at endgame, so the info I have was all hearsay - I don't forsee myself sticking with this game, but I am enjoying the go

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #44 - Apr 7th, 2012 at 2:11am
Print Post  

yeah, the ride to LVL 50 has been enjoyable for me so far.... though I'm not sure how this Solo Adventuring Massively multiplayer game will sort out at LVL 50 once you're done all the quests...

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #45 - Apr 7th, 2012 at 3:31am
Print Post  
Well, I will tell you.  You will get a full set of raid gear in at most, 4 weeks.  If you get into nightmare mode 16 mans - 2 maybe 3 weeks of casual running.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Sergod
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 6:14am
Print Post  
I'm still enjoying the game and am looking forward to 1.2. Testing Explosive Conflict on the PTR and seeing the changes really have me optimistic for the game and excited for progression raiding in 1.2. I think especially with the final class balancing in 1.3 and all the polish being put on the game it will be sticking around.

A lot of my enjoyment from the game does come from the group I game with not the abundance of content however and the game does need a larger endgame. EV and KP are mediocre raids but if Explosive Conflict is a reflection of the direction of future content then the outlook is good. Fortunately being an avid pvper fills my time so I don't mind the fact there is only PvE to do 5 hours a week.

IP Logged

Siver
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Sergod wrote on Apr 10th, 2012 at 6:14am:
I'm still enjoying the game and am looking forward to 1.2. Testing Explosive Conflict on the PTR and seeing the changes really have me optimistic for the game and excited for progression raiding in 1.2. I think especially with the final class balancing in 1.3 and all the polish being put on the game it will be sticking around.

A lot of my enjoyment from the game does come from the group I game with not the abundance of content however and the game does need a larger endgame. EV and KP are mediocre raids but if Explosive Conflict is a reflection of the direction of future content then the outlook is good. Fortunately being an avid pvper fills my time so I don't mind the fact there is only PvE to do 5 hours a week.

I laugh any time I hear people complaining about how little end game there is.

I mean, do you think they should be more like WoW (one raid at end game when it started)?

Or maybe DDO (one raid, which may have been added after the first update, or simply closed so often it may as well have been)?

How about Rift (quick check indicates that it currently has 3 raids, of which only one appears to have been available at start, though the second might have been available a month later)?

The only game that I can think of that had more than enough end game to stump people before the first expansion was Everquest. Then it wasn't because of the amount they had (two dragons that each could take EVERY boss in WoW, TOR, and DDO at the same time*) but the difficulty (eventually people won, not by being awesome, but by breaking the rules and throwing ARMIES of players at them).

Now, TOR has 3 raids at end game now, with another coming out in 1.2. Based on their pattern so far, I wouldn't be surprised if 1.3 has another one still, and 1.4 one with some more reasonable clothing/armor models. So, for now, I'm of the opinion that if you are leaving because of the end game, stop being a dumbass, and go someplace that's been established for at least 2 years. Otherwise, wait about 6 months (by figuring out and setting up your favorite classes. Personally, I'm working on having everything but the two wastes of class slots known as marauder and sniper (sentinel and gunslinger for the republic)), and then see what the end game is like.

*This is not necessarily meant to suggest that the dragons were that hard, but that most bosses now are just too easy.

As a side nice, I'm quoting your post, Sergod, as it is the last one in this chain discussing end game issues. I do understand you are of a similar opinion of wait and see as I am suggesting.

IP Logged

Diogenes
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Siver wrote on Apr 11th, 2012 at 2:21pm:
he only game that I can think of that had more than enough end game to stump people before the first expansion was Everquest. Then it wasn't because of the amount they had (two dragons that each could take EVERY boss in WoW, TOR, and DDO at the same time*) but the difficulty (eventually people won, not by being awesome, but by breaking the rules and throwing ARMIES of players at them).

DAoC had their "epic" dragon from the beginning, I think. Anything that requires around 100 players is ass, though.

The 3 faction large-scale PvP capture the flag approach could be said to be endless, I suppose, but it took them a while to have rewards for fighting other players.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #49 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Siver wrote on Apr 11th, 2012 at 2:21pm:
Or maybe DDO (one raid, which may have been added after the first update, or simply closed so often it may as well have been)?

VoN was added after release. It was MOD 1 I believe.  TS was included at release.

BTW, I'm also enjoying the hell out of TOR especially after switching servers.  I'm a bit disappointed Ranked PvP slipped from 1.2 but otherwise I'm psyched to get home and try 1.2.  We are hitting EC at 9 tonight should be fun.  Two majot content releases since December sets a good trend especially considering the in between updates usually are fairly hefty too.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint