Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Shortmaning Raids (Read 12562 times)
Azog
Ex Member

Shortmaning Raids
Jan 26th, 2012 at 8:54am
Print Post  
So, question:
What raids can be shortmaned easily (6 players, thats my static group)?
My static group is a bit n00bish (no, I know this quest, no traps he..*ding*..re), so I also ask for raids that would be easy to shortman.
We have already done Chrono in normal, 5xlvl 8 toons and a lvl 9 cleric (me), and was quite OK.

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Re: Shortmaning Raids
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:04am
Print Post  
All of them.  Smiley

IP Logged

Cabocleer
Korthos Resident

Um, yeah, whatever.

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Tempest Spine, Titan (not particularly easy if no one knows it, but no problem doing it with 6),  ADQ.

Hound. Shortman it might be hard to recover if anything went wrong,  but in a smooth run there's often 6 or less actually doing anything much.

Reaver's used to be on easily shortmanned, it's somewhat harder now, but nothing about it requires 12 in the party.

Making it weirder for some time now.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Cabocleer wrote on Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:05am:
Tempest Spine,

Three manned it, elite, at level with Mts and Chloe. Actually, I more ran behind them trying to get into the haste circle.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Thanks for the quick response.
Of course we expect to fail several times a given raid,  but after the Chrono surprise (first run, only one experienced player, and we completed with only a few deaths) I feel quite optimistic. Some of my static group do not like to group with strangers, and we were wondering how to do the raids.
How about VoN? It is actually the one we want to do next.

IP Logged

Infant
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response.
Of course we expect to fail several times a given raid,  but after the Chrono surprise (first run, only one experienced player, and we completed with only a few deaths) I feel quite optimistic. Some of my static group do not like to group with strangers, and we were wondering how to do the raids.
How about VoN? It is actually the one we want to do next.

Should be doable if you have two persons with >20 wis iirc. And two persons with >24 str. And a trapsmith/unlocker or arcane with knock to get the locked doors.

The Velah fight can be difficult, it strongly depends on your team's skills and gear.

Infant
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:41am by Infant »  

IP Logged

Kracky
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Yep pretty much all of them.

Only downside is if you have a decent static & full (ie Guild) group you will greatly increase your chance of getting the goodies assuming all in group work together to give items to those that really want them.

Which in my humble opinion is absolutely the best way to get ur items...

Ok their might be another way but i'm not going their..!!

IP Logged

Diogenes
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Cabocleer wrote on Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:05am:
Reaver's used to be on easily shortmanned, it's somewhat harder now, but nothing about it requires 12 in the party.

The static group I play with (using no AH, no twinking rules) couldn't manage reaver after the update that boosted it. At-level disintegrates really took their toll.

IP Logged

Diogenes
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Quote:
Some of my static group do not like to group with strangers, and we were wondering how to do the raids.

If there's an alliance channel of some kind y'all could join then maybe you could fill raids with only semi-strangers.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Infant wrote on Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:41am:
Should be doable if you have two persons with >20 wis iirc. And two persons with >24 str. And a trapsmith/unlocker or arcane with knock to get the locked doors.

The Velah fight can be difficult, it strongly depends on your team's skills and gear.

Infant

We are all RL friends, and some of us have several characters.
Usually we play with H-Cleric, Drow-Artificer, H-Wizard, Dwarf-Barb, Horc-Barb, H-fighter.
All of them very classic, no con dumps, so nothing special. Barbs have >24 Str and Cleric >24 wis.
The Barbarians, Cleric (me) & Artificer are quite good geared (bloodstone, festival Icy Burst, Brilliance & Beatitude clickies, small guild slots here and there, haste clickies, deathblocks, moderate fortitude and so on).
The Wizard (my brother) is not very well geared.
The fighter is not very well geared and is played by a VERY casual player. So he has given me access to his account, so I can retouch it (he was quite surprised as his 59 hp fighter  suddenly had 106 hp.. now at lvl 8 is near 200 hp).

Our main problem is n00binesh:
"Okay, lets loot this chest, lets click on "loot all"... what is this annoying pop up... donowhat bound to account... whatever fuck yes, yes, c´mon...oh, a hellfire x-bow, this could be nice for the arti...wtf? BtA? What?" (Actually happened, in the chrono run)

"Okay, this door is TEH DOAARR to the Boss. I will top you all with the wand, and then we will buff and...*schrooooon" (noise of door opening) WHO THE FUCK OPENED THE FUCKING DOOOR???"

Not waiting until trap is disabled.
Aggro management : What is that?
CC: Crystal Cove?

with a lot of screaming sometimes I have some little success...

« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:38am by »  

IP Logged

Infant
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Quote:
We are all RL friends, and some of us have several characters.
Usually we play with H-Cleric, Drow-Artificer, H-Wizard, Dwarf-Barb, Horc-Barb, H-fighter.
All of them very classic, no con dumps, so nothing special. Barbs have >24 Str and Cleric >24 wis.
The Barbarians, Cleric (me) & Artificer are quite good geared (bloodstone, festival Icy Burst, Brilliance & Beatitude clickies, small guild slots here and there, haste clickies, deathblocks, moderate fortitude and so on).
The Wizard (my brother) is not very well geared.
The fighter is not very well geared and is played by a VERY casual player. So he has given me access to his account, so I can retouch it (he was quite surprised as his 59 hp fighter  suddenly had 106 hp.. now at lvl 8 is near 200 hp).

Our main problem is n00binesh:
"Okay, lets loot this chest, lets click on "loot all"... what is this annoying pop up... donowhat bound to account... whatever fuck yes, yes, c´mon...oh, a hellfire x-bow, this could be nice for the arti...wtf? BtA? What?" (Actually happened, in the chrono run)

"Okay, this door is TEH DOAARR to the Boss. I will top you all with the wand, and then we will buff and...*schrooooon" (noise of door opening) WHO THE FUCK OPENED THE FUCKING DOOOR???"

Not waiting until trap is disabled.
Aggro management : What is that?
CC: Crystal Cove?

with a lot of screaming sometimes I have some little success...

Sounds like a fun group Smiley.

You might have difficulties getting the 2nd WIS switch in the northern hallway. You mentioned "classic" builds, so I assume everybody except the Cleric has a starting Wisdom no higher than 8.

8+2 tome + 6 item + 2 ship = 18

To get the last 2 points you can either use a DDO Store pot (+2 to all stats) or an alchemical House D. pot (are there alchemical +WIS potions? I never used one, so not sure here). If you don't have access to ship buffs, you will have to use both.

That is, of course, assuming you don't use exceptional bonuses which are only available at lvl 16+.

For a casual 6-man group, the Velah fight will probably be brutal, but since it's one of the funnest raids for many people, it might still be worth it Smiley.

Infant

Edit: It might also help if you knew the safespots of the northern traps if you are going to disable them on your arty.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:55am by Infant »  

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 11:03am
Print Post  
If you have someone with DDoor and someone with jets (abundant step, fvs wings, air savant jet, missle-toe, heck even cannith jet boots) you can 3 man Twilight Forge/Titan pretty easily if you know how. Even doing it at-level (11-13) isn't much harder, but that reduces your jet options to a monk or missle-toe.

You can exploit Abbot goggles-style instead of jetting, but that ticks me off personally.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2012 at 11:05am by cdr »  

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Try any that you are flagged for that's how you learn. You will fail A LOT, I would be surprised if you beat any raids at level shortman with players like you describe. For the record you are not even marginally geared...but that's ok because you have not run any raids. Not trying to be a dick, it's just reality, every raid has been shortmanned at level when they were new, but usually only by the best geared top players on each server now most wait to cap to run the same raids and still fail.

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 11:28am
Print Post  
JDollar wrote on Jan 26th, 2012 at 11:10am:
Try any that you are flagged for that's how you learn. You will fail A LOT, I would be surprised if you beat any raids at level shortman with players like you describe. For the record you are not even marginally geared...but that's ok because you have not run any raids. Not trying to be a dick, it's just reality, every raid has been shortmanned at level when they were new, but usually only by the best geared top players on each server now most wait to cap to run the same raids and still fail.

I know, I know. At the time we are all around lvl 9, some of us have some nice gear for the lvl (f.ex. Crystal Cove stuff), but it is not amazing for sure. And then... the fighter... I can remember in "taming the flames" as I suddenly took a look at the fighter... S&B and Muckbane. I had made some quests the day before (as I have his account) to put some XP in, as the distance to the others was growing. As I DCed I left the toon with the S&B and the Muckbane. "Please, tell me you didn´t run all the quest with that weapon" Answer: "cough, cough".

IP Logged

LordPiglet
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 11:39am
Print Post  
My guildies have all successfully shortmanned (as in 6 or less)

Hound, Chrono, Tempest, DQ, VoN (3 manning that was a bitch because I did one side by myself), Reavers.

We currently do DQ Tuesday and Friday, as elite loot runs for the casters mainly (those wanting torc's greenblades).

DQ and VoN both have some pretty good gear, so I would learn to run them, normal if you need to, and then work your way up to higher difficulties.

I don't know what server you're on, but if you're a fellow shortbus player, let me know and we'll try to hook you up with a teaching run in VoN, and some of the others as you get up in level.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2012 at 11:40am by LordPiglet »  

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Just go into raids and try to figure them out.  There is lots of information out there that is awesome - maps and helpful tips for all the raids in DDO.  But if you're a static group that is just having a good time, there is no harm in just jumping in and figuring it out as you go.  As everyone above said, everything can be short-manned.  Most raids only need a few bodies to actually do something in order to complete, but I wouldn't expect to complete every time if you're not familiar with the quests.

If there's a raid out there that you're interested in doing, take a peek at the Wiki.  I'm pretty sure it lets you know at least what you need (i.e. VoN 5 with wis and str levers).

Good luck!  I ran with a static group of irl friends and hubby when we first started playing DDO and it was a blast.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Infant wrote on Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:53am:
Sounds like a fun group Smiley.

You might have difficulties getting the 2nd WIS switch in the northern hallway. You mentioned "classic" builds, so I assume everybody except the Cleric has a starting Wisdom no higher than 8.

8+2 tome + 6 item + 2 ship = 18

To get the last 2 points you can either use a DDO Store pot (+2 to all stats) or an alchemical House D. pot (are there alchemical +WIS potions? I never used one, so not sure here). If you don't have access to ship buffs, you will have to use both.

That is, of course, assuming you don't use exceptional bonuses which are only available at lvl 16+.

For a casual 6-man group, the Velah fight will probably be brutal, but since it's one of the funnest raids for many people, it might still be worth it Smiley.

Infant

Edit: It might also help if you knew the safespots of the northern traps if you are going to disable them on your arty.

You are right asuming 8 Wis, but now that I remember, the guy that plays the Horc Barb has also a lvl 12  Ranger with some Wis, so it could be done. 12 Wis + 6 item + 1 tome + 1 ship buff.

Thanks to all of you for your advice  Smiley

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #17 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
One thing to think of with von5 is that you can just have someone come in that have the required stats and then leave or switch toons

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Combat Wombat
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
I bet we even see a 2 man eLoB before the year is over. Likely a WF FVS/WF Archmage team

IP Logged

Cabocleer
Korthos Resident

Um, yeah, whatever.

Reply #19 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
What Gawna said.

About this, dammit.

Given your party, (and the fact that you want to do it),  VoN is a perfectly good choice.  It's a really good way to learn what the raid requires, too.

A LOT of people trail along behind on many VoN runs that only sort of know what actually needs to be done (Or only their special thing).  It won't be a quick completion,  but going in with your group and figuring it out will lead to you actually learning it. 

And if you actually pull it off at level its quite a lot of xps.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2012 at 4:45pm by Cabocleer »  

Making it weirder for some time now.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Cabocleer wrote on Jan 26th, 2012 at 4:43pm:
What Gawna said.

About this, dammit.

Given your party, (and the fact that you want to do it),  VoN is a perfectly good choice.  It's a really good way to learn what the raid requires, too.

A LOT of people trail along behind on many VoN runs that only sort of know what actually needs to be done (Or only their special thing).  It won't be a quick completion,  but going in with your group and figuring it out will lead to you actually learning it. 

And if you actually pull it off at level its quite a lot of xps.  Good luck!

Yes, thanks. Actually one of the group, the Dwarf Barb, has another capped Dwarf and just told us that he has done VoN maybe 10 times, but has no idea how to do it, as he was always running behind some people. So, it will be tough, we will insult each other all the time, but surely fun.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #21 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 7:06am
Print Post  
IMO, the best way to learn VON5 is to lead it. It's what I did in the end - just picked up a walkthrough and asked people to be patient.

Protip: If you have the voice and the ring you can walk through the forcefields on the LHS north. I learned that the hard way Wink

If you are Khyber and are short a 20 wisdom, look for me - I have a level 9 cleric that's a mule - she's flagged and can do the Wisdom rune. Teresomething in the Hand of the Black Tower. Can't guarantee I won't be questing, but if I can I will log it and help out.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Ooki ni, Terebinthia!
I am in Argo. I guess we will run the raid in a month or so (we play together around 3 hours a week... so everything takes looooooong). We want to do Tear (for xp) and VoN1 this weekend.
Voice and the ring? The voice, I guess you mean "voice of the master" but the ring... no clue, sorry.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 8:42am
Print Post  
From this wiki page - http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Vault_of_Night

Quote:
List of items NPCs will hand out (One time only, for one player only) - the important one here is the Voice:

Dirge of Carnath: Dirge's Bulwark - +2 Heavy shield: Greater Lightning Resistance (Destroyed on Exiting Adventure, Binds on Acquire)
    Mistress Orphne: Orphne's Grace - Wand: Remove Necrotic Touch (20 charges, caster level 5) (Destroyed on Exiting Adventure, Binds on Acquire)
    Veil: 100 Veil's Avenger - +2 Arrow: Dwarf Bane (Destroyed on Exiting Adventure)
    Haywire: Haywire's Voice - Drops on Leaving Adventure, Drops on Death

Other key items required for quest completion - be absolutely sure about who picks these up:

Arcane Signet Ring - Drops on Leaving Adventure, Drops on Death
    Crystal Master Key

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 8:42am:

Ok! Understood!
I am a bit torn between reading the walk-through or not... Smiley

IP Logged