Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Shortmaning Raids (Read 12613 times)
Hordo
High Rabbi

Le Douchebag

Re: Shortmaning Raids
Reply #25 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Belwaar wrote on Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:04am:
All of them.  Smiley

This.

There is not a raid in the game that cannot be done short-manned.

Granted the fewest I've done LoB (Normal) on is 7 players due to 2 douchebags still on timer when we got to the quest, one /ragequit and pair of DC's, but it can certainly be done.

I think I can safely say that anyone here who's been around for a while has done some 6-man or fewer raids...even many at-level.

I say go have fun with your static group and try a few out.

I am the Rabbi, goo goo g'Jew!
Who doesn't <3 Gornn?
GORNN II 4:3:17 - For Gornn sent not Hordo into the world to save the party; but that the party through him might be wiped.
[QUOTE=404error;4155294]Hordo I don't want to steal you from these forums because your almost an icon here. ;p [/quote]
IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #26 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Quote:
Ok! Understood!
I am a bit torn between reading the walk-through or not... Smiley

I've no toons on argo so I can't help you there, sorry.

I would say for VON it's worth at least the proposed leader reading the walkthrough, There's quite a bit of toing and froing from the central hub where you zone in, and you do need to get some of the quest items to the right place. The voice and the ring, for example, have to be on the same person and go on the left hand side when you head north. It really depends on how patient your static group is. Even so you get a sense of where to go first, and what you need to pass the quest objectives.

Often people split up and complete different objectives separately, but I wouldn't recommend that - stay together and that way you will all learn it.

Stuff apart from the 2 x wisdom and 2 x strength stats that's needed is someone with unlock at a decent level, or knock loaded.

Spoiler freeish stuff that will help:
A trapsmith is very very handy.
The ability to hear voice and at least one person with voice is very useful for two bits requiring simultaneous lever pulling / rune fettling.
Someone who can cast resist energy is worth their weight in gold.
Someone who can cast DDoor is also very helpful.
Jump clickies are useful for one bit, as are featherfall clickies or a perma festherfall item.
Adamantine and preferably anarchic weapons / smiters are very helpful for the end fight.
Everbright weapons or muckbanes.
Remove curse / disease pots

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
We just shortmanned our first "serious" raid (we had Shortmanned Chronoscope, but on Lvl 8):
Tempestspine. It was very funny  Cheesy

One friend had done it some months before, with his other alt, he couldnīt remember very well, and we didnīt read the Wiki.. What for?

We were five: Cleric human 11 (me) Wiz human 10 (my brother) Horc Barb 10 (friend) Dwarf Barb 10 (friend and leader), Human Fighter 10 (friend, n00000b) . First problem: the locked dors. My brother could not knock them with the wand, and he was so fucking stupid (as always) not to have it as a spell. So he used the wand off (until it made "click" ...read like "Jesus" in Big Lebowski) and we had to buy TWO bells of opening, because the Dear Leader didnīt know that you can go other way.

5 Minutes after spending the TPs, the fucking asshole of the Artificer Drow logs in (another RL friend). We DDOr and guide him. The Horc has Waggro, stays connected just in case he can rejoin. Half an hour later, just as we were before the portal for Sorījek (really, we were buffing), the Arti-Ass inform us that he has to go for a dinner "soonish" (who the fuck joins a raid with only 30 minutes time!!??).

Anyway, lets go. Our leader tells us "we have to do something with the shard...ehh...somehow it was always some other guy that was doing the thing with the shards..." meh... we enter. The dwarf does the puzzle, the Arti gets killed and goes for dinner (without logging out, of course), the Human fighter flies... short, we get killed. But the Horc is still somewher, alive, so we recall, rebuff, read the wiki, and reenter. The Horc suddenly joins again!!! He had managed the waggro like a champion!! He had accumulated a lot of maggro that week, so he could do it (M-aggro is the opposite as W-aggro... inverted W).
We enter again, we put the shard in the pots. I fry the guy with mega-maximized greater brilliance Divine punishment and my brother, the Wiz, with sonic blast. The Horc tanks him but goes to do some talking to the birds. The next flying is the Wizard, but he lands in a higher position and continues with the frying. Dwarf goes flying too. Finally, with brotherly love, my cleric and the wiz finish the guy!!!

THERE YOU HAVE YOUR FUCKING BEANS YOU FUCKING GREEN GIANT!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2012 at 4:56pm by »  

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
This is why Azog is one of my favorites.

IP Logged

PlaidPooka
DQ Assaulter

Fuckity-fuck-fuck

Reply #29 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 26th, 2012 at 9:17am:
Three manned it, elite, at level with Mts and Chloe. Actually, I more ran behind them trying to get into the haste circle.

Our guild three-manned this, mostly because there's only 3 in the guild!  We didn't have much trouble.

Tarrant can suck my boobies.  On second thought, they are far too soft and supple for the likes of him.  Tarrant, you can GFY while having hopeless pathetic dreams of my boobies.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 3:42am
Print Post  
So, Saturday we tried VoN5... a complete catastrophe.
Yes, ok, sure, shortmaning a raid is not easy blah blah, but this was really a complete desaster. I had told everybody what pots to get, what spells to learn, I fetched some greater heroism scrolls for my retarded brotherīs Wizzard (He never thought of that by himself...+4 to attack, to saves and skills? Not really worth the hassle .). We had two problems:

First, the spirit of Axer had taken posession of the Dwarf Barbarian.

Suddenly he had grown a small rectangular mustache under his nose and had a worrying tendency to  salute stretching his right hand with the palm down. And he was clearly menstruating. He invited us with his 20th level toon (also a dwarf barbarian) to his guild ship to buff and he started micromanaging how people had to take the buffs: "First you take this here and... where are you going?? THIS HERE FIRST!!!..."

Well, you know, if you take the buffs in the correct order it only takes 1 minute 38 seconds instead of 2 minutes 12 seconds.

The second problem was the artificer. He was in some Spanish mountains, as we say in Spain "where Jesus lost his lighter" (in the fucking middle of nowhere). He was connecting with 3G...badly. He could not hear us well. We could not really hear him. He did not get all the party chat messages, apparently. The "tells" worked...maybe.

So we tell him to take "The Voice". He goes to Haywire, and seems to speak with him. We assumed he took the voice. The alert reader may already suspect that he didnīt.
We have then the first trap. The arti is writing in Guildchat, so I answer him in Guildchat "The trapbox is on the right side, at the end". He starts searching at the beginning of the left side. "Noooo. Right side, END". He runs through the trap on the left side and get almost killed. "RIGHT SIDE". He checks the left side. Eventually, he checks right and finds the box.
It seems he had changed to party chat. Ok, fucking party chat then.

There we go the ramp down, to kill necrotic bankers that ruined the economy, and ask the arti to speak with the stone. "The stone gives no answer". Hmmm....maybe we have to somehow turn some power on, first. So, we go the ramp up again. The arty is still in front of the stone "where did you all go?".

The menstruating spirit of Axer rises with might inside the dwarf barbarian and starts to insult the arti, the artiīs computer, the artiīs internet company, the artiīs dog... The Arti seems to hear voice chat only when he is being insulted, so he starts getting extremely pissed off. He seems also to be missing a lot of messages from party chat. After a "few hours", we regroup a the shrines.

I start asking the arti in a tell "Do you have the voice?".
He answers in guild: "I turned the microphone off".

Azog:"I mean THE VOICE* (in english)" (waiting for answer... he seems to be reading the missed guild messages from the beginning)

Spirit of Axer, voice chat: "Buff the people before shrining. I need heal, also"
Azog:"I have the aura turned on. Come here. And donīt bother me, I am chatting to the arti"

Arti: (after reading guild messages) "What trap do you want me to dissable?"

Azog (affected by "crushing despair"): "Just let it be. Just follow us". I assume he has not the voice. I tell so in voice chat, somebody picks The Voice.

Arti: "It was me who dissabled that trap there" (what the fuck is he talking about???)

Azog: "Its fine, its fine, just follow"

(the arti seems to find the messages about the voice)

Arti: "to whom should I speak?"

All this, with a menstruating Spirit of Axer in voice chat calling the rest of us n00bs, running around killing stuff and asking for hjeals. In such situations I usually explode, but I am really improving in rage management, and I kept more or less calm.

We go to the puzzle. We get it done without to much screaming.

Then, the grand finale: The electric trap with the turning blades traps. The arti tries to dissable...and...yessss!!! he gets killed. Of course. He stays there, waiting. The shrine is kind of 10 meters away. We wait. He doesnīt move.

Azog (*sigh*): Ok, go out from there and I ress you.

Arti: Canīt you ress me here? (*He thought the electric trap was the only one, I guess)

Azog: Yes, but you will be get killed again.

No answer.

No answer.

No answer.

Azog: Ok, I ress you. ....woosshh....*DING*

Arti: Ok, I see. *rage quit*

So we try to get the traps the hard way. I get killed.
We recall. I call it a night and dc.

« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2012 at 3:46am by »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #31 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 5:30am
Print Post  
If you jump the first spinning blade and go tot he barrier - depending on how good you are with trap timing, you may get hit once, or twice.  Not at all if you are good at it.  Just have the caster throw a jump on everyone.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 5:47am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Apr 9th, 2012 at 5:30am:
If you jump the first spinning blade and go tot he barrier - depending on how good you are with trap timing, you may get hit once, or twice.  Not at all if you are good at it.  Just have the caster throw a jump on everyone. 

Good to know. The problem is the tactics are dictated by the dwarf barbarian (lvl 12, 402 hp fully buffed). He took 200 hits in the traps and expect us "n00bs" to do the same and survive.
The caster was running with him and get killed at the end, and was waiting for me to cross to res him at the other end.
Anyway, I was fed up and had no motivation to continue.

IP Logged

Infant
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Quote:
First problem: the locked dors. My brother could not knock them with the wand, and he was so fucking stupid (as always) not to have it as a spell. So he used the wand off (until it made "click" ...read like "Jesus" in Big Lebowski) and we had to buy TWO bells of opening, because the Dear Leader didnīt know that you can go other way.

If you ever want to attempt this again: IIRC, you don't have to open the doors. When you are past the poison traps, instead of turning left to the locked door, turn right and go outside. There you can drop down and, standing with the back to the mountain, go to the right. Climb the mountain, fight few Reavers and enter the mountain again. You should now be on the other side of the locked doors.

I think the only necessarily required thing for the raid is the Int rune before Ice and Fire, everything else can be bypassed/avoided.

Infant

IP Logged

Slug
Shroud Slacker

Reply #34 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 9:19am
Print Post  
You have a lot of patience.

Quote:
he started micromanaging how people had to take the buffs: "First you take this here and... where are you going?? THIS HERE FIRST!!!..."

I'd've stopped right here.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Slug wrote on Apr 9th, 2012 at 9:19am:
You have a lot of patience.

I'd've stopped right here.

Well, problem he is a RL friend. Actually he is a good guy, but D&D turns him to a monster.
In PnP is a lot worse. Once I was DM, he was screaming so much that I stood up, told the group that I was going out for a 15 min. walk, and they should talk in the mean time to him.

No, I didnīt kill his character. No, there was no problem with the rules. He had a halfling rogue and the party wanted him to scout ahead through a pool of water he had to dive through. I think he expected some ill tempered mutated sea bass with laser beams attached to their heads, and started a feral discussion with the rest of the party.

* (to his defend, I have to say that the rest of the party, also RL friends, love to provoke, to troll and so on. So they where mocking him the best they could.)
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2012 at 10:32am by »  

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #36 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 10:33am
Print Post  
For people with bad internet connections, you can turn up the voice delay in game settings if voice is breaking up. This increases voice lag, but hearing it later is probably better than not hearing it at all.

Or if you have a static group have someone set up a Teamspeak server and have everyone use Teamspeak - it's much more sophisticated software and works better in adverse conditions.

IP Logged

Cabocleer
Korthos Resident

Um, yeah, whatever.

Reply #37 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Quote:
... kill necrotic bankers that ruined the economy ...

Smiley

Quote:
The menstruating spirit of Axer rises with might inside the dwarf barbarian ...

Smiley Smiley

Quote:
with a menstruating Spirit of Axer in voice chat calling the rest of us n00bs, running around killing stuff and asking for hjeals. In such situations I usually explode, but I am really improving in rage management, and I kept more or less calm.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Gratz on the management and leadership, and good luck when you try again.

You can decide for yourself when to tell the arti he only had 7 more traps to do in the lightning halls. 

Making it weirder for some time now.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Azog, your posts make my day better.   Kiss

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #39 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Azog, your posts make my day better.   

All I have to do is read one of his posts and suddenly my day doesn't seem so bad...

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
I am crying from laughing. OMG please come play with us on Khyber.

JDollar wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

JDollar wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:15am:
To put in DnD terms Grace is a CR 60 EE Ball Busting Bitch

IP Logged

Deeds
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Im considering sending you something on argo for making my day.

Also, penis.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #42 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So, Saturday we tried VoN5... a complete catastrophe.

That wasn't your group asking me if I was flagged on Saturday, was it?  (on Ysharan)

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.ïŋ― And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

Taunting the stupid since
before you were born.

Reply #43 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
A-fucking-mazing.

Instant asshole. Just add alcohol.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #44 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
I remember the first time I tried to short-man a raid. Of course we were a bit over level at the time but still tough.

I hit level 12 on my barb, the first character I had managed to get to such a high level at the time, and I thought to myself "hot damn supreme cleave is the best thing since sliced bread." so I decide to buy a couple hundred oils of repair (a normal amount for my barb) and jump into normal tempest spine just to see how many I could kill before I died. Next thing I know I'm at the int rune unable to proceed in that direction due to my int stat of 8 and down about 100 pots. At this moment I am still thinking to myself "hot damn supreme cleave is the best thing since sliced bread." So being unable to open the door with my rocks for brains barb I head in the other direction. Just before I reach the locked door my guildie loges on with his multi-TR on its wiz life at wiz10/rog2. You can not have better timing than that, I dare you to try. He comes in, opens the doors, we both kick the asses of everything in the mountain, I tank the un-jolly green giant and he heals me and solves the puzzle at the same time. The end fight was a huge pain without FOM though.

Azogs story is much better though. Nothing really happened in mine, but that was because I ran tempest spine into the ground because I loved too run it so much and had the innards of the mountain memorized.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #45 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
There was a time when short man raids were the default.

All my old characters had pretty much 1 of every item from DQ, Titan, and Dragon. I really miss the old warding stones.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #46 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Apr 9th, 2012 at 8:23pm:
There was a time when short man raids were the default.

All my old characters had pretty much 1 of every item from DQ, Titan, and Dragon. I really miss the old warding stones.

Those were better times.  I miss them dearly.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 3:04am
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Apr 9th, 2012 at 6:36pm:
That wasn't your group asking me if I was flagged on Saturday, was it?  (on Ysharan)

No, our guild is just 6 RL friends and we play once or twice a week as a "static group". Usually we donīt join other runs or put LFMīs. With some other characters I join PUGs (JC, I also like Tempest Spine a lot...). We saw a LFM for VoN5 Elite (TRs welcome, Know it, no 1st timers) and my pipe hittinī friend the dwarf barbarian, just after the disaster, was trying to convince us to join the LFM "to learn how to do the raid".

That would have been a "great idea". The dwarf barb would have done well (he is a pro-gamer, not only DDO), but the rest of us would have been running like headless chicken behind the rest of the group. Funny enough, they would have probably accepted our requests, even by looking "MyDDO", as our characters look "okay". My brother the wizz, the human fighter and the Horc Barb would have killed happily the djinns and the fascinated trash as fast as they could and wondered why people screamed at them. 

Actually a pitty. It would have been funny to read the "news" in a drama/rage thread in the forums.

Edit: By the way, our Guild is
http://my.ddo.com/guild-argonnessen-bibi_y_los_chicoh_de_coloh/roster/

(the page is actually quite outdated, some PCs doesnīt exist anymore)

My PCs are:
Mindaugas
Estugro
Wisconsia
Asurbanipali
Jenjibre

« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2012 at 3:22am by »  

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #48 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:
No, our guild is just 6 RL friends and we play once or twice a week as a "static group". Usually we donīt join other runs or put LFMīs. With some other characters I join PUGs (JC, I also like Tempest Spine a lot...). We saw a LFM for VoN5 Elite (TRs welcome, Know it, no 1st timers) and my pipe hittinī friend the dwarf barbarian, just after the disaster, was trying to convince us to join the LFM "to learn how to do the raid".

That would have been a "great idea". The dwarf barb would have done well (he is a pro-gamer, not only DDO), but the rest of us would have been running like headless chicken behind the rest of the group. Funny enough, they would have probably accepted our requests, even by looking "MyDDO", as our characters look "okay". My brother the wizz, the human fighter and the Horc Barb would have killed happily the djinns and the fascinated trash as fast as they could and wondered why people screamed at them. 

Actually a pitty. It would have been funny to read the "news" in a drama/rage thread in the forums.

Edit: By the way, our Guild is
http://my.ddo.com/guild-argonnessen-bibi_y_los_chicoh_de_coloh/roster/

(the page is actually quite outdated, some PCs doesnīt exist anymore)

My PCs are:
Mindaugas
Estugro
Wisconsia
Asurbanipali
Jenjibre

Ah, okay.  The lfm you mentioned might have been it then.  We might have joined that one if we were remotely close to being flagged, but we were still farming out VoN 3 on elite for xp, and hadn't touched the other three quests at all.

On an unrelated note, between the xp tomes and that 20% bonus xp, last week was fantastic for leveling.  I ended up skipping a ton of different quests on my normal farm list.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.ïŋ― And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Apr 9th, 2012 at 5:56pm:
I am crying from laughing. OMG please come play with us on Khyber.

If I would have time... *sigh*... Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint