Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Update 13 has reached Lamannia (Read 27712 times)
scraap
Ex Member

Re: Update 13 has reached Lamannia
Reply #75 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:19am:
I had boots on my Xploiter.  It was a choice.  Have the extra HP or have the UMD and etc.

Changing them so you can UMD with them seems fucktarded.

Still mulling over the implications myself. Not the least of which is: do we really want to perpetuate running level 14 content at 20-25 just to keep up with the joneses?

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #76 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:18am:
I just find it extremely aggravating that it seems nothing gets fixed but they spend a lot of hours fucking with stuff that has been in game and not really an issue for years.

And with that you have my full agreement. There were certainly more pressing issues than changing 3 year old loot

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #77 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:21am:
1d8 is too low but honestly the clusterfuck of a spell that was the current Deadly Weapons obviously couldn't stay.  With the new implementation it'll basically be the only weapon buff I pass out in 99% of the quests that don't need DR breaking.  And it will now stack with PBS.  And work on Monks. 

Non-warchanter pure bards can add +7 damage per swing.  I think that's a good target for Deadly Weapons so 2d6 would be just about right.  Especially since this is main-hand only.  1d8 does feel a little small but I'll live with it as long as it fixes the stupid that was the current deadly.  Adding 5d6 to certain players while only adding 1d6 to others made little sense.  Having it not work on Monks was par for the course and then you had the 'will I be in PBS range/won't I' game that Arti's had to play...I don't view this as a straight-up nerf as much as it's just a fix that isn't calibrated to my liking yet.

My girlfriend says 1d8 is a good size and that it satisfies her, why should I think anything different?

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:

Quote:

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #78 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Give me 1d10 untyped or 2d8 bleed damage.

IP Logged

substrate
Dragon Raider

Reply #79 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 9:51am:
1) It no longer stacks with itself so there is no Double Madstone.
2) Previously, the proc timer reset every time you were hit.  It no longer does.  It will proc then not proc again till after it expires and you take the debuff much less efficient for tanks.  Not sure if you have to wait out the debuff for a new proc.
3) The -4 to Int, Wiz, and Cha make it nearly impossible for most builds to use SF pots and boots.
4) They become a huge buff to Twocock and WF FVS builds while fucking every melee who ever farmed them.

3) use a build point to bump your base 6 stats to 7, eat a +3 tome, rely on epic slotted +1exceptional, get a ship buff, or drink a yugo pot.

6 base + 2 tome + 6 item +1-2 of any of the above = 15+.

If you have 8 base, slot a +6 on some epic gear and eat a +1 tome.

It's like magic!

Everything else about the change sucks except that we can use clickies and spells while madstoned.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #80 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:18am
Print Post  
substrate wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:13am:
3) use a build point to bump your base 6 stats to 7, eat a +3 tome, rely on epic slotted +1exceptional, get a ship buff, or drink a yugo pot.

6 base + 2 tome + 6 item +1-2 of any of the above = 15+.

If you have 8 base, slot a +6 on some epic gear and eat a +1 tome.

It's like magic!

Everything else about the change sucks except that we can use clickies and spells while madstoned.

Sure, but slotting all that on a pure Fighter or Barb would likely cost you more DPS in the gear you take off than it's worth.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #81 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:19am
Print Post  
While that's a reasonable solution for the powergamers of DDO, that's not reasonable for the other 95% of the playerbase.

You'd be surprised how many people don't use +1 and +2 tomes, much less +3 or +4. 

Just keep it the way it is and everyone will be happy.  Well...except JonnyD...

IP Logged

substrate
Dragon Raider

Reply #82 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Belwaar wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:19am:
While that's a reasonable solution for the powergamers of DDO, that's not reasonable for the other 95% of the playerbase.

You'd be surprised how many people don't use +1 and +2 tomes, much less +3 or +4. 

Just keep it the way it is and everyone will be happy.  Well...except JonnyD...

How many people that chug SF pots don't have access to some of this stuff? 

I'm sure there's some out there, but if it came down to it I would understand having to sacrifice a little for the sake of large doses of healing in pot form.

IP Logged

noneill
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!<br />

Reply #83 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:43am
Print Post  
I am excited to finally get a Carnifex. I have lost count of how many times I ran Delera's. I just recently did 3 on my current TR.

I have been playing since Headstart. I probably did have the option of getting one way back when but was too clueless and took the Linen Handwraps.  Those were uber back in the day though. About the only +4 STR item I could get.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #84 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:46am
Print Post  
JDollar wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:26am:
My girlfriend says 1d8 is a good size and that it satisfies her, why should I think anything different?

Size really does matter though and any honest woman will tell you that 1d8 just won't get the job done.  1d10 is average but most women prefer 2d6.  Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to hang my head in shame for posting that.

Maxwell Edison wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:48am:

I like the idea of making it bleed damage.  You can make the damage higher, it's situational then, but when it can be used it's the best buff by a wider margin than the 1d8 force versus 1d6 elemental we have now or the 1d10 untyped versus 1d6 elemental you'd suggested.

The other choice that would be really fun and probably be on par power-wise would be to have it add a disintegrate proc.  Balance the proc-rate so you're adding 6-7 damage or so per swing but then it really is 'deadly' weapons rather than, 'ouchy, that hurt a bit more' weapons.  Then have an epic arti spell that adds lightning strike which iirc is 9.5 damage per swing. Smiley

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #85 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:21am:
1d8 is too low but honestly the clusterfuck of a spell that was the current Deadly Weapons obviously couldn't stay

Agreed but the thing that grinds my gears is they put Arti's in just a few months ago.  How did it not occur to them when designing the class that this spell was fucking ridiculous?  How does it take this long to change it?  What happened to that whole complicated die step change Eladrin posted about?  It's just more sloppiness...

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #86 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:46am:
The other choice that would be really fun and probably be on par power-wise would be to have it add a disintegrate proc.  Balance the proc-rate so you're adding 6-7 damage or so per swing but then it really is 'deadly' weapons rather than, 'ouchy, that hurt a bit more' weapons.  Then have an epic arti spell that adds lightning strike which iirc is 9.5 damage per swing. Smiley

Disintegrate proc is going too far I think, but stacking 10% fortification bypass would be a good fit balance wise.

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #87 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:57am
Print Post  
substrate wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:25am:
How many people that chug SF pots don't have access to some of this stuff? 

Umm...that's what I said.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #88 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:52am:
Agreed but the thing that grinds my gears is they put Arti's in just a few months ago.  How did it not occur to them when designing the class that this spell was fucking ridiculous?  How does it take this long to change it?  What happened to that whole complicated die step change Eladrin posted about?  It's just more sloppiness...

I was just wondering the exact same thing.  Hopefully he decided to scrap it and just nerfed Deadly Weapons instead.  It would be pretty dumb for someone to be fundamentally changing how damage is calculated for every single weapon in the game* just for one spell and "unspecified possible future developments that might not suck."

* Except for the three different flavors of handwraps.  Those would get "fixed" later Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2012 at 12:01pm by Schmoe »  

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #89 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:18am:
Sure, but slotting all that on a pure Fighter or Barb would likely cost you more DPS in the gear you take off than it's worth.

Tomes carry over on TR's think of how many open clear and yellow slots you have

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

IP Logged

Merrick
DQ Assaulter

Reply #90 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
JDollar wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:26am:

Maxwell Edison wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:48am:

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #91 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
1d8 extra Force damage with a 6th level spell (Deadly Weapons).

Craptacular.

Not sure my Arti will even carry this spell now even when it becomes available to him via a scroll or something else.

I do agree with Darkrok's 2d6 suggestion though and I also like his reasoning for it.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2012 at 2:51pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #92 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
I'd be more upset opinionated about the DW change, but the only melees I play at the moment are monks (and it never worked in the first place), and my arti is only level 7, so I'm fairly indifferent.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #93 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Belwaar wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 2:51pm:
I'd be more upset opinionated about the DW change, but the only melees I play at the moment are monks (and it never worked in the first place), and my arti is only level 7, so I'm fairly indifferent.

I spent like 15 seconds wondering what the fuck they did to screw up Deathward.  Sad

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #94 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Don't panic about Madstone's yet:

Genasi:

As many of you have (rightfully) asked for us to do in this thread: let's talk.

The changes to Madstone Rage all began with an intention to fix the effect such that you would no longer be prevented from using items like item clickies, Incense Torches and Lesser Restoration potions. Any item that we create in such a way that it "casts a spell" from itself was being blocked by Madstone Rage due to the no-casting restriction, so removing that to allow spell-based items to function was the first step.

However, we were then faced with the situation of the boots being too desirable for casters compared to before: as many of you have said already, it's not the casters that need buffing here! That was the reason for the penalties to the casting stats: to dissuade caster characters from wanting to use these items and taking them away from the melee characters the boots were intended for, while avoiding preventing classes such as Paladins or Rangers from casting their spells entirely. But that did have some unforeseen consequences:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboytkd 
There is ZERO reason to make being self-sufficient more difficult on melees (SF pots were a big source of melee self-sufficiency, which can't really be used with these boots). There's really no reason to give spellcasters, especially wf sorcs, more access to con boosts at the expense of melee power.
We didn't anticipate the effect this would have on characters that rely on Silver Flame potions for healing, and certainly didn't intend to proxy-nerf them. Not only that, but it's true that the penalties to those stats may even be too minor with respecting to casting to make magic-users think twice about Madstone Raging. So how could we do that better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkyle 
If you want to make them usable by casters, while also benefiting melee as well, then simply replace the "can't cast" on the current item with a +50% spell point cost, -4 to UMD checks, and -2 DC to all spells. Drop the morale-typing, stat penalties, and Shaken aftereffect. That way, casters can still use them, if they feel they're worth the cost, and discourages spell casting with them on.
Instead of reducing Int/Wis/Cha, the -2 DC penalty plus extra spell point cost suggestion here seems like a good way to accomplish the goal of deterring spellcasters from using the boots, while not penalizing other types of characters in unrelated ways. Another option would be to have Madstone Rage bestow something like a 50% spell failure chance, but that strikes me as a bit more penalizing than necessary due to the unreliability of whether or not the spell will actually take effect.

It seems the extra Will save penalty is probably unnecessary as well, though the Shaken effect was really added more as a flavor element than anything else. It's preventable by Greater Heroism and other fear-immunity effects, and removable by anything that removes fear. However, if it still seems like too much of a penalty, the suggestion of making it a Fatigue effect instead also seemed appropriate. Let us know what your thoughts are on this portion of the change.

Finally, the bonuses to Strength and Constitution were changed to be Morale-type mainly because of the situation of being able to stack the on-demand clicky with the proc chance on the item. That's why the stat buffs were increased to compensate. But this does have the effect of making them not stack with many other sources of Rage-like Strength and Con buffs, so changing them to a Profane bonus is something we're considering. The clicky and proc still won't stack, but the buffs will stack with most other outside sources.

To sum up: we're definitely going to change how we approach the modifications to Madstone Rage here, so please offer your thoughts on the above possibilities, and we'll come to the decision that seems to make the most sense. And thank you all for the frank feedback: this is what Lamannia is for.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #95 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 8:18am:
I predict that it won't last.  Enough people are up in arms about it that I expect them to change the boots back to something that stacks with Rage.   It may not be untyped anymore, so no double procs, but should still stack with Rage.

From here:
Quote:
Finally, the bonuses to Strength and Constitution were changed to be Morale-type mainly because of the situation of being able to stack the on-demand clicky with the proc chance on the item. That's why the stat buffs were increased to compensate. But this does have the effect of making them not stack with many other sources of Rage-like Strength and Con buffs, so changing them to a Profane bonus is something we're considering. The clicky and proc still won't stack, but the buffs will stack with most other outside sources.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

-Waters

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #96 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:52am:

[QUOTE=Vesuvium;4282077]First things first, thanks for all the feedback.

Just to get you all up-to-speed on the subject: Deadly Weapons was unintentionally released to the live servers during Update 12. It was released in a form that had not yet been balanced, bug-fixed, or otherwise polished and approved. There are concerns with how it interacts with handwraps, ranged weapons, high base damage weapons, etc.

Additionally, it was released without the corresponding spell scrolls, creating a situation where level-capped Artificers were unable to acquire the spell at all, unless they chose to True Reincarnate. This, combined with the fact that it was more powerful than intended in certain situations, was punishing to early adopters of the class, who now had to compete for groups with newer artificers that had this spell.

Back in November, Eladrin described the intended version of Deadly Weapons. (The details, of course, are subject to change). We would have loved to be able to have this complete in time for U13, but it was not.

Rather than removing the spell outright, and then re-releasing it when it is completed, we chose to introduce a temporary version of the spell in Update 13. This is the version described in the Lamannia release notes. This interim version of the spell will be replaced by the final version that Eladrin described in the next major update.

Also note: In the next update to Lamannia and in the eventual live release of U13, the spell should once again apply to both the off-hand and the main-hand weapons. [/quote]

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4282077&postcount=81

No surprise...Turbine's release management is fucked up.

Quote:

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #97 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:03pm:
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4282077&postcount=81

No surprise...Turbine's release management is fucked up.

Ugh, they're still planning on that weapon dice clusterfuck.

Smiley

-Waters

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #98 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Did anyone not know that Deadly Weapons was fucked up and released wrong because of the dice bugs? 

I think that the dice change is for the best, though.  I can't see anything to complain about with it, tbh.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #99 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
They could of at least gone Force Burst on this.

That and an increased multiplier on vorpals could be fun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint