Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Madstone Boots Not Nerfed After All... (Read 20424 times)
Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Re: Madstone Boots Not Nerfed After All...
Reply #25 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
TheSaint wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 3:02pm:
It's always funny as shit to be doing Ice legit and watch the person beside you get hit by the darts and their madstones go off.

You just know that you've got about 5-7 seconds and you're about to be swimming in death.

Heh.  I was in asteroids on one of those type runs.  It's almost as fun listening to them on voice chat trying to figure out how not to die in about 3 seconds...

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Why not leave it as an enhancement bonus? Or whatever it is now?

Or just change the coding on your stupid torches. And lesser restore pots? You can drink guild pots all the time, and they're generally cheaper than the normal ones.

Fucking retards...

After some of the dev responses I am now 100% certain that they aren't capable of coding actual spells and spell-like clicky effects separately Cheesy

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Felgor wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 5:46pm:
What I don't get is...why fucking change the boots?

If you can't run torches with them on, don't fucking wear them. The amount of stupid in that reasoning blows my mind.

ARGHHHH. Fuck off. ARGHHH!

Because it's the only piece of gear from reaver that's actually withstood the test of time, they have to be brought in line with other crap Smiley

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #28 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
The thing that gets me and that I mentioned in the Maj Mal thread, is that it's as though they don't have anyone there who plays the game at all. If they had come out, before they had coded a single thing and said "We want to change the madstone effect to allow the casting of spells/scrolls/clickies, this is what we are thinking about doing" everyone would have come back and said what a fucking stupid idea that was.

Sure you would have had the usual crowd of "OMG DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING" but they could have come up with an actual solution instead of wasting time coding something that would be discarded.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 9:32pm:
The thing that gets me and that I mentioned in the Maj Mal thread, is that it's as though they don't have anyone there who plays the game at all. If they had come out, before they had coded a single thing and said "We want to change the madstone effect to allow the casting of spells/scrolls/clickies, this is what we are thinking about doing" everyone would have come back and said what a fucking stupid idea that was.

Sure you would have had the usual crowd of "OMG DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING" but they could have come up with an actual solution instead of wasting time coding something that would be discarded.

That would be a great idea.  They should have just released the change with notes to a test server and announced it far and wide, then listened to the community and started working on changes when they realized how many people were upset by it.  That would have been a lot better than this bullshit.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #30 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 9:37pm:
That would be a great idea.  They should have just released the change with notes to a test server and announced it far and wide, then listened to the community and started working on changes when they realized how many people were upset by it.  That would have been a lot better than this bullshit. 

I see what you did there, Oak, but no, that's kind of the point. They appear to be doing a decent job of listening about the enhancement UI, for example. Why not do the same bloody thing? If this is to do with druids or some other bloody thing they could have put some form of spin on it....

It's only one of the items pretty much every melee toon farms for. No big deal there....

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
They recognized it was stupid that one couldn't use items that count as 'spells' and they obviously can't trivially change a whole lot of things to not technically be spells, so they went for the next best thing.  They didn't think of SF pots and recognize they made a stupid mistake, which they're currently fixing in an open manner by discussing it with the community and taking in feedback from the player base.

I can't think of a way that they could have done this better, other than announcing it before it ever hit Lammania - but doesn't that seem pretty extreme for a change to a single item?  The enhancement system is a huge overhaul of something that every single player has no choice but to use, whereas this is a change to an item that not every player wants, let alone has.  It seems like it would be ridiculous to make a thread about this change and try to hash it out before ever even hitting Lammania. 

Considering that the rest of this update is pretty much a handjob for the players and that they're reacting so quickly to this change to the point that we'll never see it on Live, I honestly don't get the complaints.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #32 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 10:28pm:
They recognized it was stupid that one couldn't use items that count as 'spells' and they obviously can't trivially change a whole lot of things to not technically be spells, so they went for the next best thing.  They didn't think of SF pots and recognize they made a stupid mistake, which they're currently fixing in an open manner by discussing it with the community and taking in feedback from the player base.

I can't think of a way that they could have done this better, other than announcing it before it ever hit Lammania - but doesn't that seem pretty extreme for a change to a single item?  The enhancement system is a huge overhaul of something that every single player has no choice but to use, whereas this is a change to an item that not every player wants, let alone has.  It seems like it would be ridiculous to make a thread about this change and try to hash it out before ever even hitting Lammania. 

Considering that the rest of this update is pretty much a handjob for the players and that they're reacting so quickly to this change to the point that we'll never see it on Live, I honestly don't get the complaints. 

They could have someone involved in the development who plays the game every once in a while.

Or had some kind of, I don't know, special invite only server, which acts as a focus group of upcoming changes, to make sure the really stupid stuff doesn't get through. Preferably ones who aren't giving the developers blow-jobs while giving 'honest feedback'.

It's not just the silver flame pot thing, it's like they only consider Fighters and Barbarians to be 'melee dps' who might use the boots and that giving a minus to int/cha/wis would only affect pure casters.

Most of the other stuff in the update does look pretty nice, but I can give you the most awesome chocolate cake in the world, but if there is a nice big steaming pile of shit sitting on top, you probably wont remember the cake being all that nice.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #33 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
If only we could log into http://preview.ddo.com/ maybe we could get some answers Smiley

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
What percentage of the players do you think even have SF pots, let alone use them regularly?  It's not surprising that most of the people who create the game aren't among the elite players, imo, and it seems like they made some pretty simple mistakes to have made and are currently working on fixing those mistakes.

Just like the old Barb rage/Barb PL rage, Madstone was never meant to stack with itself.  That's probably the main thing they were trying to fix, as well as fixing the 'can't use certain pots' problem.  They're considering doing the -2 to all DCs instead of the mental stats and changing the typing of the stat bonus based on player feedback, and their turnaround in making that consideration is less than a day, unless I'm off by a few hours. 

And instead of saying "Hey, Turbine's trying to make good, I should join the voices that are helping to fix this problem," people just want to be whiny little entitled bitches.  I just can't understand it.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #35 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 11:05pm:
What percentage of the players do you think even have SF pots, let alone use them regularly?  It's not surprising that most of the people who create the game aren't among the elite players, imo, and it seems like they made some pretty simple mistakes to have made and are currently working on fixing those mistakes.

Just like the old Barb rage/Barb PL rage, Madstone was never meant to stack with itself.  That's probably the main thing they were trying to fix, as well as fixing the 'can't use certain pots' problem.  They're considering doing the -2 to all DCs instead of the mental stats and changing the typing of the stat bonus based on player feedback, and their turnaround in making that consideration is less than a day, unless I'm off by a few hours. 

And instead of saying "Hey, Turbine's trying to make good, I should join the voices that are helping to fix this problem," people just want to be whiny little entitled bitches.  I just can't understand it. 

Silver flame pots are only part of it, I have personally never used one myself. But what do you think happens to a monk if they lose 4 wisdom, or a paladin who loses 4 cha and 4 wisdom? Part of their reasoning in making the change was for stuff like torches, pots and clickies, but they somehow couldn't see how this would affect other melee classes?

They are fixing it, great, in record time, but the question is more why they keep putting this stuff in, in the first place. Take the madstone change out of the update, and nearly everyone is excited about it, and it goes a long way toward repairing some of the damage in the last couple of updates. (other than the complaints about Ioun stones and the change to deadly weapons)

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Because they're broken, and have been for quite some time.  Of course they're sought after by everyone - being able to proc the same effect on yourself twice isn't something that should happen.  It's kind of the opposite of something that should happen, in fact. 

While they were changing it, they figured they'd make them less of a pain in the ass and just penalize spellcasters rather than making it impossible to cast spells (or UMD scrolls, or use a ton of different pots, or....) 

They went around it the wrong way.  They admit that they went about it the wrong way and they're trying to get the community to help them do it right.  And rather than recognize that, people want to whine like a bunch of Shades because someone stole their double rage.  The only reason that people aren't just lining up to make fun of Shade is because unlike when they fixed the Barbarian Past Life, this actually affects them and they're selfish little bitches.  Sad

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Jan 28th, 2012 at 1:37am:
Because they're broken, and have been for quite some time.  Of course they're sought after by everyone - being able to proc the same effect on yourself twice isn't something that should happen.  It's kind of the opposite of something that should happen, in fact. 

While they were changing it, they figured they'd make them less of a pain in the ass and just penalize spellcasters rather than making it impossible to cast spells (or UMD scrolls, or use a ton of different pots, or....) 

They went around it the wrong way.  They admit that they went about it the wrong way and they're trying to get the community to help them do it right.  And rather than recognize that, people want to whine like a bunch of Shades because someone stole their double rage.  The only reason that people aren't just lining up to make fun of Shade is because unlike when they fixed the Barbarian Past Life, this actually affects them and they're selfish little bitches.  http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Smoak.png 

But... but... how else do you justify going back into content you know you're going to roflstomp with impunity unless you're a complete retard? Think of the farmers man, think of the farmers!

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #38 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 2:21am
Print Post  
Disable all metamagics while madstoned, problem solved.

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 2:45am
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Jan 28th, 2012 at 2:21am:
Disable all metamagics while madstoned, problem solved.

Ooh. I like this idea. My WF FvS hates you for it, but it still sounds fair.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #40 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Quote:
Ooh. I like this idea. My WF FvS hates you for it, but it still sounds fair.

I posted this suggestion on the other forums and some of the responses make my head hurt.

"But paladins wont be able to extend their spells anymore!"

"What about self healing classes, they can't metamagic their healing spells anymore"

It was the simplest solution I could come up with, not as simple as some people, obv.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #41 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 4:05am
Print Post  
I think the disabling of Metamagics is a pretty good solution.

I'm still confused at the people that are arguing against an option that gives them the exact same options they had before + being able to cast at reduced efficiency when they couldn't at all before.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 5:32am
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 4:05am:
I think the disabling of Metamagics is a pretty good solution.

I'm still confused at the people that are arguing against an option that gives them the exact same options they had before + being able to cast at reduced efficiency when they couldn't at all before.

Pretty much. Either that, or just invert Efficient Metamagic if they can't figure out how to turn em off.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 9:49am
Print Post  
This gem was on the Lama forums. Sometimes, people only get what they asked for.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?&postid=4283746#post4283746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therrias

How many of your changes are unintentional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFloyd

Depends on how you look at it.

Take madstone boots for example. That began life as a request from Shade who complained, when playing Crystal Cove, that he couldn't use torches & teleporters. Behind the scenes, these two mechanics were really spellcasting. I filed a bug to make madstone boots work in this situation. Did I intend or expect the item to be changed in the way it was? No. Heck, the designer who made the change didn't exactly anticipate the results.

Sometimes a change is intentional on the part of the person who made the change, but not the team/management as a whole. Again, having stuff go out earlier to Lamannia means more stuff will show up there before it's formally reviewed.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Wezergistan
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 3:01pm:
OR FOR FUCK SAKE, they can fix the stupid as workaround hack code that turned everything into a spell action.  All potions used to work like guild pots until they wanted to make it so you could use them on other people then they changed them to fucking spells.  What they should have fucking done is modify the GD engine to create a new action type.  To this fucking day, anything that's an action is a fucking spell.  Clickies, pots, torches....    FIX THE FUCKING ENGINE so it supports no spell actions.  But NO.  This is fucking Turbine and their fucking clown management.  Instead, they use fucking hack workarounds for every goddamn thing and the wonder why shit breaks or doesn't FUCKING work as expect half the fucking time.  Why constant bugs and exploits?  BECAUSE the entire fucking game is a string of GOTO statements and //HACK:  Revisit Later comments are on 75% of the function calls.

blah blah blah... and yet they are successful programers and you are stuck at home mooching on welfare checks and playing games in your basement.  Fucking loser.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Reply #45 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:37am
Print Post  
This has potential for mild amusement.

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Wezergistan wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:29am:
blah blah blah... and yet they are successful programers and you are stuck at home mooching on welfare checks and playing games in your basement.  Fucking loser.

Projecting Troll is projecting really just a fucking moron.

JDollar wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

JDollar wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:15am:
To put in DnD terms Grace is a CR 60 EE Ball Busting Bitch

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:43am
Print Post  
My vote is really that they just leave the boots as is. So you have to swap them out for certain quests? Oh no, that's not at all like any other quest in DDO, where you might have to swap out your guards/weapons/etc. You can't cast spells while wearing them? That's part of the balance of them - you get one great thing for one purpose, but you give up something else. I've wanted a pair for my rogue, but I also know I wouldn't wear them all the time because sometimes I need my UMD. I assume there will come a time that I need to toss a scroll, I'll be madstoned, and I'll go "oh fuuu- *ding*" and that's okay. That's the risk you take. If the issue was really that the rages stack, they wouldn't be trying to make sure the rage is doubled to make up for it, and they would have addressed it a loooonnnngggg time ago.

This is just "hey let's make it work in challenges always!" and fucking it up. But come on. If you want to run torches, then don't wear the boots. Much simpler fix.

she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:43am:
I assume there will come a time that I need to toss a scroll, I'll be madstoned, and I'll go "oh fuuu- *ding*" and that's okay.

You of all people really need a pair or two. It would give you a plausible excuse. Ding. Your party member Gracana has died.

"Sorry, it was the madstones, couldn't UMD a scroll"

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Eh, I don't actually die more than anyone else anymore. And there seems to be some kind of curse in which anyone in a party that teases me about probably dying will die within the next two minutes. Ask Stainer, Gawna, Oak, and Eric.

she's Kmack's property

Quote:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint