Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Pathfiner UMD question (Read 240 times)
livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Pathfiner UMD question
Feb 8th, 2012 at 9:40am
Print Post  
My party just reached lv 3, and my Bard is taking a Pally level (ALWAYS wanted to do that in DDO, but cant, but no alignment restriction on bards in PF)

Anywho. We found a wizard spell book at the end of last secession.  I can't find anywhere that allows me to UMD this to cast spells out of a spell book.  We don't have an arcane caster in the group.  It seems to fit that finding a Wiz spell book would allow him to transcribe the spell, but not cast it until he has rested, so it would not give us the ability to cast anything.

The other part is that Bards have some Arcane spells.  And we have spontaneous casting for our know spells.  Would it allow me to know more spells if the spell book contains something that is on the bard spell list (and I could cast that level spells)?
Am I understanding this right?  We mainly use just core stuff, but if the answer is somewhere else that would be useful.

Thanks

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Re: Pathfiner UMD question
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Wizards learn their spells in a completely different way from Sorcerers and Bards, and their spellbooks would be completely useless to a non-Wizard.  At least, in D&D, I'm not sure about Pathfinder.

I remember in 2nd ed, you could cast a Wizard spell out of a spellbook like it was a scroll, but it would only work once.  You might be able to find a similar rule.  Other than that, it should be worth some good GP if you can find a Wizard that's high enough level to have the GP but low enough level to care about a shitty low-level spellbook.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Re: Pathfiner UMD question
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
UMD does nothing for you in this case.  A Bard's spellcasting is completely different than a Wizard's, so the spellbook can't help there.  A spellbook is not a scroll, so UMD can't help there.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint