Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Why is it that players find this but QA/devs don't (Read 40050 times)
Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Re: Why is it that players find this but QA/devs don't
Reply #125 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Mar 20th, 2012 at 7:03pm:
And what would the game be without those encounters?
The game is the sum of the encounters and the RP that fills the space between them.  As there is nothing to "powergame" in the RP portion, the encounters are the important part for powergamers, which you claim to be.

I love how you go from attacking the competent players for declaring there are victory conditions as if we think the game is all about combat then turn around and call it a series of encounters to grind on. But then, basket weavers were never known for making sense.

Also, if you think there's nothing to optimize outside of combat you're doing it wrong.

Quote:
And any good DM will throw encounters at you regardless of whether or not you follow their theoretical plan.  The retards get the encounters that were scripted.  The creative players get encounters that were tossed at them more spontaneously out of necessity.
Either way, the game is played encounter to encounter, with filler between for RP.

I don't even have to add anything here.

Quote:
You said earlier that "the war will be won by the powergamers."  So what happens after you win the war?  The campaign continues, and you haven't really "won" anything because the game isn't over.  It continues on, and then it continues some more, and then it continues even further.  Hell, even if your character doesn't retire and instead becomes a god, there are rules for playing as a god, so the game continues even then.

What happens is you accomplish your goals, and you win. No silly basket weaver, it's not an endless grind.

Quote:
It never truly ends, which is why it is not a game that can be won.
You can win small victories along the way, but you can not win the game.

We're not talking about DDO or any other MMO, you do know that right?

Quote:
In other words, you "win D&D" when your in-game actions give you a sense of personal validation and accomplishment that's missing from your real life.

Or when you have a good time.

Or when you tell a good story.

Two of those three make you a basket weaver, though.

Bzzt! Wrong!

You win D&D when you accomplish character goals. And yes that involves winning encounters, but not in the endless grind sense.

Though it's obvious you're a basket weaver from the way you presented it, especially when you indicated that somehow success is not enjoyable and failure is.

Quote:
You'd think so. Until you realize that he was a Dwarf. Who's ki weapons were Circular Tower Shields. Who had them enchanted to absorb and store spells for later use. I broke many a DM before I finally had to become one. Smiley

As I said, suicidal. And a dumbass gimp. Using tower shield = rofflestomp me now kkthxbye.

Epoch wrote on Mar 21st, 2012 at 5:17am:
I read a lot of bullshit in your post.  Okay, let us take out everything but the encounters.  What do you have then? Oh snap, I guess that means they really are just a part of the game.  Also, powergamers do more then just encounters.  Have you ever heard me and Hi Welcome go on about encounters? They are boring, droll, just places to farm xp so you can get to the power level you desire to accomplish the destruction of the realms.

I know reading comprehension is hard, but try it sometime.  You should blame your parents, I know I do.

If he were capable of learning and reading comprehension he wouldn't be a basket weaver. He seems to think of it as an MMO grind though with no end and no accomplishing goals. Which is typical for the idiots that think their games are all about story when really, they're just mindless hack and slash fests but is in no way true at all.

Thing is, encounters can be interesting, but idiots like him lack the necessary competence to make them in depth enough to be interesting and even then they are still just a means to an end and not the goal itself. You're not killing the Pedo Clown just to kill him, you're killing him because the sick fuck took your sister.

Flav wrote on Mar 21st, 2012 at 9:34am:
I forgot how many time I've started my DMing of the day by giving the obvious phrase to my players :

"Your in <insert approriate city here> what do you do ?"

The next 4 to 8 hours being the result of their answer to that question.

Frogs > Basket Weavers.

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #126 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
I have decided that my goal in D&D is to weave baskets so incredibly awesome that I can get a dragon to lay waste to my enemies in exchange for them.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #127 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Mar 21st, 2012 at 12:00pm:
I have decided that my goal in D&D is to weave baskets so incredibly awesome that I can get a dragon to lay waste to my enemies in exchange for them.

I'm not sure if I should point out you're taking your own avatar's advice or should be surprised you actually managed to make them sound useful for something other than helping to equip the rest of the party.

When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #128 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Mar 21st, 2012 at 12:05pm:
I'm not sure if I should point out you're taking your own avatar's advice or should be surprised you actually managed to make them sound useful for something other than helping to equip the rest of the party.

Well I would need to do it at a very low level where dragons are a relatively serious threat. Also it does not need to be a dragon, I just want to be able to get the services of something very powerful in exchange for nothing other than a basket. A really, really well made basket.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #129 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Mar 21st, 2012 at 11:24am:
Bzzt! Wrong!

You win D&D when you accomplish character goals. And yes that involves winning encounters, but not in the endless grind sense.

Though it's obvious you're a basket weaver from the way you presented it, especially when you indicated that somehow success is not enjoyable and failure is.

I get that "accomplish character goals" sounds better than "pretend not to be a pathetic loser for a night" but let's take a minute and figure out why we care about those character goals:

1) they make for a good story. An excellent reason, as I said before.

2) they make for a fun evening. Again, fun is the ultimate goal here. Why play a game otherwise? (As an aside, success can be lots of fun, as can failure. Both can suck, too, much like your mother.)

3) in character accomplishments make you feel big in the pants. There's nothing wrong with this, it's one of the main reasons people play D&D.

But herpaderping about "character goals" as though what happens in your imaginary fantasy adventures actually matters is the mark of a hugely insecure manchild.

I mean, look at you. You're insulting people who play a game, for fun, because they're doing it wrong? You're so desperate to defend powergaming as the only way to have fun, because if it's not, then you'd have to think about why you get your fun from powergaming. And you're not about to do that.

IP Logged

ZeroBoost
Titan Demolisher

res ipsa loquitur

Reply #130 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Long winded response in 5, 4, 3, 2...

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #131 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Oh qwerty, UMADBRO because you aren't apowergamer?

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #132 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
as you all have already used all good insults.

Aeolwind wrote on Mar 19th, 2012 at 3:31pm:
I'm certain this couldn't be further from the truth.

My own personal favorite is "fudge packing Keebler elf."

fnord

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #133 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
I think one of the many problems in this thread is all of the people who assume "Encounter" means "Fight against monsters."

Buying a new ranseur at the polearm shop is an encounter, ffs.  I can't think of virtually anything that happens in a D&D game that isn't an encounter, except for the players sitting and talking amongst themselves.  And even then.

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #134 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Mar 21st, 2012 at 4:52pm:

Alas, you have unmasked my secret shame. Now I cry.  Cry

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #135 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Mar 21st, 2012 at 12:23pm:
Well I would need to do it at a very low level where dragons are a relatively serious threat. Also it does not need to be a dragon, I just want to be able to get the services of something very powerful in exchange for nothing other than a basket. A really, really well made basket.

And why doesn't it just kill you?

Quote:
I get that "accomplish character goals" sounds better than "pretend not to be a pathetic loser for a night" but let's take a minute and figure out why we care about those character goals:

Cute basket weaver. I don't want to keep him though.

Quote:
But herpaderping about "character goals" as though what happens in your imaginary fantasy adventures actually matters is the mark of a hugely insecure manchild.

What it means is that either you're accomplishing character goals, or you're not playing because you're a gimp and died. Again. It's cute you try and displace your basket weaver induced incompetence onto others, but the simple fact is people play games to play them and not to watch others play them.

Quote:
I mean, look at you. You're insulting people who play a game, for fun, because they're doing it wrong? You're so desperate to defend powergaming as the only way to have fun, because if it's not, then you'd have to think about why you get your fun from powergaming. And you're not about to do that.

Powergaming is necessary to survive and enjoy campaigns. Suck it basket weaver bitch. It's also enjoyable in its own right, but that doesn't change it being necessary. Does it hurt your special feelings that I'm an elitist jerk who is saying mean things about you on the Internet? You should blame your parents.

Epoch wrote on Mar 21st, 2012 at 4:52pm:

Remember kids, a basket weaver is a powergamer who lacks the skill, knowledge, and desire to actually be able to powergame. We are the peanut butter, because they're jelly.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #136 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Mar 21st, 2012 at 5:55pm:
We are the peanut butter, because they're jelly.

Just quoting this in case you come to your senses and realize precisely how pathetic this was.

IP Logged

Dracosanct
Ex Member

Reply #137 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:

1) they make for a good story. An excellent reason, as I said before.

2) they make for a fun evening. Again, fun is the ultimate goal here. Why play a game otherwise? (As an aside, success can be lots of fun, as can failure. Both can suck, too, much like your mother.)

3) in character accomplishments make you feel big in the pants. There's nothing wrong with this, it's one of the main reasons people play D&D.

This.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #138 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Mar 21st, 2012 at 7:18pm:
Just quoting this in case you come to your senses and realize precisely how pathetic this was. 

Im sure he never made that one up but I think its so pathetic that its brilliant and will now be using it during encounters

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #139 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Remember fuck trophies, a basket weaver is a powergamer who lacks the skill, knowledge, and desire to actually be able to powergame. We are the peanut butter, because they're jelly.

I only have one word for you, and that word can be found here.
OK, two words.  The other one can be found here.

Oakianus wrote on Mar 21st, 2012 at 5:15pm:
I think one of the many problems in this thread is all of the people who assume "Encounter" means "Fight against monsters."

That is the only kind of encounter because Squelch says so.

IP Logged

Dracosanct
Ex Member

Reply #140 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Mar 21st, 2012 at 7:39pm:
OK, two words.  The other one can be found here

It's funny because it's true!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Feldspaar
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #141 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Mar 21st, 2012 at 5:15pm:

Aren't you the one who differentiated between RP and 'encounters?'

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #142 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Cute basket weaver.

I said my piece in the last post, so I won't repeat myself here. I just want to clarify that there's nothing wrong with powergamers. There's nothing wrong with basket weavers, either. There is, however, something wrong with you. I'll address a couple of your more retarded points below.

What it means is that either you're accomplishing character goals, or you're not playing because you're a gimp and died. Again. It's cute you try and displace your basket weaver induced incompetence onto others, but the simple fact is people play games to play them and not to watch others play them.

I see. It's not that you want to powergame, and experience the vicarious thrill of success that you lack in real life, it's that the mean ol' DM is forcing you to powergame, by killing off characters. Here's a radical proposal: sit down and have a direct, honest conversation with your DM and playgroup, you autistic fuckwit. We're not talking about DDO, the DM is not actually a computer. Have a simple conversation about what everyone would like to get out of the game, and make that happen. If the only way you can communicate with your DM about the game is by writing "Greenbound Summoning" on your character sheet, please seek professional help.

The other possibility, of course, is that you game with killer DMs because you actually do like powergaming as an ends, not as a means. Because you enjoy it. But as we've seen, you won't admit that. It's the dishonesty that I have an issue with here, not the power fantasy. I mean, I play DDO, I get it.

Remember fuck trophies, a basket weaver is a powergamer who lacks the skill, knowledge, and desire to actually be able to powergame. We are the peanut butter, because they're jelly.

Wait, you think powegaming in pen and paper D&D is somehow difficult? Are you retarded? I guess it's a challenge to keep a big penis melee character viable after the first few levels, you have to do silly things like take "weapon proficiency: spiked chain" and trip everything, or take "mounted combat" and charge everything with a lance for crazy damage multipliers.

But there's an easier way. Just write wizard on your character sheet, and cast some spells that fucking kill people. Or if you must hit people with a stick to feel good about yourself, play a druid. You turn into a stronger combatant than the average fighter. Hell, your animal companion is better than the average fighter. Oh, and you're a full caster too. In a pinch, cleric or sorcerer will activate easy mode as well. I generally try not to go overboard with these classes, though, because the game isn't much fun for me when it's that easy. But if that's what you get off on, more power to you.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #143 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Mar 21st, 2012 at 7:18pm:

I agree, you are quite pathetic.

I only have one word for you, and that word can be found here.
OK, two words.  The other one can be found here.

It's ok little basket weaver, you'll be able to live up to someone's standards eventually!

You should blame your parents.

Quote:

Someone is bad at context.

Feldspaar wrote on Mar 22nd, 2012 at 1:15am:
Aren't you the one who differentiated between RP and 'encounters?'

Basket weavers aren't known for consistency or coherency. That's why he's now talking about series of encounters to grind on which is one of the precise things he attacked me and other powergamers because he claimed we were doing them.

Quote:
I said my piece in the last post, so I won't repeat myself here. I just want to clarify that there's nothing wrong with powergamers. There's nothing wrong with basket weavers, either. There is, however, something wrong with you. I'll address a couple of your more retarded points below.

Nothing wrong with basket weavers? Bzzt! Wrong.

Quote:
I see. It's not that you want to powergame, and experience the vicarious thrill of success that you lack in real life, it's that the mean ol' DM is forcing you to powergame, by killing off characters. Here's a radical proposal: sit down and have a direct, honest conversation with your DM and playgroup, you autistic fuckwit. We're not talking about DDO, the DM is not actually a computer. Have a simple conversation about what everyone would like to get out of the game, and make that happen. If the only way you can communicate with your DM about the game is by writing "Greenbound Summoning" on your character sheet, please seek professional help.

Classic basket weaver, blame the DM or anyone else really for simple facts of the game.

Here's the simple facts of the game. If you like powergaming great, make your character solid, they don't die like a fucking gimp all the time and then go from there. If you don't like it too fucking bad. Your options are to do it anyways, or die repeatedly until you do it anyways.

It's fucking hilarious you're trying to play the autistic card when you're the one clearly having difficulty following a simple chain of thought. Perhaps I should be less subtle for you? Nah, I like confusing people too fucking dense to read into things.

You should blame your parents.

Quote:
The other possibility, of course, is that you game with killer DMs because you actually do like powergaming as an ends, not as a means. Because you enjoy it. But as we've seen, you won't admit that. It's the dishonesty that I have an issue with here, not the power fantasy. I mean, I play DDO, I get it.

The other possibility, of course is that me liking or not liking powergaming is immaterial to its necessity you autistic, basket weaving fuckwit.

Now you call any D&D DM that actually plays D&D a "killer DM", as if they are specifically out to get you simply by playing the game but no one takes you Occupy Basket Weaver fuckwits seriously.

All that said I kind of want a basket weaver in my group now just so I can feast upon their tears of despair as their gimps are slaughtered again and again for the betterment of the rest of the party. Sure, stacks of raise scrolls actually have a significant cost in PnP, unlike DDO. It's still totally worth it.

Quote:
Wait, you think powegaming in pen and paper D&D is somehow difficult? Are you retarded? I guess it's a challenge to keep a big penis melee character viable after the first few levels, you have to do silly things like take "weapon proficiency: spiked chain" and trip everything, or take "mounted combat" and charge everything with a lance for crazy damage multipliers.

If you think that's all there is to it you're showing your basket weaverness again. Being super spiked chain focused means you're barely relevant vs anything that doesn't shut you down (most things) and lol mounted combat.

Quote:
But there's an easier way. Just write wizard on your character sheet, and cast some spells that fucking kill people. Or if you must hit people with a stick to feel good about yourself, play a druid. You turn into a stronger combatant than the average fighter. Hell, your animal companion is better than the average fighter. Oh, and you're a full caster too. In a pinch, cleric or sorcerer will activate easy mode as well. I generally try not to go overboard with these classes, though, because the game isn't much fun for me when it's that easy. But if that's what you get off on, more power to you.

Your basket weaver is showing again. But then, what do you expect from someone whose username is literally hitting keys in sequence?

Go ahead, do it. I fucking dare you bitch.

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #144 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
This is awesome, it's like an insult echo chamber!

Hi Welcome wrote on Mar 22nd, 2012 at 11:13am:
Nothing wrong with basket weavers? Bzzt! Wrong.

So you're doubling down on the Fun Police argument? I said my piece on this already.

It's fucking hilarious you're trying to play the autistic card when you're the one clearly having difficulty following a simple chain of thought. Perhaps I should be less subtle for you? Nah, I like confusing people too fucking dense to read into things.

Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior.

Again, I'd be remiss if I didn't urge you to seek professional help. You're probably young enough that someone else is paying for your health insurance, so take advantage!

The other possibility, of course is that me liking or not liking powergaming is immaterial to its necessity you autistic, basket weaving fuckwit.

Yes, that was the first possibility I listed. There were only two, I'm pretty sure even you can count that high. I don't know why you'd think "But, what about that other thing you just said!" is some kind of scathing rebuttal, but hey, maybe you have brain damage, I shouldn't judge.

But then, what do you expect from someone whose username is literally hitting keys in sequence?
You're insulting my username? Really?

Go ahead, do it. I fucking dare you bitch.
I did it two posts ago, this is just me having fun at your expense.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #145 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So you're doubling down on the Fun Police argument? I said my piece on this already.

It is wrong to weave baskets.

Quote:
Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior.

Again, I'd be remiss if I didn't urge you to seek professional help. You're probably young enough that someone else is paying for your health insurance, so take advantage!

Says the person who enters the thread to desperately defend incompetence. While you're blaming everyone else, you should blame your parents.

Quote:
Yes, that was the first possibility I listed. There were only two, I'm pretty sure even you can count that high. I don't know why you'd think "But, what about that other thing you just said!" is some kind of scathing rebuttal, but hey, maybe you have brain damage, I shouldn't judge.

Know what another standard trait of basket weavers is? Their arguments constantly shift. Like right here, what you're doing now.

Quote:
You're insulting my username? Really?

I did it two posts ago, this is just me having fun at your expense.

And you walked right into that one right after my specifically warning you it was a trap. You have just gone full Bazinga. You never go full Bazinga.

You see, "Hi Welcome" is chosen for the ironic humor value. You really do live up to just hitting keys in sequence. Of course I really can't blame you for not knowing this... after all, you probably took "Go ahead, do it. I fucking dare you bitch." as a literal invitation and not the warning it was intended as. It's ok. You and Diogenes can go read 1,000 page peer reviewed studies together. Sad

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #146 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Mar 22nd, 2012 at 7:02pm:
You see, "Hi Welcome" is chosen for the ironic humor value.

The fact that you have to explain it should be your first clue that it is neither ironic nor humorous.  It is also not nearly as cool as you seem to think it is, just like everything else that you post.

IP Logged

Deeds
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #147 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
This is now my favorite thread.

Also, penis.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #148 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Mar 22nd, 2012 at 7:07pm:
The fact that you have to explain it should be your first clue that it is neither ironic nor humorous.  It is also not nearly as cool as you seem to think it is, just like everything else that you post.

The only people he has to explain it to are the typical morons on here.  Which he has to do it constantly to.  I think the fault lies within the morons, not himself.  I know I know, it hurts.  You should blame your parents.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #149 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
This thread needs quote within quote Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Send TopicPrint