Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic RIFTS (not "Rift") (Read 743 times)
Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

RIFTS (not "Rift")
Mar 22nd, 2012 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Has anyone played this Palladium PnP game? Doesn't seem to have been very popular. But I really enjoyed it. It's kind of a catch-all fantasy/scifi setting with a kind of tech v magic overarching story.

When "Rift" came out I got excited.. Until I saw there was no relation at all..
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2012 at 12:52am by Meat-Head »  

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Deeds
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: RIFTS (not "Rift")
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Yep I played this, along with a lot of the Palladium games (Robotech, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT lmaoooo).

I haven't thought about this stuff for like 18 years isthisrealife.jpg

Also, penis.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 1:42am
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Mar 22nd, 2012 at 12:51am:
It's kind of a catch-all fantasy/scifi setting with a kind of tech v magic overarching story.

FF6 The MMO?

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 10:45am
Print Post  
I played that back in the mid 90s when I was in HS.

Thanks for making me feel old.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 10:51am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Mar 22nd, 2012 at 10:45am:
I played that back in the mid 90s when I was in HS.

Thanks for making me feel old.

...me too except early 90's/late 80's.  Great RPG.  I always wished someone would pick up the license for an MMO.  There have been too few sci-fi mmo/cyberpunk based on original ideas.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2012 at 10:52am by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Played it a little late 80's.

Setting was cool, rules were hinky.

IP Logged

Diogenes
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 11:08am
Print Post  
I didn't really care for how they did vampires but overall played the crap out of it for a couple of years. Had a mind melter make it to level 12.

Introduced to it via the TMNT RPG.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Played it a little late 80's.

Setting was cool, rules were hinky.

The rules were disorganized in many areas. They revised that some later.

Also, as Dio mentioned, they didn't do vampires terribly well. (Though, again, this has been revised).

Mind melters were pretty sweet!

The company is still alive and kickin. There's a lot of books.

Google "Palladium Books".

There's even been talk of a movie for the last several years. Jerry Bruckheimer was in talks with them. Not sure where it's at now. But I know it's still getting kicked around.

The basic setting was a post-apocalyptic earth where magical ley lines had erupted all over and criss-crossed the globe. Where they intersected, there were periodic "rifts" that opened and allowed in "D-bees" (dimensional beings) from all kinds of places/dimensions. So earth becomes this huge melting pot with pockets of organization under such and such a power (epic magic user, elder dragon, demi-god, or coalition of tech-using humans, etc..)

I dug it with a shovel.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 12:16pm
Print Post  

Here's a scene where some adventureres are checkin out a ley line from up high at night. These were like magical high ways where your magic was boosted. So you never knew what you'd encounter along them. There was a whole class called "ley line walker" that had special abilities related to them.

There were some sweet classes. You had psionics, bionics, mutants, magic users.. There was something called a "juicer" that was a human augmented by some superdrugs contantly pumped into his veins. They only lived like 7 years at the most. There was another class called "crazy" where you had brain implants to buff you physically, but you had a psychosis of some kind as a result.

Just thinking about it is bringin' me back to some good times.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Dragons in that one? I seem to recall rolling up a dragon PC that I never got to play, because group interest waned for that game  Undecided

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Mar 22nd, 2012 at 12:18pm:
Dragons in that one? I seem to recall rolling up a dragon PC that I never got to play, because group interest waned for that game  Undecided

Not sure there was anything NOT in that game.

Yeah dragons were there and hatchlings were one of the core PCs (they actually called them RCC- racial character class-) Dragons were magic + psionic characters and could rip your face off. But they were kinda dumb (as hatchlings).
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2012 at 12:24pm by Meat-Head »  

IP Logged

Diogenes
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Mar 22nd, 2012 at 12:08pm:
Mind melters were pretty sweet!

Honestly it got kinda super overpowered when I was allowed to take telemechanics and go to phase world and..was it manhunter?

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Rifts is one of my fav PnP rpg's next to DnD  because it is just so very fleshed out with story and background. The bad of it is that there are too many rules/charts/rolls/checks/ect....
If you don't mind skimming those things down a bit then it can lead to a really fun and diverse game. Especially if you get the conversion book and bring in stuff from Hero's unlimited, Ninja's and Superspys, Rifts, ect. Still play it from time to time when my group lets me run it. It can be a pita to make a character.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
To me, Rifts was GURPS with style.

I'm a fan even if the rules were a bit hinky.  Of course, I also played and enjoyed Rolemaster, so I'm a bit of an outlier in my tolerance for hinky rules.

fnord

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
woody wrote on Mar 22nd, 2012 at 7:43pm:
Rifts is one of my fav PnP rpg's next to DnD  because it is just so very fleshed out with story and background. The bad of it is that there are too many rules/charts/rolls/checks/ect....
If you don't mind skimming those things down a bit then it can lead to a really fun and diverse game. Especially if you get the conversion book and bring in stuff from Hero's unlimited, Ninja's and Superspys, Rifts, ect. Still play it from time to time when my group lets me run it. It can be a pita to make a character.

Yes to all of this.

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Mar 22nd, 2012 at 7:48pm:
To me, Rifts was GURPS with style.

If you are familiar with the rifts story then I suggest getting and playing/running in this world. Takes place days before and during the cataclysm that created Rifts Earth. Its pre-coalition, ley line walker, all that. It can be a real good Last Stand or survival campaign. And if you are a fan of the lore it answers some questions.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
I only played Rifts once, and it was with a bunch of twinky twinks that twinkle.  It was...  not terribly interesting.  Tongue  So I don't have a great impression of the system, but I don't entirely blame the system for it.

IP Logged

Diogenes
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 6:57am
Print Post  
Taking Rifts as more of a Mad Max meets Call of Cthulhu made it more interesting for us.

IP Logged

LordPiglet
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Played it, ran a bear man that was literally too stupid to die.

DM was kind of hinky, still got the character sheet somewhere.  We pulled some really f'd up shit in that, but it was all good times.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #19 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 8:46pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #20 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
We ran Palladium, N&S and Rifts all.  Palladium RPG was probably the 2nd best Fantasy system that I'd played, and still ranks above 4th edition lol.  N&S was just damn fun, rolling a character took about 5 hours per person though.  And our N&S game branched into Rifts via my Tinker's BGCS crit fail roll on a teleportation device.

Nothing smexier than a Tinker, with a Glitterboy suit, and enough time to pimp it out.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #21 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Mar 23rd, 2012 at 8:46pm:

YES!  GBs owned. The ability to make OP PCs in that game knows no bounds. But a good GM could make it soo fun.

IP Logged

Gasoline
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Mar 23rd, 2012 at 8:52pm:
We ran Palladium, N&S and Rifts all.

This brings me back to high school, I had alot of fun playing these.

I made alot of new friends, just good times all in all. I remember the 1st time i saw people playing something other then Dnd and i wanted to smack them.

In the end though it was awesome and opened my eyes to alot of scifi stuff that i had never thought of as an RPG before.

IP Logged

JoJI
Korthos Resident

Reply #23 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 2:58am
Print Post  
I want to say I played this once. I was a Samus I think, got back to base, and a traitor shot me with a laser pistol when I got out of the suit for a couple thousand points of damage. No save, no AC, nothing. Just dead. Fuck that game.

I DM'ed the next DnD campaign.

I still don't know what YaBB is

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #24 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 3:40am
Print Post  
JoJI wrote on Apr 8th, 2012 at 2:58am:
I want to say I played this once. I was a Samus I think, got back to base, and a traitor shot me with a laser pistol when I got out of the suit for a couple thousand points of damage. No save, no AC, nothing. Just dead. Fuck that game.

I DM'ed the next DnD campaign.

Bad GM.  Pistols dont do damage in the thousands. But if you were not wearing any armor and it was an MDC weapon( which in a weird way could do damage in the thousands if you converted it to SDC but in an MDC world most SDC goes away or gets converted.) then you are toast. Another flub on GM(or player) for not knowing that most all O.C.C.'s have included equipment lists that have armor.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint