Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic RIFTS (not "Rift") (Read 727 times)
Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Re: RIFTS (not "Rift")
Reply #25 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
woody wrote on Apr 8th, 2012 at 3:40am:
Bad GM.  Pistols dont do damage in the thousands. But if you were not wearing any armor and it was an MDC weapon( which in a weird way could do damage in the thousands if you converted it to SDC but in an MDC world most SDC goes away or gets converted.) then you are toast. Another flub on GM(or player) for not knowing that most all O.C.C.'s have included equipment lists that have armor.

I agree bad DM, considering how long it takes to roll up a character I rarely chose to kill any.  But, even 1 point of MD offered you no chance at survival if it hit.  Even if you had enough SDC to 'qualify' as 1 MD, MD completely ignore it and obliterated it.  You had to have an MD rating to take MD damage.  Something with 30k 'sdc' takes 1 point of MD would be obliterated.  Concrete, for example, was not an 'MD rated' substance, and thus could only have SDC values assigned to it.  Metals on the other hand, like battle ships and air craft carriers 'could' potentially have MD values assigned to them and could survive an MD blast.

Got in an argument over the Hoover Dam being an MD structure or not and did a lot of searching.  Dams and types of bunkers could be considered MD structures, but side walks and general masonry or brick walls could not.  Base SAMUS pilot suits did not include a MD rating, thus 'splat' was the correct application of rules.

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #26 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Apr 8th, 2012 at 1:59pm:
I agree bad DM, considering how long it takes to roll up a character I rarely chose to kill any.  But, even 1 point of MD offered you no chance at survival if it hit.  Even if you had enough SDC to 'qualify' as 1 MD, MD completely ignore it and obliterated it.  You had to have an MD rating to take MD damage.  Something with 30k 'sdc' takes 1 point of MD would be obliterated.  Concrete, for example, was not an 'MD rated' substance, and thus could only have SDC values assigned to it.  Metals on the other hand, like battle ships and air craft carriers 'could' potentially have MD values assigned to them and could survive an MD blast.

Got in an argument over the Hoover Dam being an MD structure or not and did a lot of searching.  Dams and types of bunkers could be considered MD structures, but side walks and general masonry or brick walls could not.  Base SAMUS pilot suits did not include a MD rating, thus 'splat' was the correct application of rules.

Dont have access to my books at the moment but IIRC 1k SDC = 1 MDC. Again though in an MDC world SDC ceases to exist as a stat and gets converted to MDC or your log cabin gets totally and utterly destroyed by weakest Wilks laser pistol on the market. On an SDC world carrying a 1D4 MDC laser pistol is about the equivalent of having a 5" cannon in your pocket. And also, again, bad GM for killing a player on his first run though of a game.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #27 - Apr 8th, 2012 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
woody wrote on Apr 8th, 2012 at 4:12pm:
On an SDC world carrying a 1D4 MDC laser pistol is about the equivalent of having a 5" cannon in your pocket.

You are correct.  The general threshold we used was at least 3000 SDC to be considered hardened enough to 'act' like MDC.  Most standard armored vehicles carried around 1700 sdc or so.  We ran a Stargate-ish game out of Rifts, so jumping to non-MDC worlds was commonplace.  The premise that we went with was 'if this weapon does X, then no, a human should not survive it'  In the instance of a Wilk's, one shot unarmored was hot sweet death.  Even being near a Boom Gun firing carried a very high chance that you'd be killed or sucked along with the flachettes.

All the OCC's in Rifts had an MDC defense; be it magic, psionics, natural or technological, so we didn't consider this much of a problem.  However, when my Glitterboy landed in an alternate, yet present Earth, instead of the target timeworld, things certainly got interesting. 
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2012 at 5:06pm by Aeolwind »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint