Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Orien culture and Over Raided (Read 25883 times)
Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Orien culture and Over Raided
Mar 27th, 2012 at 6:59am
Print Post  
Smorgasbord of drama, jokes, some quite interesting insights into Orien culture. Have a read before it's sanitised.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=367048

We don't have many of the Orien folks on here, do we?

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Orien culture and Over Raided
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 8:02am
Print Post  
If we have even one, he still represents 20% of Orien anyway Cheesy

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 10:26am
Print Post  
I moved to Orien when it came out; I had been on Cannith for a while, after I left Khyber. I have a TR monk there Smiley

I left because of guilds like Over Raided, who seem like they would be all right guys, with a humorous name like that, but are, in fact, royal jackasses.

It wasn't so much the loot as it was getting into their groups at all; if you weren't one of the "approved" builds or pure, they would decline your request to join out of hand, and their attitude spread to any other guild that wanted to be L33T like them.

"Science makes godlike -- it is all over with priests and gods when man becomes scientific. Moral: science is the forbidden as such -- it alone is forbidden. Science is the *first* sin, the *original* sin. *This alone is morality.* ``Thou shalt not know'' -- the rest follows."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Slug
Shroud Slacker

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 10:42am
Print Post  
I play on Orien and I've only been in a party with someone in Over Raided once, seemed like an alright person, no arrogance or anything.

I almost never see them group with people outside their  guild (I guess you could read into that as being elitist jerks, but I don't). But since I never see them grief people, put anyone down, or otherwise jerk people around, they don't bother me. And there are a lot of people that do piss me off.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2012 at 10:50am by Slug »  

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 11:36am
Print Post  
it is unrealistic to expect people in pugs to follow the same loot-rules as a small tight-knit guild.

Everybody needs shit, nobody's needs are more important than anyone else's.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Feynman wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 10:26am:
It wasn't so much the loot as it was getting into their groups at all; if you weren't one of the "approved" builds or pure, they would decline your request to join out of hand, and their attitude spread to any other guild that wanted to be L33T like them.

Ummm...  so they should just take any old gimp in their groups out of charity? Like this one...

http://my.ddo.com/character/khyber/bendmybow/

or...

http://my.ddo.com/character/orien/osmiridium/

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 11:57am
Print Post  
I've never really had a problem with them - their evening shroud speed runs are the fastest completions available for puggers on the server. Here are my observations on OR.

They're not joking about efficiency and valuing their time. They don't pug much, but I've hit a few of normal shrouds which get posted by OR members after their nightly raids. On a slow day, there might be 5 minutes between the LFM going up and hitting the first portal. If you're the last to join, you have time to hit the nearest airship navigator to Meridia and still get inside before you're locked out, but not a minute more.

From everything I have seen, OR is a guild that is serious about optimizing their play in order to maximize their achievements and gear. They're hard-core powergamers. It isn't a secret.

I've seen Selina spend a lot of time in the harbour on her sorc during Risia, helping others with buffs (Vengeance777 in the thread, post in top of page 4). I've also seen idiots slagging her and her guild in general chat while she does that.

They mostly keep to themselves, although they'll leave their LFM up with just "OR" in the info block for much of the evening. That can be annoying since guild chat exists for a reason, but several of the end-game guilds on Orien do that kind of thing.

Last night , six of the eleven people in their guild raid group were anonymous. That is a very high ratio compared with any other guild-only LFM I have seen, and it says one of two things to me (or a bit of both) - they are either harassed, or else they don't want any interaction with anyone else on the server.

It seems that Keybreaker would love to see all of Orien work together as well and as efficiently as his guild does internally. It is good to have dreams, but internet forums are places where dreams tend to get brutally murdered.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 11:44am:
Ummm...  so they should just take any old gimp in their groups out of charity? Like this one...

http://my.ddo.com/character/khyber/bendmybow/

or...

http://my.ddo.com/character/orien/osmiridium/

Oh come on, I haven't played either of those characters in years, you can't judge them by modern standards.

Osmiridium would look like this today:

http://my.ddo.com/character/thelanis/handsmith/

And the new bendmybow is simply insane:

http://my.ddo.com/character/thelanis/bendmybow/

Egads, I haven't played on Khyber since 2009.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:02pm by Feynman »  

"Science makes godlike -- it is all over with priests and gods when man becomes scientific. Moral: science is the forbidden as such -- it alone is forbidden. Science is the *first* sin, the *original* sin. *This alone is morality.* ``Thou shalt not know'' -- the rest follows."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a bunch of pathetic whining and "Them was the good ol' days" and taking an edge case as some sort of representative case in order to fuel one's warped perceptions if you ask me.

The idea that no one on Orien wouldn't take an LDS that was handed to them after they passed a shard over sounds pretty fucking unlikely.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:08pm:
The idea that no one on Orien wouldn't take an LDS that was handed to them after they passed a shard over sounds pretty fucking unlikely.

Shards get passed freely in every run. It is the norm. I cannot recall ever hearing of one being sold on Orien.

Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:13pm:
Shards get passed freely in every run. It is the norm. I cannot recall ever hearing of one being sold on Orien.

I can't recall ever hearing of one being bought anywhere, but it was a pretty edge case.  The guy wasn't selling, he was doing what virtually anyone would do - giving a shard to someone who was desperate for a shard without expecting anything back in return.  When he got something in return that he didn't think he was going to get, however, he took the money and ran.  Which I'd imagine the majority of people who aren't already sitting on a large pile of in-game wealth would be likely to do.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:21pm:
Which I'd imagine the majority of people who aren't already sitting on a large pile of in-game wealth would be likely to do.

I agree with you.

If the guy couldn't afford to give the LDS, he wouldn't. There are people in game that are sitting on 30+ LDS and think nothing of giving/trading them away.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:26pm:
I agree with you.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Maxwell Edison wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:41pm:

This is officially my new favorite Ghostbusters reference.

ETA: And the biggest thing about that 'transaction' is that's the shit that I've seen a hundred times.  Even without offering anything up for it, the first person to bitch loudly about needing any given shard is likely to get it, even if there's someone else who needs it who hasn't spoken up.  No one wants to sit around and wait for shards to get rolled on and passed, so people tend to just say "Hey, so-and-so needed a shard, right?  Here you go, buddy." 

I definitely don't think that story sounds anything like someone rushing to get themselves an LDS, at least.   
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:53pm by Oakianus »  

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #14 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 12:13pm:

I typically pass them to someone random and let them deal with it.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Ironical the Bionicle
Waterworks Kobold

RAGE!

Reply #15 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Keybreaker, sig says Paladin (12pal/6ftr/2mnk), but is he good guy or dick??

Quote:
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4380582&postcount=83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khimberlhyte View Post
That Keybreaker guy. He's a roleplayer too. I cannot believe you haven't noticed.

Yes, watch me roleplay a sarcastic jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroks28 View Post
I know a few OR members and i get along with most of them but there are some i just hate... I won a roll on an encrusted ring and he gives it to the person who came in second on the roll and stated that i was a waste of his time although i lead the raid with minimal trouble. One other problem i had with OR members is when i allowed two of them in a run i was doing with 4 of my guild mates and we stated at the start we needed the bracers of the claw shard and it dropped to one of them and he looted it saying too bad and he needed it for his 4th toon that wanted it.

Wut? Sorry, my loot is your loot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khimberlhyte View Post
I'm pretty sure that some dead guys named Marx and Engels wrote a book about the fantasy you seem to have... But hey, keep living the dream, Comrade.

Sorry, Communism BAD, Capitalism GOOD. Might makes RIGHT. Survival of the FITTEST, and NO ONE else!!! GRRR... I see RED. RED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deahamlet View Post
YOU... YOU... YOU...

Maybe you SHOULD PUG more often. So you can learn what it means to group with strangers...

I was starting to think all the gossipy stuff I heard about OR was nothing but crazy wild exaggeration and maybe tad jealousy. I managed to have no issues overlooking the bad in my experiences with OR in favour of the positives, but posts like these just leave me with a bitter taste and wondering maybe I should check if someone from OR is in a raid group before I join.

Yes please. Also, ME... ME... MEEE... I obviously have no idea what it's like to PuG. I've only led HUNDREDS of PuG raids on Orien. Where do I get off not leading as many PuG raids as I used to??? Surely my own gameplay should never evolve. Apologies domina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbbOnFire View Post
I haven't bothered to learn the specifics of alchemical crafting other than scanning over the wiki a few times, because it's just not that relevant. I'm not going to be crafting any of those items, pretty much ever.

So if I were one of those newcomers that you mentioned, then I would most definitely loot everything that came up in my name.
First, because I'd have no idea when I might see it again. Second, because I'd have little clue of how valuable it was without having to tab out and read up on the wiki. Better safe than sorry -- throw it in the bag and read up on it later, don't make everyone wait around. That particular widget might never get to serve any useful purpose, other than as a souvenir.

???

Quote:
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4380582&postcount=83
But one attitude that completely baffles me is this one (forgive my unfair, mongrelized caricaturization):
I can't get into many endgame raids, so I'm going to take everything I can get whenever I can get it. Unless I absolutely can never conceivably use it, I will loot mine and roll on yours. I can't be bothered to look up DDOWiki and plan out what I need - that's tedious and boring; so if in doubt, I'll just take everything. I wish endgame guilds wouldn't be so elitist and open up their raids to the rest of us!

If the tables were turned, and you were the members of the elite guild - if you were the ones who dedicated time, resources, research, and experiment to build/gear/explore for the endgame raids, would you be eager to take a PuG or several PuGs even remotely resembling the above?

Alls I know fo' sho' is Stainer's only post in that thread is weaksauce.  and there are a lot of bitching bitches on Orion.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #16 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
I am enjoying that high quality thread.  Thanks for the link.

fnord

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Ironical the Bionicle wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 4:22pm:
Keybreaker, sig says Paladin (12pal/6ftr/2mnk), but is he good guy or dick??

Alls I know fo' sho' is Stainer's only post in that thread is weaksauce.  and there are a lot of bitching bitches on Orion.

Hi. Who are you, and why should we value your opinion in any way?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #18 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 4:38pm:
Hi. Who are you, and why should we value your opinion in any way?

Someone who butthurt over stainers weaksauce post.  I thought that was obvious.  Then again, that might be why you didn't mention it.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #19 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:13pm:
Someone who butthurt over stainers weaksauce post.  I thought that was obvious.  Then again, that might be why you didn't mention it.

I am trying to figure out why it was weaksauce... I was asking a genuine question.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #20 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:28pm:
I am trying to figure out why it was weaksauce... I was asking a genuine question.

I am sure he took it offensively and thought that making him butthurt was your plan all along.  He isn't butthurt though, because the post is weaksauce, therefore, worth mentioning so everyone knows he isn't butthurt.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #21 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:34pm:
I am sure he took it offensively and thought that making him butthurt was your plan all along.  He isn't butthurt though, because the post is weaksauce, therefore, worth mentioning so everyone knows he isn't butthurt.

Oh.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #22 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:35pm:
Oh.

I am an internet psychologist, I know these things.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #23 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:40pm:
I am an internet psychologist, I know these things.

Nice! Do I owe you money?

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #24 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:42pm:
Nice! Do I owe you money?

I always do the first one free.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint