Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Bags broken again - but this time differently (Read 5734 times)
Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Re: Bags broken again - but this time differently
Reply #25 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 9:40am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Apr 3rd, 2012 at 9:32am:
I am common and that is what I do!

Every character has a large bag for questing, and I have 5 large bags in the bank to sort it out into later.

I have different bags for everything!  In some cases, two, all of them larges.  Except Epochs, he has a gargantuan bag since he cannot hit anything.  I am merely hoping the weight of his bag will crush the mob when I jump at them.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #26 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Apr 3rd, 2012 at 9:40am:
I have different bags for everything!  In some cases, two, all of them larges.  Except Epochs, he has a gargantuan bag since he cannot hit anything.  I am merely hoping the weight of his bag will crush the mob when I jump at them.

Dreamler has a gargantuan bag, because as a monk, she zoomed around and picks everything up. Then I realized that it was BtC and I had a sad.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #27 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 10:05am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Apr 3rd, 2012 at 9:42am:
Dreamler has a gargantuan bag, because as a monk, she zoomed around and picks everything up. Then I realized that it was BtC and I had a sad.

Yeah, wish I was more observant when I bought the bag.  I was pretty sad to see it btc.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Merrick
DQ Assaulter

Reply #28 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Apr 2nd, 2012 at 8:06pm:
Wishful thinking. Turbine would have to have source code control in place.

Poor use of source control is the ONLY explanation for why old bugs keep cropping up weeks and months later in slightly different formats.

What's honestly most likely is that they're still pretending it's 1999 and using MS's Visual Sourcesafe.

Someone should really hand them a nice primer like this that discusses the basic concepts behind REAL version control instead of the crap from the 90's that hasn't been updated architecturally to perform modern version control properly.

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Apr 2nd, 2012 at 10:00pm:
Seems like he's putting it out there like he is in charge of development, and not just QA.

lol, yeah it is a pretty funny quote.

Head of QA basically saying hey I don't care about the quality of old things I just care about new things being added to the game (with no mention of quality also Smiley).  Oh yeah, and it is my call to make too...

As opposed to a real QA guy who would be pushing for resources constantly to improve quality and acting as a real gate keeper to stop junk code from being put back into builds over and over again.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #30 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Merrick wrote on Apr 3rd, 2012 at 12:04pm:
Someone should really hand them a nice primer like this that discusses the basic concepts behind REAL version control instead of the crap from the 90's that hasn't been updated architecturally to perform modern version control properly.

SVN? Real version control? Ahahahahaha.

Also, they're a game development company. I'd put money on them using Perforce.

And the product you use doesn't matter so much as the process. It's Turbine's process that's broken. They have no control over what gets into a particular build. I'd also put money on the bag bug being part of some dev's half-implemented redo of the bag code.

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
This just in...

Maj apparently has not been promoted to the head of the development.

However, Maj still managed to imply that someone else was to blame for not having assured that a quality product went out the door...of course he stated that he doesn't assign blame Smiley

IP Logged

Merrick
DQ Assaulter

Reply #32 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Apr 3rd, 2012 at 1:00pm:
SVN? Real version control? Ahahahahaha.

Also, they're a game development company. I'd put money on them using Perforce.

And the product you use doesn't matter so much as the process. It's Turbine's process that's broken. They have no control over what gets into a particular build. I'd also put money on the bag bug being part of some dev's half-implemented redo of the bag code.

Yeah, I wasn't recommending subversion so much as saying that unlike VSS it mostly follows the "more modern" principles adopted mostly programmer-industry-wide over a decade ago. In sourcesafe for example, you can't really make a proper merge while having two different people working on sections of code. It's lock-based and deletions of any kind well and truly fuck up the database, as does any sort of file renaming. If you want to work on both, say, an expansion and a patch at the same time you're left with using separate projects, which means copying files BETWEEN projects, which means NO record of what the fuck happened file history-wise in anything but the original project, which would really explain the sorts of problems Turbine has regularly.

They could very well be using Perforce or even something else but the basic "only one local copy allowed/merging is fraught with major problems" inherent in VSS *would* explain a lot, especially Maj. Mal's post. Tongue

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Cyr wrote on Apr 3rd, 2012 at 2:42pm:
This just in...

Maj apparently has not been promoted to the head of the development.

However, Maj still managed to imply that someone else was to blame for not having assured that a quality product went out the door...of course he stated that he doesn't assign blame Smiley

Situation normal, all fucked up.

IP Logged

Cauthey
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 11:16am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Apr 3rd, 2012 at 9:32am:
Every character has a large bag for questing, and I have 5 large bags in the bank to sort it out into later.

That's a smart way of doing things.  As it is right now, each of my Shroud'd characters has a GS mats bag, Epic-age at some point have another bag full of epic mess, etc.

I need to shift my stuff some, and keep all of the BtA mess in the bank, easily accessible by all characters.

Thanks, Dirty Uncle Stainer!  Cheesy

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #35 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Goddamn people are sucking MMs dick pretty hard.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2012 at 1:01pm by rest »  

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Apr 4th, 2012 at 1:01pm:
Goddamn people are sucking MMs dick pretty hard.

Yup, people are morons.

QA has done a piss poor job under him.  Exploits in patch after patch is insane.

To bad most people do not realize that despite him acting like he manages the content developers he is not a content developer and is QA.

I think if people understood that alot of what he talks about he has no say in people would be alot less forgiving when things which actually do involve his department are done poorly or given answers that amount to we are not going to do our job well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint