Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Monk DPS: stance? (Read 18975 times)
Siver
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Monk DPS: stance?
Reply #75 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Apr 17th, 2012 at 5:58pm:
Feel free to say GFY, live in a fire etc if I'm missing something obvious but if the DPS is about even regardless doesn't it come down to what else the stances do for you? And since Wind is only matching up DPS wise because of extra attacks and Fire is matching up because of Ki strikes and Str doesn't that just mean if you don't hit on a 2 Fire for the to hit and if you do Earth for the HP?

Problem with that is that Earth means you tank, thanks to Turbine's exceptionally carefully calculated threat management decisions.

Sure, some quests might be okay with the monk tanking (like, all of them, if you're a decent build and in a half assed group), but other times you'll get to see all kinds of "fun" as the "healer" screams at you because you're holding the attention of the big bad boss better than the 8 AC, 25% Fort, 15% Healing (as in, he found a way to take even LESS healing than should be possible) warforged barbarian with 5 more hp than you. Not that I've seen that happen or anything. Mainly because I was the one healing when I found out about the barbarian who broke the rules. (I'm sure it was just some silliness with a potency/ardor item not working properly, but I thought it was funny enough to remember apparently)

Also, you forgot about on hit effects, which favor wind. Sure, you should hopefully not have enough of them to matter much, but it may affect the decision sometimes.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #76 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 3:31am
Print Post  
The strength of fire comes in the +2 to-hit/dmg, and the big one, +1 ki per hit.  Taking your typical builds, H-orc gets the str bonus, and the ki you can get from items.  Throw on a stackable 10% doublestrike and you effectively beat the other builds.  You could go fire for an even higher str - but it really is a stance for ungeared monks.  Earth, I personally think is the best choice.  The problem is obviously that it means you are tanking.  Which can be very annoying to people that thinking a build with good hp, a decent to great healing amp, imp evasion, saves that only fail on a 1, and a threat modifier that means they will never lose aggro even if they go take a shit for 5 minutes with auto attack going is a bad thing.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Reply #77 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Since when is making noobs and basket weavers cry not a benefit?

The real question is, does 1/18th more on hit effects justify Wind, particularly considering the Con loss instead of gain? I say not really, and that's with a gimp Monk that used Wind.

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #78 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Shampoo is better, it cleans the hair...

nonononono!

Conditioner is better! It makes the hair shiny and smooth!

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #79 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 3:31am:
a threat modifier that means they will never lose aggro even if they go take a shit for 5 minutes with auto attack going is a bad thing

I do this regularly when tanking ToD on my barb

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #80 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 5:16am
Print Post  
JC wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 1:05pm:
I do this regularly when tanking ToD on my barb

When everyone is else is on suulo?  No offense to barbs, but taking aggro from them is easier then taking it from a s/b pally.  Seeing as to how pallys cannot hit anything, that is pretty sad.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #81 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 5:25am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Apr 19th, 2012 at 5:16am:
When everyone is else is on suulo?  No offense to barbs, but taking aggro from them is easier then taking it from a s/b pally.  Seeing as to how pallys cannot hit anything, that is pretty sad.

Agreed.

I take aggro when in Wind4 still from most Barbs if I'm not careful. Triple proc ToD will do that.

IP Logged

Infant
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #82 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 6:15am
Print Post  
Quote:
Agreed.

I take aggro when in Wind4 still from most Barbs if I'm not careful. Triple proc ToD will do that.

I take aggro from barBs AND earth monks in eDA on my rogue with Treason and three SB enhancements if I'm not careful and hit Haste Boost+Damage Boost too soon.

Anyone else cares to tell us how he is taking aggro too often?   Cheesy

Infant
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2012 at 8:54am by Infant »  

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #83 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 8:55am
Print Post  

Dark Knight builds hold threat just fine for paladins.

Most people who tank don't understand math. They either fall short in Incite (which is amazing considering how easy it is to get as S&B), their to-hit sucks (what do you mean sneak attack doesn't work when I'm tanking?!?), or they choose craptacular weapons to tank with.  Tanking in DDO is easier than any other MMO I've played.  Intimidate is just icing on the cake.

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #84 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 8:57am
Print Post  
I only intimidate when stainer makes it very, abundantly, mind-shatteringly clear that I should not intimidate.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #85 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Apr 19th, 2012 at 8:55am:
Dark Knight builds hold threat just fine for paladins.

Most people who tank don't understand math. They either fall short in Incite (which is amazing considering how easy it is to get as S&B), their to-hit sucks (what do you mean sneak attack doesn't work when I'm tanking?!?), or they choose craptacular weapons to tank with.  Tanking in DDO is easier than any other MMO I've played.  Intimidate is just icing on the cake.

The pally joke is beyond you I guess.  I am sure xeno and felgor will understand it a bit more.  Thanks for trying though.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #86 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 12:07pm
Print Post  

Yes when I am on sulu. I just need to make sure to came back every sixty seconds to re-frenzy, and once I get that lovely 30% hate amp ring I bet I won't even need to do that. You are probably just used to playing with barbarians who are too stupid to to get any kind of hate amp. I know I have seen tons of them in pugs.  Undecided

Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #87 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 4:31am
Print Post  
JC wrote on Apr 19th, 2012 at 12:07pm:
Yes when I am on sulu. I just need to make sure to came back every sixty seconds to re-frenzy, and once I get that lovely 30% hate amp ring I bet I won't even need to do that. You are probably just used to playing with barbarians who are too stupid to to get any kind of hate amp. I know I have seen tons of them in pugs.  Undecided

No, barbs just suck.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #88 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 4:31am:
No, barbs just suck.

Agreed.

IP Logged

longbolts
Dirty Sock

I Love Socks!

Reply #89 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Monk DPS?! LOL drink bleach nigger faggot

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint