Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) 38 Studios... all is not well in the Kingdom (Read 3122 times)
Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Re: 38 Studios... all is not well in the Kingdom
Reply #25 - May 27th, 2012 at 3:57am
Print Post  
Merrick wrote on May 26th, 2012 at 3:05pm:
"Struggling" is relative.

In the eyes of shareholders, the whole PC Video game industry is "struggling" compared to sports games on the ecksbawks and World of Warcraft.

It's struggling because the share return on investment is lower than the two digit number shareholders whine to have.

But the gaming industry ( and lots of other industry ) are in truth doing well... it's just that the income ratio of the shares is lower than what the institutions making today's world finance want to see.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - May 27th, 2012 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 27th, 2012 at 3:57am:
It's struggling because the share return on investment is lower than the two digit number shareholders whine to have.

Great point.  This is quite obvious when you see how many people are rushing to T-bonds that who's rate of return is close to zero when accounting for expected inflation.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - May 28th, 2012 at 11:43am
Print Post  
http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2012/05/28/demand_high_for_ga...

“We are taking advantage of the situation,’’ said Adam Mersky, spokesman for Needham’s Turbine Inc., one of Massachusetts’ biggest game makers, which attracted 300 candidates - including many from Schilling’s company - to a job fair Tuesday held down the street from the 38 Studios offices. “You’ve got to be aggressive if you want to find good people.’’

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #28 - May 28th, 2012 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Struggling indeed.  Grin

Though they can afford to hire people almost on a whim.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

wumpus
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - May 29th, 2012 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 28th, 2012 at 1:16pm:
Struggling indeed.  Grin

Though they can afford to hire people almost on a whim.

If you can't pay the debts, you are struggling.  I was also under the impression that they closed down Big Huge Games, the ones that made the game that represents their entire income (and also based where I'm from:( ).

Dying companies certainly hire on a whim.  They aren't concerned with getting the best person as it won't matter much longer anyway.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #30 - May 29th, 2012 at 11:27am
Print Post  
wumpus wrote on May 29th, 2012 at 11:21am:
If you can't pay the debts, you are struggling.  I was also under the impression that they closed down Big Huge Games, the ones that made the game that represents their entire income (and also based where I'm from:( ).

Dying companies certainly hire on a whim.  They aren't concerned with getting the best person as it won't matter much longer anyway.

Ever since WB purchased Turbine I have been expecting a new MMO offering from Turbine that uses one of WB's other properties.  The hiring spree they have been on feeds this theory for me.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #31 - May 29th, 2012 at 11:39am
Print Post  
wumpus wrote on May 29th, 2012 at 11:21am:
If you can't pay the debts, you are struggling.  I was also under the impression that they closed down Big Huge Games, the ones that made the game that represents their entire income (and also based where I'm from:( )..

They laid-off everyone at Big Huge Games too.  It's very fishy.  Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, released to a good deal of critical acclaim and even sold nearly a million copies.  Now, you figure at $60 per a copy... Publishers get around $27 per a copy so that's close to a $27 million dollar return less than 6 months ago. 

It makes you wonder...

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #32 - May 29th, 2012 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on May 29th, 2012 at 11:27am:
Ever since WB purchased Turbine I have been expecting a new MMO offering from Turbine that uses one of WB's other properties.  The hiring spree they have been on feeds this theory for me.

Don't forget Project Hendrix. It is still out there.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - May 29th, 2012 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on May 29th, 2012 at 11:39am:
Publishers get around $27 per a copy so that's close to a $27 million dollar return less than 6 months ago. 

Honestly, chump change.

This is the not the case of needed a few more months of runway. 38 Studios was a cash-burning machine — with some back-of-the-envelope stats and assumptions — it appears that the company’s salary and benefit costs alone were close to $3.4 million per month. Given that they had at least another year of development to go, if not more, then you can see the funding challenge. The notion that a few more million in tax credits was the solution is not rational.http://www.pioneerinstitute.org/blog/news/final-thoughts-on-38-studios/

And thats not counting lease costs, building rental ect, just labor costs per month.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #34 - May 29th, 2012 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on May 29th, 2012 at 12:05pm:
Honestly, chump change.

This is the not the case of needed a few more months of runway. 38 Studios was a cash-burning machine — with some back-of-the-envelope stats and assumptions — it appears that the company’s salary and benefit costs alone were close to $3.4 million per month. Given that they had at least another year of development to go, if not more, then you can see the funding challenge. The notion that a few more million in tax credits was the solution is not rational.http://www.pioneerinstitute.org/blog/news/final-thoughts-on-38-studios/

And thats not counting lease costs, building rental ect, just labor costs per month. 

..but realistically that's enough.  All they needed was to get a major studio, to back the MMO which was the point of Kingdoms.  It was a resume they could then take to publishers to get the big funding needed to drive the MMO's development.

It could be bluster but Schilling came out and said they had a studio in line to sign on until Chaffee took his vendetta public and scared off the studio. 

Quote:

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - May 29th, 2012 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Schillin has a big attitude.  I doubt many in the industry wanted to work with him.  Politicians lined up to give him money, because they loved pretending to be rock starts and hang out with Schilling.

But Shilling himself was hard to work with.  He was unwilling to part with any of the equity stake, and promised $1 million bonuses to the first 38 hires if the company became worth $1billion.  Hello Ego.  Its easy for him to say that someone was about to step in, but RI started crapping on the company AFTER it was going down.  No company was going to step in when Shilling is bouncing checks to the RI state government.

"He had massive ambitions. The company promised each of its original 37 employees a bonus of $1 million if 38 Studios reached $1 billion in value, a huge stretch for a start-up. By comparison, Warner Bros. agreed to pay as much as $160 million for Turbine Inc., one of the Boston area’s largest established video game companies."
http://articles.boston.com/2012-05-18/business/31767697_1_video-game-economic-de...

Remember this is a guy that can throw a leather ball hard and with great accuracy.  He has little other talent then being a bitch in the locker room, and no education or business sense
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2012 at 12:17pm by livefreeordie »  

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #36 - May 29th, 2012 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on May 29th, 2012 at 12:15pm:
Schillin has a big attitude.  I doubt many in the industry wanted to work with him.  Politicians lined up to give him money, because they loved pretending to be rock starts and hang out with Schilling.

But Shilling himself was hard to work with.  He was unwilling to part with any of the equity stake, and promised $1 million bonuses to the first 38 hires if the company became worth $1billion.  Hello Ego.  Its easy for him to say that someone was about to step in, but RI started crapping on the company AFTER it was going down.  No company was going to step in when Shilling is bouncing checks to the RI state government.

"He had massive ambitions. The company promised each of its original 37 employees a bonus of $1 million if 38 Studios reached $1 billion in value, a huge stretch for a start-up. By comparison, Warner Bros. agreed to pay as much as $160 million for Turbine Inc., one of the Boston area’s largest established video game companies."
http://articles.boston.com/2012-05-18/business/31767697_1_video-game-economic-de...

Your point...   huge promises based off success are standard.  I've been promised all expenses paid vacations, options, etc etc...if a company makes x number.  Sure, it's a lofty goal but lofty goals drive people.  As for willingness to part with shares, if you invested most of your personal wealth into building a company wouldn't you be reluctant to part with shares.   Zuckerman cut people out of shares at every opportunity...

Chaffee acted the part of scorned lover.  He was a shitty senator and a worse governor.  His actions were petty vengeance nothing more.  He wanted a soapbox to decry Carcieri from distract from the fact that he's failing on every front.

livefreeordie wrote on May 29th, 2012 at 12:15pm:
Remember this is a guy that can throw a leather ball hard and with great accuracy.  He has little other talent then being a bitch in the locker room, and no education or business sense

Schilling was not chief executive of the company. His title was founder, chairman, and executive visionary.

« Last Edit: May 29th, 2012 at 12:27pm by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Peechie
VoD Slasher

HellNo Kitty

Reply #37 - May 29th, 2012 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on May 29th, 2012 at 12:22pm:
Chaffee acted the part of scorned lover.  He was a shitty senator and a worse governor.  His actions were petty vengeance nothing more.  He wanted a soapbox to decry Carcieri from distract from the fact that he's failing on every front.

This

It hurts but I kinda like it!!! ~ Red m&m

IP Logged

Mithran
Baghdad Bob

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - May 30th, 2012 at 9:23am
Print Post  
I'm sorry, but I question how rational anyone is when looking to pay R. A. Salvatore more than a dime for his creative input on anything other than bad writing.

The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #39 - May 30th, 2012 at 9:33am
Print Post  
I like it when people call successful writers bad writers.  See, it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks about his writing.  Society deems it amazing, therefore, he is rich.  One day, people will realize that the masses actually declare what is good and bad, not critics.  How many books and movies are viewed as crap by critics and the public eats them up as the best thing ever?  Your opinion is equivalent to the shit I took this morning, no one cares.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #40 - May 30th, 2012 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 9:33am:
I like it when people call successful writers bad writers.  See, it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks about his writing.  Society deems it amazing, therefore, he is rich.  One day, people will realize that the masses actually declare what is good and bad, not critics.  How many books and movies are viewed as crap by critics and the public eats them up as the best thing ever?  Your opinion is equivalent to the shit I took this morning, no one cares.

Nods...

Quote:

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #41 - May 30th, 2012 at 9:40am
Print Post  
I should inform you all, I did have to not only turn on the fan, but open the windows and the door. 

You are welcome.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #42 - May 30th, 2012 at 10:15am
Print Post  

HAHAHHAHA

Awesome post.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Mithran
Baghdad Bob

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - May 30th, 2012 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Financial success does not a great (or good, for that matter) writer make. If you're seriously characterizing Salvatore as a 'great' writer, I'd say you haven't gotten out enough.

I've read probably twenty of his books, so I'm not saying his writing sucks because I'm unfamiliar with it.

The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

IP Logged

Mithran
Baghdad Bob

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - May 30th, 2012 at 10:19am
Print Post  

You certainly cared enough to address it, here. I appreciate your willingness to armor yourself in ignorance, though. You certainly won't be vulnerable to me.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #45 - May 30th, 2012 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Mithran wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 10:16am:
Financial success does not a great (or good, for that matter) writer make. If you're seriously characterizing Salvatore as a 'great' writer, I'd say you haven't gotten out enough.

I've read probably twenty of his books, so I'm not saying his writing sucks because I'm unfamiliar with it.

Sounds like he writes peanut butter.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #46 - May 30th, 2012 at 10:30am
Print Post  

Why have you read 20 of his books if he is a bad writer?

Quote:

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #47 - May 30th, 2012 at 10:33am
Print Post  

I don't think I said financial success makes a good writer.  I think I said, the masses decide what is good and what is not.  A lowly critic like yourself can say it is bad all you want.  To this I say, you still live in a preconceived narrow pathetic little world where your opinion is more important then the masses.  You think you know good writing, you don't.  The only thing you know is what you believe to be good writing.  From reading your posts I am afraid to say you even know what that is.  You think he is a bad writer, yet you read 20 books.  He is obviously a good enough writer to keep you reading his stuff.  Good enough, is still good.  Thank you for allowing me to break this down for you.  I know infallible logic isn't your specialty, fortunately for you, it isn't that hard to understand.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #48 - May 30th, 2012 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Mithran wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 10:19am:
You certainly cared enough to address it, here. I appreciate your willingness to armor yourself in ignorance, though. You certainly won't be vulnerable to me.

You call me ignorant, yet your posts reek of it, much like the shit I took.  You see how you are constantly compared to the abomination of a shit I took this morning? This is not a coincidence. 

Bad writing, bad movies, this is not your decision.  If he was actually bad, then he wouldn't sell.  Yet, he does sell, a lot.  In fact, his books have won awards.  For his target audience, he is an amazing writer.  To even try and deny that is fucking retarded.  Yet you keep trying.  The only ignorant one is you, and every post you make further increases this reality.  I can only hope it dawns on you before you make a fool of yourself.  I highly doubt that will come to pass.

Also, I don't care what your opinion is, I care that it is full of stupidity.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2012 at 10:41am by Epoch »  

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Mithran
Baghdad Bob

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - May 30th, 2012 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 10:38am:
You call me ignorant, yet your posts reek of it, much like the shit I took.  You see how you are constantly compared to the abomination of a shit I took this morning? This is not a coincidence. 

Bad writing, bad movies, this is not your decision.  If he was actually bad, then he wouldn't sell.  Yet, he does sell, a lot.  In fact, his books have won awards.  For his target audience, he is an amazing writer.  To even try and deny that is fucking retarded.  Yet you keep trying.  The only ignorant one is you, and every post you make further increases this reality.  I can only hope it dawns on you before you make a fool of yourself.  I highly doubt that will come to pass.

Also, I don't care what your opinion is, I care that it is full of stupidity.

The opinions of ignorant people don't matter to me, so your characterizations of my opinion bear as much significance as your shit, much like the validations of your opinion.

If you think Salvatore is a good writer, you need to read more.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint