Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) 38 Studios... all is not well in the Kingdom (Read 3184 times)
Invelios
VoD Slasher

Re: 38 Studios... all is not well in the Kingdom
Reply #50 - May 30th, 2012 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Mithran wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 11:13am:
If you think Salvatore is a good writer, you need to read more.

Good != Successful.

IP Logged

Peechie
VoD Slasher

HellNo Kitty

Reply #51 - May 30th, 2012 at 11:33am
Print Post  

Apparently you are missing the point that the first of his novels that you read was good enough to get you to read 19 more.

It hurts but I kinda like it!!! ~ Red m&m

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #52 - May 30th, 2012 at 11:46am
Print Post  
The opinions of ignorant people don't matter to me, so your characterizations of my opinion bear as much significance as your shit, much like the validations of your opinion.

You are apparently incapable of reading and comprehending simple forums posts so if I were you i would avoid making any suggestions on reading.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #53 - May 30th, 2012 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 11:28am:
Good != Successful.

This is how I feel about James Patterson.  Personally, I find his novels simple and predicable after about half way I have already figured out the twist.  However, he's wildly successful and people love his work.  Everyone has their own idea on authors and what is good to try and pigeon hole an author as bad because you personally don't like it is shortsighted.  There are critics who trash everything Steven King writes.

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #54 - May 30th, 2012 at 11:52am
Print Post  

What I am getting is that the only opinion on the matter that is relevant is yours?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #55 - May 30th, 2012 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
The opinions of ignorant people don't matter to me, so your characterizations of my opinion bear as much significance as your shit, much like the validations of your opinion.

90% of everything is crud.

Salvatore is still a better writer than an overwhelming percentage of the authors whose books are published (not even counting vanity publishing or self publishing).

Are there better writers?  Of course!  But that's very different than saying he's not a good writer.

I'll even go so far as to say that Mortal Combat was a good movie.  It wasn't a classic for the ages, but if you look at what that movie was made to do, it successfully achieved its objective and more.  It was entertaining and fun and that's better than most movies that are made.  That sounds like enough to qualify as a "good movie" to me.

And if someone can call Mortal Combat a "good movie" without literally rolling on the floor with laughter, then Salvatore certainly qualifies as a good author.  He's not Gabriel Garcia Marquez.  He's not Twain.  He's not Asimov.  But he's still good.

Edit Why do I care enough to post?  Mostly because I don't think that Mithran has demonstrated that he's good enough at anything to decide for other people whether someone else is "good".
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2012 at 12:22pm by popejubal »  

fnord

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #56 - May 30th, 2012 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Peechie wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 11:33am:
Apparently you are missing the point that the first of his novels that you read was good enough to get you to read 19 more.

That's what I got, too.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Mithran
Baghdad Bob

I Love Drama!

Reply #57 - May 30th, 2012 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 12:23pm:
That's what I got, too.

It was an estimate of the four or five volumes re Drizzt. I can say that I think I've read most published Fantasy/Sci-Fi.
I don't think I've recommended any, Eladiun, but I've been very specific in not speaking for anyone but myself. Despite your warning, I think I've already recommended "American Gods" so I can't abide by your recommendation.

The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #58 - May 30th, 2012 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
I read Salvatore's Drizzt stuff because I like a lot of his characters (Artemis Entreri, Bruenor Battlehammer, Jarlaxle, and Athrogate amongst others) and for the stories he comes up with. So in those respects, I find him to be a good "storyteller."

I do NOT find him to be a particularly good "writer" because I find his method/technique of describing combat excruciatingly boring and tedious. IMHO, if he were to make his combat descriptions more "short and sweet," he would be a much better "writer."

Some people, however, actually *like* the way he describes combat though so Salvatore is successful, evidently, because he appeals to multiple tastes. So I guess in that sense anyway, he's a good writer.

Mithran wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 1:30pm:
It was an estimate of the four or five volumes re Drizzt. I can say that I think I've read most published Fantasy/Sci-Fi.
I don't think I've recommended any, Eladiun, but I've been very specific in not speaking for anyone but myself. Despite your warning, I think I've already recommended "American Gods" so I can't abide by your recommendation.

I absolutely loved American Gods! Can't wait for it to be made as a movie!
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2012 at 1:38pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Peechie
VoD Slasher

HellNo Kitty

Reply #59 - May 30th, 2012 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 11:50am:
This is how I feel about James Patterson.  Personally, I find his novels simple and predicable after about half way I have already figured out the twist.  However, he's wildly successful and people love his work.  Everyone has their own idea on authors and what is good to try and pigeon hole an author as bad because you personally don't like it is shortsighted.  There are critics who trash everything Steven King writes.

Another wildly successful author with questionable talent (imo) is Dean Koontz.  I loved Watchers and still reread it occasionally.   I read 3 or 4 others because they were in my mother's library and I was stuck in bed and as far as I could tell, the rest of his books are pretty much the same story without the dog, very formulaic.  And here's the important part... I didn't enjoy his writing so I stopped reading his books.

RA Salvatore, like both Patterson and Koontz, writes brain candy.  If you're expecting a life changing read, you're peering up the wrong bookspine.  If you're basing an opinion on the Drizz't/FR drivel, keep in mind that even he got tired of writing those novels but the demand (and the contract) was there so we got a glut of those.  Even being a fan of RAS, I never finished reading the final series of trilogies.  Outside of FR, he still writes a decent story.  The Spearwielder's Trilogy, The Demonwars Saga and The Highwayman are all books I would recommend to fans of the genre.

It hurts but I kinda like it!!! ~ Red m&m

IP Logged

Mithran
Baghdad Bob

I Love Drama!

Reply #60 - May 30th, 2012 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 11:52am:
What I am getting is that the only opinion on the matter that is relevant is yours?

I'm sorry, Stainer. Was I supposed to give someone else's opinion?

The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #61 - May 30th, 2012 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Peechie wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 1:37pm:
Another wildly successful author with questionable talent (imo) is Dean Koontz.  I loved Watchers and still reread it occasionally.   I read 3 or 4 others because they were in my mother's library and I was stuck in bed and as far as I could tell, the rest of his books are pretty much the same story without the dog, very formulaic.  And here's the important part... I didn't enjoy his writing so I stopped reading his books.

I can agree he is off and on.  I like his Odd Thomas stuff and the Frankenstein series.  Intensity is also one of my favorites.

Quote:

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #62 - May 30th, 2012 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Mithran wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 1:43pm:
I'm sorry, Stainer. Was I supposed to give someone else's opinion?

It would probably be better served if you prefaced it with "I feel he isn't that great of an author, despite the obvious success he enjoys writing books. My own works, though quite broad, remain (unpublished, overlooked by the literary world). Despite my obvious lack of (stature, critical acclaim, relevance) I feel it necessary to over generalize my opinion."

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Mithran
Baghdad Bob

I Love Drama!

Reply #63 - May 30th, 2012 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
I should probably allow that my own taste in writing isn't mainstream. I've also read five or six Steven King novels and don't think he's a good writer, either. The first few went quickly enough that I'd have recommended any of them, then I read "Pet Sematary," and decided that there was just enough good material in his books to make a movie out of. I read his last, well-received novel and didn't have any problems getting through it, but I wouldn't have called it 'good.'

For that matter, even my favorite writer, Philip K. Dick,  had a writing style that was frenetic and uneven. It probably had to do with his super-fast desire to put his ideas on paper where his typing speed (manual typewriter, mind you) was over 110 wpm and his use of powerful stimulants.

This style has nothing to do with my love of his writing, however. His characters are reminiscent of Dostoevsky's.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #64 - May 30th, 2012 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Mithran wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 1:56pm:
I've also read five or six Steven King novels

Some of his stuff is not so good, but "The Stand" and the short story collection "Four past Midnight" are outstanding. I have read The Stand 5 or 6 times. "The Langoliers" (sp) in Four past Midnight is a great story too.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #65 - May 30th, 2012 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Mithran said:
Quote:
Salvatore is not a good writer.

Eladiun and Invelios said:
Quote:
You're wrong.  Salvatore is a successful writer.

Mithran said:
Quote:
You're wrong.  Salvatore is not a good writer.

Elediun, Invelios, and Stainer said:
Quote:
You're wrong.  You read his books so he must not be bad.

Ok, so maybe you guys never said that, but please try to come up with some better arguments.  The one you guys are on now is just boring.  Bottom line, all of you are right.

Since this thread is about writers now, I recently picked up William Gibson's Zero History, although I haven't cracked the cover yet.  Once I saw it contained characters from Pattern Recognition and Spook Country I decided to reread those first.  Just finished Pattern Recognition again.  Every time I read (or reread) his work, I get more out of it.  In my opinion, he is supremely talented.  In comparison, after borrowing the first three xXxDrizztxXx books I returned them all after reading the first and have no desire to ever read Salvatore again.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #66 - May 30th, 2012 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 3:32pm:
Elediun, Invelios, and Stainer said:
Quote:
You're wrong.  You read his books so he must not be bad.

Princess,

Where exactly did I say that?

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #67 - May 30th, 2012 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 3:32pm:
In comparison, after borrowing the first three xXxDrizztxXx books I returned them all after reading the first and have no desire to ever read Salvatore again.

Mithran said:
I read 20 of his books he's a bad writer.

...you are apparently smarter than Mithran by a factor of 20.

Quote:

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #68 - May 30th, 2012 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 3:41pm:
Princess,

Where exactly did I say that?

Now read the next line after what you quoted.  And try to keep up.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #69 - May 30th, 2012 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 3:45pm:
Now read the next line after what you quoted.  And try to keep up.

I only read stuff that is directly related to me, or factually incorrect. Generally I don't read any of your posts, since they don't fit that criteria.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #70 - May 30th, 2012 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 3:47pm:
I only read stuff that is directly related to me, or factually incorrect. Generally I don't read any of your posts, since they don't fit that criteria.

I see you still remember the Southern art of the backhanded compliment.  Thank you, I think.

Reminds me of the nice old lady on Sunday morning that told my wife and I, "It's nice to see you in church on occassion."  Fifteen years later, I still remember that one.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #71 - May 30th, 2012 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 3:49pm:
Fifteen years later, I still remember that one.

Bless your heart.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #72 - May 30th, 2012 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
It seems like everyone actually agrees:

Salvatore = Rich son of a bitch from writing fantasy novels of questionable quality.

Personally, I think Salvatore was probably just ahead of his time.  When he started writing in the early/mid-eighties, the youth/teen fiction category was not as developed as it is today.  His only choice was to publish adult fiction or children's books. 

His FR books would fit very well on a shelf next to Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Twilight, Hunger Games, Eragon, and the Ranger's Apprentice series.  My 13 and 15 year old sons love his books.  I liked them back when they first came out when I was a teenager.  His literature has not matured, however.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #73 - May 30th, 2012 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Oh, and if you want D&D fiction what are your options?

Salvatore
Gygax's early Gord the Rogue books
Hickman & Weis's first two Dragonlance trilogies

And?  A huge drop off.

Ed Greenwood? Troy Denning?  Terrible.  Awful.  Being a good DM or Module Writer does not make you a good novelist.

IP Logged

TWDiggs
Mr. Infraction

Reply #74 - May 30th, 2012 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
I have never read any of Salvatores books; so I have no opinion on if he is a great author. I think that we all can agree however that he is a well known author with a large following of readers; so given that fact he would be a valuable asset in the creation of a story driven MMO.

stainer wrote on Oct 5th, 2011 at 1:29pm:
Everyday that you aren't banned, is a borrowed day.

Grace wrote on Dec 2nd, 2012 at 8:31pm:
Well, you're a godless heathen, anyway. I would totally wear my rape whistle around you.
YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint