Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Guild Wars 2 Launch Date (Read 4355 times)
Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Date
Reply #25 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
someguy wrote on Aug 7th, 2012 at 8:01pm:
ya they all seem pretty cool.

since i enjoy both pve and pvp it will be difficult to decide on what i want to play...because obviously some things are always wanted for pve (tanks/healers) and for pvp you usually want great dps + utility/survivability. and usually that isnt a tank lol.

Get that mentality out of your head right now.
There are no traditional tanks/healers/etc.  Everyone has a heal skill.  Everyone can revive downed players.  There is no such thing as a Taunt or Intimidate skill.  Each mob has it's own (and varying) AI for whom they will attack and when.  And it works.  The trinity for Gw2 isn't tank/healer/dps.  It's support/control/dps.  And every character ( and I do mean EVERY character, regardless of profession) has the option to play any of the roles, depending upon build, gear and weapon choices.  Obviously certain professions are better at certain things than others (example: guardian has more inherent support than thief) but every profession can function at any of the three roles if needed, by simply swapping weapons and/or utility skills (which you can do any time you're not in combat) and/or traits (if you know before hand that you'll need to perform in a certain role that you aren't spec'd for).
If you're the type that opens or joins a BYOH LFM in DDO, then you'll absolutely love this change.
The fact of the matter is that you cannot even create a tank or a healer.  If you attempt to tank in a traditional sense for more than a few moments, you're going to get splatified almost immediately.  Even if you're playing a Warrior or a Guardian.
I actually attempted to create a healer, because I wanted to see if the lack of the trinity could be broken by recreating one of the trinity on an individual basis.
I tried many different combinations, and I failed miserably every time.  The closest thing you can make to a healer is a support Guardian, and even then it is nowhere near enough healing to go around that it could be considered a "healer" in any way, shape or form.  All it can do is become nearly unkillable, while losing a large portion of it's DPS potential, and offering others a few more seconds of leeway so that they could save themselves (because you aren't saving them, and if you do it isn't something that you can continue doing).
I consider that a very good thing.  It is my belief that ANet has found the sweet spot as far as removing the trinity is concerned.

i also read up a bit on the racials...are their abilities mostly flavor or do they come in handy? the norn shapeshifting seemed kind of awesome for a racial but is something like that really ever beneficial?

The original idea was that racial skills were going to simply be for flavor (if you wanted it) but that they were going to be weaker than professional skills.  This has been changed.  Some of them are pretty damned good (sylvari Root [or whatever  it was called] I'm looking at you).
Now they will simply not be allowed in sPvP.  They work in PvE and in WvW, but not in sPvP.

also cale how well is the cross server grouping going to work? did they have anything similar to experience during the beta? i see it costs gems (guessing cash shop currency) but i have no clue "how much" 1800 is. or how lame some of the restrictions are playing as a guest. i know lots of people who are going to be playing this from different games and irl. didnt want to find out where majority played before i pick a server heh

Cross server grouping is a bit of a misconception.  I think you mean the "guesting" system.  Basically guesting is playing on a different server than your home.  You can log into any server that you want to (and even be in guilds from multiple servers if you like).  There are a few stipulations, such as WvW being inaccessible from anywhere other than your home server, but basically that's the gist of it.
If I'm on server A and you're on server B, we can't group together unless one of us Guests.

So basically it doesn't matter what server you choose, nor does it matter what server your friends choose, unless you want to group with certain people for WvW.  If that matters to you, then one of you (or more, depending) will have to pay to swap home servers unless you started out on the same server.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2012 at 8:48pm by Cale »  

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #26 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 9:08am
Print Post  
good answers all around. answered everything. and ya i had noticed that about traditional mmo roles when skimming over the skills for each class. they could all at least use some form of heal. i didnt look close enough to see if there were any differences in cooldowns/cost or any other abilities that reduced those making one profession a bit better than another at healing. and i just assumed guardian would be the best tanky type if the role does indeed exist (by its name and usually shown with shield + weapon). im fine with not having those traditional roles thats the only thing that kept me into ddo for so long. being able to play basically anything, a hybrid, or a dedicated class.

the more i read and see of this game the more excited i am to play it since i havent come across an mmo i enjoyed since ddo. and ive tried 5 or 6 :/

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Aug 8th, 2012 at 9:14am
Print Post  
The holy trinity is gone, but parts still exist.  I plan on making a Guardian that is tank (mace shield) and healer (staff).  Will he be like a tank or healer from WoW or even DDO? No.  But switching between the two he should be quite interesting.  But if you had a party of this guy, it would be pretty slow Smiley

Likewise I think there is an interesting 'Tank' Mesmer twist that I wanna try, along with a DPS switch.

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2012 at 10:21am by livefreeordie »  

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Another Beta stress test tonight, from 7-11 PM EST, so alot easier for people to get on.  Cant wait!  I plan on being on tarnished coast for a good chunk of time tonight if anyone is going to be on.

IP Logged

RJ
Korthos Resident

Dungeon Master

Reply #29 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Well, I downloaded Guild Wars last night with my girlfriend and we played for seven hours straight. I actually like this game alot better than DDO and will be picking it up on August 28th, sweet sweet game, can't wait ti play it.

We'll be playing through the Guild Wars content until then, any suggestions on good builds? She's an elementalist/necro and I'm a fighter/ranger - I have no idea if those will be viable through the game but I had never played it before and just chose what looked best.

LvL 80s: Thief, Necro, Warrior, Guardian, and Elementalist. Leader of the Dragon Blood Cult [DBC] of Maguuma.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 11:58am
Print Post  
If you prebuy, there is another Beta event today.

IP Logged

Breaken
Horoluth Raider

Go^Yourself

Reply #31 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Will announce what server No Quarter will be calling home soon. See everyone at headstart.

Quote:
Breaken's just a weird asshole, divorcced and pathetically marvelling at talk of sex.  That guy is fucked IMHO. People I really don't like here list is small.  Not that you or anyone should care, but for me it is Calvet, because he's stupid in a bitchy drama way, and Breaken, but he is a liar and a blunt, inelegant angry guy

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #32 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
went ahead and pre-purchased. that head start was looking too good to pass up since it comes on the weekend. and maybe they'll do some more stress tests or something so i can diddle my piddle

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #33 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
someguy wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 8:31pm:
so i can diddle my piddle

You don't need to buy a game to do that.  I do it every morning for free.

IP Logged

Breaken
Horoluth Raider

Go^Yourself

Reply #34 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 8:42pm:
You don't need to buy a game to do that.  I do it every morning for free.

and he will do it for you for a small price.

Quote:
Breaken's just a weird asshole, divorcced and pathetically marvelling at talk of sex.  That guy is fucked IMHO. People I really don't like here list is small.  Not that you or anyone should care, but for me it is Calvet, because he's stupid in a bitchy drama way, and Breaken, but he is a liar and a blunt, inelegant angry guy

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #35 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Breaken wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 9:23pm:
and he will do it for you for a small price.

The price is variable, directly related to the size of the piddle that needs diddling.

IP Logged

Breaken
Horoluth Raider

Go^Yourself

Reply #36 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 10:30pm:
The price is variable, directly related to the size of the piddle that needs diddling.

Less is more. More is less. More is more. Less is less???? Grin

Quote:

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #37 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Breaken wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 11:04pm:
Less is more. More is less. More is more. Less is less???? Grin

Yes, items.

IP Logged

Breaken
Horoluth Raider

Go^Yourself

Reply #38 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
No Quarter aims to be on Dragonbrand at headstart.

Quote:

IP Logged

RJ
Korthos Resident

Dungeon Master

Reply #39 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Stress test till 8PM EST today.

Started at 3PM EST.

LvL 80s: Thief, Necro, Warrior, Guardian, and Elementalist. Leader of the Dragon Blood Cult [DBC] of Maguuma.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #40 - Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Some guy named Fracking plays this, while that is enough for me to never play it, I encourage the rest of you to seek him out and befriend him.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 11:01am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:18pm:
Some guy named Fracking plays this, while that is enough for me to never play it, I encourage the rest of you to seek him out and befriend him.

You should apply to Fracking and Larka's guild!

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #42 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Quote:

Is their guild called "OMG I got tripped by an arrow /ragequit" or "I lub beef&cheddar"?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 11:20am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 11:06am:
Is their guild called "OMG I got tripped by an arrow /ragequit" or "I lub beef&cheddar"?

They combined it to OMG I got tripped by beef&cheddar.

IP Logged

RJ
Korthos Resident

Dungeon Master

Reply #44 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
I have a quick question:

will the characters that we played on the stress tests be deleted on launch Saturday morning, or no?

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #45 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
RJ wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 4:21pm:
I have a quick question:

will the characters that we played on the stress tests be deleted on launch Saturday morning, or no?

Yes.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Breaken
Horoluth Raider

Go^Yourself

Reply #46 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:

This is the best idea evar!

Quote:

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #47 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Once the servers go live I'm immediately rolling a toon and starting a guild.  Not because I want to have a guild, but because I want the guild tag reserved in the event that I ever *do* want to have a guild.
Then the other toon names that I want will be rolled and saved.  But if I get this guild tag, you're going to hear me squeal in Vent like Gawna does on a Sybian.

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #48 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
i heard it was more like a barbarian howl

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Aug 22nd, 2012 at 6:53pm:
squeal in Vent like Gawna does on a Sybian.

It's more of a banshee wail.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Send TopicPrint