Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Guild Wars 2 Launch Date (Read 4425 times)
Milton
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Date
Reply #75 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 5:05am
Print Post  
Smrti wrote on Aug 29th, 2012 at 12:13pm:
I'll give it a month or two to see how it looks. I don't want to jump in on it to find out it's another SWTOR.

Early impressions so far...

The levelling game was alot more addicting in SWTOR than it is in GW2.

Will have to see what the end game entails to truly recommend it.

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #76 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 9:16am
Print Post  
damn really? ive found the exact opposite lol. i hated pve in swtor. the quests to just kill X dudes and/or collect something. the environments didnt look nice so it made the super long traveling even more boring (even with speeders). i pretty much lvled with pvp and dailies while continuing my story before i outleveled it. did probably 10 lvls of pve and got tired of it. gw2 on the other hand is fun as shit to explore and find random events and massive bosses. last night in the human starting area in the swamps there was a mountain sized shadow behemoth and about 60 people fighting him. when he died he dropped a massive chest (bigger than the pack mules) full of greens and other neat stuff. sure you could say that is just this games version of a raid/flashpoint but its not quite the same. took no coordination to group up... no sitting around watching LFG in chat or posting LFM need healer etc. just stumbled upon it while doing normal quests while there were a billion people in the area.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #77 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
I fucking hated SWTOR, but I'm loving GW2.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #78 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
I think it depends a bit on play style.  I've just gone out and explored the world, and XP is randomly added to my bar.  Thats how I got to 25 so far.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #79 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
How does GW2 payment work? Do you buy the game, and then have unlimited play, is there a subscription, or a combination of the 2?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #80 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 12:49pm:
How does GW2 payment work? Do you buy the game, and then have unlimited play, is there a subscription, or a combination of the 2?

Buy the game for $60, and you play for free for ever (so they say)

There is a cash shop, but all indications are that it is pure cosmetic and stuff like that, not p2w.  My guess is there will be expansions in the future that will be one off payments, but I have seen nothing to support this.

The way I looked at it was, I drop $60 to buy Halo:ODST which sucked balls, but still played it for about 40 hours and considered it money well spent.  GW2 could crash and burn and I would still consider my $60 well spent.  So far my experience is I would be willing to do the WoW model to play GW2 ($60+ a sub), but dont have to

"If we got to a point where sales continued to be off the charts, and it threatened the experience that players are having with the game, then we’d just turn off sales."  Great sentiment, but not sure how realistic that really is.  However, just the fact that he said it means a lot.
Interesting comment by a Dev

It might be true, because their numbers point to fantastic water marks so far
-Concurrent user access has been topping the 400,000 mark, even BEFORE the release to store shelves.
- 1 million units sold.

They are likely at a profit point where reputation and long term viability is more important then a few thousands short term sales.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2012 at 1:20pm by livefreeordie »  

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #81 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 12:49pm:

Buy the game and then have unlimited play.  There is a store (using "gems" instead of "Turbine points"), but currently it's only cosmetics.  I haven't really looked in there much, though.  During headstart there was a cosmetic GW2 baseball cap for free which I got!

OMG ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY I WILL PEE

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #82 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Buy the game and then have unlimited play.  There is a store (using "gems" instead of "Turbine points"), but currently it's only cosmetics.  I haven't really looked in there much, though.  During headstart there was a cosmetic GW2 baseball cap for free which I got!

OMG ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY I WILL PEE

Is there a squelch feature, in case breaken starts telling stories?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #83 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
CS afro and Glasses.  Its likely I would cry for mankind if I knew how much money they made from selling this stuff.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2012 at 2:03pm by livefreeordie »  

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #84 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
So if I theoretically bought the box set, where the hell is everybody?

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #85 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
Is there a squelch feature, in case breaken starts telling stories?

Yes, it's called log out of Vent.  But he hasn't told one AOC story!

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #86 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 1:17pm:
Buy the game for $60, and you play for free for ever (so they say)

There is a cash shop, but all indications are that it is pure cosmetic and stuff like that, not p2w.  My guess is there will be expansions in the future that will be one off payments, but I have seen nothing to support this.

The way I looked at it was, I drop $60 to buy Halo:ODST which sucked balls, but still played it for about 40 hours and considered it money well spent.  GW2 could crash and burn and I would still consider my $60 well spent.  So far my experience is I would be willing to do the WoW model to play GW2 ($60+ a sub), but dont have to

"If we got to a point where sales continued to be off the charts, and it threatened the experience that players are having with the game, then we’d just turn off sales."  Great sentiment, but not sure how realistic that really is.  However, just the fact that he said it means a lot.
Interesting comment by a Dev

It might be true, because their numbers point to fantastic water marks so far
-Concurrent user access has been topping the 400,000 mark, even BEFORE the release to store shelves.
- 1 million units sold.

They are likely at a profit point where reputation and long term viability is more important then a few thousands short term sales.

This model (pay once, play forever) is not MMO sustainable.  A one time purchase works for a traditional dev shop where they release a few titles a year.  And pay today's bills with the revenue generated from yesterday's release.  Knowing that tomorrow's bills will be paid by the releases they are working on now. 

In an MMO, recurring revenue is the only way to go.  You can't pay for network/server techs, GM's, customer support, developers and admin on this scale off of new box sales at $60 a pop.  They are burning several million a month in salaries alone.  Let alone bandwidth, co-lo, facilities, hardware, etc.  You would need to sell 300-400k new boxes a year to keep the doors open.  That's not viable over a long term. 

They will have to get revenue from the existing customer base.  Not that it should be hard if they have a player base in the 1 million range.  Two new content relases a year that cost $10 per player each would keep the lights on.  $60 up front and $20 a year is dirt cheap for an MMO.

But they are leaving money on the table even with that model.  There are a lot of people who will pay for convenience items, or helpful game items, not just cosmetics.  P2Win always receives a good deal of hatred from the hardcore gaming crowd.  Many of whom are full of free time and low on cash.  But that will always be 1% or less of your player base.  The overwhelming majority will always be the casual/part-time gamer, many of which have more money than free time and don't mind spending a bit to increase their enjoyment of the game. 

I'm sure you will see those options appearing in the future.  Nobody in the gaming software business intentionally leaves money on the table.  Your window for profit is too small and your crowd is too fickle.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #87 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 4:35pm:
This model (pay once, play forever) is not MMO sustainable.
<snip>
I'm sure you will see those options appearing in the future.  Nobody in the gaming software business intentionally leaves money on the table.  Your window for profit is too small and your crowd is too fickle.

Seven+ years of Guild Wars 1 using the exact same model, which is still up and running I might add, would disagree with you.

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #88 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
I started to play last night, Dragonbrand was full and out of the 3 medium capacity USA servers, I picked Anvil Rock.

Started a Human Guardian...might try some other classes. Everything feels so foreign and sluggish to me. I tried to make the controls DDOish but I may have just made it harder.

Invo space is severely limited...what is the fastest way to increase that? Should I bother with crafting this early?

Proud Leader & official Gimp of Crimson Eagles on Khyber
Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor WF FvS 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 18 - Splatsplat 18/2 DoSIII

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #89 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Invo space is severely limited...what is the fastest way to increase that?
You can buy bags from some vendors. Keep your eyes open.  Equip them to add more space.

Should I bother with crafting this early?
Yes.  Even if you don't actually plan on crafting anything yet, you get XP from gathering resources.  And actual crafting grants both crafting XP *and* character XP.

Some notes for a newbie:
After you finish a Heart, the NPC becomes a Karma Vendor.  Keep this in mind and check with Heart NPCs after finishing the Heart to see what they have.  Many of them have some very cool stuff.
Talk to every NPC that has a name.  Many named NPCs start events if you talk to them, but without an icon over their had most people just run right past.  If he has a name, stop and talk.
After an event, do not run off.  Wait a second or ten.  Many times that event will chain into another one.  Sometimes this happens immediately in the same place, sometimes the NPC will run off and you have to follow them to the next one.  But people that run off immediately often miss the next part of the chain if it exists.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2012 at 9:30pm by Cale »  

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #90 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
23% of my d/l is done.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #91 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 2:19am
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 9:30pm:
Invo space is severely limited...what is the fastest way to increase that?
You can buy bags from some vendors. Keep your eyes open.  Equip them to add more space.

Should I bother with crafting this early?
Yes.  Even if you don't actually plan on crafting anything yet, you get XP from gathering resources.  And actual crafting grants both crafting XP *and* character XP.

Some notes for a newbie:
After you finish a Heart, the NPC becomes a Karma Vendor.  Keep this in mind and check with Heart NPCs after finishing the Heart to see what they have.  Many of them have some very cool stuff.
Talk to every NPC that has a name.  Many named NPCs start events if you talk to them, but without an icon over their had most people just run right past.  If he has a name, stop and talk.
After an event, do not run off.  Wait a second or ten.  Many times that event will chain into another one.  Sometimes this happens immediately in the same place, sometimes the NPC will run off and you have to follow them to the next one.  But people that run off immediately often miss the next part of the chain if it exists.

Thanks Cale. Very helpful.

How is everyone coping with the controls after playing DDO for so long?

Proud Leader & official Gimp of Crimson Eagles on Khyber
Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor WF FvS 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 18 - Splatsplat 18/2 DoSIII

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #92 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Felgor wrote on Aug 31st, 2012 at 2:19am:
Thanks Cale. Very helpful.

How is everyone coping with the controls after playing DDO for so long?

The depends on which control scheme you ran in DDO.  If you ran Classic then it will probably take a little getting used to.  If you ran what became the default after FtP went live then the only difference is your basic attack [as the rest are remapped to wherever you want them to be].
I assume from your question that you ran  Classic.
I ran the newer default, so the only thing that changed for me was the basic attack changed from left-mouse to mouse-thumb-1 [on a logitech g700].

You'll feel SUPER slow until you get used to it and/or find a way to keep swiftness up for longer periods.  Especially on a Charr or Norn. They're bigger, but move the same speed, which makes them *feel* even slower than they are comparatively.

Oh, and another newbie tip for you Fel.
Most MMOs are created to lead you around by the nose.
Gw2 is not created that way.  It was created to be explored.
People were complaining during testing/betas that there was not enough direction, so Hearts were added.  The never existed before that.  Keep this in mind.  This means that the people who run from Heart to Heart and are merely doing events that they happen to stumble across in progress are not seeing all of the content.  These people are then complaining that they're not leveling appropriately to the areas.
They don't realize that it isn't the game's fault, it's their own.
The Hearts were added as an afterthought, not as a guide for where to go.  They can give you an idea of what level you should be when you're in that area, and they can give you a clue where to go when you feel a bit lost, but that's all they should be seen as.
The game was meant to be explored, so don't play it as if it should be leading you around, because you will be disappointed if you do expect it to do so.

Oh, and events always take precedence over Hearts.  Many times, completing events will also fill a Heart in the area as well, but the reverse is not true.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2012 at 8:17am by Cale »  

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #93 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 9:55am
Print Post  
"Ensuring the best possible play experience for our fans is our highest priority. We’ve said before that we would be willing to temporarily disable first-party digital sales if we felt our high player concurrency may compromise player experiences. We have now reached that point.

Effective immediately we have disabled sales via buy.guildwars2.com. To be clear, box and digital sales are still available via our retail partners. We are tracking our concurrency closely while expanding our infrastructure. We’ll re-enable first-party digital sales as soon as we feel that we can do so safely. "
Link

Sorry those of you that took to long. Better get to the store quick!  Just Wow. This is fantastic for them, they said 400k users before the game opened and over 1 million when it hit stores. They better start buying some more server room.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2012 at 9:56am by livefreeordie »  

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #94 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:31am
Print Post  
It's not going to last though peeps will get bored and the numbers will dropped eventually, just like gw did, unless peeps decide they love grinding for "achievements" as endgame.

@Asheras Uh maybe look at gw it seem to have done just fine as b2p lol
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:37am by Silky »  

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #95 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Winter comes every year
The stars burn out
Galaxies fade away
Everything dies
Silky posts stupid shit

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #96 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Maxwell Edison wrote on Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:35am:
Winter comes every year
The stars burn out
Galaxies fade away
Everything dies
Silky posts stupid shit

I don't mean it will die out in like 5 years or shit but most likely the same thing that happened to swtor will happen again is all.

Guess i should have been more clear for the stupid people. Carry on with the silly science shit that every 10 year old knows if it makes you feel smarter though.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:40am by Silky »  

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #97 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:41am
Print Post  
I think you missed my main point which is that I feel you add nothing worthwhile to any conversation ever.

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #98 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Maxwell Edison wrote on Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:41am:
I think you missed my main point which is that I feel you add nothing worthwhile to any conversation ever.

Stop projecting Smiley

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #99 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Silky wrote on Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:38am:
the same thing that happened to swtor will happen again is all.

SWTOR's issues were:

1) Unrealistic Expectations - Labeling an MMO the Next WOW or a WOW Killer is foolish.  WOW was lightning in a bottle; a one time event.  It's like when people call a basketball player the next Michael Jordan.  I doubt we will ever see a WOW again.  12+ millions subscriptions...  MMO's can be extremely profitable at 1 million.  Hell, DDO is profitable and way below that.  You also had players coming from WOW who somehow expected every feature WOW had after 7 years to be in SWTOR at release.
2) Untested and Poorly Planned End-Game - They fucked up end game at release and made leveling too easy so people capped and then went WTF.
3) PvP, especially world PvP was poorly planned.  They self admittedly grossly underestimated the draw of competitive PvP.
4) Way to Many Servers/Shards - They spread their population too thin in the interest of performance or overestimating initial subs.  This made worlds empty, queues long, groups hard too find and generally killed the MMO feel.
5) No Group Finder.

...I can't see Guild wars who are building on a successful MMO making most of these rookie mistakes.  As it stands, it's a PvP MMO so one would hope they don't F up 3 and 4.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2012 at 11:03am by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Send TopicPrint