Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic minecraft? (Read 526 times)
FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

minecraft?
Jul 23rd, 2012 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Was browsing random videos on youtube and found a minecraft channel.

It looked kinda interesting, wondering if anyone plays/has played it? Thoughts?

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Re: minecraft?
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 9:23am
Print Post  
My kid has been playing it for over a year and has his own server and a bunch of the mods that he plays with his friends in their own sandbox environment.

He really enjoys it. It supports several different kinds of play styles depending on the mods you use.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 2:38am:
Was browsing random videos on youtube and found a minecraft channel.

It looked kinda interesting, wondering if anyone plays/has played it? Thoughts?

I haven't played it myself,  but the people I know that do are pretty addicted to it.

On a much more geeky note, the main reason I noticed it was the "8 bit computer" version that someone put together a while back.  I think there is also a 16 bit version out there somewhere, but I'm not sure if it was finished all the way when I looked at it.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
My kid has been playing it for over a year and has his own server and a bunch of the mods that he plays with his friends in their own sandbox environment.

He really enjoys it. It supports several different kinds of play styles depending on the mods you use.

Cool. From what I've seen, it offers a lot of play based on imagination and creativity. Great exercise for the right-side brain.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 2:26pm:
I haven't played it myself,  but the people I know that do are pretty addicted to it.

On a much more geeky note, the main reason I noticed it was the "8 bit computer" version that someone put together a while back.  I think there is also a 16 bit version out there somewhere, but I'm not sure if it was finished all the way when I looked at it.

Just googled it. Someone built a working 8-bit CPU within the game, using the environment and materials, pretty nifty.

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 1:25am
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Jul 23rd, 2012 at 4:11pm:
Just googled it. Someone built a working 8-bit CPU within the game, using the environment and materials, pretty nifty.

Yeah that was pretty nutty. Did you see the one where someone made a very crude minecraft inside of minecraft? Or the one group that was making a scale replica of the Enterprise? I played it for a couple months and came to the conclusion that its not really a game so much as the worlds best timekiller.

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 10:25am
Print Post  
I play it occasionally, both the 360 and PC versions.  Its one of those games where it looks boring but then you decide to start building something and you set up a quarry or a mine and then you start improving it and then you fall into a cave and start exploring and then you look and hours have gone by.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Stay the hell away from Minecraft. It's a worse timesink than DDO.

Although you can exploit the heck out of the upcoming 1.3 and in 1 - 2 hours have unlimited amounts of any resource, as much XP as you want, etc.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
woody wrote on Jul 24th, 2012 at 1:25am:
Yeah that was pretty nutty. Did you see the one where someone made a very crude minecraft inside of minecraft? Or the one group that was making a scale replica of the Enterprise? I played it for a couple months and came to the conclusion that its not really a game so much as the worlds best timekiller.

I do like my star trek, I'll check that enterprise vid out.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Maxwell Edison wrote on Jul 24th, 2012 at 10:25am:
I play it occasionally, both the 360 and PC versions.  Its one of those games where it looks boring but then you decide to start building something and you set up a quarry or a mine and then you start improving it and then you fall into a cave and start exploring and then you look and hours have gone by.

sadly the hours and hours going by used to be DDO for me.
Now I have to convince myself to log on, that's why I started looking around to see what else is out there.

IP Logged

green00_00
Butterface

DDO Vault Failure

Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
its pretty fun and quite addicting, but eventually you get pretty burnt out on it.

there's no story or questing to drive gameplay.  its all about creating bigger and better structures and optimizing your resource farming to help you to create bigger and better structures.  there's the programing side of it too, but i never understood enough of that to really do anything with it.  building mob grinders (death traps that kill mobs to gather resources) and figuring out better ways to optimize resource gathering was what hooked me.  it does add alot to the gameplay to get on a server.  creating things with other people does help to stretch replayability.

i played pretty extensively for 2-3 months, then off and on for another 2ish back during beta.  i havent touched the game since, but im sure ill go back to it eventually.  its a good game to play while youre fucked up too.

anywho, some pictures i still have of my greatest creation.  i played on a server where some banned assholes would post our IP around to try to encourage griefers.  i built the entrance to this structure on the bottom of a lake (which works thanks to Notch water physics).  i never was griefed.

[Color=red][Size=6][b][center]But you'll notice, not butterdick[\center][\b][\Size][\color]

Apparently I cannot figure out signatures.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 2:45am
Print Post  
green00_00 wrote on Jul 24th, 2012 at 9:48pm:
its pretty fun and quite addicting, but eventually you get pretty burnt out on it.

there's no story or questing to drive gameplay.  its all about creating bigger and better structures and optimizing your resource farming to help you to create bigger and better structures. 

Good points, thanks for bringing that up.
From what I've seen, it reminds me a little bit of Animal Crossing (Nintendo).
Also, a little Civilization-esque, since in Survival, you are tasked with starting from scratch and building shelter and defense. Eventually upgrading and building out advanced or more complex structures.

I might be off the mark since I haven't played yet, just observations at the moment.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #12 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 2:46am
Print Post  
PS, forgot to add, I dig your designs. I like the black and red contrast.

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
My son had me download the trial version on the xbox since he plays it alot when he with his mother on her pc. I don't really get the point of a game with no ending, but I understand the whole idea of just creating and designing new things I guess.
Now he's trying to convince me to get him the full version.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Minecraft = Digital Legos.

I don't dis adults who play with legos. I know a couple actually. But, it personally doesn't do much for me anymore.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #15 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 8:11pm
Print Post  

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #16 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 8:11pm:

Yeah, but what do you do when your little brother comes in while you're at school and rips it to pieces just to get even with you for giving him a wedgie?
Grin
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2012 at 8:48pm by Meat-Head »  

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #17 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Today is singleplayergeddon. The devs got rid of single player and replaced it with running a server with you as the sole player. All the single player mods broke, and there's not even a bukkit (multiplayer mod API) release for the new minecraft version yet. Bleh.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #18 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 2:03am
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 8:47pm:
Yeah, but what do you do when your little brother comes in while you're at school and rips it to pieces just to get even with you for giving him a wedgie?
Grin

Bigger wedgie.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

wowo
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 7:50am
Print Post  
mudfud wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:42pm:
My son had me download the trial version on the xbox since he plays it alot when he with his mother on her pc. I don't really get the point of a game with no ending, but I understand the whole idea of just creating and designing new things I guess.
Now he's trying to convince me to get him the full version.

There is an ending! An end was added in version 1 iirc which is the time I stopped playing ... Basically you kill some endermen and then go to the ender home plan and kill an ender dragon, see what Notch did there?

Minecraft was inspired by quite a few games including Nethack. After playing Minecraft I played around with an iPhone version of Nethack and had a lot of fun.

Minecraft is great and really versatile, can really get anything that you want out of it. It's about the only game that I got my partner in to playing with me, we had some tense sessions playing survival hiding together waiting for dawn to come hoping the zombies wouldn't get us so that we could continue to build our home. If I get another computer setup with basic peripherals again we'll probably have another go at this.

Once you get a home setup really the skies the limit, automated harvesters, electrical systems to power lights, doors and other luxuries, can do so much and it's so straight forward in most cases (lots of how-to youtube vids if not).

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 2:03am:
Bigger wedgie.

AKA The Atomic Wedgie.

IP Logged

RJ
Korthos Resident

Dungeon Master

Reply #21 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
They screwed up multiplayer servers with 1.3.1, server lags like crazy.

Hope the new craftbukkit version comes up soon.

LvL 80s: Thief, Necro, Warrior, Guardian, and Elementalist. Leader of the Dragon Blood Cult [DBC] of Maguuma.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Aug 7th, 2012 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Buddy of mine sent me this one. NSFW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGJEBiI85hM

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint