Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Anyone Else Remember When We Liked MajMal? (Read 27202 times)
Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Re: Anyone Else Remember When We Liked MajMal?
Reply #25 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
dubyprime wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 12:12pm:
Feather posted somewhere..."..I don't play WF.." or something to that nature.

When demonstrating a lack of understanding and interest of both WF and healing amp in the Healers Friend thread.

Speaking of healing amp, a snazzy little icon right above the spellpower one showing HA values would be nice.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #26 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
What I found hilarious in that thread was so many coming away with the impression FOS was going to fix the healing amp bug.  He back handed them by saying he was off to fix bugs and specifically didn't say off to fix that bug.

And I guess that's why I dislike him so much.  He has this attitude of "I got this guys" and then when he realizes he's in over his fat head, disappears.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #27 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
What worries me is that if you really boil it down and look at the actual content we got from the expansion you have 11 'epic quests' a good number of which take literally 2 minutes to complete, a couple of a decent length and difficulty, and a fucked raid. There are a couple of level 19 quests (3?) but you really can't count them as being of any use when you compare how much xp you get for those compared to the 20+ ones.

Then you have the challenges, which were decent xp, which has since been nerfed, so you are left hoping that you haven't done the old quests too much on normal while leveling.

Loot wise you have the hand in stuff, which can be decent, depending on what you have already (I'm finding it a PITA to slot stuff like GFL and Fort which are on nearly no new items other than one of the armours), you have the armours which can be nice, but if you want to make use of the set bonuses you have to get max PDK favor (wtf, seriously who decided that was a good idea). Some of the other items that drop in the quests are nice, the rings, necro staff etc, so some good stuff there. Then you have the raid weapons, and to be honest, I looked over the ones that have been seen and pretty much none other than the SS for my rogue looked interesting at all, which is good, I can avoid that stupid raid then.

It really boils down to the expansion being a couple of nice areas (the explorer areas were done really well), some nice quests and some that are just wayyyyy too short, I'm not expecting every quest to be a 2 hour event, but some of the new quests are pretty pathetic, and the epic destinies that range from pretty bad to awesome. Plus a whole bucket load of bugs.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Kracky
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
He tried hard to give the players a hearing.

What he then got from us was in the main a load of abuse but in a forumly manner.

Feather of the Sun got a load of barrels last week when he was trying to be friendly and funny

Honestly we are our own worst enemies sometimes

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #29 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Feather is a bigger douche than you and that's saying something.

Friendly and funny...  you know if I released code this buggy I would be too fucking embarrassed to be joking around.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2012 at 3:22pm by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #30 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Hyperbole is the internet's native tongue.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #31 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Kracky wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 2:29pm:
He tried hard to give the players a hearing.

What he then got from us was in the main a load of abuse but in a forumly manner.

Feather of the Sun got a load of barrels last week when he was trying to be friendly and funny

Honestly we are our own worst enemies sometimes

Usually we are our own worst enemies.

FotS should not try to be "Friendly and Funny" until he does the things he says he will.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=364876 - this seems to be fairly representative of Turbine's efforts.

"I think I fixed it, where 'fixed' means it works for people who do not play the game more than a couple hours a month in an environment that is not customer facing.

Of course I could test this fix to see if it really works after I release it to Live, but I won't because as I said before, I'm pretty sure I've nailed it, and that's good enough."

They earn most of the crap they get.

They "fix" things that are not broken "while they were in there" without publicly documenting the change (for example, Shroud Blades) while ignoring high-profile issues.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?&postid=4609728#post4609728

Quote:
"This bug is fixed internally on our development build, and the fix will go live with Update 15.

Same goes for all non-functioning Spell Power set bonii"

Sure it is, Feather.  Sure it is.  I sincerely hope you surprise me this time.

I don't dislike MajMal, but neither do I like him.

He had a chance to make a difference, or at least to make it seem that it things were moving away from "bag of ass", but things sure feel the same as they did before he announced that he would try to make things better.

There are some things to like about the changes and additions to the game, but they are very easy to forget when there are so many highly visible gaffs that go unacknowledged and are seemingly ignored for years.

But, hey, have you noticed that nobody is complaining about Ladders anymore?

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #32 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
We aren't complaining about ladders because there aren't very many in the new content.

Also because if there was a bugged ladder, most people would plan a road trip to Mass.

Munkenmo wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:41pm:
All hail Smrti.

Felgor wrote on Sep 11th, 2012 at 11:18pm:
Fuck Australia.

rev Jim wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:40am:
I wish I was a rich black woman sometimes........

IP Logged

Dracosanct
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Smrti wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:02pm:
We aren't complaining about ladders because there aren't very many in the new content.

Also because if there was a bugged ladder, most people would plan a road trip to Mass.

You missed his .

Nobody is complaining about ladders anymore because they're too busy raging out on the xp nerfing, broken raid, and shit loot.

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Nobody complains about ladders anymore because of fight club.

IP Logged

LordPiglet
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
I like MajMal.  I think he's doing the best he can with what's provided.  I think he's wants to do more, but some things are beyond his control

IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #36 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Nobody complains about ladders anymore because of fight club.

This is very true.

All hail Smrti.

Fuck Australia.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Major Mal probably had the best of intentions and was very excited when he got there.

Then he learned the hard reality of the QA department in any software company.   You are there to test the software, but you really aren't going to have the power stop any release from going out if management is at a hard deadline.

And management is going to be at a hard deadline that is not long enough because they believed the developers when the developers told them "We can code all this in 5 months". 

Then Management publicly tells their customers "MotU will be out in 6 months".

They give a month for testing... because testing should essentially be running the code the devs gave you and the approving it..... but wait, you found bugs... Wait, this means the devs have to do more coding... but they said they'd only need to code for 5 months... this gave you 1 month to run all your test plans to make sure it all worked.... so, let me get this straight... if you find bugs while running your test plan, then the devs have to make fixes, and then you have to start all over on your test plan that takes 1 month to run??!?!?!

Trust me.  I know this.   Management never understands the QA process.  You can explain it over and over, but they always EXPECT very few bugs to be in that code the programmers write.

Seriously, look at the Underdark and slaves you free.

Back when Amrath was released, A New Invasion has that optional about freeing prisoners.   at initial release, everyone in the party could open the dialog to free a prisoner.  Once everyone had it open, then you could all click at your leisure in the conversation to free it, and get credit for free 6 prisoners for each actual prisoner (Assuming you had 6 people in party).

Well, several updates later, Turbine made changes to it.  They didn't fix it completely, but now you have to have everyone synchronize their "freeing of the prisoner" and then you usually only get 2 or 3.

Well, in the Underark, the freeing of the slaves is back to the initial way the freeing of the prisoners worked in amrath.

Six people can get the dialog open at the same time...  Then everyone can attempt to free them at their leisure.  Doesn't matter how long it takes... the slave could be walking away from already freed 1 minute earlier, but as long as you have the dialog open you get credit for it.

So, here you have a process for this type of action that was fixed a long time to prevent this kind of exploit, but somewhere it was completely lost on the programmers.

With the breadth and scope of this game, the QA department is going to have to make a lot of assumptions when they are testing and attempting regression tests.   One of these assumptions would be "Well, we didn't expect the fucking programmers to fix this in one place, but then not use that same code here".

IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #38 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
One of DDOs biggest problems is their Spaghetti bowl codebase.

6 years overlapping itself over and over and over again, to the point where, if you move on line somewhere, it could move several other lines elsewhere.

I know it's naive to think this, but their best bet would be to hire a bunch more new people (on top of what they have already) and rewrite the code from the ground up. Make it so, when they DO patch it, it doesn't tear a hole in the stuff already there.

That's my non-programmer 2 cents anyhow.

All hail Smrti.

Fuck Australia.

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Mushrooms are doors.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Smrti wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:56pm:

6 years overlapping itself over and over and over again, to the point where, if you move on line somewhere, it could move several other lines elsewhere.

I know it's naive to think this, but their best bet would be to hire a bunch more new people (on top of what they have already) and rewrite the code from the ground up. Make it so, when they DO patch it, it doesn't tear a hole in the stuff already there.

That is totally clear to even a programtard like me.  When you say, "We are changing TWF to double strike chance!" and then repeaters stop working, there is a fucking issue that needs to be addressed.

IP Logged

pnellesen
Titan Demolisher

We can't all just get
along.

Reply #41 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:23pm:
Management is going to be at a hard deadline that is not long enough because they believed the developers when the developers told them "We can code all this in 5 months". 

Then Management publicly tells their customers "MotU will be out in 6 months".

They give a month for testing... because testing should essentially be running the code the devs gave you and the approving it..... but wait, you found bugs... Wait, this means the devs have to do more coding... but they said they'd only need to code for 5 months... this gave you 1 month to run all your test plans to make sure it all worked.... so, let me get this straight... if you find bugs while running your test plan, then the devs have to make fixes, and then you have to start all over on your test plan that takes 1 month to run??!?!?!

Trust me.  I know this.   Management never understands the QA process.  You can explain it over and over, but they always EXPECT very few bugs to be in that code the programmers write.

QFT. My email sig at work contains the line "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" because of the number of times I've seen this happen.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #42 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:23pm:
Seriously, look at the Underdark and slaves you free.

Back when Amrath was released, A New Invasion has that optional about freeing prisoners.   at initial release, everyone in the party could open the dialog to free a prisoner.  Once everyone had it open, then you could all click at your leisure in the conversation to free it, and get credit for free 6 prisoners for each actual prisoner (Assuming you had 6 people in party).

Well, several updates later, Turbine made changes to it.  They didn't fix it completely, but now you have to have everyone synchronize their "freeing of the prisoner" and then you usually only get 2 or 3.

Well, in the Underark, the freeing of the slaves is back to the initial way the freeing of the prisoners worked in amrath.

Six people can get the dialog open at the same time...  Then everyone can attempt to free them at their leisure.  Doesn't matter how long it takes... the slave could be walking away from already freed 1 minute earlier, but as long as you have the dialog open you get credit for it.

So, here you have a process for this type of action that was fixed a long time to prevent this kind of exploit, but somewhere it was completely lost on the programmers.

The saddest thing about that? There are quests almost as old as the game is where you cannot do this yet for some reason they keep breaking it.

Its like multiclassing monks and barbarians, they fixed it once after I decided to do the right thing and report it, next update? Bug is back, didn't bother to test it on the last build of Lammania but I assume it still works (wont do it on live as it's pretty obvious, lol)

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #43 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Quote:
That is totally clear to even a programtard like me.  When you say, "We are changing TWF to double strike chance!" and then repeaters stop working, there is a fucking issue that needs to be addressed.

I love you sometimes. /validated

All hail Smrti.

Fuck Australia.

IP Logged

Zhalian
Dragon Raider

Drama is best served fresh.

Reply #44 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Its obvious their process is flawed when you find out the version of the software they have to work with has almost nothing in common with live, or lamm or any other actual server.

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.
- Mel Brooks

IP Logged

kavinsky
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 7:17pm
Print Post  

This would solve soooo many problems.

IP Logged

sephiroth1084
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Jul 29th, 2012 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 11:28pm:
It's FoS the new items guy? it seems like he knows how to make anything other than weapons, but when it comes to weapons, he can't seem to comprehend why we don't like them? (like most of the raid weapons)

MM on the other hand came in trumpeting about how we shouldn't base things on the past, and how things were going to change with regard to Q&A etc etc and if anything, shits gone downhill even more, maybe nothing to do with anything he has or hasn't done (I think they are being pushed too hard deadline wise and rushing to get things working in an awful codebase and things screw up) but he's the public face of Q&A.

Alot of the other decision though are just totally fucking confusing, there seem to be alot of decisions being made that suggest they just don't understand how people play the game.

My guess?
Genasi didn't know jack about designing weapons. I know this because I had been messaging back and forth with him on the DDO forums for a fews days back when they started revamping old epic items and added the new stuff to VoD and HoX. I pointed out that they could add Greater Evil Outsider Bane, Holy Burst, Axiomatic Burst, and a bunch of other effects to the Hellstroke Greataxe and it still would be worse than the ESoS.

He admitted to having never used a DPS calculator. I sent him a link to Barrage, and explained how to use it. No idea if he ever did. Apparently, no one at Turbine ever told him he should be doing at least minimal DPS calcs when designing weapons, just like I'm sure no one has told Feather, and no one has told them that they should consider the other items new equipment has to compete against for each slot/series of effects.

So we get shit like the new raid weapons, with a bunch of effects on them, that look snazzy, until you actually plug them into a DPS calculator.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #47 - Jul 29th, 2012 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
The sad thing is, the ESOS was nerfed and it is still that amazing.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 8:48am
Print Post  

The problem with this is that this project would take at least a year to do.   In that year, they are going to still be developing new features on the existing code.  The team trying to un-spaghetti it would never be able to catch up.

And, even if they did, you'd have a completely new code base that would need about 6 months worth of testing.

Yeah, it sounds good on paper, but there's no way it could be done.   Not only with the logistics of it as I described, but ain't no way a company is going to spend that much money to rebuild a 6 year old game.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #49 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 9:07am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 8:48am:
And, even if they did, you'd have a completely new code base that would need about 6 months worth of testing.

I've seen the dirty underside of game code, I still have a couple rev's of EQ's source laying around here somewhere.  Rewriting the whole thing would take time, yes, but fixing the code rather than hacking the shit out of it over and over would take less time if they just did it.  Our armchair code guy and the nuclear physicist we had working on the project would take a couple hours a night and fixed things that had never worked in the emulator & specifically focused on hacks that had been written in.

Biggest thing about DDO is it seems everything is hard coded, right down to what items are generated in chests.  I also think the folks that originally wrote it, wrote it with the express idea they would be indispensable if they made it hard to understand.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint