Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Anyone Else Remember When We Liked MajMal? (Read 27138 times)
Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Anyone Else Remember When We Liked MajMal?
Jul 26th, 2012 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
I do, Here's why:

Quote:
There is still some confusion on why players are so nice to kobolds in Crystal Cove, but turn around and slaughter us on Kobold Island. Kobold just wanted a vacation!

So. Challenges!!! If you haven't guessed, Crystal Cove was a prototype for a new way to build stuff faster...and differently. There are some kinks still in the system with difficulty and rewards, but that from a implementation sense is the easy stuff. From a QA and Design sense, it is like trying to find a perfect middle ground...in an ocean.
Personally I'm excited by this system more than some of the other things we have done this year. I look at Stormreach as a place to play in, and not conforming to one set of rules. The idea that we can do things other than MMO accepted design, or explore other game types that MMO designers don't get to, or may never get to design is a win win for everyone. Happy players, happy designers...and happy QA folk. I know that there are some that  are not going to care for them. That's cool. There is more that could care less about raids, but we build them too. Give them a chance, remember sometimes it is about *fun* and not about *loot* (SACRILEGE BURN THE HERETIC!). If you don't find these fun, you might find one to your liking in the future. Personally I want a kobold throwing catapult game where I'm trying to knock down buildings in the harbor or a death match hockey game with exploding pucks or a racing game around 3 barrel cove on flying carpets. All possible without adding much new to the game.

Let's talk about Lamannia for a min. It is a preview world. I say that for a reason, because I want feedback, but I don't expect people to 'bug hunt'. That said, please remember you are seeing the unfinished product. Loot, xp numbers and such are the last things coming in. they are the wallpaper, we need to make sure the foundation is sturdy before doing the interior decorating.  We are attempting to get things out in front of people quicker and more often after the U10 crafting incident of 2011, but yes you will see things in a rougher state.
tomorrow there is an event for challenges-with real prizes! See Kookies announcements for more details!
I have plans for Lama in the future to make it more than a preview world...we shall see...

Bug fixes- there is talk about putting a plan in place to attack old bugs in 2012 (that is 2 months away already...how did that happen?) There were hundreds of fixes in the last patch, and I don't want to do mega patches like that again.

Lag-All I can say is there is an active investigation and we have made headway. But with U12 right around the corner we are waiting to put fixes out then. Trust me, this is the best option.

Mabar- I promise it will be better next year.

Fix in 12 that might not be known about: Cleric hirelings are no longer mad, but take 2pp for every heal...only kidding. Defensive healing works again, and wandering angry hirelings are more well behaved.

Also Epic chests no longer disappear. you can check that out on Lamannia

Well, happy weekend- Happy Halloween and...

Go Pats!

This was posted in October of 2011.

WTF Happened? Is Turbine seriously that toxic?
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2012 at 8:46pm by Smrti »  

Munkenmo wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:41pm:
All hail Smrti.

Felgor wrote on Sep 11th, 2012 at 11:18pm:
Fuck Australia.

rev Jim wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:40am:
I wish I was a rich black woman sometimes........

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Re: Anyone Else Remember When We Liked MajMal?
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
I've worked in really toxic environments before.  People come in trying *really* hard to make a change and they just get beat down over time.

It's disappointing.

fnord

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Kinda like the story with the monkeys and the bananas.  They put the bananas on a post, and any monkey that tries to get them down gets blasted with a jet from a fire house.

Overtime, they replaced the monkeys one at a time and the new guy would try to get the bananas only to get beat down by his peers and not the blast of water.  Even when all the monkeys had been replaced many times over, no monkey would allow another monkey to get the bananas and none of them knew why.

Keep in mind, I still like Mal as a person, he seems he means well.  But the train wreck of fuck and suck that is Turbine as they continue to depress me year after year has my eternal distrust and I take the time to trash talk the company to anyone that wants to listen.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2012 at 9:03pm by Aeolwind »  

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Despite all the shit we give him, and all the problems we cause him, I think he likes us. He has zero reason to come here. Zero. 404Error is checking the Vault regularly, as well as a bunch of other Turbine employees. There is really no need for all of them to do that.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 9:11pm:
Despite all the shit we give him, and all the problems we cause him, I think he likes us. He has zero reason to come here. Zero. 404Error is checking the Vault regularly, as well as a bunch of other Turbine employees. There is really no need for all of them to do that.

Scary they think this cesspool of psychotics is more right than Fernando.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 9:14pm:
Scary they think this cesspool of psychotics is more right than

I didn't say that. They have to take of their jobs. That is where their loyalty is. It is where mine would be. I like my paycheck.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
I still like maj mal, sure he's made a couple of posts that rub me the wrong way, but who the fuck hasnt?

I'm pretty sure he had to lobby hard, and mostly for our benefit for that bugs section to be allowed.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Hey now, he's still the last one up against the wall when I inevitably go on my Turbine killing spree.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
I don't have any problem with MM. 

I think Feather's clueless and doesn't know how the average player plays and their decision making processes along the way. If FOS hadn't made the Coyle nor the Medusa comment, I don't think he would've made any inroads with any of the forumites for any other thing he's done.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Smrti wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 8:45pm:
I do, Here's why:

This was posted in October of 2011.

WTF Happened? Is Turbine seriously that toxic?

I have no basis to speculate about the work environment, but two things stick out that I'm sure could grind anyone down:

1.  Nerd rage after nerd rage after nerd rage, despite their best efforts to work with the community.  This, coupled with a general lack of participation on Lammania.

2.  Bugs that just.  won't.  die.  He's in QA, so I'm sure it's especially frustrating to see the same damn things break time after time.  I imagine it's a pride thing.  It probably makes it tough to come out and take a stand when you have no faith that the whole thing won't implode in a fiery explosion and prove you wrong, just like the last X number of times.  You have to have confidence to take a stand.  I think it would be hard to have confidence in the product, just based on my observations.

At any rate, I still think he's a good guy.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2012 at 11:22pm by Schmoe »  

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
I refuse to play on lama land for a few reasons.

One of them being, it is not my job to test their product for them. If they paid me to do it, I'd consider it. But I don't pay my sub to do their work.

Munkenmo wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:41pm:
All hail Smrti.

Felgor wrote on Sep 11th, 2012 at 11:18pm:
Fuck Australia.

rev Jim wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:40am:
I wish I was a rich black woman sometimes........

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #11 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Bill Z Bubb wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 11:05pm:
I don't have any problem with MM. 

I think Feather's clueless and doesn't know how the average player plays and their decision making processes along the way. If FOS hadn't made the Coyle nor the Medusa comment, I don't think he would've made any inroads with any of the forumites for any other thing he's done.

It's FoS the new items guy? it seems like he knows how to make anything other than weapons, but when it comes to weapons, he can't seem to comprehend why we don't like them? (like most of the raid weapons)

MM on the other hand came in trumpeting about how we shouldn't base things on the past, and how things were going to change with regard to Q&A etc etc and if anything, shits gone downhill even more, maybe nothing to do with anything he has or hasn't done (I think they are being pushed too hard deadline wise and rushing to get things working in an awful codebase and things screw up) but he's the public face of Q&A.

Alot of the other decision though are just totally fucking confusing, there seem to be alot of decisions being made that suggest they just don't understand how people play the game.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
I've bitched at Maj when I think he dropped the ball and I've praised him when I think he's done well.  The reality is this update isn't his fault.  It was too much, too big and untestable.  You cannot change all the basic combat mechanics then add destinies on top of that and expect anything stable.  You must always build from a solid core and fucking with the core before a huge addition like this was stupid.  Maj does what he can but is hamstrung by shitty leadership.  This whole expansion was a debacle from a project planning and development stand point.  Turbine has terrible project managers and the game suffers for it.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Vexation
Waterworks Kobold

Blah, Blah, Blah...

Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Feather is an arrogant asshole who thinks his own shit is so awesome it should be made into potions of arrogance and players should have to punch their own mothers in the face to get one.

Honestly, I don't know how he gets away with the pure I-love-myself-the-rest-of-you-go-to-hell stuff he posts that repeatedly gets whitewashed by the mods.

Now he's started adding ! to the end of his posts.  I think he thinks it makes him look friendly!  It doesn't!

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 1:41am
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 11:21pm:
I have no basis to speculate about the work environment, but two things stick out that I'm sure could grind anyone down:

1.  Nerd rage after nerd rage after nerd rage, despite their best efforts to work with the community.  This, coupled with a general lack of participation on Lammania.

2.  Bugs that just.  won't.  die.  He's in QA, so I'm sure it's especially frustrating to see the same damn things break time after time.  I imagine it's a pride thing.  It probably makes it tough to come out and take a stand when you have no faith that the whole thing won't implode in a fiery explosion and prove you wrong, just like the last X number of times.  You have to have confidence to take a stand.  I think it would be hard to have confidence in the product, just based on my observations.

At any rate, I still think he's a good guy.

I concur.
Though on the Lammania subject he promised to find a way to reward participation on live and did... even if he couldn't reward everybody. My White Doggy Pet is not much ( along with the pots ) but it's still a reward for bug hunting.
As a 'Fireman' in Telecom, Bugs in complex systems are tough to kill... and in some case we just have to bear with them ( we have one on e system that shows it's head every few month... The workaround is a PITA to do, especially at 0:Indecent Hour in the night, but it won't get fixed, ever, because hunting it down is even more a PITA. ( Apache, Java, Named Pipes and Solaris Process control Interactions )
And I won't even start on bugs that reappear, but I can make a few educated guesses from my job. In telco the software has a 'patch area' along with the software blocks. If a given block needs to be patched the patch goes into that area. When a major revision of the software is made the patches are either integrated into the main code ( if needed ) or lifted [ read : updated ] to fit the new revision of the software block. Now as there's several hundred software blocks in a whole telco system, you end up with several thousand patches... Some are lost, some are forgotten, some are not deemed worthy of update, and it's can be decided that the software change should fix some other... thus old bugs rearing their head once again. ( and me being called at an hours where I'd really prefer sleeping, fucking or play DDO instead of rumaging through a bug/patch database to try to find a fix to a problem [ or creating my own patch on the fly, or fixing the problem by restarting the system, or ... ] )

So yes I'll bash MajMal when he deserves it, but the rest of the time I know the thankless task he has to perform.

We all need to remember he got dumped on a 6 year old piece of code that seems to have no revision information, no bug tracking and the complexity of telco software ( massive real time actions handling on several separate processors with a near real-time backend ). Add to that a huge database ( that they are not willing to purge of the inactive stuff ) with a ( probably shitty ) data model that could use a complete redesign due to the 6 years of added ( crafting, epic, My DDO, ... ), removed ( Offer Wall, XP Debt, ... ) or broken things ( Guild Ranking, My DDO, ... ) that never truly worked.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Eye Dash
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 4:51am
Print Post  
Smrti wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 11:27pm:
I refuse to play on lama land for a few reasons.

One of them being, it is not my job to test their product for them. If they paid me to do it, I'd consider it. But I don't pay my sub to do their work.

As a player with ALOT of free time I'd test their stuff for let's say 200TP per day on Lama (many would value their time more than this though).

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 5:30am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jul 26th, 2012 at 10:22pm:
I still like maj mal, sure he's made a couple of posts that rub me the wrong way, but who the fuck hasnt?

I haven't.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #17 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 5:32am
Print Post  
Quote:
Hey now, he's still the last one up against the wall when I inevitably go on my Turbine killing spree.

I will leave a note on MajMals windshield saying, "Your car battery is missing, I highly suggest you don't come into work today if you have a spare."

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Dracosanct
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Don't promise a steak if all you have is the manure.

Also, would love to get that kobold catapulting quest some day. I'd play it for 0 loot and 0 xp even.

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #19 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 7:49am
Print Post  
He at least seems to care about the game.

On another note, despite all the bugs and the fucked up raid, I'm still enjoying the new stuff.

Be nice if they get around to fixing some shit tho.

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #20 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Calvet wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 7:49am:
He at least seems to care about the game.

On another note, despite all the bugs and the fucked up raid, I'm still enjoying the new stuff.

Be nice if they get around to fixing some shit tho.

Yeah, he seems to care more then the devs do.  If only he had the power to make QA mean more then, "Oh that is nice, we can fix it later maybe."  I enjoy it, until now.  My monk has nowhere to grind xp.  Challenges are borked, I have run all of the epics on n/h/e and am now gaining massive rerun penalties.  For all of the old content they already had 50 billion runs on them including von 5.  Anyone if an LR resets rerun penalties? I don't think it does if I remember right, I might have to TR and use a stone real quick.

It still fucking irks me what they did to WF.  Everyone else has amazing gear choices and WF are stuck with fucking horseshit for docents.  I mean seriously, ancient gemstone? Fucking piece of shit.  It doesn't even make up for the set bonuses, that is fucking worthless it is.
Then there is the stoneheart.  Only +8, no +3 insight stat bonuses on it.  Protect, resist, and toughness.  Wow, they tried real fucking hard there.  You can really tell they put some effort into both of those fucking retarded docents.  Shit like that really fucking gets me.  The worst part is, they didn't have docents at first for the sets then they spawn both of these fucking things.  Your only real option is the fucking red scale docent.  It is just that fucking pathetic.  I wish they would let us use the old red scale docent as as a set bonus or give us a way to "reforge" it into the cormyrian one.  Like, 5 extra red scales and congrats on your reforged red scale docent.  Whatever, it isn't like they ever think of anything when it goes away from their own shitty ideas.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #21 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 8:25am
Print Post  
If they fixed the xp rep thing, a lot of people would wind their necks in a bit and get back to grinding xp.  The bamboo smoking devs could take their sweet old time fixing the other stuff then with less strokes on the forums.

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

Vexation
Waterworks Kobold

Blah, Blah, Blah...

Reply #22 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 8:12am:
It still fucking irks me what they did to WF.  Everyone else has amazing gear choices and WF are stuck with fucking horseshit for docents.  I mean seriously, ancient gemstone? Fucking piece of shit.  It doesn't even make up for the set bonuses, that is fucking worthless it is.
Then there is the stoneheart.  Only +8, no +3 insight stat bonuses on it.  Protect, resist, and toughness.  Wow, they tried real fucking hard there.  You can really tell they put some effort into both of those fucking retarded docents.  Shit like that really fucking gets me.  The worst part is, they didn't have docents at first for the sets then they spawn both of these fucking things.  Your only real option is the fucking red scale docent.  It is just that fucking pathetic.  I wish they would let us use the old red scale docent as as a set bonus or give us a way to "reforge" it into the cormyrian one.  Like, 5 extra red scales and congrats on your reforged red scale docent.  Whatever, it isn't like they ever think of anything when it goes away from their own shitty ideas.

You so silly.  Feather of Sun doesn't play warforged.   They don't need gear.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #23 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Vexation wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 9:21am:
You so silly.  Feather of Sun doesn't play warforged.   They don't need gear.

Yeah, and monks can use longswords and short swords!

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

dubyprime
Waterworks Kobold

Stainer scares me.

Reply #24 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Feather posted somewhere..."..I don't play WF.." or something to that nature.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint