Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Anyone Else Remember When We Liked MajMal? (Read 27157 times)
bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Anyone Else Remember When We Liked MajMal?
Reply #50 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 9:07am:
I've seen the dirty underside of game code, I still have a couple rev's of EQ's source laying around here somewhere.  Rewriting the whole thing would take time, yes, but fixing the code rather than hacking the shit out of it over and over would take less time if they just did it.  Our armchair code guy and the nuclear physicist we had working on the project would take a couple hours a night and fixed things that had never worked in the emulator & specifically focused on hacks that had been written in.

Biggest thing about DDO is it seems everything is hard coded, right down to what items are generated in chests.  I also think the folks that originally wrote it, wrote it with the express idea they would be indispensable if they made it hard to understand.

sounds like you had guys who were passionate about the game and liked to play it.   Turbine doesn't seem to have that.

IP Logged

RJ
Korthos Resident

Dungeon Master

Reply #51 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 10:51am
Print Post  
On a different note I think they should revamp the entire game, all the graphics, redo the UI to better match the ED system, and wipe ALL characters. This might cause an uproar, but DDO is outdated.

LvL 80s: Thief, Necro, Warrior, Guardian, and Elementalist. Leader of the Dragon Blood Cult [DBC] of Maguuma.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 11:02am
Print Post  
RJ wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 10:51am:
On a different note I think they should revamp the entire game, all the graphics, redo the UI to better match the ED system, and wipe ALL characters. This might cause an uproar, but DDO is outdated.

Your mom is outdated.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #53 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 11:13am
Print Post  
I've seen the dirty underside of game code, I still have a couple rev's of EQ's source laying around here somewhere.  Rewriting the whole thing would take time, yes, but fixing the code rather than hacking the shit out of it over and over would take less time if they just did it.  Our armchair code guy and the nuclear physicist we had working on the project would take a couple hours a night and fixed things that had never worked in the emulator & specifically focused on hacks that had been written in.

Biggest thing about DDO is it seems everything is hard coded, right down to what items are generated in chests.  I also think the folks that originally wrote it, wrote it with the express idea they would be indispensable if they made it hard to understand.

I honestly don't think the game was ever designed to last more than 2 or 3 years, but here we are.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Vexation
Waterworks Kobold

Blah, Blah, Blah...

Reply #54 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
RJ wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 10:51am:

No, that would lose them lots of money.  Leave DDO as it is, create DDO2 for people to move to who are bored, condense the existing game down to less servers and stop expanding DDO1.

Honestly, they could have left Eberron as DDO1 and built a new game for Forgotten Realms, DDO2.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #55 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
The Engine is a nightmarish mess and so outdated it's ridiculous.  I think the lag and performance issues we are seeing is the end result of pushing a poorly built engine to it's limits.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

LordPiglet
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
The Engine is a nightmarish mess and so outdated it's ridiculous.  I think the lag and performance issues we are seeing is the end result of pushing a poorly built engine to it's limits.

As I recall, they just redid the engine at the end of last year.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #57 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
All it takes is for a new way of thinking to take hold.  All new code should be procedurized.  Any code they have to modify should be procedurized when practical.  Make sure that only experienced database coders are allowed to handle the tables/indexes and SQL statements.  They just have to begin doing it in an incremental process because it's a sure bet the Pointy Haired Bosses will never accept a full blown rewrite.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #58 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Biggest thing about DDO is it seems everything is hard coded, right down to what items are generated in chests. 

It's so hardcoded that a friend with a rogue and an item that substract 30 SP ends up with a 64BitInt-30 SP pool ( potential as he in fact has 0 SP, but the value is downright funny to see on a rogue )

Auran wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 11:13am:
I honestly don't think the game was ever designed to last more than 2 or 3 years, but here we are.

Probably true. IMHO it was probably in Atari's mind a spare wheel in case NWN2 failed ( which it did IMNSHO ) to keep people addicted while the next instance of NWN was developped.

Bill Z Bubb wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 2:14pm:
All it takes is for a new way of thinking to take hold.  All new code should be procedurized.  Any code they have to modify should be procedurized when practical.  Make sure that only experienced database coders are allowed to handle the tables/indexes and SQL statements.  They just have to begin doing it in an incremental process because it's a sure bet the Pointy Haired Bosses will never accept a full blown rewrite.

It's probably all procedurized and object code.
As for the database... Trust me, it can go messy without the help of PHBs.

We have no idea of the real infrastructure at the backend ( server ) side.
We could have multiple SQL DBs spread on multiple servers all talking to a heavilly parallelized system where the instance number represent a physical server.
Or we could have a single virtual machine handling everything internally.
Or we could have a mainframe.
All in all we can know what happens client side, we can know what happens at protocol level between client and 'server' but we know shit about how things are handled server side.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #59 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
LordPiglet wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 2:02pm:
As I recall, they just redid the engine at the end of last year.

Lies.  Filthy lies.  The put perfume on the existing pig.

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #60 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 9:44am:
sounds like you had guys who were passionate about the game and liked to play it.   Turbine doesn't seem to have that.

So passionate that Sony offered the arm chair coder a job if he'd shut down the project.  The site is still in my name, kinda funny to get a C&D and start laughing so hard the attorney asks if you are ok.  Also, it spurred Sony to make a 'classic' server for EQ, but they couldn't unbreak some of their stuff like P99 had.

Probably the best thing that could happen to Turbine would a copy of their source to get leaked and let a handful of people with more time than brains create an emulator.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #61 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 11:13am:

I think this is more true than we know.  I think WOTC wanted to test the waters for an FR MMO and things got put off until we are here with a shit code base, half assed developers dealing with the most recognizable fantasy IP probably ever.
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2012 at 3:11pm by Aeolwind »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #62 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 2:39pm:
Lies.  Filthy lies.  The put perfume on the existing pig.

And it was that smelly grandma perfume too.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 3:49pm:
And it was that smelly grandma perfume too.

Why do all grandmas smell like vitamins and mothballs?

IP Logged

Elegorne
DQ Assaulter

Reply #64 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Why do all grandmas smell like vitamins and mothballs?

Those are Geritol farts that you are smelling....

Elegorne,Wizegorne,Healegorne and some other gimp toons on Thelanis

IP Logged

Mr Poop
Korthos Resident

I Love Doctor Ama!

Reply #65 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
CCP did it with the Carbon revamp, too bad that after years of trying (and several hundred dollars later) I still can't get into their marquee space game.  If they manage to do WOD correctly, you can has my stuffz.

Please don't refer to poop as shit, it stinks when that happens.

Thanks in advance,
Mr Poop

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #66 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Mr Poop wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 3:27pm:
CCP did it with the Carbon revamp, too bad that after years of trying (and several hundred dollars later) I still can't get into their marquee space game.  If they manage to do WOD correctly, you can has my stuffz.

EVE is awesome.  It's one of the only games I ever had to force myself to quit because I was getting sucked too deeply in.  I was setting alarms to get up and set new training.  CCP is a pretty awesome company I'd be interested to see their next offering.  What they did with the Council of Stellar Management was cutting in edge in MMO development and community interaction.

Quote:

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #67 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 4:26pm:
EVE is awesome.  It's one of the only games I ever had to force myself to quit because I was getting sucked too deeply in.  I was setting alarms to get up and set new training.  CCP is a pretty awesome company I'd be interested to see their next offering.  What they did with the Council of Stellar Management was cutting in edge in MMO development and community interaction.

What I found amazing about Eve was the fall off a cliff learning curve. I think the crux of enjoying that as a game (since the PvE environments are pretty but get tedious quickly) is to get in a good guild corp.

I bought 6 months sub because of a good friend, but the learning curve just seemed insurmountable, you know? particularly when the good friend insisted you play in their mini corp..

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #68 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:25pm:
What I found amazing about Eve was the fall off a cliff learning curve. I think the crux of enjoying that as a game (since the PvE environments are pretty but get tedious quickly) is to get in a good guild corp.

I bought 6 months sub because of a good friend, but the learning curve just seemed insurmountable, you know? particularly when the good friend insisted you play in their mini corp..

Very true.  It's also the beauty of the game.  It's entirely player driven.  Economy, politics, war, peace...everything.  Immersion is 100% and anything goes.  It's a living world unlike many MMO's.  What was safe yesterday or last week could be hostile today.  Spies, pirates, bounty hunters, smugglers, traders...you can truly be what you want to be given the time and inclination.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mr Poop
Korthos Resident

I Love Doctor Ama!

Reply #69 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:37pm:
Very true.  It's also the beauty of the game.  It's entirely player driven.  Economy, politics, war, peace...everything.  Immersion is 100% and anything goes.  It's a living world unlike many MMO's.  What was safe yesterday or last week could be hostile today.  Spies, pirates, bounty hunters, smugglers, traders...you can truly be what you want to be given the time and inclination.

Agreed, fully!

Though after failing (my fail, not CCP's) to get my bearings in PvP and being rejected by The Bastards not once, but three times, I decided to let my 10 billion+ empire rot.

Can't wait for WODMMO, its the White Wolf merge that got me on board with EVE in the first place.

If anyone wants a shit ton of ships (Nightmare, lots of faction frigs and cruisers, Caldari carrier, etc.) and a few gazillion isk, please send Stainer your penis photo.  It will be judged by effort, not by size - blatantly contradicting popular belief.  Though you will have to come down to Solitude to claim the stuffz.

Please don't refer to poop as shit, it stinks when that happens.

Thanks in advance,
Mr Poop

IP Logged

kmack
Shroud Slacker

Reply #70 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
I liked MajMal when this happened.

IP Logged

Vexation
Waterworks Kobold

Blah, Blah, Blah...

Reply #71 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Big fat kudos to MajMal for caring enough to give us an update.

And I've always liked him. And MadFloyd.  And Kookie and 404.  However, Feather of Ass can kiss mine.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #72 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 12:31am
Print Post  
kmack wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 10:58pm:

Yep. That'll get my respect and cooperation pretty much every time. Kinda makes me wish things weren't so harry lately sos I could check more out.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #73 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 12:57am
Print Post  

Yeah real Kobold Assurance...

« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2012 at 1:02am by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Lost_Leader
Korthos Resident

I Love Whiskey!

Reply #74 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 2:16am
Print Post  

I am at the point where I will believe it when I see it. Let's see if they live up to that list when U15 goes live. And let's see how much is on the new list that they break.

I hate to be a pessimist, but it seems more often then not after an update I shrug/sigh/facepalm a lot more than I cheer.

I don't get drunk . . . just less sober!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint