Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) what computer to buy? (Read 8943 times)
cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Re: what computer to buy?
Reply #25 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 11:49am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:47pm:
IMO, if you're going for mid range GPUs like the 7570, you might as well grab an A10 and crossfire it.  If you go with intel, you're basically spending money on an iGPU that won't be used (all new processors come with an iGPU now.)  You'd get much better gaming performance with an A10. 

Fuck that. I'm not completely up to speed (haven't built a machine since late last year), but Intel has been tops in CPU performance for years now. Even if you're supposedly "spending money on an iGPU that won't be used" Intel CPUs still kick AMD's ass unless AMD somehow massively caught up in the past few months.

Also, I haven't seen anything about crossfiring with the new AMD desktop CPUs, but it's almost certainly going to lock you in to a very narrow selection of graphics cards. Haven't seen anything about whether the crossfire performance beats Intel either.

And ultimately, if all you're playing is DDO you don't really care about 3D performance - at this stage you could probably run DDO just fine on an Intel iGPU alone.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #26 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Fuck buying dual cheaper cards.  Buy a solid DX11 card with minimum 1 GB on-board and upgrade that fucker every 2 years.  If you buy a mid to high board and chip you should easily get 6 years out of the base box and just upgrading the video card from around $250 every 2 years will keep you running top end games without and issue.  If you buy a high enough end board you could even slip in a chip upgrade at the 3 year mark if you feel the need.

Best advice... don't skimp on the case.  Make sure it has enough fan slots.  Make sure it has top and/or front USB.  Make sure it has access to the CPU cooler bolts and without having to remove the mother board.  Buy as many fans as the case will hold.  Buy an aftermarket CPU cooler.  Always oversize on the Power Supply.

Do use Tom's Hardware
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2012 at 12:02pm by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #27 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Jul 28th, 2012 at 9:08am:
Seriously, read up on AMD trinity before you knock it.  The A10 can play every new game on the market in medium settings easily.  You're basically getting discrete GPU performance for much less price.  That's the point, that's why it's such a great budget gamer deal.

HP Blows Goats.

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #28 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Jul 28th, 2012 at 9:18pm:
My computer recently went kerblooie.  The new computer that I'm ending up with is
my dad's power supply that he was going to put in his one computer but never got around to,
the extra motherboard that he bought because his died but it turned out to be bad memory, so he has an extra motherboard,
the 3rd 4GB memory stick that a friend of mine bought because he didn't know that you had to buy either 1 stick or an even number of sticks, and
an AMD Phenom II 965 x4 3.something GHz whatever blah blah that was $90 because I had to actually buy a chip.

I rolled a critical hit on my scavange attempt.  I am a big fan of building from parts.  If you can get your hands on relatively recent "spare parts", anything that you end up with at that price will make you happy since it is so much better than whatever you have.  Just make sure you buy a new hard drive each time you get a new computer because hard drives do go bad after a few years and losing all of your data really sucks even if you do have a backup (which almost no one actually does).

I built Sisster a machine 2 years ago the exact same way now I'm grabbing a piece a month to make her a new box.

Quote:

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #29 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Roldon wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 9:48pm:
If you're really set on Dell and not building one yourself (or getting a mate to give you a hand putting it all together, it really isn't that hard, nowadays most components can only fit into one specific location) i'd go with the &
$700 XPS 8500 http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=fxdopu48&model_id=xps-8500...; mostly because its the only desktop i can see there that doesn't have on-board shithouse GPU's. Throw in a decent monitor and you're looking at a bit under 900.

Wrong.

If you are set on Dell scrounge the Dell Outlet, where they resell returns.  The machines are in perfect repaired condition and carry a full warrentee.  You get a nice discount because the machine was shipped once and had to be returned so it can't be sold as new again.

Quote:

IP Logged

Zhalian
Dragon Raider

Drama is best served fresh.

Reply #30 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Hmm that's a good idea actually and one that never occurred to me, I need to get a comp for a family member and can't really build one atm.  Thanks for the tip Eladiun.

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.
- Mel Brooks

IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #31 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 11:57am:
Fuck buying dual cheaper cards.  Buy a solid DX11 card with minimum 1 GB on-board and upgrade that fucker every 2 years.  If you buy a mid to high board and chip you should easily get 6 years out of the base box and just upgrading the video card from around $250 every 2 years will keep you running top end games without and issue.  If you buy a high enough end board you could even slip in a chip upgrade at the 3 year mark if you feel the need.

Best advice... don't skimp on the case.  Make sure it has enough fan slots.  Make sure it has top and/or front USB.  Make sure it has access to the CPU cooler bolts and without having to remove the mother board.  Buy as many fans as the case will hold.  Buy an aftermarket CPU cooler.  Always oversize on the Power Supply.

Do use Tom's Hardware

that is like recommending a ford F450 for a vehicle to comute to work.  SURE it will get you there, but damn sight of overkill for the job & ends up costing you more than you should be paying for it....

If you get a quad core A-6 or A-8 with 8 gigs of ram it will run any game on the market today, depending on the resolution at high to low graphics.  But it will run.  Add a $125 video card & that goes up to ultra high to mid.  Depending your budget it can be anywhere from $500-$900 with warrenty from one of the online retailers.

from Preamus: Quote:
at least i'm agnostic so while I "think" you're full of crap I don't "know" you're full of crap

Strakeln wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:37pm:
JakLee will be the bailiff.  He's got a stun gun and everything.

Have you seen my platypus?
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who need closure.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #32 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
JakLee wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 1:48pm:
that is like recommending a ford F450 for a vehicle to comute to work.  SURE it will get you there, but damn sight of overkill for the job & ends up costing you more than you should be paying for it....

If you get a quad core A-6 or A-8 with 8 gigs of ram it will run any game on the market today, depending on the resolution at high to low graphics.  But it will run.  Add a $125 video card & that goes up to ultra high to mid.  Depending your budget it can be anywhere from $500-$900 with warrenty from one of the online retailers.

You buy shit you get shit and you are back where you started in a year and a half.
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2012 at 2:06pm by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

LordPiglet
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 12:09pm:
Wrong.

If you are set on Dell scrounge the Dell Outlet, where they resell returns.  The machines are in perfect repaired condition and carry a full warrentee.  You get a nice discount because the machine was shipped once and had to be returned so it can't be sold as new again.

best place by far.  We buy work machines, I bought my xps for the house, for my parents all from there.  I no longer want to do support so it was easy and cheep to get from there, with 3 year onsite warranties, etc.

Outlet.dell.com is the site, then even send coupons for extra money off.  If you buy a refurb monitor with the system, the systems warranty covers it.

hmm, alienwares are currently an extra 25% off with the coupon, you can also save on the inspiron.
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2012 at 2:14pm by LordPiglet »  

IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #34 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 2:04pm:
You buy shit you get shit and you are back where you started in a year and a half. 

which is why I recommended stuff that isn't shit

from Preamus: Quote:
at least i'm agnostic so while I "think" you're full of crap I don't "know" you're full of crap

Strakeln wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:37pm:
JakLee will be the bailiff.  He's got a stun gun and everything.

Have you seen my platypus?
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who need closure.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 11:49am:
Fuck that. I'm not completely up to speed (haven't built a machine since late last year), but Intel has been tops in CPU performance for years now. Even if you're supposedly "spending money on an iGPU that won't be used" Intel CPUs still kick AMD's ass unless AMD somehow massively caught up in the past few months.

Also, I haven't seen anything about crossfiring with the new AMD desktop CPUs, but it's almost certainly going to lock you in to a very narrow selection of graphics cards. Haven't seen anything about whether the crossfire performance beats Intel either.

And ultimately, if all you're playing is DDO you don't really care about 3D performance - at this stage you could probably run DDO just fine on an Intel iGPU alone.

I have a i5 trinity, and the iGPU isn't enough to play DDO at anything I would consider reasonable.  Of course intel has better CPU than AMD, so in the high end gaming market AMD doesn't compete. 

But according the laptop benchmarks, the A10 alone is as good as a mid-range GPU and a crossfired A10 is about equivalent with a GT 650M with a much cheaper GPU, so it's obvious that the A10 has the best value at that price range. 
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2012 at 6:33pm by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Rastelin
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 11:57am:

Do use Tom's Hardware

This this this.

For the love of god, don't try to run games on an integrated graphics unit. Dedicated  GPUs are 1000x better

IP Logged

Roldon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 12:09pm:
Wrong.

Good idea, forgot about the Dell Outlet. The only problem/s, is that you need to check the outlet site often to get the PC with the configuration you want, not great if you're on a deadline, and do they do financing on the machines from there? I think that was a consideration for the OP.

Lol.. just had a look through the US outlet site.. all those overpriced Alienware boxes being returned.

IMO it basically comes down to this: the A10 will be behind on processing power in the future even if you add in a discrete GPU, the intel i5 scales better with improvements to your GPU but is more expensive overall, either one will play DDO decently, most likely on a decently high setting, just not on max. Pay less now and upgrade again in a shorter timeframe, or pay more now and not upgrade for a bit longer.

the A10 might be able to keep pace with upgrades in the future, i don't know, and it's probable years of shitbox integrated graphics are biasing me. But till i see a direct comparison of A10 IGP vs discrete, i'll always steer clear of IGP, especially since generally IGP doesn't have it's own dedicated RAM.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint