Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) what computer to buy? (Read 8913 times)
Nerdychaz
Waterworks Kobold

I was queer before the
ponies!

what computer to buy?
Jul 27th, 2012 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
So, my video card on my laptop is showing it's age and now crashes 5 seconds into any quest. So, i am planning to buy a new computer, a desktop. I am hoping that the more techy folk in the vault can help me choose the right computer. I was thinking of using Dell so i can finance it through them.  Its pretty much my only option financially.

I don't want to spend more than $800, and i want a PC that can run DDO well. I don't need to have surface reflections and an HD client (but it would be nice).  I have gotten used to a 1400x900 display, so a computer that can run that would be swell as well.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Re: what computer to buy?
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Are you comfortable building one?

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Nerdychaz
Waterworks Kobold

I was queer before the
ponies!

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
not really, iam mechanically inept

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
There's unfortunately been a couple news stories now about the 27" $300 korean monitors, get one while they still exist. Look on eBay for FSM-270YG or Catleap, and pick a seller with good feedback. They're built on secondhand panels, now that the secret's out prices probably go up and/or the sellers run out.

And hell, build your own PC. Anyone who can turn a screw can build a PC.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2012 at 7:02pm by cdr »  

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Office Max is selling AMDs new A10 trinity for $500.  If you don't mind buying AMD, I think this is a really sweet deal for a budget gamer -  I'm fairly certain that you'd end up paying more for parts if you ended up trying to build something similar yourself.  You could probably run DDO on near max settings with this build. 

http://www.officemax.com/technology/computers/desktop-computers/product-prod4040...
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2012 at 8:40am by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 8:46am
Print Post  
That computer is awesome!  The graphics card especially is amazing!

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Seriously, read up on AMD trinity before you knock it.  The A10 can play every new game on the market in medium settings easily.  You're basically getting discrete GPU performance for much less price.  That's the point, that's why it's such a great budget gamer deal.

IP Logged

malo
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Get a solid state drive.  For DDO it works.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Oh yeah, any mid range graphic card will be able to do DDO on max settings and a SSD is the second most important thing to speed up games.

A good SSD - buy Crucial or Intel brand only - will massively reduce load times. HDDs have spun at the same speed for 15 years, SSDs only get faster and faster. The newer SSDs can push bits as fast as SATA3 can move them, like 20x faster than a HDD. That's the difference between a 3 second load time and a 60 second load time.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
My computer recently went kerblooie.  The new computer that I'm ending up with is
my dad's power supply that he was going to put in his one computer but never got around to,
the extra motherboard that he bought because his died but it turned out to be bad memory, so he has an extra motherboard,
the 3rd 4GB memory stick that a friend of mine bought because he didn't know that you had to buy either 1 stick or an even number of sticks, and
an AMD Phenom II 965 x4 3.something GHz whatever blah blah that was $90 because I had to actually buy a chip.

I rolled a critical hit on my scavange attempt.  I am a big fan of building from parts.  If you can get your hands on relatively recent "spare parts", anything that you end up with at that price will make you happy since it is so much better than whatever you have.  Just make sure you buy a new hard drive each time you get a new computer because hard drives do go bad after a few years and losing all of your data really sucks even if you do have a backup (which almost no one actually does).

fnord

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Jul 28th, 2012 at 9:18pm:
Just make sure you buy a new hard drive each time you get a new computer

I would stress always getting a new reputable power supply

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #11 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Jul 28th, 2012 at 9:18pm:
Just make sure you buy a new hard drive each time you get a new computer because hard drives do go bad after a few years and losing all of your data really sucks even if you do have a backup (which almost no one actually does).

I actually keep what some would consider redundant backup.  I always have one drive for OS and programs, and one drive for program installation files/documents/media/pics/anything I want to keep.  And I also have an external on which I keep a copy of that second drive.  So if anything ever happens to my OS drive, all I have to do is replace the drive and the OS, and reinstall my drivers and programs, but I don't actually lose anything.  If anything ever happens to my second drive, I replace it and import everything from my external, so I still don't actually lose anything unless I haven't backed up in a while (which I try to do once a month or so, just start the process before I leave to go somewhere and when I get back it's done).

I prefer this approach over partitions because if the drive actually goes kaput, having a partition doesn't matter, you still lose it.  If the backup is on a completely different drive and the first drive goes bad, it's a different story.
So one drive for OS, one drive for all *my* stuff, and one drive for backup of my stuff.  The second internal drive for my stuff is the one that people would call redundant, as a partition would work for that.  But I like having that extra drive.  It just makes it easier if the OS drive takes a shit.  Then I don't need to start from scratch and import everything from the backup.  All I have to do is the system stuff and programs.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2012 at 10:30pm by Cale »  

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2012 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jul 28th, 2012 at 9:36pm:
I would stress always getting a new reputable power supply

If you have a good power supply that works, no need to get a new one unless you're upping the power draw in the new build.

Definitely worth buying a quality one when you're buying one, though. Rating doesn't matter, brand/quality does. The oldest part in my current machine is a 500W Antec supply that's probably 10+ years old.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Jul 29th, 2012 at 11:24pm:
If you have a good power supply that works, no need to get a new one unless you're upping the power draw in the new build

Or if you want to switch to a green one.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Bill Z Bubb wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 2:16pm:
Or if you want to switch to a green one.

Green as in Antec Earthwatts? Meh, idc about efficiency. My PSU is a nice space heater in the winter.

IP Logged

Xynot2
Korthos Resident

PICKLE!

Reply #15 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Depends on what you can spend

Just go to best buy and get the one with an i7, a good graphix card that isnt on the oh shit list on the DDO forum, 8 GB RAM, dvd drive and crossover tech so you can get a second video card.

Solid stat HD would be nice. 1900xwhatever monitor would also be nice. soundcard would be nice but no REAL need at first since most integrated sound is decent enough. And if you do go to best buy, make sure you ask if they will add the second vid, soundcard, ram, etc... in store instead of sending out.

If you have about $2500, go have a monster built at a local custom store.

Mine- OS is on Raid on SAT0 and SATA1 so all I have to do is pop in a drive and Im up in 15 min. Programs, music, videos - on SATA2 and then a I have a hotswap drive I pop in once a week to back up the drive on SATA2.
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:36am by Xynot2 »  

You did WHAT?!? For HOW many cookies?!?
You're one *M* short of being a religious fanatic from Utah.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Wow, whatever you do, DO NOT listen to xynot.  That is terrible advice.  $2500?  Go to best buy?  Are you fuckin kidding me? 
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:36am by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Xynot2
Korthos Resident

PICKLE!

Reply #17 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:46am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:36am:
Wow, whatever you do, DO NOT listen to xynot.  That is terrible advice.  $2500?  Go to best buy?  Are you fuckin kidding me? 

OP said he doesnt know how to build one. I would have suggested a custom from newegg but if it needs work, Im sure he would prefer local vs mail in. And best buy can do most everything in house. As can a local custom shop. but the custom shops cost. So no... Im not fucking kidding you.

And $2500 for a nice machine isnt unreasonable. the new Nvidia cards are still at 1k/ea. Depends on what he wants and what he has to spend. But just keep putting out do it yourself info that wont help OP. Hell, if ya wanna go REALLY cheap and dont care if you run DDO hi or lo-rez, get one from WalMart.

Remember Armageddon? *Russian components, American components... all made in Taiwan.*
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:47am by Xynot2 »  

You did WHAT?!? For HOW many cookies?!?
You're one *M* short of being a religious fanatic from Utah.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 3:33am
Print Post  
Xynot2 wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:46am:
feces

lol, you still haven't justified a price of $2500 or just walking into Best Buy and buying an overpriced machine. How is any of what you just said relevant?  Neither of these are good ideas regardless of how much the most expensive card is.

See, this is your problem in a nutshell.  You don't read what people actually say.  You just straw man as hard as you can and think people can't see through your bullshit. 

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 3:37am
Print Post  
But just keep putting out do it yourself info that wont help OP.

I never suggested any DIY computer building in this thread.  The machine I linked to is a pre-built HP based on AMDs new chipset.  The only one who is not helping the OP is you because of your phenomenal ability to not read, considering you suggested spending $2500 when the OP clearly stated he didn't want to spend more than $800.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 3:39am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:36am:

What is your problem, you tard? I bought my computer at a pharmacy for 3000$, but I have a good quality machine.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

Reply #21 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Jul 30th, 2012 at 6:04pm:
Green as in Antec Earthwatts? Meh, idc about efficiency. My PSU is a nice space heater in the winter.

Yep, in the winter it's nice to have a lower efficiency PS, in the summer not so much.
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:07pm by Bill Z Bubb »  

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

Reply #22 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
And $2500 for a nice machine isnt unreasonable. the new Nvidia cards are still at 1k/ea.

Anyone that suggests a thousand dollar video card to play DDO has confused dollars with pesos.

IP Logged

Roldon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Nerdychaz wrote on Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:34pm:
not really, iam mechanically inept

If you're really set on Dell and not building one yourself (or getting a mate to give you a hand putting it all together, it really isn't that hard, nowadays most components can only fit into one specific location) i'd go with the &
$700 XPS 8500 http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=fxdopu48&model_id=xps-8500...; mostly because its the only desktop i can see there that doesn't have on-board shithouse GPU's. Throw in a decent monitor and you're looking at a bit under 900.

Granted for the same money you can probably build something better, but if you need prebuilt i'd go with the Dell XPS stuff. Whatever brand you decide to go with (assuming you go prebuilt) avoid the slimline desktops, they almost always have crap onboard graphics cards or low power slim cards which are only marginally better.

One advantage of DIYing though is that components like power supplies, cases, optical drives can be carried up when you rebuild/upgrade. Upgrading prebuilt boxes, if you need to, is often more difficult cause they can, and most do, use proprietary connections and layouts on the cables, motherboard case mounts etc. and the power supply is often just enough for the stock components.

Anyway, just my 2c.
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2012 at 9:48pm by Roldon »  

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
IMO, if you're going for mid range GPUs like the 7570, you might as well grab an A10 and crossfire it.  If you go with intel, you're basically spending money on an iGPU that won't be used (all new processors come with an iGPU now.)  You'd get much better gaming performance with an A10.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint