Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Old Republic - F2P this Fall (Read 478 times)
Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Old Republic - F2P this Fall
Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Did anyone not see this coming? Current and former subscribers will get bonuses, yadda-yadda-yadda.

Still doubtful I'll go back, however.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/07/31/star-wars-the-old-republic-is-go...
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:03pm by Memnir »  

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

Northwind
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: Old Republic - F2P this Fall
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
About damn time. I've been wanting to try it, but there was no way I was gonna plunk down the cash on the off chance I liked it.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Northwind wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:43pm:
About damn time. I've been wanting to try it, but there was no way I was gonna plunk down the cash on the off chance I liked it.

If anyone wants to try it I have an abundance of friend codes.  It'll only get you to level 15 but it's a decent taste.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Old news i know but here's another link for the fine people of the vault  Tongue

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/6609/Star-Wars-The-Old-Repub...
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2012 at 8:07pm by Silky »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 12:54am
Print Post  
It was obvious after the first month that they had to do something if they wanted to keep going.

So 6 month after release, massive server merges.
and 9 month after release, F2P model.

seriously, even those that were thrilled by the idea of a SW MMO among my DDO guildies ( and that went away for it ) are coming back to DDO just because there's no real endgame ( beside PvP ) in SWTOR and so many things are not existing/crude. [ LFM panel anybody ? ]

On the other hand they have a log for the guild vault, that should give a hard on to some Crazy_Clown.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 2:20am
Print Post  
So, we have to admit...yes, DDO engine is outdated, it is full of bugs, the GM are assholes, but...they release new content, and they get you hooked, somehow.
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2012 at 2:20am by »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:26am
Print Post  
I don't find DDO engine outdated, just wonky from time to time.

I can live with most of the bugs, though there's a few that are really fucking gameplay.

My latest GM interraction was ( lessthan 5 mins after filling the ticket ) :
+GM+ it is not a known issue please fill in a bug report.
Me : Ok, thanks for not much
Me to party : One min, GM told me to fill bug report.

Initial problem : We completed law room in PoP Elite ( XP showing in the log ), but the door didn't deactivate and the power cells were not collectable.

Group reaction after bug report : moving on. We completed, recalled and all... It's not as if it was really pissing us to do one more room... we were more or less set to do them all.

Never had hour long response time to GM tickets and until now they have always solved my problems.

There's 3 things DDO has the other games I tried doesn't :
- Mature players
- No PvP so to speak, so no e-penis waving
- relatively customizable characters that can still work at end game. ( meaning that it's possible, under certain circumstances, to play a gimp ( non minmaxe, not equipped fully ) character at end game and still have fun. )
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:31am by Flav »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:32am
Print Post  
SWTOR has an endgame.  It lasts for a month - at most.  Also, pvp as endgame? LMAO.  The pvp is nothing like it used to be.  It is easy to get the gear now, and groups are shit.  Take 3 guildies with you, be organized, and you will win every fucking pvp match.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:37am
Print Post  
Easy answer : fuck PvP.

It's one of the reason why I stay in DDO. E-penis wavers have long left the game due to the lack of PvP.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Memnir wrote on Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:02pm:
Did anyone not see this coming? Current and former subscribers will get bonuses, yadda-yadda-yadda.

Still doubtful I'll go back, however.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/07/31/star-wars-the-old-republic-is-go...

I did Smiley, but still not gonna try it
livefreeordie wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:07am:
F2P?

The Old Republic lead designer discusses the competitive MMO marketplace and how The Old Republic might use a free-to-play model.

http://www.gamestm.co.uk/discuss/star-wars-the-old-republic-we-are-looking-at-fr...

And Eladiun being useful as always
Eladiun wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:10am:
Vague non-committal comments are vague.

« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2012 at 9:12am by livefreeordie »  

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2012 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 4:37am:
Easy answer : fuck PvP.

It's one of the reason why I stay in DDO. E-penis wavers have long left the game due to the lack of PvP.

Is Axer like will smith in that I Am Legend movie?

Quote:
Rev. Jim.
He is the only guy here that posts quality, you should all learn from him.

IP Logged

Bazinga
Stormreaver Piker

Suck it Bay! Bay!

Reply #11 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Elladian is the one true and honest fan fo this MMO. He will be the last guy standing in that MMO.

His fanboyness is just sickening at times. But why mock him about it. Everyone has his/her own tatses.

majmalphunktion wrote on Apr 26th, 2014 at 11:06pm:
Wow, you love me. There has been two big lag fixes in the past week. No, those are not going out with a hotfix. They are more wide ranging and take more time to test.
Of course every time you get like this, I keep wondering where your MMO is so I can play it. Obviously you know excatly how to piece one of these together. I can't keep apologizing a gazillion times for the back end tech and things people did on this game before I was even an employee. So one last time, yes some of the stuff from the before times sucks. Sorry about that. Yes we know, stop building new systems. Yes we know, finish the ones out there. Yes we know you hate bards.

And screw you for bringing up the laid off folks. That sucks every time. I made sure all my people landed in other jobs real quick. None of my 'casualties' are unemployed, just sadly not employed by Turbine. Every business goes through this.Even Valve has layoffs. It sucks every time. If you haven't had to do it then you just don't know. Picking people and knowing you are about to turn their life upside down is terrible, every time.
Not giving a bleep. No, I stop listening when the bile starts. Not worth my sanity. You know my rule, treat me like a human and I'll do the same back. When the rage train starts...cya.
So here is my peace out of the vault for a while. Thanks for the list Ranger, that was actually clear and helpful.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Bazinga wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 1:00pm:
Elladian is the one true and honest fan fo this MMO. He will be the last guy standing in that MMO.

His fanboyness is just sickening at times. But why mock him about it. Everyone has his/her own tatses.

I'm already in a relationship Bazinga.  I think you are nice but your continued advances won't get you anything you should find someone more on your level like Wujoh.

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #13 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 1st, 2012 at 12:54am:
seriously, even those that were thrilled by the idea of a SW MMO among my DDO guildies ( and that went away for it ) are coming back to DDO just because there's no real endgame ( beside PvP ) in SWTOR and so many things are not existing/crude. [ LFM panel anybody ? ]

We did it slightly differently...we took a break in April/May to run TRs and get ready for U13.  Now, we are back playing both TOR and DDO because we are honestly getting a bit bored with DDO again.  We float back and forth. 

The group finder that was added is kinda sexy tho.  The lack of content updates is an issue.  They fell behind fixing and adding things that should have been there at release. 
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2012 at 2:32pm by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #14 - Aug 10th, 2012 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 2:31pm:
playing both TOR and DDO

It is the best way.  I have to do it since I am getting bored with the current content in DDO once again.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2012 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
playing both TOR and DDO

I swear this is an Arkat reference.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Bazinga
Stormreaver Piker

Suck it Bay! Bay!

Reply #16 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Aug 10th, 2012 at 2:17pm:
I'm already in a relationship Bazinga.  I think you are nice but your continued advances won't get you anything you should find someone more on your level like Wujoh.

Do you have another channel? or you banging this same drum over and over?

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt?

We get it you like star wars but you must also see that the star wars genre just doesn't support a popular MMO. It's not your fault, you didn't have anything to do with the creation of the Star Wars universe, your just a fanboy.

It's also OK that you are having fun playing it. Good for you. Pull out that light saber and *fap* *fap* *fap* until the force overcomes you.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2012 at 10:10pm by Bazinga »  

majmalphunktion wrote on Apr 26th, 2014 at 11:06pm:
Wow, you love me. There has been two big lag fixes in the past week. No, those are not going out with a hotfix. They are more wide ranging and take more time to test.
Of course every time you get like this, I keep wondering where your MMO is so I can play it. Obviously you know excatly how to piece one of these together. I can't keep apologizing a gazillion times for the back end tech and things people did on this game before I was even an employee. So one last time, yes some of the stuff from the before times sucks. Sorry about that. Yes we know, stop building new systems. Yes we know, finish the ones out there. Yes we know you hate bards.

And screw you for bringing up the laid off folks. That sucks every time. I made sure all my people landed in other jobs real quick. None of my 'casualties' are unemployed, just sadly not employed by Turbine. Every business goes through this.Even Valve has layoffs. It sucks every time. If you haven't had to do it then you just don't know. Picking people and knowing you are about to turn their life upside down is terrible, every time.
Not giving a bleep. No, I stop listening when the bile starts. Not worth my sanity. You know my rule, treat me like a human and I'll do the same back. When the rage train starts...cya.
So here is my peace out of the vault for a while. Thanks for the list Ranger, that was actually clear and helpful.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #17 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 3:19am
Print Post  
Nice, responding to a 6 day old quote.  Congrats.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #18 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 3:50am
Print Post  
I think he is allowed by his doctors to come here only once every week. More would get him back into a straightjacket and a padded cell banging his head at walls.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #19 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:32am
Print Post  
I got a man.

Bazinga wrote on Aug 16th, 2012 at 10:09pm:
I'm not trying to hear that, see.

fnord