Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic U15 worth it? (Read 9415 times)
cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

U15 worth it?
Aug 30th, 2012 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
The 250TP coupon is tempting me to buy U15, even though I'm going to be spending TP anyway since bank slots are on sale.

Is the heroic/epic experience decent? Easy to solo? Are the items worth farming to sell? Is there any redeeming feature at all making it worth running over other things?

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Re: U15 worth it?
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
No.
No.
Some valuable, but a huge pain to farm.
No.

Even the story is garbage. Buy it only if you're one of those people who have to have every pack.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Haha, When did ddo start to suck so bad?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Oh wait, it's probably easy enough to solo on the easy difficulties.

IP Logged

whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Items are hot.

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
whothefuckami wrote on Aug 30th, 2012 at 9:56pm:
Items are hot.

Also, unbound.

I'd prefer there was more unbound loot, but I'm starting to understand why that isn't the case. I'm probably never buying this pack.

IP Logged

whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Also, unbound.

I'd prefer there was more unbound loot, but I'm starting to understand why that isn't the case. I'm probably never buying this pack.

You won't get +4 tomes without having new EE stuff to trade for them.

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Quote:
No.
Buy it only if you're one of those people who have to have every pack.

I buy every pack I need something from. Which so far has been every pack... but with the U15 loot being unbound, maybe not that one for a good long while if ever. Maybe if it ends up being easier to farm than buy, once I really want one of the items.

IP Logged

Mr Poop
Korthos Resident

I Love Doctor Ama!

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Im stoked it is all unbound, so as a VIP I could potentially start selling this garbage*.

*I actually don't know yet, but assuming unusable crud.  If not, even better for me!

Please don't refer to poop as shit, it stinks when that happens.

Thanks in advance,
Mr Poop

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Does anyone know what the favour rewards are yet for the Harpers?

If that turns out to be decent, people will buy it just for that (Maybe later for tier 2 when more Harper stuff is released).

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

Footgrabber
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 2:20am
Print Post  
Calvet wrote on Aug 31st, 2012 at 2:15am:

Hard to say, since there isn't enough Harper favor in u15 to get even the first one.

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 2:29am
Print Post  
Footgrabber wrote on Aug 31st, 2012 at 2:20am:
Hard to say, since there isn't enough Harper favor in u15 to get even the first one.

Really?  have they ever done that before?

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #12 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 2:40am
Print Post  
Quote:
Oh wait, it's probably easy enough to solo on the easy difficulties.

On Heroic Hard the first two are avg/easy respectively to solo melee.  A Sorc or wiz would be quite easy with elemental dmg.  Only real problem I have is the storyline's boring and the first two quests bugged out for me on first run.

If they worked properly, they'd probably be worth the price to me.  Right now, not at all.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Calvet wrote on Aug 31st, 2012 at 2:29am:
Really?  have they ever done that before?

Arties. Though supposedly not deliberately.

IP Logged

random110
Waterworks Kobold

Always lurking..

Reply #14 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 6:28am
Print Post  

I'm sure it will just be another stupid fucking cosmetic pet.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #15 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 9:07am
Print Post  

If that turns out to be decent, people will buy it just for that (Maybe later for tier 2 when more Harper stuff is released).

PnP style:
Tier 1: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Harper_pin_%28lesser%29
Tier 2: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Harper_pin_%28greater%29

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #16 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Aug 31st, 2012 at 9:07am:

Pretty safe to say we won't be seeing the full greater version.

Quote:
This device functions as a ring of mind shielding and provides certain constant effects: immunity to magic missiles, resist elements (electricity), nondetection, +5 resistance bonus to saving throws against mind-affecting effects.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #17 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 9:34am
Print Post  
I've already got an item that gives me almost 45 minutes of magic missile immunity per shrine, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to make it permanent.

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #18 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 9:43am
Print Post  
I'll equip it when I see it.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #19 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Nevermind.  I wrote about U14.  THis was a U15 thread.  Im an idiot.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:13am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:10am:

But you're a self-aware idiot!

JDollar wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

JDollar wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:15am:
To put in DnD terms Grace is a CR 60 EE Ball Busting Bitch

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Aug 31st, 2012 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Aug 31st, 2012 at 10:10am:

But we still love you, Ash!  Kiss

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 12:12am
Print Post  
I just ran through these quests again, without the "oh hey this is new" feeling, and jesus fuck are they terrible. Here's a run down:

Quest One: Plants in the Hospital!
Remember how the hospital was full of werewolves, with a head werewolf? Now it's full of plants, with a head plant. Plant zombies, plant trolls, plant giants, reskinned plants everywhere. Plus wolves, and juiced up will o the wisps. Get used to these mobs, because you will be seeing a lot of them. So anyway, you clear one wing of the building, killing a bunch of stupid plants and a plant flesh golem. Guess what's next? Yup, you clear the other wing, because it was so much fun the first time. The optional is skill-based, so you either get a free chest for showing up with the right numbers, or you ignore it. The end fight is an easy beatdown where tons of trash spawns and casts spells at you. Guess how much of this description was foreshadowing for the next three quests?

Quest Two: Plants in Some Guy's House!
The head plant guy has a house in town, so we're off to check it out for clues. Oh shit, it's a building full of plants, again! Also, bear traps. In his house. Because apparently he hates people? Or maybe just to control his in-house wolf population. Anyway, despite being in a house, this quest is a single-track where you proceed linearly through the sequence of rooms. You kill some plant mobs so that you can open the next door/root wall, kill a bunch really fast to try to get the wood woad optional, then repeat both of those more times than is really necessary. There's a "mysterious bard" who runs ahead of you and really should provide the clues you need to advance this stupid plot, but doesn't. The end fight is a squeaky dryad who runs and hides in her tree, which you kill to finish the quest. Are you tired of having to clear every room to advance to the next one? Because that's really all you do in the next two quests.

Quest Three: Plants in the Woods!
The bard was looking for a nobleman. Why? Fuck if I know. He sends you to look for a druid out in the woods, because quests don't need reasons. You start out killing all the mobs so that you can break a root wall. Pay attention, because you will have to do that about a dozen more times this quest. The main room had two side passages and a giant root wall. You clear one side of about three room's worth of plant creatures, breaking an endless series of root walls and killing a druid and a corruption node at the end. That breaks the remaining root walls on that side, and suddenly bears! But they leash, so you can just run past them all. Once you've cleared one side, guess what you do next? If you guessed "the exact same thing on the other side" you get a gold star and a frontal lobotomy. Oh wait, that was the quest designer. Now that both corruption nodes are destroyed, and the giant root wall in the main room is gone, will something exciting happen? No. You get to clear another room full of plants so that you can break another goddamn root wall to get to the end fight, which is a giant bear and more plants. After that, speak to a dying druid for a clue! The clue is "you shouldn't have bought this pack, moron". It's actually "you must be a wolf, then a fish, then a bear." Oh wait, I was right the first time.

Quest Four: Plants in the Woods! Again!
We didn't find the druid last time, so let's go look for him in the woods! Again! Jesus. This dungeon uses trees and rocks to cleverly disguise the fact that it is basically one long, straight shot directly to the end. There are a couple of dead-end side passages, so that you can feel bad for deviating from the one true path laid out before you. Instead of doors, you have root walls. Once again, you will have to kill a whole bunch of plants each time you want to break a root wall. Because having fun in quests is bad. Then there's a long swimming segment, because apparently the quest needed to be less interesting. Drowning deals basically no damage, so you could /afk and make a sandwich and still not die, because epic characters have hit points. There's an underwater side passage with a couple of chests, in case you get lost. Then you have to swim back. I wonder how long the swim would have to be for players to give up the "free" chest. One minute? Five? Ten? People would probably swim through empty caves for an hour if there was a free chest at the end, and Turbine knows it. Anyway, now we're back to the magic root walls and the killing everything. At some point there's a small side area that's full of plants and can contain the red name that drops ivy wraps. And by "can contain" I really mean "will not contain" but feel free to check anyway and hate everything. There's also an area you can climb up to that's full of earth elementals and clay pots, in case you're one of those players who needs to hit ransack in every quest. At some point, you fight a ranger with a pet spider, which is at least a refreshing change from the endless parade of reskinned plants, wolves, bears, and will o the wisps. Finally, there's an end fight! You fight a druid! Again! After you get his hitpoints down a bit he turns into a wolf and a shit ton of trash spawns. To advance the fight, you need to kill every single fucking trash mob, so that he can turn into a bear, and you can do the exact same fucking thing, again. It's like the apotheosis of all the terrible quest design elements we've seen throughout the series. Then he up and dies, and the mysterious bard destroys the very important magic staff that we probably should have heard about before now. Oh well, it's not like we're here for any plot whatsoever. We're just here to kill a room full of monsters, so that we can advance to the next room full of monsters.

At this point your group will have pulled zero named items, because the drop rate is terrible and half of them are in optional chests that you either didn't or couldn't get. Good thing the chain reward list is...commendations! Because it's so hard to get five of those.

In conclusion, this pack is a shit sandwich.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2012 at 12:16am by »  

IP Logged

arjiwan
Titan Demolisher

I Love Comedy!

Reply #23 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 12:37am
Print Post  
Thanks, great review, now I am convinced not to buy it.

You should make a website that reviews quests Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2012 at 12:37am by arjiwan »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #24 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 2:12am
Print Post  
I've personally seen 4 pairs of EE Ivy Wraps pulled. One of them by me. I guess The Harpers (on Sarlona) are just lucky.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint