Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Why GW2 is better than DDO (Read 195001 times)
Gawna
Ex Member

Re: Why GW2 is better than DDO
Reply #100 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 11:18am
Print Post  
I made a thief as my first character because I hadn't played one in beta and it was crazy fun.  Dual pistols are so much fun!  Then I made a ranger and it was more fun than the thief, imo.  It's nice to have a pet tank for you and you get to charm any juvenile animal you come across!  You also get one land pet and one underwater pet active at any one time.

I made a warrior during beta and it took some serious getting used to.  I'm so programmed to just equip a melee weapon and hit things, but this game is just not built for that.  You have to be able to hang back and range and we all know how I feel about DDO pewpew.  But ranged comabt in GW2 is actually viable and since even the warriors have to hop around during combat, it's not a pain in the ass.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #101 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Next page plz

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #102 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 11:30am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 11:14am:
I read somewhere that housing is in the works. I am not sure what type though.

From what I got reading between the lines in different places is that Guild and personal housing was originally in the plans for launch, and they realized it would be to much to get ready and are pushing it back

Found the quote I was looking for

Quote:
It is helpful to take Eric's full statement into account.

He mentioned that there will be no Guild Halls on release as we want to make Guild Halls a great experience and not just a "place". We will introduce player housing at some point after launch, and at that time we will also implement guild halls.

Also, one nice thing that I'm starting to realize is that with the up front payment, it reduces the Dev need for Time sinks.  When you have monthly payments (DDO/WoW), making travel take a long time is good, slows down players from reaching their end.  Making Crafting just push buttons and wait over and over is good. Having a Timer on raids and quests is good.

Not so in GW2

Also, Queue time post from Devs.
Queues-for-WvW-The-Official-Thread/
I personally had no issues the other night, very short queue
Quote:
While queues do indeed suck, the fact that they are this bad is because so many of you are trying to play and that is actually one of the best possible problems we can have at this point. It may sound silly, but it means that there are quite a few of you out there are enjoying the game and we’re thrilled that so many of you are out there trying to fight for your world. We will do our best to make sure you can.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2012 at 11:40am by livefreeordie »  

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #103 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Devs communicating to players?  That's unpossible!

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #104 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Hopefully I can scare up $60 before y'all get bored with GW2 and move on, but things are really tight right now.

IP Logged

archon
Korthos Resident

Hugs! Not Drugs!

Reply #105 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 11:17am:
It is essentially F2P you buy the GD game and then you never have to pay a dime again.  What do you want for them to have supermodels hand deliver it to your house and blow you while it installs.

yes please.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #106 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
The fanboi in my hopes that this
Quote:
NCsoft has just announced that Guild Wars 2 has sold over two million units, from reopening sales of the game after its short hiatus from the official store.

is the reason for stuff like this
livefreeordie wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 11:30am:
While queues do indeed suck, the fact that they are this bad is because so many of you are trying to play and that is actually one of the best possible problems we can have at this point. It may sound silly, but it means that there are quite a few of you out there are enjoying the game and we’re thrilled that so many of you are out there trying to fight for your world. We will do our best to make sure you can.

I think their 'best case' projections from 2 months before the game went live were not nearly what they ended up getting.  I hope/think they are throwing money and man power at extending hardware to fix it.

IP Logged

archon
Korthos Resident

Hugs! Not Drugs!

Reply #107 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
The money model though is not necessarily buy once and never buy again... I believe if they make "expansions" those you will have to pay for (i may be wrong here though). 

I admit, I'm a bit of a tightwad when it comes to money, so f2p is a great way to try before I buy.  I don't mind spending if I like what I'm seeing.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2012 at 1:39pm by archon »  

IP Logged

pnellesen
Titan Demolisher

We can't all just get
along.

Reply #108 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Almost a full page and no insults? You guys are slacking...

I offer myself as sacrifice to appease the Vault's hunger (and because this thread's starting to get boring.)

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #109 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
get bent

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #110 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
YOUR A STUPID VAGINA

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #111 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:

And now I really am sold.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #112 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
YOUR A STUPID VAGINA

Redundant statement is redundant.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #113 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
pnellesen wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 2:20pm:
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Almost a full page and no insults? You guys are slacking...

I offer myself as sacrifice to appease the Vault's hunger (and because this thread's starting to get boring.)

/pointandlaugh
This guy has not bought GW2 yet!  psh, ddoers  Cool

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #114 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
I don't get it.  What's the BFD about the GW2 price model?

DDO has the same basic model as GW2, if I'm not mistaken.  You can purchase the game and not have to keep making payments each month, if you desire.  As new content/expansions come out, you can chose to purchase or not.  That seems to be what GW2 is doing.  DDO does have a VIP/rental option, but it is not mandatory.

So:

I can buy the whole game content for 1 price and play for as long as I want and not spend another dime?  Yes to both.

I can play for free for about 25% of the game and then decide if I want to buy?  Only DDO.

I can purchase parts of the game content that I want and ignore the ones I don't want?  Only DDO

I can buy new content as it comes out if I desire to do so?  Yes to both.

I can buy a subscription and rent the game monthly and get some extra benefits?  Only DDO

How is the GW2 pricing model so amazeballs different, besides it just has fewer options?  And probably costs less than DDO at this point.  $60 vs. approximately $200 for a full purchase, but then DDO probably has more content to be purchased at this point. 

I'm sure that 6 years down the road a new player starting wouldn't  get the base GW2 product and all new releases from the last 6 years for $60.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #115 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 3:42pm:
I'm sure that 6 years down the road a new player starting wouldn't  get the base GW2 product and all new releases from the last 6 years for $60.

As is the norm with most mmos, which you may not be aware of if DDO is the only one you have ever focused on:

http://www.amazon.com/GUILD-WARS-COMPLETE-COLLECTION-ALL-GAMES/dp/B003XNCU5E/ref...

http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Platinum-Pc/dp/B0013EEJM2/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogam...

When mmo's come out with expansions, the only person who really bites it is the one from the start.  The people who just now get into it typically get the all inclusive game box.  Silver, gold, platinum, diamond, it goes on and on as more expansions get released.  They are typically just marked as the original price of the game.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #116 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I call horseshit, someone is hacking dev accounts.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #117 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 3:55pm:
As is the norm with most mmos, which you may not be aware of if DDO is the only one you have ever focused on:

http://www.amazon.com/GUILD-WARS-COMPLETE-COLLECTION-ALL-GAMES/dp/B003XNCU5E/ref...

http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Platinum-Pc/dp/B0013EEJM2/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogam...

When mmo's come out with expansions, the only person who really bites it is the one from the start.  The people who just now get into it typically get the all inclusive game box.  Silver, gold, platinum, diamond, it goes on and on as more expansions get released.  They are typically just marked as the original price of the game.

I see your point.  Even Turbine included  a number of Eberron content packs in their premium MOTU edition.  The bundling of old content with new in one "GoldPlatinum" edition makes sense.  Regardless, the point stands that there is nothing particularly different about what GW2 is doing vs. the Premium account that Turbine has had around since 2009.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #118 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 3:42pm:
I can buy the whole game content for 1 price and play for as long as I want and not spend another dime?  Yes to both.

Not really - you no longer have to make an initial purchase for DDO.  You can just download it off the DDO main page.

My love affair with GW2 has nothing to do with pricing, though, it's about fun.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #119 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I am not sure if anyone mentioned there isn't really any lag.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #120 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 4:05pm:
I see your point.  Even Turbine included  a number of Eberron content packs in their premium MOTU edition.  The bundling of old content with new in one "GoldPlatinum" edition makes sense.  Regardless, the point stands that there is nothing particularly different about what GW2 is doing vs. the Premium account that Turbine has had around since 2009. 

...Guild Wars 1 started this model in 2005.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #121 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Fun? What is this fun thou speakest of?

Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #122 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Not really - you no longer have to make an initial purchase for DDO.  You can just download it off the DDO main page.

Fun is what it's all about.  I'll pay 3-4 times that price for a game that is enjoyable.

If I wasn't enjoying DDO, I'd give GW2 a look.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #123 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 4:15pm:

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #124 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 4:15pm:

I think it pre-dates that even.  My point is, the concept is not novel or unique.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31
Send TopicPrint