Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Why GW2 is better than DDO (Read 195056 times)
Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Re: Why GW2 is better than DDO
Reply #150 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
To answer your question Tal, no, Guesting hasn't been implemented yet.  My understanding is that they want servers to balance out a bit still [which is why server transfers are free at the moment] and Guesting will come later.

Oh, and Ash, it took all of two days to get the Trading Post working properly.  How's that Ladder Bug coming along?  Can you even long in right now, or are all the servers down because they added a point sale to the store?
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:05pm by Cale »  

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #151 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:11pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #152 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
If I had enjoyed GW1 for more than a month I'd probably be trying out GW2.

That being said, I want DDO with the UI, map, update mechanisms, and server infrastructure that GW1 had. They did do a lot of things right on the technical side.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #153 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
I didn't really care for Gw1 either, but I am a total Gw2 fanboi and I'll be the first to admit it.

IP Logged

TWDiggs
Mr. Infraction

Reply #154 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:38pm:
I didn't really care for Gw1 either, but I am a total Gw2 fanboi and I'll be the first to admit it.

I didn't care for GW1 either what have they changed that might get me to buy GW2

stainer wrote on Oct 5th, 2011 at 1:29pm:
Everyday that you aren't banned, is a borrowed day.

Grace wrote on Dec 2nd, 2012 at 8:31pm:
Well, you're a godless heathen, anyway. I would totally wear my rape whistle around you.
YIM  
IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #155 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 8:54pm:
I don't know people can enjoy the rotting carcass that is ddo.  I used to hate the devs and loved the game with such a fiery passion.... Now I could care less that I have an account.

It has it's flaws like anything.  But it's still a ton of fun.  I haven't even played any of the new MOTU content on my Caster or my Helve's Angel because they were mid-TR when the update hit.  And there are still some fun folks to run with.  Not as many as a few months ago, but that's how it goes. 

I'd take the auto down-leveling to run with friends and the cross world guesting features from GW2.  And probably the balanced PvP.  I wish they had those in DDO. 

But I'd not want to give up some things like Voice Chat, Raids, The D&D class, race, Multi-class, leveling, and D20 basis.   I know that makes for imbalanced classes and you like it better when all the classes have equal balance and no one really has a party role, but it also sounds like something is missing there.  I don't want to make to firm a judgement because I haven't actually played GW2. 

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #156 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:03pm:
To answer your question Tal, no, Guesting hasn't been implemented yet.  My understanding is that they want servers to balance out a bit still [which is why server transfers are free at the moment] and Guesting will come later.

Oh, and Ash, it took all of two days to get the Trading Post working properly.  How's that Ladder Bug coming along?  Can you even long in right now, or are all the servers down because they added a point sale to the store?

Lol.  I'd make a snide comment but ArenaNet is famed for their lack of downtime on GW1.  Apparently they figured out how to roll patches and updates into production without taking the game offline.  Amazing concept.  That's one of the things that surprised me about DDO and most other MMO's.  They don't think anything of taking you offline for hours at a time.  As an IT professional for a Saas/Cloud product for businesses we can update without our clients being down.  It's really not that hard if you have redundancy and the right gear in place.

Truth be told, though, Turbine's patch schedule works well for me as I am rarely on during weekdays from 6am-10am U.S. eastern time.  Even the downtime last night was fine as I was doing family stuff.  It worked great tonight when I was online. 

As for the ladder bug, that's a great punchline, but it's really not that big a deal.  I could care less if they never fix it.  There are other things I'd rather see done.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #157 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
TWDiggs wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:44pm:
I didn't care for GW1 either what have they changed that might get me to buy GW2

Everything.
Name something about MMOs [not just Gw1, but any MMO] that you hate, and I'll tell you how Gw2 fixed it so that you don't hate that thing anymore.

Yes, it has it's flaws, just like any game does.  But it really is that much better and that much more fun.
Stainer's example in the OP [2. You are lvl 45 and your friend is lvl 7. No problem. The game fixes that for you. No changing characters.] was me.  I was level 47.  He was level 7 I think.  I saw him on, and I saw him running alone, so I threw him a party invite and I went and played with him.

I think Angry Joe basically tells it like it is here.

IP Logged

arjiwan
Titan Demolisher

I Love Comedy!

Reply #158 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
This thread makes me sad. Sad

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #159 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 9:38pm:

Seriously.  you are like that Francis - WoW guy on youTube, but with GW2.  If they were availalbe you would be buying GW2 plush stuffed animals for your girlfriend...

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #160 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Ragedancer wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 5:17pm:
fact is, gw had a real issue with hacked accounts, and gw2 is a similar problem.  im pretty sure when my wifes acc was hacked it was from the guild website being compromised since she never went to any site aside from guild forums and official site.

If you wife is not serious about protecting her account, and it was hacked from a guild website, then why would you try to blame someone else.  How hard is it for people to get the word 'unique' though their head?

Interesting The End Game Reimagined https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-endgame-reimagined post from ANet

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #161 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
I would LOVE down-leveling for DDO.

I know it's not really viable because of the spell system, but damn, I'd love that.

fnord

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #162 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 10:34pm:
If you wife is not serious about protecting her account, and it was hacked from a guild website, then why would you try to blame someone else.  How hard is it for people to get the word 'unique' though their head?

Wait, you're saying that I shouldn't have used the same login ID and password for my email, facebook, DDO game account, DDOVault account, and bank account?

fnord

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #163 - Sep 13th, 2012 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 10:26pm:
Seriously.  you are like that Francis - WoW guy on youTube, but with GW2.  If they were availalbe you would be buying GW2 plush stuffed animals for your girlfriend...

That's because I haven't had this much fun playing an MMO, or almost any game for that matter, in years.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #164 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:05am
Print Post  
I agree with angry joe.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #165 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:25am
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 5:39pm:
DDO accounts don't get hacked because everything of actual value is bound to character/account.

ftfy

Munkenmo wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:41pm:
All hail Smrti.

Felgor wrote on Sep 11th, 2012 at 11:18pm:
Fuck Australia.

rev Jim wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:40am:
I wish I was a rich black woman sometimes........

IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #166 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:28am
Print Post  
I'll look into saving up $60 worth of tip money so I can buy it. It may take a while though, because college kids don't understand what tipping means.

All hail Smrti.

Fuck Australia.

IP Logged

ZeroBoost
Titan Demolisher

res ipsa loquitur

Reply #167 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:21am
Print Post  
Smrti wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:28am:
I'll look into saving up $60 worth of tip money so I can buy it. It may take a while though, because college kids don't understand what tipping means.

You should work at a bar instead. College kids tend to get really drunk there. And when they do, just add what you feel like you should have gotten to their tab. They never complain because they just chalk it up to being really, really, really stupid with their money.

IP Logged

Sham
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Random Effects
on Named Loot! - No one
ever

Reply #168 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:22am
Print Post  
GW2 is amazing. I can run it at the highest settings without worrying about lagging my balls off. The higher level dungeons especially arah beats citw in every single way. Combat is fluid and active. You actually have to dodge and switch weapons and time abilities.

I didn't leave to join guildies in previous games. I shot down Rift. I ignored Star Wars. I neglected Diablo 3 and Secret World. I caved in finally and so far I'm dumbfounded why I stuck with DDO for so long.

Arenanet has made an absolute gem. If they continue to add new content the game will continue to do very well.

IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #169 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 6:05am
Print Post  
ZeroBoost wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:21am:
You should work at a bar instead. College kids tend to get really drunk there. And when they do, just add what you feel like you should have gotten to their tab. They never complain because they just chalk it up to being really, really, really stupid with their money.

That is actually what I've been looking into. There are quite a few good bars around here that I could look at.

All hail Smrti.

Fuck Australia.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #170 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Sham wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:22am:
GW2 is amazing. I can run it at the highest settings without worrying about lagging my balls off. The higher level dungeons especially arah beats citw in every single way. Combat is fluid and active. You actually have to dodge and switch weapons and time abilities.

I didn't leave to join guildies in previous games. I shot down Rift. I ignored Star Wars. I neglected Diablo 3 and Secret World. I caved in finally and so far I'm dumbfounded why I stuck with DDO for so long.

Arenanet has made an absolute gem. If they continue to add new content the game will continue to do very well.

This.
They looked at Gw1 for comparison, and built the game to handle more players than it does.  But ANet has made such a gem that even in their best case scenario they didn't expect the kind of reception that it has received from players and media.  That's the reason certain things broke during/after launch such as queue times for WvW, BLTP, etc.  Because those things couldn't handle the load they were getting.  Those things couldn't handle the load they were getting because the game is WILDLY more popular than anyone there ever expected it to be.  The game is that much more popular because it's so fucking good.
That's a wonderful problem for them to have.  That's the best possible problem that they could have, to the point where I'm wiling to overlook it as long as they say that they're on it.
Because, you know, they actually communicate with us about these things.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2012 at 8:01am by Cale »  

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #171 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 9:10am
Print Post  
I haven't done PvP or WvWvW yet, and I am not broke up about it. There is a shit load to everywhere else. I can stay busy running solo and I can stay busy running in group. There isn't down time.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

sephiroth1084
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #172 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 9:46am
Print Post  
How does GW2's character customization compare to that of DDO's?

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #173 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:00am
Print Post  
sephiroth1084 wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 9:46am:
How does GW2's character customization compare to that of DDO's?

I have a smoking hot human necromancer that would be censored on DDO.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

sephiroth1084
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #174 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:05am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:00am:
I have a smoking hot human necromancer that would be censored on DDO.

I don't mean looks, though that sounds pretty cool. One of the things I really like about DDO is that if affords a great deal of customization on the mechanics side between race choice, class choice, skills, feats, enhancements, and multiclassing options (and now epic destinies and twists), it gives me a lot to think about .

Not sure low customizability would be a definite deal breaker for me, but it's one of the reasons that I've never really played another MMO.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31
Send TopicPrint