Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Why GW2 is better than DDO (Read 195177 times)
Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Re: Why GW2 is better than DDO
Reply #175 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:10am
Print Post  
sephiroth1084 wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 9:46am:
How does GW2's character customization compare to that of DDO's?

It has the standard auto-leveling that most other MMOs have, and you can't multiclass. The customization comes with skills and traits, which can be reset. Each weapon that your profession can use gives you five new weapon skills, so swapping between weapons gives you different options (usually along the lines of DPS versus control versus AoE, etc).

I like DDO's customization much better, but GW2 does a lot of things right that overshadows that drawback.

Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #176 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:10am
Print Post  
sephiroth1084 wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 9:46am:
How does GW2's character customization compare to that of DDO's?

That depends on what you mean. Visually, which is traditionally what is menat by that question in this genre, Gw2 is superior. Regarding character build, you will initially see less impact, but many many more options open up as you level. Customization is actually extremely diverse, but it happens incrementally rather than initially.

The one thing that it doesn't have is multiclasssing, but there really isn't any need for it in this game. Essentially, with the options available, every character is already essentially a bit multiclassed if they build for it.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #177 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:10am
Print Post  
sephiroth1084 wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:05am:
I don't mean looks, though that sounds pretty cool. One of the things I really like about DDO is that if affords a great deal of customization on the mechanics side between race choice, class choice, skills, feats, enhancements, and multiclassing options (and now epic destinies and twists), it gives me a lot to think about .

Not sure low customizability would be a definite deal breaker for me, but it's one of the reasons that I've never really played another MMO.

I've read this a lot when people speak of the upsides of DDO and in many ways I agree with them.  However, in reality even though DDO has many options only about 20 of those combinations are viable.  If there was so much customization why is everyone a clonk, an exploiter, a monster, a blitz...  etc etc.  This selling point of DDO is way oversold.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #178 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:14am
Print Post  
No mutliclassing. Skills/Spells are tied to the weapon you are using. For instance, if I have a dagger equipped on my necro, most of my attacks are single target. If I have a two handed staff equipped they are mostly area of effect attacks. Same with a Ranger, depending on long bow, short bow, or throwing axe.

Skills like healing, precision, and others are set up based on decisions during character creation. These types of thing can be improved, as well as other things, while you are leveling. I would expect most Rangers would improve precision, but after that there should be a lot of differences.

There are a lot of other things that come into play too. I am still learning some of the finer points. I am not big on reading instructions.

DDO has way more button mashing, and I could see where that appeals to some people.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #179 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:17am
Print Post  
One other thing -

All the people that excel at twitching while attacking, and moving to avoid damage in DDO, will absolutely rule GW2.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #180 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:19am
Print Post  
RJ wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 6:56pm:
What server are you on Randy?

Maguuma here, is the cross server playing working yet?

I am on Dragonbrand. I haven't tried it, so I don't know about cross server playing. I know WvWvW works, it just might take some time to get through the que.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #181 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:22am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:17am:
One other thing -

All the people that excel at twitching while attacking, and moving to avoid damage in DDO, will absolutely rule GW2.

How does your 286 run GW2 anyway?

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #182 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:22am:
How does your 286 run GW2 anyway?

I got an i5 bitch. Tongue

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #183 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Also, as to no multiclassing, almost no balanced game will have it. Multiclassing almost always inherently breaks the balance which is trying to be achieved.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #184 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:33am:
Also, as to no multiclassing, almost no balanced game will have it. Multiclassing almost always inherently breaks the balance which is trying to be achieved.

Which is exactly the reason DDO will never have a viable PvP mechanic.

Quote:

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #185 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:10am:
I've read this a lot when people speak of the upsides of DDO and in many ways I agree with them.  However, in reality even though DDO has many options only about 20 of those combinations are viable.  If there was so much customization why is everyone a clonk, an exploiter, a monster, a blitz...  etc etc.  This selling point of DDO is way oversold.

That honestly depends on the crowd you run with.  In the elite end-game world, this is pretty true.  There is a lot of min-maxing going on.  Max DPS builds are often heavily copied.  But there is more variation in play than what you see in the small subset of the game that is end game.  And even there, many end game players make min-max sacrifices to try out other concepts and or gain some utility or versatility or flavor.

I agree that if there are 8 races and 13 classes and approximately 27 PrE's available and 10 ED's and 20 Heroic levels to multiclass and anywhere from 7 - 22 feats per build and 80 enhancement points to spend and 3 twists of fate and 26 ED points that you can create literally billions of possible combinations.  And literally billions of them would be total crap.  But their are still thousands upon thousands of combinations that are viable and interesting.

GW2 doesn't give you the ability to make the "traditional" MMO roles of Healers, Tanks, DPS, supposedly.  People say they enjoy that GW2 escapes this mold.  The odd thing is that DDO has been capable of escaping that mold for years.  You don't have to build a min-max DPS toon and look for a min-max healer toon.  You don't have to wade in and hack and slash and take a ton of damage and hope the healer can spam heal ahead of the pace.  That's just the lowest common denominator strategy that is used because it is simple and easy.  But if you wanted to build versatile, multifunctional, self-sufficient toons, you are quite capable of doing so in DDO.  Lots of players do it all the time. 

I'm not saying that GW2 is wrong and DDO is right.  I don't think it's about better or worse.  Any more than chocolate ice cream is better or worse than strawberry or vanilla.  But I'm not sure I'm sold on the logic that fewer options is a feature or a benefit.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #186 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:20am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:17am:
One other thing -

What you just said was:  If you were a good player in DDO, you will be a good player in GW2. 

Players in DDO that stand still and make no effort to protect themselves become soul stones.  I am guessing that the same thing happens in GW2.  (Without the soul stone possibly.  I don't know what happens to you when you die in GW2.  I'm sure Stainer does though.   Grin)

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #187 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:20am:
What you just said was:  If you were a good player in DDO, you will be a good player in GW2. 

Players in DDO that stand still and make no effort to protect themselves become soul stones.  I am guessing that the same thing happens in GW2.  (Without the soul stone possibly.  I don't know what happens to you when you die in GW2.  I'm sure Stainer does though.   Grin)

I never twitched... I never could get the timing down.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #188 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:22am
Print Post  
And for the record, I have played both games. GW2 is significantly superior to DDO.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #189 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:12am:
That's just the lowest common denominator strategy that is used because it is simple and easy.  But if you wanted to build versatile, multifunctional, self-sufficient toons, you are quite capable of doing so in DDO.  Lots of players do it all the time. 

And lots of players fuck it up royally and totally gimp themselves, get frustrated, and quit the game because the mechanics of 70% of the game do not support anything beyond the lowest common denominator strategy.  How many forums threads start with I want to be different and end with 20 posters calling the player a gimp or a player with on odd and inefficient build crying because no one will let them in their groups?  Sure, if you want to play an MMO solo do what you want.  I'm not a sightseer; I'm a meta gamer.  I need goals and difficulty and that next piece of gear to get.  So, non-optimal builds make me want to punch a baby. 

Asheras wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:12am:
I'm not saying that GW2 is wrong and DDO is right.  I don't think it's about better or worse.  Any more than chocolate ice cream is better or worse than strawberry or vanilla.  But I'm not sure I'm sold on the logic that fewer options is a feature or a benefit. 

Depends on how you look at it.  You want to be constantly nerfed and have your characters changed, your builds invalidated and broken; more options get you there because Wizards are OP so they need to be nerfed to balance melee and etc.  Do you like PvP?  I've come to find I enjoy MMO PvP in a a balanced environment.  It provides a challenge that pre-written content doesn't.  There are pluses and minuses to both systems.

I'm not saying the customization in DDO is bad I love it too.  I'm just saying that I see a lot of people throw it out as a reason why DDO is better yet every one of their characters is a cookie cutter build.  It's an overused line when most players don't do anything beyond using the flavor of the moment builds.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:29am by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #190 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:21am:
I never twitched... I never could get the timing down.

Twitching was about maximizing DPS by optimizing the attack animation chain.  That's actually not very important in DDO from a success/survival point of view.  It's great if you want to make videos about how bad ass your dps is, though. 

The part about moving around and dodging attacks is however.  It never ceases to amaze me how many idiots get knocked on their ass by giants or charging minotaurs.  They just stand there and take it.  Or how many players hate Harbor elite kobold shamans and their lightning bolts.  You know you can dodge those things, right?  They give an obvious tell before they cast them. 

Even at end game you had players who didn't really know what they were doing.  LoB was an interesting wake up call for a lot of lazy, stupid players.  You mean I have to pay attention to where I am on the map?  And what is going on behind, around and in front of me?  I can't just run up to the boss and start wailing away and bitch at the healer if I die? 

I think I saw on the ddo forums where Cale was saying that strategy(standing toe to toe with mobs and taking damage without regard) is not viable in GW2.  It made me laugh.  That strategy sucks in DDO too.  But it doesn't mean that some players aren't too stupid to figure that out.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #191 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:27am:
And lots of players fuck it up royally and totally gimp themselves, get frustrated, and quit the game because the mechanics of 70% of the game do not support anything beyond the lowest common denominator strategy.  How many forums threads start with I want to be different and end with 20 posters calling the player a gimp or a player with on odd and inefficient build crying because no one will let them in their groups?  Sure, if you want to play an MMO solo do what you want.  I'm not a sightseer; I'm a meta gamer.  I need goals and difficulty and that next piece of gear to get.  So, non-optimal builds make me want to punch a baby. 

1.  THere will be idiots in GW2 that will fuck up their toons or not play them correctly and get frustrated and quit.  That's not a new thing.  There will be forum group-think in GW2 that will push people to be sheep and follow the herd of conventional wisdom.  Nothing any game developer can do about that. 

2.  You can be a meta-gamer and not use a traditional min-max optimial build.  Optimal is defined by your playstyle.  Many of the best non-traditional builds really make use of the latest and best gear to make them hum.  In fact, by combining multiple PL's, end game gear, and ED's you can create some top notch end game toons that do not follow the cookie cutter paths of Tank, DPS, Support.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #192 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
sephiroth1084 wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:05am:
I don't mean looks, though that sounds pretty cool. One of the things I really like about DDO is that if affords a great deal of customization on the mechanics side between race choice, class choice, skills, feats, enhancements, and multiclassing options (and now epic destinies and twists), it gives me a lot to think about .

Not sure low customizability would be a definite deal breaker for me, but it's one of the reasons that I've never really played another MMO.

Ferr, you can't use your dartboard character planner in GW2!  Grin

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #193 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
No trading system?

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #194 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Quote:
No trading system?

You can mail stuff to other people which achieves the same thing.  If Breaken mails an item to me, I can access it from all of my characters, so I can log on to the character that needs it and detach.

ETA: You can check your mail at any time, anywhere, in town, in a dungeon, etc., so you don't have to wait to access a mailbox to get your stuff.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2012 at 1:41pm by »  

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #195 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
No trading system?

There is no person to person direct sales, and no COD mail.  They stated this early and often as trying to get people to use the across server AH.
Quote:
ETA: You can check your mail at any time, anywhere, in town, in a dungeon, etc., so you don't have to wait to access a mailbox to get your stuff.

Goes back to my lack of time sinks post.  Why run to a mailbox?  It wastes time.  Time is a Devs enemy.  Dont want those players using that time to explore the game.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2012 at 1:45pm by livefreeordie »  

IP Logged

BillDoor
Korthos Resident

Bla bla bla...

Reply #196 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 9:10am:
... There is a shit load to everywhere else. I can stay busy running solo and I can stay busy running in group. There isn't down time.

Well this does it for me. I found the internet hole to shove my money into; the game is downloading now.

I'm sick of the waiting around in DDO. Last night I spent more time tweaking an AHK script (now that that is legal) than I did playing the game.

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #197 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Just bought 2 copies for me and my GF last night, gonna create our 1st chars when I get home from work.  Any tips for new people just starting?

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #198 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Selee wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 1:54pm:
Just bought 2 copies for me and my GF last night, gonna create our 1st chars when I get home from work.  Any tips for new people just starting?

Kill the things. All the things.

Don't let the things kill you.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #199 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
You might want to start as the same race. That will make it easier to find each other at first.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31
Send TopicPrint