Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Why GW2 is better than DDO (Read 195413 times)
Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Re: Why GW2 is better than DDO
Reply #225 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:13pm:
In every quest, my FvS uses Heal, Cure Serious, Mass Cure Light, Mass Cure Moderate, Mass Cure Serious, BB, Implosion, Cometfall, Searing Light, Divine Punishment, Divine Favor, Divine Power and Destruction.  That's just off the top of my head.  There are probably a few others.  But then I melee, have a high necro DC, evocation DC, high Spell Pen and occasionally heal people.  You might play your divine caster differently.

I use BB and wings on mine.

Oh and I have Heal. I think.

I still complete the same stuff.

Munkenmo wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:41pm:
All hail Smrti.

Felgor wrote on Sep 11th, 2012 at 11:18pm:
Fuck Australia.

rev Jim wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:40am:
I wish I was a rich black woman sometimes........

IP Logged

ZeroBoost
Titan Demolisher

res ipsa loquitur

Reply #226 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
inb4 next page plz

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #227 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Vag1nasmasher wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 4:38pm:
Yay. 5 whole spells.. That sounds like it will never get old. lol

The elementalist had 4 spell types, with five skills for each, along with 4 utility skills that you select (and can be swapped for free when not in combat) from an underlying selection of about 30, along with an elite skill. 
Saying there are 5 skills, is like saying DDO has 3 builds, healer, DPS and tank.

IP Logged

Vag1nasmasher
Korthos Resident

Your reading things

Reply #228 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
In every quest, my FvS uses Heal, Cure Serious, Mass Cure Light, Mass Cure Moderate, Mass Cure Serious, BB, Implosion, Cometfall, Searing Light, Divine Punishment, Divine Favor, Divine Power and Destruction.  That's just off the top of my head.  There are probably a few others.  But then I melee, have a high necro DC, evocation DC, high Spell Pen and occasionally heal people.  You might play your divine caster differently.

This.......+ slay living...

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #229 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:18pm:
The elementalist had 4 spell types, with five skills for each, along with 4 utility skills that you select (and can be swapped for free when not in combat) from an underlying selection of about 30, along with an elite skill. 
Saying there are 5 skills, is like saying DDO has 3 builds, healer, DPS and tank.

Nah.  It's more like saying a hotbar can only hold 10 things in DDO.  But that's ignoring the fact that you can hotkey things, program your mouse, and create/populate up to 20 hot bars.  All of which gives you a wider range of options than 10.

Saying there are only 5 spells per weapon ignores the other skills you have, the fact that you might have two weapons equipped, that you can swap weapon sets, and that you can change what element you are attuned to.  All of which gives you a wider range of options than 5 (or 10, which seems to be the size of the skillbar in GW2) 

Both games have plenty of options for a character accessing a variety of abilities/spells to fit the need of a quest.  They just use different mechanics to make it happen.

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #230 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Yea, I was talking unarmed combatant. Still looks like a pretty good game.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #231 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:36pm
Print Post  

At least you can login to GW2 to cast those spells.  Better yet, once you're in, you push a skill and it actually goes off!  CRAZY BUSINESS

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #232 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Why would a FvS need Mass cure anything?  Why would a FvS have others in his party?

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #233 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:37pm:
Why would a FvS need Mass cure anything?  Why would a FvS have others in his party?

1 word - Coyle... *shudder*

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #234 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Smrti wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:14pm:
I use BB and wings on mine.

Oh and I have Heal. I think.

I still complete the same stuff.

With enough pots and patience I could complete content with only nimbus of light and cure light wounds.  BFD.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #235 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:37pm:

Some people have friends.  I'm sure you can google it if you aren't familiar with the term.

IP Logged

Vag1nasmasher
Korthos Resident

Your reading things

Reply #236 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
At least you can login to GW2 to cast those spells.  Better yet, once you're in, you push a skill and it actually goes off!  CRAZY BUSINESS

Lol... Well off to Gw2 with ya'll then.  Grin
Over all I'm not impressed. Then i can say the same about ddo.
These forums have been a nice read, are they about to become Gw2 vault?

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #237 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:46pm:
Some people have friends.  I'm sure you can google it if you aren't familiar with the term. 

I would be careful. You might stumble upon ponies if you Google friendship.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #238 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Better yet, once you're in, you push a skill and it actually goes off!  CRAZY BUSINESS

My primary frustration with DDO in a nutshell client performance has ground down to almost intolerable levels and all we get from Turbine is lip service about quality of life improvements.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #239 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:48pm:
My primary frustration with DDO in a nutshell client performance has ground down to almost intolerable levels and all we get from Turbine is lip service about quality of life improvements.

I'd agree with that.  As much as I think the content is too easy at many levels and I'd always like more content, I would rather not see another piece of content for 6 months if we got better performance as a result.

IP Logged

Vag1nasmasher
Korthos Resident

Your reading things

Reply #240 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:48pm:

This^^^^^

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #241 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:00pm:
I think I saw on the ddo forums where Cale was saying that strategy(standing toe to toe with mobs and taking damage without regard) is not viable in GW2.  It made me laugh.  That strategy sucks in DDO too.  But it doesn't mean that some players aren't too stupid to figure that out.

Stupid or not, it was and still continues to be a completely viable "strategy" in about 80+% of the content.  This is only true in Gw2 in about 5% of the at-level content.  That number raises depending on your character's actual level versus what level zone you are in, because gear and traits which would not have been available at those levels might be available if you're being down-leveled.  But even then, that number doesn't raise much.  In DDO it's stupid, but it still works.  In Gw2 it's suicide.

Quote:
No trading system?

This is one of the shortcomings, and one which many of us simply don't understand the decision process behind.

That number was completely baseless and/or taken out of context.

Asheras wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 5:33pm:
Nah.  It's more like saying a hotbar can only hold 10 things in DDO.  But that's ignoring the fact that you can hotkey things, program your mouse, and create/populate up to 20 hot bars.  All of which gives you a wider range of options than 10.

Saying there are only 5 spells per weapon ignores the other skills you have of which there are five more, the fact that you might have a second weapon set equipped, that you can swap those weapon sets on the fly, changing those first five skills to five different ones, and that elementalists can change what element you are attuned to [instead of having a weapon set swap]And that each profession has at least one professional skill [on the F1-F4 keys].  All of which gives you a wider range of options than 5 (or 10, which seems to be the size of the skillbar in GW2)

Both games have plenty of options for a character accessing a variety of abilities/spells to fit the need of a quest.  They just use different mechanics to make it happen.

This is a much better explanation of the skills.  I added some corrections and edits in red.
Basically, there are a vast array of possibilities for the number of skills that you may or may not have available.
Engineer is the perfect example for this.

Like the Elementalist, an Engineer does not get a weapon swap.  Instead he has weapon kits which slot in a Utility or Elite slot.  Each and every Utility skill in the game for a Engy, including racial skills, offers a secondary skill in his professional slots.  So an Engy that slots zero Kits will have five weapon slots, one heal, three utilities, one elite, and four toolbelt skills, for a total of fourteen skills available to draw from.  This is the lowest number possible by any profession.  It is also a poor way to slot skills for your Engy.

Each and every kit Equipped has it's own set of five skills to draw from.  So on the other end of the spectrum, an Engy might have five weapon skills, one MedKit [heal skill = five skills from that Kit], three Utility Kits [fifteen skills from those Utility Kits], one elite skill, and four professional skills on his toolbelt, for a total of twenty nine skills to draw from during combat.

So one Engineer has fourteen skills available, while another has more than twice that number of skills available.

The largest number of skills that may be available belongs to the Elementalist which slots Conjure skills.
Five weapons per Attunement for a total of twenty weapon skills, and five skills per Conjured weapon [three utility plus one elite] for a total of twenty more conjured weapon skills, plus one heal, for a total of forty one skills available.  Just like the Engy with no kits, this is a poor way to slot skills on your Ele.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2012 at 7:35pm by Cale »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #242 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yea, I was talking unarmed combatant. Still looks like a pretty good game.

This was a downer for me, but the rest of the game makes up for it easily.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #243 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 7:34pm:
This was a downer for me, but the rest of the game makes up for it easily.

You can slap me around if that would make you feel better!

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #244 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
What happens if you try to have nothing equipped in your weapon slots? Will it not let you or will you simply have no skills available?

Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #245 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Welp.

A friend of mine was..."less than impressed" by GW2 and is letting me try it out via his account.

I'm currently DLing the entire client via web. Tongue

Munkenmo wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:41pm:
All hail Smrti.

Felgor wrote on Sep 11th, 2012 at 11:18pm:
Fuck Australia.

rev Jim wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:40am:
I wish I was a rich black woman sometimes........

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #246 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 7:37pm:
What happens if you try to have nothing equipped in your weapon slots? Will it not let you or will you simply have no skills available?

You would have your heal, your three utility skills, and your elite skill.
So I guess by a technical standpooint, the lowest number of skills available is from a first level character that unequips the weapon he starts with and never attacks anything, and never slots any other skills when they become available.  He would have a Heal.

I should also note that every profession has at least one underwater weapon [and a swap if he has one on land], four downed state skills, and four drowning skills [underwater downed state].
Also every item you pick up gets it's own set of skills, whether it be a single attack, multiple attacks, a buff of some sort, a combination of these things, etc, until you put that item down or break it.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2012 at 7:44pm by Cale »  

IP Logged

Xenostrata
Ex Member

Reply #247 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Does race have any impact on game play beyond story-line/aesthetics?

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #248 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Speaking of aesthetics. How does the armor and stuff look? Any fullplate bikinis or GIANT SHOULDER PADS?

I can understand showing some skin on cloth armor, but not heavy armor.

IP Logged

Rastelin
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #249 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I'll chip in.

Anyone who says "oh the skill cap must be so low you only have 5 skills blah da blah" has not played the game.

First as has been said, every class has 5 weapon skills at any given time, 1 Healing, 3 Utility, and 1 Elite. You also have a weapons swap on most classes. So 10 attacks, and 5 other skills. Most of the skills are super useful (unlike ddo spells) as well, and the whole fact that there are abilities based on weapons swaps can make the weapon swap ability itself act as 1-2 buff skills. Every class also has a profession skill. For example, the elementalist has 4 stances that it can be in, and any good elementalist will be swapping through at least 3 to cycle through their powerful attacks. I was a good caster in DDO, and even though I had over 9000 bars full to the brim, most of the quest I was spamming 5 buttons. The rest were buffs, clickies, etc. No real skill, just more of an annoyance. I played the elementalist in some of the BWE, and I can tell you that with the 20 attack skills of an elementalist, it requires vastly more skill to be a great caster. Stance dancing is also super fun and has effects if you spec for it.

Secondly, very little running a-b. You can go wherever you like, and wherever you go, you'll find things to do. And once you do the things, you're DONE. You don't have to run anywhere to turn in a quest.

Third: The 'best' gear is easy to get. The best looking, is not. You have your status symbol gear done from being good at PVP or PVE, but you don't need to grind alot to be able to try and get it. Skill determines this game.

Fourth: PVP IS AMAZEBALLS. WvWvW is incredibly fun. I have been running with my old SWTOR guild on black gate, and we have been decimating. Coordination is rewarded  immensely in this game. Also, sPVP is almost like a separate game. It levels you up to max and gives you the option of any gear that you want, meaning you play for the prestige, and the OMFGfun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31
Send TopicPrint