Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Why GW2 is better than DDO (Read 195481 times)
Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Re: Why GW2 is better than DDO
Reply #250 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Dragonsomething right?

54% DLed. Undecided

Munkenmo wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:41pm:
All hail Smrti.

Felgor wrote on Sep 11th, 2012 at 11:18pm:
Fuck Australia.

rev Jim wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:40am:
I wish I was a rich black woman sometimes........

IP Logged

sephiroth1084
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #251 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 10:10am:
I've read this a lot when people speak of the upsides of DDO and in many ways I agree with them.  However, in reality even though DDO has many options only about 20 of those combinations are viable.  If there was so much customization why is everyone a clonk, an exploiter, a monster, a blitz...  etc etc.  This selling point of DDO is way oversold.

Eh. I disagree.

I've played a Ranger 18/rogue 1/fighter 1 that was all right (archer, so...you know). He's now a 12 monk/6 ranger/2 artificer, has respectable ranged DPS, ranged CC, self-healing via scrolls, other UMD-ables, and trap skills.

I have a paladin that has been a 14 paladin/6 fighter, a 20 fighter, an 18 paladin/2 fighter, is now a 20 paladin, and may end up as an 18/2 again down the road. I have a pure wizard, and an 18 wizard/2 rogue that focused on Ghoste's stealthy wizard schtick that I was enjoying for a while, and I've enjoyed following along with the Zombie wizard thread over on the DDO forums. I have an 18 barbarian/2 fighter that I like, had a rogue with a /1 fighter splash that I enjoyed until the capstone came out, and have tried a few different combinations of classes on my monk.

All of the above involved a deal of careful consideration and planning, which I enjoy, and largely turned out pretty well. Epic destinies overlaid add even more to the mix, as one character can feel quite different moving from one destiny to the next. Honestly, this is one of my favorite aspects of DDO, and of D&D (and of Magic the Gathering): I like building characters (and decks) and am often pushing pieces around in my head as I make my way through the day. Some people may fail horribly at character building, or may be overwhelmed by it, and many cleave to a less complex path by single-classing and using prescribed paths (and I admit that I do as well to some degree on some characters), but there is certainly a TON of room for creativity and variety. The build forums are constantly abuzz with new ideas and combinations. Some work very well, some are designed for only a certain niche of player, and some fail, but that's enjoyable, both to experience and to read.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #252 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Here Ferr.  Take a look for yourself.  You'll see at the top/center of the "box" there are three tabs.  Take a look at the customization options there.   The center tab is the most important one.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/

The five Trait trees allow for *massive* customization.  Everything from glass cannon builds, to tanky defensive builds, to support builds, to crit focused builds, to iconic profession builds.... and everything in between.
And this is true for every profession.
A Guardian that builds for 0/20/20/0/30 is going to have almost nothing in common with a Guardian that builds for 30/10/0/30/0 other than the fact that they both have a Guardian Icon.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:45pm by Cale »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #253 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Do you have to PvP to get good gear? I'm terribad at PvP and don't enjoy it at all.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #254 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Examples for you that I threw together from concepts that I've had, Ferr.  These weren't my exact builds, as I just threw them together here a moment ago from memory of the concepts, but you'll get the idea.

DPS Guardian with Shouts.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUEQJARWlUgCB33xKEg4EhliAawqHz7e2DTBGzIA

Damn near Immortal self healing Guardian with Meditations:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUEQRAsd7elYgSDHHyIEf4EhliAaQMFVE+XPgoDbIA

Support Guardian for dungeons [damn near the closest thing to a healer in this game]:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUEQNApeWlcgiBHGyOEm4ERmiRWSsHc0ib8SRClIA

None of those three Guardians are even remotely similar in play.  You could spend hours working in this builder and make thousands of different Guardians alone.

And no, rest.  For PvP, everyone is automatically raised to max level and given PvP gear [armor and weapons] so that the playing field is even.  The only differences come from build and playful skill.  Gear from PvP cannot even be used in PvE, and vice verse.  That's for structured PvP.  For WvW you use your normal gear, but WvW isn't required to get any of that gear.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2012 at 12:16am by Cale »  

IP Logged

TWDiggs
Mr. Infraction

Reply #255 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 1:22am
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Sep 13th, 2012 at 10:23pm:
Everything.
Name something about MMOs [not just Gw1, but any MMO] that you hate, and I'll tell you how Gw2 fixed it so that you don't hate that thing anymore.

Yes, it has it's flaws, just like any game does.  But it really is that much better and that much more fun.
Stainer's example in the OP [2. You are lvl 45 and your friend is lvl 7. No problem. The game fixes that for you. No changing characters.] was me.  I was level 47.  He was level 7 I think.  I saw him on, and I saw him running alone, so I threw him a party invite and I went and played with him.

I think Angry Joe basically tells it like it is here.

Ok, I am sold. Downloading now.  Cheesy

stainer wrote on Oct 5th, 2011 at 1:29pm:
Everyday that you aren't banned, is a borrowed day.

Grace wrote on Dec 2nd, 2012 at 8:31pm:
Well, you're a godless heathen, anyway. I would totally wear my rape whistle around you.
YIM  
IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #256 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 3:06am
Print Post  
Played a couple hours on a friends account as a dual pistol thief. Very cool to see traditional mmo abilities back in a game, like debuffs, pins, interrupts, etc. I may have to get it and roll up my old mesmer.

All hail Smrti.

Fuck Australia.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #257 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 4:13am
Print Post  
You are doing a decent sales pitch here. Hubby is on the way back from Canada so I could set it gurning while he makes me do improving stuff. Hmmmmm. How many bazillion gigs is it?

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #258 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 5:13am
Print Post  
Yep. Angry Joe convinced me I want to play this.

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #259 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 8:23am
Print Post  
I must be brain damaged or something, not really enjoying after the OMGSHINY! wore off. It just feels sluggish to me, PvP is of little interest (bug part of the game I know) and while combat an driving the character is about as close to DDO as any game, it still annoys me.

I guess I like the instance based quests more than an open world where "quests" are collecting tools or other random inane chores.

Maybe I just hate leveling new characters, or I just don't like the usual MMO style. Bit of both I think.

Proud Leader & official Gimp of Crimson Eagles on Khyber
Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor WF FvS 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 18 - Splatsplat 18/2 DoSIII

IP Logged

TWDiggs
Mr. Infraction

Reply #260 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Sep 15th, 2012 at 4:13am:
Hmmmmm. How many bazillion gigs is it?

It's farking huge.  Cheesy

stainer wrote on Oct 5th, 2011 at 1:29pm:
Everyday that you aren't banned, is a borrowed day.

Grace wrote on Dec 2nd, 2012 at 8:31pm:
Well, you're a godless heathen, anyway. I would totally wear my rape whistle around you.
YIM  
IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #261 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Felgor wrote on Sep 15th, 2012 at 8:23am:
I must be brain damaged or something, not really enjoying after the OMGSHINY! wore off. It just feels sluggish to me, PvP is of little interest (bug part of the game I know) and while combat an driving the character is about as close to DDO as any game, it still annoys me.

I guess I like the instance based quests more than an open world where "quests" are collecting tools or other random inane chores.

Maybe I just hate leveling new characters, or I just don't like the usual MMO style. Bit of both I think.

Well, no game can be for everyone, Fel.
As to the questing, the lower level areas have quite a few random inane quests thrown in, but as you level these get less and less until they literally don't exist anymore at higher levels.
The higher you get, the more important and [and more frequent, and more massive] dynamic events become.
There are areas at higher levels that literally have zero Hearts in them.  They are instead a massive map full of spiderweb branching dynamic events.  So that annoyance disappears.  If you tried WvW at all, imagine that, but in PvE versus the mobs rather than PvP versus the other servers.
And really, are those quests so much different from trying to find Venn in a random cell of the dungeon?  Not so much in my eyes.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2012 at 8:47am by Cale »  

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #262 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Sep 15th, 2012 at 8:45am:
from trying to find Venn in a random cell of the dungeon?

Never again.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #263 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Sep 15th, 2012 at 12:07am:
Examples for you that I threw together from concepts that I've had, Ferr.  These weren't my exact builds, as I just threw them together here a moment ago from memory of the concepts, but you'll get the idea.

DPS Guardian with Shouts.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUEQJARWlUgCB33xKEg4EhliAawqHz7e2DTBGzIA

Damn near Immortal self healing Guardian with Meditations:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUEQRAsd7elYgSDHHyIEf4EhliAaQMFVE+XPgoDbIA

Support Guardian for dungeons [damn near the closest thing to a healer in this game]:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fUEQNApeWlcgiBHGyOEm4ERmiRWSsHc0ib8SRClIA

None of those three Guardians are even remotely similar in play.  You could spend hours working in this builder and make thousands of different Guardians alone.

And no, rest.  For PvP, everyone is automatically raised to max level and given PvP gear [armor and weapons] so that the playing field is even.  The only differences come from build and playful skill.  Gear from PvP cannot even be used in PvE, and vice verse.  That's for structured PvP.  For WvW you use your normal gear, but WvW isn't required to get any of that gear.

Played a few hours with trols, got up to level 25 and I have to say guild wars is amazing in a lot of ways.  The actual combat is alot better and funner than DDO.  The graphics are just way better despite being only DX9.  Boss fights are just so much smoother due to the fact that it's multi-threaded properly.  I could go on. 

But there's quite a few things that are not good about GW, and customization is one of them.  Half your skills are tied to your weapon set and you only have ~10-ish skills and two weapon sets.  So you aren't really getting thousands of combinations, you're getting 5c2 = 10 different builds per profession, generally without much variation.  And half those weapon sets are crap, anyway (e.g., thief pistol/pistol). 

Another big problem is the massive botting problem.  They really just made it way too easy to bot, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was on purpose so they can ban people and get them to buy more copies.  Like GW1, GW2 is going to be a botters game.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #264 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 10:57am
Print Post  
GW2 sounds like a ton of weapon switching whenever I want to do something a little different. Fuck that shit. I'm lucky if I can remember to swap out my Voice, and I usually can't be bothered to care if I forget.

JDollar wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

JDollar wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:15am:
To put in DnD terms Grace is a CR 60 EE Ball Busting Bitch

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #265 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Sep 15th, 2012 at 10:57am:
GW2 sounds like a ton of weapon switching whenever I want to do something a little different. Fuck that shit. I'm lucky if I can remember to swap out my Voice, and I usually can't be bothered to care if I forget.

...You do play DDO right?

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #266 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 11:57am
Print Post  
I like it ok. It was a massive download though.

All hail Smrti.

Fuck Australia.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #267 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Sep 15th, 2012 at 11:05am:

I usually have 10-20 weapons on me at all times, depending on the toon. Less for my monk, more for my TWF rogue. I swap them out situationally for different dungeons or large groups. I rarely use more than two weapons or sets for any quest. I would venture to say that's the norm in DDO. I will set my own hair on fire before I play something where I have to swap out every time I want to cast a different kind of spell or use a different skill. I tolerate that shit - barely - in early levels in DDO, but by the time I hit 15-16 my gear is integrated enough that if I walk into a quest and don't change anything, I'm still fine 90% of the time.

tl;dr Gear swapping sucks.

she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #268 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 7:15pm:
Stupid or not, it was and still continues to be a completely viable "strategy" in about 80+% of the content.  This is only true in Gw2 in about 5% of the at-level content.  That number raises depending on your character's actual level versus what level zone you are in, because gear and traits which would not have been available at those levels might be available if you're being down-leveled.  But even then, that number doesn't raise much.  In DDO it's stupid, but it still works.  In Gw2 it's suicide.

Not really.  It's suicide in DDO too.  Especially for 28 pt non-twink, low plat toons that dont know the quests, mobs and mechanics like the back of their hands.  I think that your years of playing DDO has dimmed your memory of how it was.  I remember not being able to solo Gwylans Stand on norm at level on my first toon ever (a fighter).  Now I'd solo it on any of my toons at level 5 without a second thought.

The difference is more in the players than the game.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #269 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Sep 15th, 2012 at 10:24am:
But there's quite a few things that are not good about GW, and customization is one of them.  Half your skills are tied to your weapon set and you only have ~10-ish skills and two weapon sets.  So you aren't really getting thousands of combinations, you're getting 5c2 = 10 different builds per profession, generally without much variation.  And half those weapon sets are crap, anyway (e.g., thief pistol/pistol).  

I'm not talking about weapon skills as the "build."  I'm talking about Traits here, coupled with weapon skills and secondary skills.
Having 70 Trait points to spread however you want within five disciplines, and each of those disciplines having up to three minor traits and up to three major traits [from twelve to choose from within each line] depending on how many points you spend per tier, allows for massive customization.
Look again at those links and see that each one uses different weapons sets, making for completely different skills.  Each of them has different utility and elite skills, making for completely different secondary skills.  Each of them has different traits, making for different build types and play styles.
Those three builds have absolutely nothing in common during play other than the fact that they all have Guardian icons.  And that was just ten minutes in the planner total.  With some time spent on it, that number gets ridiculously large.  And that's just Guardian.  Every single profession is exactly the same way in this.
Customization is huge in this game.  It just happens slowly and incrementally over the course of leveling rather than at character creation.  At level one every Guardian will be the same.  At level 80 there are literally thousands of possible Guardian builds.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2012 at 12:59pm by Cale »  

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #270 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
I truly do not understand how I can build three completely different characters from the same profession in a matter of minutes that have absolutely nothing in common other than F1, F2 and F3 skills, and you then say that there are only ten possible combinations.
That's fucking asinine.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #271 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking the most effective possible trolling of Cale would be to post about not liking GW2. Where's Azog when you need him?

she's Kmack's property

Quote:

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #272 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Sep 15th, 2012 at 1:11pm:
I'm thinking the most effective possible trolling of Cale would be to post about not liking GW2. Where's Azog when you need him?

Fel said he didn't really care for it much, but he did so without making baseless and uninformed claims about things.  I can respect that.

IP Logged

RJ
Korthos Resident

Dungeon Master

Reply #273 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
What it might be for some people is the odd transitioning from the DND character building to this weird GW2 char building. As of now I have no idea what to put trait points into, what abilities to get, what gear to aim for, etc. I'm sure in a couple months I and everyone else will have figured it out.

LvL 80s: Thief, Necro, Warrior, Guardian, and Elementalist. Leader of the Dragon Blood Cult [DBC] of Maguuma.

IP Logged

Ragedancer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #274 - Sep 15th, 2012 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
how does it compare to the spirit of gw1? is it the same feel, or did they ncsoft it out and make it more like lineage?

i've been reading more reviews, and it seems pretty damn good.  will wait more and see how it outlives its hype.

ddo is getting pretty stale.

Quote:
Oh man, penis gets me every time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31
Send TopicPrint