Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Why GW2 is better than DDO (Read 196388 times)
Gawna
Ex Member

Re: Why GW2 is better than DDO
Reply #450 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 11:27am:
I got into fights a lot as a kid.  I just like to impart a little reality and self realization on people.  Just because they are afraid to accept it has nothing to do with the facts presented to them.

Who do you blame?

IP Logged

sephiroth1084
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #451 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 11:27am:
I got into fights a lot as a kid.  I just like to impart a little reality and self realization on people.  Just because they are afraid to accept it has nothing to do with the facts presented to them.

While they may not have wanted to face facts, it sounds like they faced you!

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #452 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 at 11:10am:
GW2 has shown they not only take account of player opinion, but it actually helps in their decision making.

If Turbine listened to the player base this game wouldn't be so fucking shitty right now.

I'm going with Meh again.  A new game is like a new job, new house, new car, new baby, new girlfriend, whatever.

There's always that period of new-ness and everyone is happy and excited.  Then reality sets in and you see the flaws.  The boss is still a selfish, arrogant jerk.  The hot water doesn't last long enough and the AC doesn't keep up in the summer.  The gas mileage is for shit and the seat belt indicator beep is fucking annoying.  All you do is pay the bills and clean up someone else's shit.   (That applies to the last two).

Give it a year.  They will miss a deadline on a release.  They will introduce content that is Meh.  They will let a bug slip into production.  For competitive balance, they will have to alter the skills/stats in a way that nerfs some builds.  No thing, person, game or company is perfect.  That doesn't stop consumers from expecting the perfect experience from everything.  And getting bent outta shape when they don't get it.  Especially that hard core gamer that has WAAAAAAY too much emotional investment in the game. 

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #453 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
sephiroth1084 wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 1:43pm:

Epoch is a fact of life.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #454 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 2:03pm:
There's always that period of new-ness and everyone is happy and excited. 

I totally agree with everything you said Ash.  I played DDO for 6 years and, sure, I wasn't happy about certain things, but I was willing to overlook them because I geniunely enjoyed the game.  I never found another game that came close to replacing DDO for me until Guild Wars 2.  GW has and will have plenty of issues, but, like DDO, if I'm having fun playing, I don't really care.

In GW, you get cheddar for clearing maps.  To clear a map you need to get every waypoint (rez points), point of interest (explorer areas), vistas (points of interest but on the top of a mountain, roof, whatever with a fun little cut scene to show your surroundings), skill points (either a fight or a place to commune with to obtain a skill point), and heart (quests).  There have been a few instances since launch that some of the skill points have been bugged, so those maps could not be completed.  Some events have gotten stuck halfway through.  Is it annoying?  Hell yes.  Can I still go do something else and have an awesome time playing?  Double hell yes.

As long as the fun factor is there, I'm happy.  I'm having an awesome time playing a new, shiny game with content I've never explored before.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #455 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
I'm going with Meh again.  A new game is like a new job, new house, new car, new baby, new girlfriend, whatever.

I am sorry dude, but you haven't played it. Your opinion on this game is like blanks opinion on sex with women.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #456 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 4:48pm
Print Post  

There's always that period of new-ness and everyone is happy and excited.  Then reality sets in and you see the flaws.  The boss is still a selfish, arrogant jerk.  The hot water doesn't last long enough and the AC doesn't keep up in the summer.  The gas mileage is for shit and the seat belt indicator beep is fucking annoying.  All you do is pay the bills and clean up someone else's shit.   (That applies to the last two).

Give it a year.  They will miss a deadline on a release.  They will introduce content that is Meh.  They will let a bug slip into production.  For competitive balance, they will have to alter the skills/stats in a way that nerfs some builds.  No thing, person, game or company is perfect.  That doesn't stop consumers from expecting the perfect experience from everything.  And getting bent outta shape when they don't get it.  Especially that hard core gamer that has WAAAAAAY too much emotional investment in the game. 

stainer wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 3:00pm:
I am sorry dude, but you haven't played it. Your opinion on this game is like blanks opinion on sex with women.

The game is great, this is coming from someone who still plays ddo over it.  The combat system isn't really my style though, I prefer ddos enough over it to play ddo instead.  I play gw2 when I am bored, that is about it.

Noone said they were perfect, in comparison to ddos development process, they are amazing.  There were bugs when the game first released, lots of them.  They were putting out bug patches every day.  When was the last time you saw ddo do that after a  release - that wasn't an exploit?

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #457 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
sephiroth1084 wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 1:43pm:

Schmoe wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 2:41pm:
Epoch is a fact of life.

Quote:
Who do you blame?

I blame their parents.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #458 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 5:06pm
Print Post  

I believe that DDO's problem remains Turbine's communication skills, or lack thereof. I am likely jaded, and bitter, but when I think about Turbine, the following words pop into my head:

Secretive. Opaque. Uncommunicative. Deceptive. Greedy. Grasping. Out of touch. Clueless. Incompetent. Unaware. Uncaring. Dismissive. Intolerant. Inconsistent. Visionless. Directionless. Unresponsive. Shoddy. Incomplete.

I am sure that many vaulties have a similar list of adjectives to describe Turbine. How did they get to that point with so many players? Vast and Mysterious was before my time, but the hidden nerfs, the constant breakage, and the poor product quality have added up. U14 had a hard release date that would have been ugly to push back regardless of how much it needed another six months to polish, but what kind of moron would release U15 knowing the quests were broken?

Turbine has shot themselves in the foot over and over again. Yellow dopant could have been a huge win for them, but the price and drop rate was so badly managed that it harmed Turbine's reputation with the playerbase more than it helped them. Some developer put weeks of their life into a feature that they have a right to be proud of, and then yellow dopant got mismanaged into being the bastard child of a malicious joke and a cash grab. That same scenario has been played out over and over and over - from releasing artificers without the ability for subscribers to unlock, to the double nerf to challenges, to the most recent raid.

Actually working to be responsive, transparent, and communicative goes a long ways. My exposure to GW2 is limited to this board, but from the sounds of it, they're making fewer mistakes than Turbine, and are doing a better job communicating with players. I don't get the impression that ArenaNet are going to cave to every player whim, as that would make any game suck. However, all you have to do is listen to the customer (and make sure that they believe that you're listening), respond in detail why you cannot do what they want, tell them what you are doing instead and why, and even nerfs or unfixable bugs go down more smoothly.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #459 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 4:49pm:
I blame their parents.

Classic Canadian Rock

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2012 at 5:23pm by JDollar »  

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

RJ
Korthos Resident

Dungeon Master

Reply #460 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 7:33pm
Print Post  

LvL 80s: Thief, Necro, Warrior, Guardian, and Elementalist. Leader of the Dragon Blood Cult [DBC] of Maguuma.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #461 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
I am mixed about gw2. Don't get me wrong, I think its a great game, but I am unsure about end game and their ability to retain population long term due to this. Free updates like the one coming up will help a lot though Smiley

ddo, while better then gw2 in many respects, is run by a company that started using ddo as an atm  Cry
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2012 at 8:09pm by mystafyi »  

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #462 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Imagine if DDO had been run by ArenaNet.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #463 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 4:00am
Print Post  
JC wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 9:37pm:
Imagine if DDO had been run by ArenaNet.

I don't want to cry, so I would rather not.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Rastelin
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #464 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
What server are you guys on again?

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #465 - Oct 15th, 2012 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Rastelin wrote on Oct 15th, 2012 at 3:53pm:
What server are you guys on again?

Everyone is on Darkhaven. Go there.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #466 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Oct 12th, 2012 at 3:00pm:

You can get a good look a t-bone steak by sticking your head up a cow's ass.  Or you can take the butcher's word for it.

Smiley

May not be relevant, but it felt like a good time for a Tommy Boy quote.

Basically, though, you are correct.  My experience with GW2 is lacking.  My experience with multiple existing games over years of wasting time playing video games on the PC, Internet, and consoles, however, is that the cycle you go through is similiar, regardless of the game or the developer. 

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2012 at 4:44pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #467 - Oct 16th, 2012 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
I has a sad with Turbine right now. Their buggy fucking Lotro expansion killed my Ddo launcher too, and I appear to have to do a clean install of both. Since my oh so lovely ISP throttles Turbine at 100k per second, this is going to take bloody forever.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #468 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Oct 16th, 2012 at 5:18pm:
Their buggy fucking Lotro expansion killed my Ddo launcher too,

I always assumed that LOTRO was much better run, is that not the case?

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #469 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 9:35am
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Oct 17th, 2012 at 8:05am:
I always assumed that LOTRO was much better run, is that not the case?

There are many angry mobs with pitchforks on the LOTRO forums right now. Something went very wrong with the Rohan expansion and patches thereof, quite a few people are having data corruption issues. They are doing a hotfix ATM but I'm staying well away for a week or so (it's my freetard off game).

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #470 - Oct 17th, 2012 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Similar to the Turbine set up
[quote author=Redit]
We’re doing a group AMAA and we have most of the programming team behind Guild Wars 2 here to answer your questions. This isn’t a marketing exercise, we’re looking for technical questions and we’ll give you technical answers! You’re welcome to ask about anything, although we reserve the right to clam up about anything we consider to be our secret game development sauce. Guild Wars 2 is a big game and its development touched basically every area of game programming – ask us about engines, servers, web, tools, gameplay, you name it.

It’s worth pointing out upfront that we’re programmers, not designers! So if you want to know why your favorite skill was changed or when you should sell all of your hoarded butter to maximize gold return, we probably won’t be able to help.

Our programmers are here to answer as many answers as they can in the couple of few hours, so ask away! [/quote]
Example
Q.
    What programming methodologies does your team use? ie. agile, scrum, etc.
    What do you use for source control and how do you handle refactoring code for optimization? Or do you try for best optimization on the first pass?
    What standards and practices do you use?
    How does someone that is a new graduate get into the game programming job market when most jobs require being part of a published title already?
    What is your engine written in?
    How often to you dive down to the bit level of data manipulation?
    Ever have to write Assembly code?

A.
    This depends on the phase of the project which we're in - during "normal" development (like now!) we use a customized scrum-based project. When we're finalling we tend to go back to a traditional team-based just-fix-the-bugs process.
    We use perforce for source control. We have a few branches which we can work in to do refactoring (for optimization or any reason) so we can roll things out when they're ready.
    Game development is actually pretty normal software development - we use technical design documents, coding standards, code reviews, etc, etc.
    Write games in your spare time! They don't have to be massive, just small polished games. People who are passionate about game development can't help themselves - they write games no matter what. That's how I got into the industry - I wrote a Game Boy emulator.
    It's mostly in C++
    Very often Smiley
    Sometimes, although these days it's fairly rare

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/11mz4k/i_am_a_programmer_for_guild_wars_...
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2012 at 2:33pm by livefreeordie »  

IP Logged

RJ
Korthos Resident

Dungeon Master

Reply #471 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
So what's everyones state of mind after ArenaNets first in-game event? And how about the next content update on November 15th?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/november-2012/

Oh and stainer, how'd you like that clocktower?

LvL 80s: Thief, Necro, Warrior, Guardian, and Elementalist. Leader of the Dragon Blood Cult [DBC] of Maguuma.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #472 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 10:01am
Print Post  
I got every Halloween achievement other then the clock tower.  That kicked my ass.  Over the event spent about 2 hours trying to do it.  I consider myself a pretty good twich skill type player, but just could not get it done.  Loved it.  I have no issues with failing, except when its cause of broken stuff or game mechanics.  This was just flat out to hard for me. 

Did not like Act IV.  After Act III where you go into his lair and fight him, I was expecting more then a game of Simon says.  Did get a cool witch hat. 

Was surprised about the Nov 15th update, as they will be doing another one a month later for Christmas.  Hope they keep the updates into the new year coming quickly.  They have mentioned a new Protagonist, in the form of an 'evil guild'

MMORPG.com's Guild Wars 2 New Content Preview with Pokket and Colin Johanson.
http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/337726366
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2012 at 10:04am by livefreeordie »  

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #473 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Loved the Halloween stuff!  Finally got to the top of the clocktower last night!  BOOYA!  I screeched in Vent when it happened, I was so excited.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #474 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Loved the Halloween stuff!  Finally got to the top of the clocktower last night!  BOOYA!  I screeched in Vent when it happened, I was so excited.

You screech in vent basically all the time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31
Send TopicPrint