Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Why GW2 is better than DDO (Read 195484 times)
Gawna
Ex Member

Re: Why GW2 is better than DDO
Reply #600 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Maxwell Edison wrote on Jan 23rd, 2013 at 6:35pm:
was the vendor an elevator?

I totally got so frustrated wandering around trying to get to a quest.  I was just about to give up when I see some movement to the side...it was an elevator that took me right up to the quest entrance.  My chest turned all red and blotchy in embarassment even though I was by myself.

IP Logged

RJ
Korthos Resident

Dungeon Master

Reply #601 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
This isn't a new thing - the GW2 forums have been that way since launch. 

Yeah, the players on that forum always have something to complain about. At launch it was unidentified dyes, then ascended gear, now precursors, and now skipping some mobs here and there. The whining is horrendous.

LvL 80s: Thief, Necro, Warrior, Guardian, and Elementalist. Leader of the Dragon Blood Cult [DBC] of Maguuma.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #602 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Ive gone to great lenghts to stay away from forums of GW2.  They are toxic and take to much of my time.  I only check the reddit gw2 page, which gets me any update info I need.

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #603 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
who updates at 4pm when everyone is just getting out of work?

EDIT: Doesn't matter, took less than 5 minutes. This is why guild wars 2 is better than DDO.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2013 at 4:43pm by Soul »  

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #604 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
They have an in game clock. This is why Guild Wars 2 is better than DDO.

IP Logged

RJ
Korthos Resident

Dungeon Master

Reply #605 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 12:02am
Print Post  
They have Giganticus Lupicus.

This is why Guild Wars 2 is better than DDO.

LvL 80s: Thief, Necro, Warrior, Guardian, and Elementalist. Leader of the Dragon Blood Cult [DBC] of Maguuma.

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #606 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 10:07am
Print Post  
I think the polish and rebalancing they did on a lot of things is well done. The event doesn't really start until noon today, but I am looking forward to it as the last 2 events were well done overall.

Unfortunately, Tuesday is PnP night and I am the DM, so I will have to wait until tomorrow to see the event.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #607 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Quote:
I think the polish and rebalancing they did on a lot of things is well done. The event doesn't really start until noon today, but I am looking forward to it as the last 2 events were well done overall.

Unfortunately, Tuesday is PnP night and I am the DM, so I will have to wait until tomorrow to see the event.

Download this maybe in 90 minutes you have killed everybody and you can see the event sooner...

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #608 - Jan 29th, 2013 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Quote:
Download this maybe in 90 minutes you have killed everybody and you can see the event sooner...

I already have it, but trust me, I don't need it.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #609 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 3:54am
Print Post  
atleast ddo has forums...

http://youtu.be/7eyon0gtM5w

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

GreyMouser
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #610 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
RJ wrote on Jan 24th, 2013 at 2:07pm:
Yeah, the players on that forum always have something to complain about. At launch it was unidentified dyes, then ascended gear, now precursors, and now skipping some mobs here and there. The whining is horrendous.

Hilarious.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #611 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Mouser,

I'm sure you know that hatred for gaming employees is universal, but to entertain you I'll quote a sample interaction on the GW2 forums:

Dev....
Quote:
We are currently looking into the rewards for events like this. I will post more information on this as it becomes available. Risk vs Reward is most certainly something we are thinking about.

Next player reply...
Quote:
In other words……that’s the last we’ll hear about it for 3-5 months. Keep your expectations low-none, that way you’re not that disappointed and if something happens…yay!

IP Logged

GreyMouser
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #612 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
It is because the common theory is don't engage. It can actually kill your product. This may sound snarky, but I don't mean it that way at all. We are the experts...be it Turbine on our game, the producer of some movie or TV show or what not. We are the gatekeepers.We are paid to live and breathe this stuff. It is up to us to make those decisions. If it is left to the masses...it just doesn't ever work out. Imagine for example if Bill Belichick picked players based on on-line forums? Would that build a championship level team? Or worse, listening to some fan to call the plays of a game?
Can you have a nice healthy relationship with your fanbase? Yes. I've witnessed it in both the early Quake and Unreal days, and with City of Heroes. But even there you heard people years later complain about the great Enhancement Diversification of 2006. Even though on all levels it was the correct thing to do for the game. Vilified, yelled at, wraor.
The biggest issue with the internet is well, opinions are like assholes, everyone has them.Sadly most of the time it starts with ' Developer n is an assmunch...this is a better way.' Yeah, lost that dev at assmunch...that is human nature. Why would the dev read beyond it...and if he did, his defenses are already up and will discount any good ideas that may be there.That is just human nature. Try this. Walk into some restaurant and have the first thing out of your mouth be and insult. See what happens.
  The insults may be clever and stuff, but they have the exact opposite effect I think some people are looking for...then there are the ones that look at forums as some fucked up extreme sport and trolling a game of it's own of course.
See even writing that I'm asking myself, why bother, I know there is now 20 posts of dick jokes in my future.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #613 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Sorry, I didn't read past Bill Belichick.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #614 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
If Bill Belichick built a team that crashed every 4 days, the fans would be pleasant about it.
If every time Bill Belichick put a tight end in the game, his center quit working, the fans would be pleasant about it.
If every time Bill Belichick had his team kick a field goal the ball would hang, frozen in the air for 4 mins, and when it finally moved again, the other team had scored six touchdowns, the fans would be pleasant about it.

Analogies. You should think them through.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #615 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:12pm:
If Bill Belichick built a team that crashed every 4 days, the fans would be pleasant about it.
If every time Bill Belichick put a tight end in the game, his center quit working, the fans would be pleasant about it.
If every time Bill Belichick had his team kick a field goal the ball would hang, frozen in the air for 4 mins, and when it finally moved again, the other team had scored six touchdowns, the fans would be pleasant about it.

Analogies. You should think them through.

You're awesome, stainer.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #616 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
GreyMouser wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:04pm:
It is because the common theory is don't engage. It can actually kill your product. This may sound snarky, but I don't mean it that way at all. We are the experts...be it Turbine on our game, the producer of some movie or TV show or what not. We are the gatekeepers.We are paid to live and breathe this stuff. It is up to us to make those decisions. If it is left to the masses...it just doesn't ever work out. Imagine for example if Bill Belichick picked players based on on-line forums? Would that build a championship level team? Or worse, listening to some fan to call the plays of a game?
Can you have a nice healthy relationship with your fanbase? Yes. I've witnessed it in both the early Quake and Unreal days, and with City of Heroes. But even there you heard people years later complain about the great Enhancement Diversification of 2006. Even though on all levels it was the correct thing to do for the game. Vilified, yelled at, wraor.
The biggest issue with the internet is well, opinions are like assholes, everyone has them.Sadly most of the time it starts with ' Developer n is an assmunch...this is a better way.' Yeah, lost that dev at assmunch...that is human nature. Why would the dev read beyond it...and if he did, his defenses are already up and will discount any good ideas that may be there.That is just human nature. Try this. Walk into some restaurant and have the first thing out of your mouth be and insult. See what happens.
  The insults may be clever and stuff, but they have the exact opposite effect I think some people are looking for...then there are the ones that look at forums as some fucked up extreme sport and trolling a game of it's own of course.
See even writing that I'm asking myself, why bother, I know there is now 20 posts of dick jokes in my future.

lol, penis.

fnord

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #617 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:15pm:
You're awesome, stainer.

I forgot to add - If the field goal kicker was kicking 78 yard field goals and Bill Belichick cut his leg off so the wide receiver wouldn't feel bad about not scoring as much, the fans would be real pleasant about that.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:23pm by stainer »  

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #618 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:23pm
Print Post  

In all seriousness, I do agree with a lot of what you say here.  I don't blame you for what is going wrong at Turbine.  I don't blame anyone on the QA team or on the development team for the problems that you have with DDO's quality.  I absolutely know that you know there are issues and you want very much to work on those issues and make DDO a better game than it is today.  I blame Andy Reid.  Bill Belichick wins games.  Andy Reid doesn't.  Now Andy Reid has been replaced and I am happy.

And by Andy Reid, I mean Fernando and the folks who make the ultimate decisions on what Turbine's priorities are.

fnord

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #619 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
then there are the ones that look at forums as some fucked up extreme sport and trolling a game of it's own of course.

You should be more kind to FoS. He's a cow-irker after all.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

LordPiglet
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #620 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:42pm
Print Post  

To me, as a former CoH player, it wasn't about whether the adjustments from Ehancement Diversification were necessary, it's how it was presented.  They had just done some major changes with the Global Defense decreases.  They then went and snuck ED in with the CoV closed beta putting it behind that NDA.  They even did the update on the weekend, in the end Cuppa ended up calling a producer to get permission to post about it on the forums and Jack Emmett got called out for lying to players. 

They were also using a flawed build on their own internal test server to generate dps numbers to back up the changes, (don't remember if it was the defense ones or the ED ones.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #621 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
then there are the ones that look at forums as some fucked up extreme sport and trolling a game of it's own of course.

Then there are those of us that have taken quite a bit of time to study something from several angles and actually checked how things work in a live fire exercise as opposed to documentation, been civil, and still seen over-corrections when something is addressed, and glib mockery as excuses for why something isn't. You'll pardon me if the irritation leaks on occasion. Particularly when the 'experts' show a distinct lack of understanding of the basics upon which they've built their systems, and how those interact.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:59pm by »  

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #622 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
You should tell FoS to stop fucking engaging.  It's really fucking frustrating to see him tell players to put in a bug report in a snarktastic way when people have been entering bug reports FOR THAT SPECIFIC bug for months!  Last time I checked, I wasn't even able to access the bug report form on an epic level character.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #623 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:17pm
Print Post  

Some of what you say is true I generally avoided insults when addressing devs sometimes emotions got the better of me and by the end I just didn't give a fuck.  As someone who has been involved in this game 6 plus years I have seen a lot and been through a lot.  There was a core of dedicated players who hung on through the lean times and help keep the game afloat when there was nothing but silence and emptiness.  We invested a lot and cared a lot.  In return, we have gotten fucked...most of the time and effort we invested was pissed on by MOTU.

I don't know whose jackass idea it was to load all the system changes in as part of the expansion but it was fucking stupid.  The results speak for themselves.  You obviously did not have the resources to do both.  Over 6 months later and some ED's still don't function correctly.  The game itself stability wise is at it's worst point ever.  It's also obvious that you are focusing on casual players at the exclusion of those of us who would have been considered hardcore or meta gamers.  You are obviously focused on driving store sales rather than building mechanics that make sense and supporting subscribers.  You're the Chicago Cubs of development.  You know the fanbois will show up to drink beer and watch the game so who cares about winning.  You think you guys get a raw deal on the forums.  You guys have a cake walk.  If this wasn't the only D&D MMO no one would put up with the piss poor quality you have delivered over the last year.

I spoke personally with and Glin at PAX East.  I had a private 15 minute demo of MOTU while they were between press interviews they are both very nice and personable and obviously cared.  The both also guaranteed an enhancement revamp with all pre's by August.  When the Executive Producer cannot even hit a date that he planned for you know the system is fucked.  This is Turbine.  Promises and half finished systems...  Poorly planned and thought out game changes...  I could list them but why bother you know them.   ...maybe one...  guild ranks and housing... players begged for a years for guild housing.  We get ships two years ago and not a single enhancement or upgrade to the system since...on top of that it takes two years for you all to realize the decay mechanic was too punitive and destroying the sense of community.  Dozens of posts but yeah, we are all ignorant whinny bitches...not the experts.

As for listening to players, I think you guys do listen but mostly to the wrong ones.  Also, you tend to arrogantly ignore negative feedback.  We said multiple times that the new raid was a mess but Flimsy was too hurt by people not liking his raid to really listen and understand.  Yet, it was released and shut down what 3 times...  I've played dozens of MMO and never seen raids and quest closed as often as in this game.  Other games patch exploits in hours or days to your weeks.   It should be embarrassing to you guys when you compare yourselves to your peers.

I was so excited for MOTU and Epic levels and in the end you turned me and a lot of people I played with off the game.  I had hope that it would inject the game with newness and challenge and bring back some of the hardcore players who had left.  Instead we got a buggy mess that nerfed all over the place and changed the grind from a gear grind on Epic to an XP slog on Easy.

You may be the gatekeepers but someone is asleep on guard duty.  Maybe this is the best one can expect out of a 6 plus year old engine.  Maybe I have inflated expectations...  all I have seen in the last two years are recycled mechanics, nerfs, and utter lack of creative content.  Just add more HP and crank up saves...   This was a great game.   It's too bad that selling raid bypasses, XP, and whatever else is now the goal of the game rather than providing entertainment.

P.S.  I think you do the best you can in a bad situation and don't assign blame to you.  There are quite obviously fundamental flaws in the process there and a historical lack of focus on quality.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:30pm by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #624 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Fun fact:  If pretty much anyone aside from GreyMouser had come from Turbine to talk to us about something like that, it would have been exclusively penis jokes and venom in response.

We actually do like you.

Can you please get Feather of Sun to make a DDO Vault account and start his own thread so that we can tell him how we really feel about the job he is doing?  Because we do not like him as much as we like you (you might have noticed this at some point) and we could put all of the penis jokes and pictures of steaming poop in that thread.

fnord

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31
Send TopicPrint