Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Why GW2 is better than DDO (Read 195252 times)
LordPiglet
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Re: Why GW2 is better than DDO
Reply #625 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:18pm:
Fun fact:  If pretty much anyone aside from GreyMouser had come from Turbine to talk to us about something like that, it would have been exclusively penis jokes and venom in response.

We actually do like you.

Can you please get Feather of Sun to make a DDO Vault account and start his own thread so that we can tell him how we really feel about the job he is doing?  Because we do not like him as much as we like you (you might have noticed this at some point) and we could put all of the penis jokes and pictures of steaming poop in that thread.

Feather of suck does have an account and has posted on here.  Don't remember the name, but it's in the thread talking about the layoffs.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #626 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
We actually do like you.

More so we respect him and his honesty and willingness to engage and take his lumps both here and there.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #627 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
LordPiglet wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:23pm:
Feather of suck does have an account and has posted on here.  Don't remember the name, but it's in the thread talking about the layoffs.

It's the name of his original forum account when he was a player, Solar Dawning.

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #628 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Can you please get Feather of Sun to make a DDO Vault account

He has one - he is Solar Dawning.  After the Turbine lay off, he said he wasn't let go because he's good at his job.  You know, because the only reason people get laid off is because they're terribad at their job.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #629 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
He has one - he is Solar Dawning.  After the Turbine lay off, he said he wasn't let go because he's good at his job.  You know, because the only reason people get laid off is because they're terribad at their job.

Good LORD, I had somehow blocked that out of my mind.  I don't want to see anyone lose their livelyhood, but I do wish that he did a better job of making good things for DDO than he currently does.

Maj, remember the bit where I said that I really don't blame any of the devs or the QA team for Turbine's DDO problems?  Feather of Sun is an exception to that.

fnord

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #630 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
GreyMouser wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:04pm:
It is because the common theory is don't engage. It can actually kill your product. This may sound snarky, but I don't mean it that way at all. We are the experts...be it Turbine on our game, the producer of some movie or TV show or what not.

This isn't entirely true either.  CCP has the player council.  Bioware held a guild summit.  Notch regularly engages his player base.  Just to name a few...

Quote:

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #631 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 9:31pm:
This isn't entirely true either.  CCP has the player council.  Bioware held a guild summit.  Notch regularly engages his player base.  Just to name a few...

Oh sure, but just how successful are those comp...

Oh.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #632 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 9:31pm:

DDO has Shade

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

NOTdarth
Puppy Farmer

Save the Planet, Kill
Yourself

Reply #633 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 2:58am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:47pm:
DDO has Shade

Put some more salt on the open wound, why dontcha.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #634 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 5:11am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:26pm:
More so we respect him and his honesty and willingness to engage and take his lumps both here and there.

Aye, this. I miss the Let's Talks. We could really do with one for the quality of life stuff but I guess it is unlikely to happen. Shame really.

IP Logged

ZeroBoost
Titan Demolisher

res ipsa loquitur

Reply #635 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 6:45am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:47pm:
DDO has Shade

Shade is obviously the man for the job.

Let's get him, Chai, Xynot, and Godh to be on the Turbine advisory panel. I'm sure nothing but good things will happen.

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #636 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I don't completely agree with your Grey Mouser, but I do think you have some salient points. I certainly think you are are doing the best you can considering your situation, especially dealing with  those in positions that are considered Manglement.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #637 - Feb 1st, 2013 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
ZeroBoost wrote on Feb 1st, 2013 at 6:45am:
Shade is obviously the man for the job.

Let's get him, Chai, Xynot, and Godh to be on the Turbine advisory panel. I'm sure nothing but good things will happen.

A pipe bomb?

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #638 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 12:54am
Print Post  
It is because the common theory is don't engage. It can actually kill your product. This may sound snarky, but I don't mean it that way at all. We are the experts...be it Turbine on our game, the producer of some movie or TV show or what not.

I heard a similar argument by companies selling programs. It seems they said that commercial products are more secure than open source code. It ended up that the open source code was better secured than commercial programs.

PS - There are also self-moderated forums that run quite well.

We can play this back and forth and it ends up that an isolated game made just by developers is mainly enjoyed by... just the developers.  Too much fan input will turn a game that is all about slaying and puzzles to one where you just... ice skate.  Oh wait, that was the devs again.

Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK DOES "Powered by our Fans" really mean?  It means you are creating a product for the FANS. We are paying you to produce something based on expectations (the D&D rules, perhaps?) Customer feedback?

All I see from Turbine right now can be summed up here:

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #639 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
I appreciate GreyMouser's post.  I may not agree with everything he said either, but he makes some valid points. 

AGREE:  A company cannot build based strictly on customer feedback.  That is a recipe for disaster.  Customers are too short sighted.  Also, not all customers are equal, in terms of the quality of feedback. 

HOWEVER, as several other posters have mentioned, lots of software companies  have user's groups, user councils, or whatever.  My company has a panel of 12 of our customers that we use to get feedback on direction and features.  We are not slaves to them and their comments, but many of the ideas, especially in the area of ease of use, UI, and "look and feel" are very helpful.  The general forums are a poor place to get design feedback.  Turbine needs a better way.

AGREE:  Customers who insult the employees are going to be ignored.  If your goal is to release some pent up anger, feel free to cuss out the team and act like an ass.  If your goal is to be heard on your ideas and suggestions, then present it with some logic and persuasiveness.  You cannot do both.  The two goals are mutually exclusive.  You cannot be an ass and get your design suggestion across.  And you can't be an ass today and nice tomorrow and have them listen to you.  After years of being an ass, you have become backgrond noise.    

HOWEVER, Turbine needs to appreciate that dedicated, commited fans are the ones that open their checkbook.  The emotional investment that comes with it will cause some people to react strongly when things change to the negative.  You want that emotional investment when it causes store sales.  You have to take the bad with that good.  The alternative is a customer base that doesn't complain because they don't give a shit.  The problem with this alternative is that they don't stay when you make a mistake or upset them.  They just leave and take their wallet with them.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #640 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Turbine "Powered by our fans"*

*Powered by our fans that do not complain about poor service, errors in coding, game play issues that are several years old, unfinished PREs, and frequent server crashes. In effect, Turbine is really powered by Chai. All other fans can feel free to suck it.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2013 at 2:36pm by stainer »  

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #641 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
We are the experts...be it Turbine on our game, the producer of some movie or TV show or what not. We are the gatekeepers.We are paid to live and breathe this stuff.

It's not believable that the people making decisions are experts, unless by "expert" you mean something other than "A person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area."

For example, an expert on itemization would not have released something that provides a non-stacking 2sp per melee hit or the other "Expert" who discovered that Conjuring 100 bolts per cast SUCKED and changed it to 1000 per cast eleven months and two weeks after everyone else who plays an artificer discovered the same thing (don't misunderstand - the change from 100 to 1000 is certainly a quality of life improvement, but it should have been done 11 months sooner than it was).

Further, it's not desirable for you or the people at Turbine to "live and breathe this stuff" to the point that you believe you're so expert that you refuse to learn from the people play the game.

It's necessary to remain objective, receptive to criticism and to new ideas, and not only to learn from your own mistakes, but to make a sincere effort to prevent your peers and successors from making the same mistakes as you.

The biggest issue with the internet is well, opinions are like assholes, everyone has them.Sadly most of the time it starts with ' Developer n is an assmunch...this is a better way.' Yeah, lost that dev at assmunch...that is human nature. Why would the dev read beyond it...and if he did, his defenses are already up and will discount any good ideas that may be there.That is just human nature. Try this. Walk into some restaurant and have the first thing out of your mouth be and insult. See what happens.

This reminds me of the "Pretty Please, with Sugar on Top, Clean the fucking car" scene from Pulp Fiction.

If I walked into a restaurant and was served Scrambled Eggs with Rat Feces, I wouldn't make an effort to be polite, and it wouldn't matter that I could pick the rat feces off the plate or that there were less rat feces this week than last.  Especially if I paid in advance for a meal that did not mention Rat Feces as an ingredient.

See even writing that I'm asking myself, why bother, I know there is now 20 posts of dick jokes in my future.

There were 20 PAGES of dick jokes in your future before you posted anything.  It was a sunk cost.  Why would you think that NOT writing anything would change that outcome?

Here's a dick joke for you:

Q.) Why does a penis have a hole in the end?
A.) So men can be open minded

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #642 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Because nothing is more fun than a omega golem rush and destroying everything in wvw.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2013 at 3:54pm by Soul »  

IP Logged

RJ
Korthos Resident

Dungeon Master

Reply #643 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Just wanted to drop in and say I just attained the "Dungeon Master" title after besting Arah P4 with my guild. Ohhh boy what a fun time...

If anyone ever needs help with Simin, I will come.

LvL 80s: Thief, Necro, Warrior, Guardian, and Elementalist. Leader of the Dragon Blood Cult [DBC] of Maguuma.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #644 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 2:29am
Print Post  
We are the experts...be it Turbine on our game, the producer of some movie or TV show or what not. We are the gatekeepers.We are paid to live and breathe this stuff. It is up to us to make those decisions.

Just wanted to check in with you and learn how awesome your company is again?

That WAS pretty snarky; Have you ever thought that those of us who play DDO are able to play because we have massive data centers that run just fine? We also wrote modules for D&D, ran conventions, understand playing the game?

The first thing I learned was that there is always, ALWAYS someone smarter than you.

Maybe you people at Turbine should get off your pedestal sometime and learn from your player base. They are smarter than you know...and it shows.

Hope the staff had a Happy Valentine's Day and President's Day...working!

/Snarky off  Wink

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #645 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 2:41am
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on Feb 16th, 2013 at 2:29am:
Just wanted to check in with you and learn how awesome your company is again?

That WAS pretty snarky; Have you ever thought that those of us who play DDO are able to play because we have massive data centers that run just fine? We also wrote modules for D&D, ran conventions, understand playing the game?

The first thing I learned was that there is always, ALWAYS someone smarter than you.

Maybe you people at Turbine should get off your pedestal sometime and learn from your player base. They are smarter than you know...and it shows.

Hope the staff had a Happy Valentine's Day and President's Day...working!

/Snarky off  Wink

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Quote:

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #646 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 2:45am
Print Post  
It is completely mind boggling to me how an upgrade can get delayed for a day then you somehow fuck it up so badly that the systems are down for 45 hours and counting.  It really unbelievable. It's a Dilbert cartoon.  Billing system maintenance...fuck me.

Quote:

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #647 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 7:50am
Print Post  
It is because the common theory is don't engage. It can actually kill your product. This may sound snarky, but I don't mean it that way at all. We are the experts...be it Turbine on our game, the producer of some movie or TV show or what not. We are the gatekeepers.We are paid to live and breathe this stuff. It is up to us to make those decisions.

Quote:
We couldn't agree more. I just checked in with our Quality Assurance team, and we have a reproduction of the new issue, as well as updated internal testing steps for them to follow when testing spell functionality.

The prior fix to the spell made it through our QA team due to an oversight- it was being tested in a situation against low level enemies who were unlikely to ever make a saving throw. As a result of that and some other factors, they weren't encountering this issue.

We've got an internal bug in on the new issue with the spell, and it'll get worked on by the appropriate developer.

Thanks for the reports, folks!

Maj, buddy... maybe you should make sure this stuff gets to Lam so the actual experts can test it.  Maybe in another 7 years you'll know how to play the game.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2013 at 7:55am by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #648 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 7:50am:
maybe you should make sure this stuff gets to Lam so the actual experts can test it.

You are good at this!

I am considering using Reddit to start ripping on Turbine. That is a social media outlet they don't have control over.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #649 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 11:33am
Print Post  
You guys, there are totally devs who have capped characters and there was once a guy who even TR'd!

Of course they're only testing Wail against Waterworks kobolds because that's the only quest they can complete.  They probably can't even complete it before getting access to insta-death spells.

Hey GreyMouser, PUHLEEZ tell me that FoS is going to be at PAX!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31
Send TopicPrint