Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Why GW2 is better than DDO (Read 195007 times)
karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Re: Why GW2 is better than DDO
Reply #725 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Apr 5th, 2013 at 4:31pm:
...Similar to Turbines interaction on droprates...

only with answers.  and competence.  and... accuracy.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #726 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Do I want Digital or Digital Deluxe?  i.e. are these perks actually meaningful or junk shit like the trinket of waterbreathing, etc?

Summon Mistfire Wolf Elite Skill*
Miniature Rytlock*
Golem Banker*
Chalice of Glory*
Tome of Influence*

all from https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #727 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
The shit that you get for Deluxe is meh at best.  I went regular digital and haven't regretted it.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #728 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 11:00am
Print Post  
So, for my belated contribution to the OP:

My only lag experience is the first minute or so of joining - it's noticeable, but only somewhat.  Once all the initial data streaming stops, I don't get any noticeable lag.  I haven't done anything but open-world events (no dungeons), so those might be slightly different.

I am having issues retraining fingers to hit the right effing button.  Not the game's fault, but I look like a first time DDO monk trying to run Shan To Kor.

This one's Wine-only, but framerate is in the 20's.  When I log in using my MacBook, though, the framerate is in the 88-95 range... so again, not something for which I can blame NCSoft.  Gonna try a buncha tweaks to see if I can get it to stabilize in the 60's.

The ONLY one of these negatives I am having issues with is the Black Lion Trading Company display is not working at all - UI comes up, but there's nothing in it - both Mac and Linux.  I blame awesomium.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #729 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
The only lag I get is during the world boss fights when there's a bazillion people with a bazillion spell effects going off.  I can still move around fine, I just get skill lag.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #730 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Apr 5th, 2013 at 4:57pm:
Do I want Digital or Digital Deluxe?  i.e. are these perks actually meaningful or junk shit like the trinket of waterbreathing, etc?

Summon Mistfire Wolf Elite Skill*
Miniature Rytlock*
Golem Banker*
Chalice of Glory*
Tome of Influence*

all from https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/

Not worth it.  I had in game gold enough to upgrade a bit back and did not waste the money.  Golem Banker, if unlimited uses (*EDIT* Only 5 days, even less worth it), would be useful, but just buy gems or use gold to buy it.  Others are not even close to being worth it imo. Some might like the mini if you wanna be a collector and 'get 'em all'

« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2013 at 5:12pm by livefreeordie »  

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #731 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
My new favorite part of GW2:  Hearing Breaken yell, "MONKEYFUCKER" every time the monkeys throw their poo at him in the Adventure Box.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #732 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
My new favorite part of GW2:  Hearing Breaken yell, "MONKEYFUCKER" every time the monkeys throw their poo at him in the Adventure Box.

The sense of humor of the writers is fantastic - I ran into the NPC's talking about testing the Skrit for IQ last night, had to stop for a few and stop laughing.

I forgot how nice it is to have voiceovers for NPC's as you're walking around.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #733 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Apr 7th, 2013 at 5:11pm:
Not worth it.  I had in game gold enough to upgrade a bit back and did not waste the money.  Golem Banker, if unlimited uses (*EDIT* Only 5 days, even less worth it), would be useful, but just buy gems or use gold to buy it.  Others are not even close to being worth it imo. Some might like the mini if you wanna be a collector and 'get 'em all'

Yeah, this. I got a cool stuff for the same as basic offer and would be pushed to say what the cool stuff was, tbh. Save your pennies.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #734 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Yah, I went basic version - got it on sale, too Cheesy

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #735 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Free Weekend April 19-21

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=32156

Cant find ANet statement on it.  Bit lame in that its through Zam and not current players or ANet.  But that whole thing about a gift horse ect...

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #736 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Wonder if people will be smart and do a pre-download - or if they even will be given the ability to do that.  Nothing would cool down the FTP experience faster than having to wait 3 hours for the download to complete and game to install.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #737 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Apr 7th, 2013 at 6:28pm:
The sense of humor of the writers is fantastic - I ran into the NPC's talking about testing the Skrit for IQ last night, had to stop for a few and stop laughing.

I forgot how nice it is to have voiceovers for NPC's as you're walking around.

I'm a dork and love wandering the world and listening to the NPC conversations.  The GW2 ones are just done so well.

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #738 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm a dork and love wandering the world and listening to the NPC conversations.  The GW2 ones are just done so well.

"More come, yes"

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #739 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Just started realizing how much shit I actually missed (lvl 15 now) as I was going through.  Starting tonight, I gotta go back and finish all the optionals in the previous areas (i.e. vistas, etc) for the bonus XP.

I was a little off-kilter when it downlevelled me on going backwards (in area/mob level); but the more I do that, the more I like that mechanic.

The feel from this game is more like "this is something you do to have fun" rather than "you have this much work ahead of you".  I still like the quest mechanic in DnD, but this has some serious merit.

I presume the "work for it" mechanic comes in for dungeons later?

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #740 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Apr 9th, 2013 at 5:13pm:
I presume the "work for it" mechanic comes in for dungeons later?

Yes and no.  The most grind I've encountered is collecting shit for my Legendary Weapon.  You don't have to deck yourself out in gear from Ascalonian Catacombs to run Twilight Arbor, so not much of a gear treadmill either.  You can get great gear just looting chests from world events and rewards from completing maps (you get a chest for completing all vistas, explorer points, skill points and waypoints per zone).  I've made tons of gold selling the runes that I've gotten from gear for completing the level 80 zones in Orr.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2013 at 5:44pm by »  

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #741 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yes and no.  The most grind I've encountered is collecting shit for my Legendary Weapon.  You don't have to deck yourself out in gear from Ascalonian Catacombs to run Twilight Arbor, so not much of a gear treadmill either.  You can get great gear just looting chests from world events and rewards from completing maps (you get a chest for completing all vistas, explorer points, skill points and waypoints per zone).  I've made tons of gold selling the runes that I've gotten from gear for completing the level 80 zones in Orr.

Oh holy shit gold - currency MEANS something in this.  I played GW1, but I had forgotten about how hard it is at first to get money built up.  After a little while, though, I remembered all the gotchas (such as don't salvage dumb shit - sell dumb shit... ROI on cost of salvage kits etc.).

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #742 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
On gear (then I gotta go cook for a few hours):

How many pieces of gear have some "FoS corrupt-a-wish" stat on them?

... that's what I thought.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #743 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Apr 9th, 2013 at 6:13pm:
On gear (then I gotta go cook for a few hours):

How many pieces of gear have some "FoS corrupt-a-wish" stat on them?

... that's what I thought.

Ha!  So true.  I love that the gear is so customizable with the upgrade slots.  What class are you playing?

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #744 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Thief.  asura d/d right now... was using p/d for a bit.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #745 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Apr 9th, 2013 at 6:21pm:
Thief.  asura d/d right now... was using p/d for a bit.

I have a d/d norn thief and I like her.  She was my favorite until I made my sylvari ranger.  Pewpewpew!

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #746 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
the combat in this game is great, and flows smoothly.......

I just haven't found a character I really want to play yet.....I have a level 34 human warrior (who I leveled from 11 to 34 in one weekend when ddo was down, I get every vista and such in every zone i go through as I play so ya.....), 21 asuran ele, a lvl 5 sylvari thief, lvl 8 charr guardian, and a level 1 norn ranger.

I really wish they had a "divine" themed class (like the monk from GW1) for more holy casting type stuff......that is kinda my thing lol, although my ele is pretty fun.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2013 at 8:22pm by kierg10 »  

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #747 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Right now complexity is created by lack of combat and utility slots... i can see possibilities for adding multi classing later tho.  right now i got enough issues with choosing what to put in 5 & 3 with 1 class, heh.
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:07pm by karatekid »  

IP Logged

karatekid

Reply #748 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
kierg10 wrote on Apr 9th, 2013 at 8:21pm:
the combat in this game is great, and flows smoothly.......

I just haven't found a character I really want to play yet.....I have a level 34 human warrior (who I leveled from 11 to 34 in one weekend when ddo was down, I get every vista and such in every zone i go through as I play so ya.....), 21 asuran ele, a lvl 5 sylvari thief, lvl 8 charr guardian, and a level 1 norn ranger.

I really wish they had a "divine" themed class (like the monk from GW1) for more holy casting type stuff......that is kinda my thing lol, although my ele is pretty fun.

i played mesmer in gw 1... neede to try something new

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #749 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
kierg10 wrote on Apr 9th, 2013 at 8:21pm:

I think Guardian is closest to this.  Think Battle cleric with mace and shield and shouts.  Very hard to kill, with some healing and lots of buffs.  Or staff for some buffs, healing and AoE Range.  They like to purge with fire Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 
Send TopicPrint