Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Elder Scrolls Online- comprehensive preview (Read 528 times)
Silky
Shroud Slacker

The Elder Scrolls Online- comprehensive preview
Oct 23rd, 2012 at 1:35am
Print Post  
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2012 at 1:37am by Silky »  

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online- comprehensive preview
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 2:44am
Print Post  
Cuanta puta, y yo que viejo.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
I'm as giddy as a little girl!

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 5:01pm
Print Post  

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Seems more like Elder Scrolls with MMO elements than a MMO with Elder Scrolls window dressing. This is a good thing.

IP Logged

Nubicus
Dragon Raider

Dick 2020

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 3:27am
Print Post  
This is the game I'm waiting for. I will be dropping out of DDO for it.

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 2:56am
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:29pm:
Seems more like Elder Scrolls with MMO elements than a MMO with Elder Scrolls window dressing. This is a good thing.

Is the impression I got, lets hope they don't fuck it up. I seriously need something to replace DDO at some point .

IP Logged

RJ
Korthos Resident

Dungeon Master

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Read the entire thing and this sounds like GW2, but with the boring combat Skyrim had once you figured out how easy everything was.

GW2 was here first.

LvL 80s: Thief, Necro, Warrior, Guardian, and Elementalist. Leader of the Dragon Blood Cult [DBC] of Maguuma.

IP Logged

Milton
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
I've given up on all MMOs... the current gaming industry folk have failed miserably in even the understanding of the importance of a diverse and engrossing end game, that should be superior to any levelling experience felt by players.

IP Logged

wumpus
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 11:57am
Print Post  
RJ wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 8:10am:
Read the entire thing and this sounds like GW2, but with the boring combat Skyrim had once you figured out how easy everything was.

GW2 was here first.

All that assumes is that they tune the combat to "easy".  I got into Oblivion late, got addicted, and heard that DDO was going f2p somewhat afterwards.  Sure enough, DDO seemed close enough to both Oblivion and D&D (I played first ed AD&D).

Elder Scrolls sounds like a chance to start over without all the creaking mess that Turbine has added to keep up with their own power creep.

The big news is that after announcing ESO, all further information implied that the game would be as derivative of WoW as possible.  Each new release made me less and less interested.  This "review" seems to give hope back that there might at least be some interest.  Prediction: regardless of what their plans are, "phazing" will amount to little more than the difference between "snowy korthos" and "sunny korthos".  The instant response by skryrim fans are "why didn't you put that in a game where it would work, instead of a MMO" (ignoring the different studios)?

IP Logged

Combat Wombat
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
heh was reading a article not sure if its one of these because I am to lazy to read them. But it starts out with how amazing it is that they kept the mmo just like the other elder scrolls games but then the next fucking thing they talk about is how they are shoehorning you into a class which is very anti-elder scrolls.... long story short is this is just gonna be another fucking cookie cutter mmo that will fail almost instantly just like TOR and everything else thats come down the pipe since like 2006.

IP Logged

wumpus
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2012 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Combat Wombat wrote on Nov 5th, 2012 at 10:55pm:
heh was reading a article not sure if its one of these because I am to lazy to read them. But it starts out with how amazing it is that they kept the mmo just like the other elder scrolls games but then the next fucking thing they talk about is how they are shoehorning you into a class which is very anti-elder scrolls.... long story short is this is just gonna be another fucking cookie cutter mmo that will fail almost instantly just like TOR and everything else thats come down the pipe since like 2006.

It also mentions that "every class can get every skill".  Oblivion had classes (broken idiot classes, but you always had to have a class).  What matters in an elder scrolls game are your skills.  I would wonder how limited 5 keys will be (is there a DDO player who has less than 5 hotbars?).  I would also assume that something like the DDO epic destiny thing would be needed: "you are allowed at most 100 active skill points, you can learn more but can't have them all active at once".

Fixing "super-duper key function" to class is likely a problem.

I'd still keep this on a fairly short list of "might not suck" games.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Nov 8th, 2012 at 10:51am
Print Post  
www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1_Fr6VF_1LA

Looks pretty hot, but the combat is going to be lacking from what i can tell (this early).  Skyrim, Morrowind ect all got boring combat wise, and it seems they are not breaking the mold for these. 

Alot of what they say about the gaming system (mega server) and PvP sounds like they could be talking about GW2
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2012 at 10:59am by livefreeordie »  

IP Logged

wumpus
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Nov 8th, 2012 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Some notes:

All combat shown was boss-type beat downs.  Even more boring than standard elder scrolls combat.

One megaserver implies no way to avoid pvp.  Certainly gives Bethesda more ways to make it suck.  How does GW2 work with this?  I suspect the idea is "you will like pvp or you wouldn't play a game called 'guild wars', would you?".

Still curious for it to come out.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Nov 8th, 2012 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
There is no field PvP in GW2 and it sounds the same for Elder Scrolls.  Only PvP in GW2 is in areas that are fully unrelated to the game.  You could never PvP or interact with a person PvPing if you did not want to in GW2 (although you would miss a fun part of the game)

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #15 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 1:42am
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Nov 8th, 2012 at 4:45pm:
There is no field PvP in GW2 and it sounds the same for Elder Scrolls.  Only PvP in GW2 is in areas that are fully unrelated to the game.  You could never PvP or interact with a person PvPing if you did not want to in GW2 (although you would miss a fun part of the game)

From what I've read each of the 3 factions has its own maps where the other faction can't go with a couple maps where they intersect or can all mingle and pvp.

IP Logged

RJ
Korthos Resident

Dungeon Master

Reply #16 - Nov 10th, 2012 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Silky wrote on Nov 9th, 2012 at 1:42am:
From what I've read each of the 3 factions has its own maps where the other faction can't go with a couple maps where they intersect or can all mingle and pvp.

Yes. Three large maps with battles occurring everywhere. Keeps, castles, supply camps, supply dolyaks, towers, etc. I believe only a small section of each servers *home battleground* is safe. The rest can be conquered by other servers.

LvL 80s: Thief, Necro, Warrior, Guardian, and Elementalist. Leader of the Dragon Blood Cult [DBC] of Maguuma.

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #17 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
RJ wrote on Nov 10th, 2012 at 11:28pm:
Yes. Three large maps with battles occurring everywhere. Keeps, castles, supply camps, supply dolyaks, towers, etc. I believe only a small section of each servers *home battleground* is safe. The rest can be conquered by other servers.

Think you might be wrong here from what I have read http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/view/forums/thread/368710/page/1 the faction http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/game-guide/alliances pve maps are locked to that faction only and you have one area for pvp, namely Cyrodiil 
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2012 at 2:11pm by Silky »  

IP Logged

RJ
Korthos Resident

Dungeon Master

Reply #18 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Oops, sorry. Quoted wrong person, I was speaking of GW2.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint